Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2009, 20:12   #3391
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Thanks man. Any comments on my exposure query?
For deliberately under/over exposing in situations that warrant it.
Old 7th September 2009, 20:34   #3392
Team-BHP Support

GTO, pretty much everything has been covered by ImmortalZ.

Quote:
+1 on the dust. Two days and the lens already needs cleaning. Will call for a filter + LCD protector. Thanks.
Then the dust will be on the UV filter. GTO, there is no real need for the UV filter. I have stopped buying UV filter for every lens.

Quote:
Just to confirm : If we crop a 4:3 into a 16:9, there is no loss in quality (vis a vis clicking it in 16:9 mode)?
cropping doesn't alter resolution or quality, it is just reframing. Better to do it on computer screen. Leave it at 4:3.

Quote:
Somehow, when using it last evening, I couldn't force flash in auto mode (possible in other modes though). Will play around some more. Thanks.
Looks like it is truely auto. Then stick to P mode.

Quote:
One more : Even in auto mode, you can set the exposure (-2 <-> +2). Right now, its on 0. What conditions do I use - / + in?
Under some lighting conditions, the camera exposure meter can get confused. If you are shooting a black car under the harsh sun, the camera will underexpose the car. Similarly, shooting a white car in dim light can overexpose the car. This setting lets you compensate.
Old 7th September 2009, 20:56   #3393
BHPian

Quote:

Questions:

1. Three aspect ratio settings (switch on the lens) = 4:3, 3:2 and 16:9. Which one do I use to shoot cars?

2. On the side of the lens is a switch which allows you to toggle between AF, AF (with a flowery symbol) and MF. Again, which one to shoot cars?

3. A button named "AF / AE lock". Any value to the intended purpose?

4. There's a small circular button titled "focus" on the top (next to click button). What's that for?

5. Doesn't seem to be a way to "force flash use" in full auto mode (Sony has it). Any cause for concern?

]
1. Confess, I am not an expert, But I know for sure that LX3 does not crop from a 4:3. Actually the native sensor is 3:2. But it has some clever way of keeping the diagonal length same resulting in different information in each settings. Regarding which to use, after working with it for some time, I prefer the 16:9 the most as I mostly view it on my PC(Fullscreen) and 16:9 matches the screen ratio of my monitor. If you plan to print postcards, you probably want to go 3:2. You can google LX3 and aspect ratio for more info.

2. for point on shoot, AF. AF with the flower sign if you want to take some real close ups (Say 30 cm or closer). MF is probably not for you since you are more of a point and shoot guy..

5.In iA mode, the camera takes the decisions for you on which scene mode to pcik. Hence it will also decide whether to use flash or not :-) (Some scene modes do not work with flash). It works 'most' of the times. I use the P Mode more now a days(Which is the typical Auto Mode. iA is an Auto mode which tries to decide which scene mode to pick.) and I can force the flash in this. I can also change the power of the flash pretty easily

Enjoy the new camera and keep those reviews flowing in..

(Tip: When taking close ups of family, try the dynamic and smooth B&Ws. Will leave you with some amazing snaps
Tip2: The only thing I didn't like about the LX3 so far is that it doesn't have an automatic lens cover (like my Sony). You have to manually remove the cover. - There is a Ricoh lens cover that fits the camera and if you can get it from someone returning from U.S, there is an easy way of creating an automatic lens cover. Google LX 3 Lens Cover Hack Ricoh)
Old 7th September 2009, 21:37   #3394
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by muni View Post
Is Fz35/38 available. If so they are quite light weight compared to the other cameras. Canon Sx20IS is already out and retails at 430USD i think ( a friend of mine bought one recently). The best bet would be to pick up Canon Sx10IS or Fz28 where you might possibly get gud deals. A friend of mine bought one recently and it has got a lot of features that you will be happy toying around. U cant go wrong with either Canon or Panasonic.

Grey market prices would be roughly around the US Prices.
Thanks..will wait for few more days...Price Dropped to 359$ for Panasonic FZ35.

GTO--I really liked your Panasonic LX3....
Old 8th September 2009, 00:59   #3395
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenster View Post
Hey Friends,

I currently shoot with a Canon Powershot A640 (7.1mp 4x). Its served me well for the last 3.5years. I am looking for an upgrade now.

I have shortlisted the Sony DSC-HX1. So, I'd love to you reviews from all for this model especially from its users for first hand feedback and experts who can read between the lines/number on its spec-sheets.

Also I am open to suggestions for anything better based on the following things i'm looking for.
(Budget: 30k Max with all accessories. Buying from US is also an open option, so suggest accordidngly)
1. Great Image Quality (even in low light or night modes)
2. Super Zoom
3. Great Video Quality with higher resolutions and optical zoom available in video (My current canon shoots videos only at 640x480 at 30fps and no optical zoom is available while shooting)
4. Comparatively easier to use, since i'd like to catch my daughter red-handed while doing all the fun stuff then be juggling through the settings . On my current Canon, there are quite a few things to play with too, but DSLR are too complicated to be Fun.

Like always, All suggestions are welcome..
Hey Guys, any suggestions based on my requirements? I need to zero down on a cam soon. Please help me out
Old 8th September 2009, 01:28   #3396
BHPian

Quote:
Hey Guys, any suggestions based on my requirements? I need to zero down on a cam soon. Please help me out
No clue about the Sony model.. But you can check the tests for:

'Compact Super Zoom' Camera Group Test (Q2 2009) Review: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review
'Super Zoom' Camera Group Test (Q1 2009) Review: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review

to get an idea about other offerings

Generally, Canon and Panasonic are considered the leaders right now in range that you are looking for. I believe both the companies have announced newer models which should fit in your budget, especially if you can have it brought from US.(Or you can get good deals on the earlier models)..

A personal suggestion: Zoom at the expense of pocketability can cause you not taking the camera in a lot of situations where you would have taken a pocketable camera just because of the inconvenience. Try to see how many times you have really used the telephoto feature of your Canon..

Anyway, happy hunting..
Old 8th September 2009, 03:22   #3397
BHPian

Quote:
Hey, is panny FZ35 good option? or Canon SX20

Amamzon says FZ35 at $449.95 with 8GB card and accessories: Amazon.com: Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35/K 12.1MP Digital Camera + 8GB Deluxe Accessory Kit: Electronics

Is this is a good deal..?
Old 8th September 2009, 09:21   #3398
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Amamzon says FZ35 at $449.95 with 8GB card and accessories: Amazon.com: Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35/K 12.1MP Digital Camera + 8GB Deluxe Accessory Kit: Electronics

Hey Zenster,

Amazon is good if you are planning to have the camera delivered to India, but if you are having it delivered to an address in the US, it's prices are usually a little bit on the higher side.

Do this: Go to PriceGrabber.com - Comparison Shopping, Online Shopping, Product Reviews or Deals2buy: Everyday hot deals and coupons, search for the best available deals for the camera you've chosen, then read the ratings and reviews for that particular online vendor on Store Ratings and Reviews by Real People - Trusted Online Shopping. If you feel that's a reliable vendor and a good price, then go for it. Some of the better vendors that give good deals are B&H Photo Video | Digital Cameras, Camcorders, Welcome To Vanns.com, Digital Cameras / Electronics at RitzCamera.com - Free Shipping & No Sales Tax on Qualifying Orders. Mind you, apart from Amazon, all these other online vendors do not deliver outside the US.

Btw, are there substantial differences between a Canon SX20/Panasonic FZ35 and SX10/FZ28 respectively? Looking at your camera buying criteria, the SX10/FZ28 should be more than enough for your needs. Also, in your budget, you can buy them in India with a valid warranty.

Like the SX20, the SX10 also has a LCD that can be flipped out at various angles, which is a great feature to have while video recording/photographing kids. The FZ28 is also a very good camera, though without the flip out LCD feature. So why not buy either of these? You'll save a few bucks, which you can use for buying accessories like a camera bag, memory card, spare battery etc.

Just my $0.02.

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 8th September 2009 at 09:23. Reason: Typo correction
Old 8th September 2009, 15:18   #3399
BHPian

Quote:

Actually it costs 369.95 or around this on amazon
Amazon.com: Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35 12.1MP Digital Camera with 18x POWER Optical Image Stabilized Zoom and 2.7 inch LCD: Camera & Photo . The link you gave was a reseller link. (Amazon reseller can be as bad as ebay at times- from my personal exp)

But you canot expect a 'good deal' for a recently launched model..
You can check the Pana thread in dpreview for more info on the camera. Doubt folks here would know as the camera has just been launched internationally..
Panasonic Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
Old 8th September 2009, 16:20   #3400
GTO
Team-BHP Support

As always, thanks for the help dudes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitha View Post
For deliberately under/over exposing in situations that warrant it.
Quote:
under some lighting conditions, the camera exposure meter can get confused. If you are shooting a black car under the harsh sun, the camera will underexpose the car. Similarly, shooting a white car in dim light can overexpose the car. This setting lets you compensate.
So if its too bright, what setting would I use (- or +)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by devakj View Post
I use the P Mode more now a days(Which is the typical Auto Mode. iA is an Auto mode which tries to decide which scene mode to pick.) and I can force the flash in this. I can also change the power of the flash pretty easily
Quote:
When taking close ups of family, try the dynamic and smooth B&Ws. Will leave you with some amazing snaps
Useful tips. Appreciate it.
Old 8th September 2009, 21:51   #3401
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Hey Zenster,

Amazon is good if you are planning to have the camera delivered to India, but if you are having it delivered to an address in the US, it's prices are usually a little bit on the higher side.

Do this: Go to PriceGrabber.com - Comparison Shopping, Online Shopping, Product Reviews or Deals2buy: Everyday hot deals and coupons, search for the best available deals for the camera you've chosen, then read the ratings and reviews for that particular online vendor on Store Ratings and Reviews by Real People - Trusted Online Shopping. If you feel that's a reliable vendor and a good price, then go for it. Some of the better vendors that give good deals are B&H Photo Video | Digital Cameras, Camcorders, Welcome To Vanns.com, Digital Cameras / Electronics at RitzCamera.com - Free Shipping & No Sales Tax on Qualifying Orders. Mind you, apart from Amazon, all these other online vendors do not deliver outside the US.

Btw, are there substantial differences between a Canon SX20/Panasonic FZ35 and SX10/FZ28 respectively? Looking at your camera buying criteria, the SX10/FZ28 should be more than enough for your needs. Also, in your budget, you can buy them in India with a valid warranty.

Like the SX20, the SX10 also has a LCD that can be flipped out at various angles, which is a great feature to have while video recording/photographing kids. The FZ28 is also a very good camera, though without the flip out LCD feature. So why not buy either of these? You'll save a few bucks, which you can use for buying accessories like a camera bag, memory card, spare battery etc.

Just my $0.02.

Cheers,
Vikram
Quote:
Originally Posted by devakj View Post
Actually it costs 369.95 or around this on amazon
Amazon.com: Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35 12.1MP Digital Camera with 18x POWER Optical Image Stabilized Zoom and 2.7 inch LCD: Camera & Photo . The link you gave was a reseller link. (Amazon reseller can be as bad as ebay at times- from my personal exp)

But you canot expect a 'good deal' for a recently launched model..
You can check the Pana thread in dpreview for more info on the camera. Doubt folks here would know as the camera has just been launched internationally..
Panasonic Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
Hey Vikram and deva, thanks a lot for your inputs. I have been through most of the reviews (Including DP Review) of the FZ35/38 and love all the sample pics and videos available from realtime users (on youtube etc.) The prize is ok for me for the FZ35 ($370=INR 18500 not bad at all).

I would be getting it delivered to a US address most likely, not getting it shipped to India for sure, hence thanks for the international online sopping tips.

And between FZ35 and FZ28 i prefer the former because of the better image stabalization (Power OIS), HD movies in AVHCD, stereo mic,adjust shutter speed and aperture for movie recording, faster AF etc. So at a price tag of below 20k i think its still a steal.

Thanks for your inputs guys. I'll pick it up next month most likely. Will keep you posted if anyone is interested.

P.S: Looking it up again and i find a deal for as low as $360.(Dont know how reliable though.) Panasonic DMC-FZ35K 12.1mp Digital Camera - Black

Last edited by Zenster : 8th September 2009 at 21:55. Reason: New Price
Old 8th September 2009, 22:22   #3402
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Looking it up again and i find a deal for as low as $360.(Dont know how reliable though.) Panasonic DMC-FZ35K 12.1mp Digital Camera - Black
Stay away from this site (Welcome to Abes of Maine). Even though they have good deals, they always try to upsell lots of unwanted stuff to the point where it gets really annoying. Also, their delivery times are never as advertised and a lot of follow up is needed. I bought my FZ28 from them, and it was delivered almost a week late (the promised delivery was in 5 days).

Do post your feedback about the FZ35 once you get it, along with some sample pics.

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 9th September 2009, 03:02   #3403
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Stay away from this site (Welcome to Abes of Maine). Even though they have good deals, they always try to upsell lots of unwanted stuff to the point where it gets really annoying. Also, their delivery times are never as advertised and a lot of follow up is needed. I bought my FZ28 from them, and it was delivered almost a week late (the promised delivery was in 5 days).

Do post your feedback about the FZ35 once you get it, along with some sample pics.

Cheers,
Vikram
Hey Vikram, thanks for warning me again, the deals sure are delicious but then i wouldn't want all the hassle as one of my friends will get it to me from there. Since you mentioned that reseller ratings site is reliable (Panasonic 12.1MP DMC-FZ35K Digital Camera - Black: Compare Prices, View Price History and Read Reviews at NexTag), would buying from someone like '42ndStreetPhoto' or 'BEACHCAMERA' or 'BUYDIGG' ok ? Any info on trusted online dealer with good rates will be helpful.

As i mentioned thanks for all your help, I sure will post my thoughts and sample here as soon as i get it next month.
Old 9th September 2009, 04:31   #3404
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Since you mentioned that reseller ratings site is reliable (Panasonic 12.1MP DMC-FZ35K Digital Camera - Black: Compare Prices, View Price History and Read Reviews at NexTag), would buying from someone like '42ndStreetPhoto' or 'BEACHCAMERA' or 'BUYDIGG' ok ?
I haven't ordered anything from these sites, but since all 3 have a user rating of above 9, they should be fine. As I mentioned in a previous post, BH Photo Video, Vanns, Amazon are good. But not sure if they'll have good deals since the FZ35 is quite a new model. You can also ask your friend to check with a local electronics store in his city/town; you never know, they just might match the online price & you'll have the advantage of actually checking the camera before buying it.
Old 14th September 2009, 07:38   #3405
BHPian

Looking to buy a good digital camera. Have shortlisted the following.
Would be going through the reviews, however any advice from anyone who has experience/owns any of the following would be much appreciated.

Canon Powershot SX120IS Digital Camera - INR 14,995
Canon Powershot SX 120 IS Digital Camera - 10 Megapixel

Megpixel : 10 MP
Optical Zoom : 10x
LCD Screen : 3.0"
Movie Mode : 30frames/sec
Warranty : 2 Years from Canon India

Other Features
a] Optical Image Stabilization
b] Face Detection
c] Auto Red-Eye Correction

FREE : 2GB SD Card (or upgrade to higher capacity)
FREE from JJMehta : Nippo 4pcs NiMH Battery and Battery Charger worth Rs 800
FREE from JJMehta : Camera Pouch (Indian)

Nikon Coolpix L100 - INR 16.995
Nikon Coolpix L00 Digital Camera - 10 Megapixel - Now Available in India , Mumbai , Delhi , Chennai

Optical Zoom : 15x
Warranty : 2 Years from Nikon

Other Features
a] Vibration Reduction
b] 4x Anti Blur
c] Scene Auto Selector

FREE : 4GB SD Card (or upgrade to higher capacity)
FREE : 4pcs NiMH Battery and Charger
FREE : Camera Case

Sony Cybershot DSC H20- INR 17,800
Sony Cybershot DSC H20 Digital Camera - 10 Megapixel

Optical Zoom : 10x
Warranty : 3 Years from Sony India

Other Features
a] Carl Zeiss Lens
b] HD Movie
c] Anti Blink Function
d] Smile Shutter Technology

FREE : 4GB Memory Stick DUO PRO (or upgrade to higher capacity)
FREE : Original Sony Camera Case worth Rs 290

Olympus SP-565 Ultra Zoom Digital Camera - INR 16,500
Olympus SP-565 Ultra Zoom Digital Camera - 10 Megapixel

Optical Zoom : 20x
LCD Screen : 2.5"
Movie Mode : 30 frames/sec
Warranty : 2 Years from Olympus India

Other Features
a] Digital Image Stabilization
b] Face Detection
c] Fully Manual Exposure Control

FREE : 2GB MicroSD Card
FREE : Simpex 333 Tripod
FREE : 4pcs NiMH Battery and Charger

Last edited by Fillmore : 14th September 2009 at 07:41.

Most Viewed