Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2010, 15:47   #4051
BHPian

Thanks @tsk, its a good solution and i think its high time i upgrade from my old buddy since 2006 Kodak DX 7590, 5mp 10x.

Only problem is i don't use credit card or online payment. So lets see if any of the Guwahati vendors could get me one.

Checked out the links, like the Holux. One of the reasons, its made in Taiwan, can't trust Chinese stuff.

Last edited by San Phrangmung : 16th August 2010 at 15:56. Reason: Update
Old 16th August 2010, 16:50   #4052
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamdiesel View Post
Vinod Camera and Flashes, Burma Bazaar. Its the one opposite to Tribhuvan theatre. Its the 8 or 9th shop on the right when you enter Burma Bazaar. Contact Vinod.
Thanks for the info. I will surely contact the store.
Old 16th August 2010, 17:26   #4053
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
This is how you would work.
On your trip you would switch on the logger, and it would start logging your position in gpx format.
1. GPX file recorded by the logger
2. Path to image folder(where you have downloaded the images from your camera)
3. GMT offset which is 5.5 hours in our case.
This might sound retarted but, TSK, why go through so much trouble.

When I travel I download my pics and label them with terminology I will understand.

On a recent trip to Singapore I created folders for each activity we did there. So my folder list looks like this. GPS locations would have been crazy to read.
a. Singapore Bird Park
b. Dinner with Rohini at Jim Thomson
c. Singapore Zoo
d. Singapore Night Safari
e. Lawerence takes us to Jumbo's (East Coast)
f. Singapore Science Center
g. Clarke Quay and Boat Quay
h. Singapore Flyer and Duck Tour
i. The "Fantastic Seven" at Otto's (Marina)
j. Sentosa by day - Tower, Underwater, 3D movies, Dolphin lagoon (now a pool) etc..
k. Sentosa by night - Dancing waters and Dinner at Braise
l. Shoping at Orchard - Adi falls in love with Rosti at Le Marche (Orchard).
m. Last night in Singapore - Dinner with Gul and N at Bonta Italiana.
n. Singapore Airport - Leaving "la" Singapura!

Last edited by navin : 16th August 2010 at 17:28.
Old 16th August 2010, 17:30   #4054
Team-BHP Support

When you run gpicsync, it also ads the location name for each trackpoint.
For example, pics taken around kunzum pass will show kunzum pass in the keywords.
Moreover, what you do is good enough when you are traveling in a city.
When I am on a driving holiday and driving 110 kms and taking pics, its good to know where what pic was taken.
For example
We drove from Pangong to Hanle in a few hours duration.
On the way I took quite a few pics at Chushul and Rezang-la War memorials.
So my photo when uploaded to smugmug shows
Taken at Latitude/Longitude:33.595143/78.654660. 2.12 km South-East Chushul Kashmir India (Map link)
you can view it here
Chushul Hanle - Tanveer Singh (tanveer)'s Photos

So this basically means, if any viewer wants to see the pic location in google maps, all that person has to do is click on the "map link".

Last edited by tsk1979 : 16th August 2010 at 17:31.
Old 16th August 2010, 18:46   #4055
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
This might sound retarted but, TSK, why go through so much trouble.

When I travel I download my pics and label them with terminology I will understand.

On a recent trip to Singapore I created folders for each activity we did there. So my folder list looks like this. GPS locations would have been crazy to read.
because in this case you know the names of the landmarks, and they have been tracked millions of times by tourists. I believe TSK is logging the locations almost never recorded on GPS maps.
Old 16th August 2010, 19:39   #4056
BHPian

I require GPS and geotagging because most of the places in my region are not at all or wrongly mapped. And to upload to sites like Panoramio locational information is a must.

Its not about file name and folders but correct location.
Old 16th August 2010, 20:15   #4057
Senior - BHPian

where do I get a CPL filter for my panny FZ35? tried in Fort area and in Bangy forum mall but drew a blank in both. Help..
Old 17th August 2010, 11:05   #4058
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
where do I get a CPL filter for my panny FZ35? tried in Fort area and in Bangy forum mall but drew a blank in both. Help..
Even I am looking for the same. Tried searching at various places near National market. No UV or CPL filter in the 46mm range that suits FZ35. Though I found a seller on ebay selling Marumi UV and CPL filter.

eBay India: NEW MARUMI UV+ CPL FILTER FOR PANASONIC FZ28 FZ36 46mm (item 230510351609 end time 18-Aug-2010 12:50:32 IST)

Goandude, do let me know in case you find some place in Bangalore which stock these 46mm filters. I will also try searching around.

I am also looking for a decent Tripod for the FZ35. Are are tripods compatible with other branded cameras. I mean the dimension of the screw.. Is it of the standard dimension for all cameras??

I have looked at a Sony Tripod costing 1990.. Not sure whether the FZ35 will be perfect with the Sony Tripod. Any info on this?
Old 17th August 2010, 11:50   #4059
BHPian

Planning to buy a 70-300 IS lens... confused between Canon and Sigma. Please help and advise

Cheers
Old 17th August 2010, 12:02   #4060
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
because in this case you know the names of the landmarks, and they have been tracked millions of times by tourists. I believe TSK is logging the locations almost never recorded on GPS maps.
I know the landmark by what it is called. The Singapore Zoo is the Singapore Zoo. I dont need GPS to tell me that.

I assume the "kunzum pass" will be marked too. Or is that the "kunzum pass" wil be called something else or is not marked correctly? I am still confused.

I respect TSK (he knows that) hence I wonder what does he know that I dont. I hate to use technolgoy just for the sake of it (also becuase I not very good with technology - atleast not as good as the youngsters here). It has to solve a real world problem otherwise it just slows me down.

Quote:
On the way I took quite a few pics at Chushul and Rezang-la War memorials.
So this basically means, if any viewer wants to see the pic location in google maps, all that person has to do is click on the "map link".
Ok 3 questions.

a. how does your camera know and where does you camera log in this information? The information is appended to the EXIF information?
b. When I upload pics from my camera I get a serial number not a name. How do I get it to say "Singapore Zoo 17/8/10 12:10:07" instead of "DSC-0001".
c. why would a user want to go to Google Maps? If I label a pic as "Chushul and Rezang-la War memorials" I assume the user would takt that as face value na?

Last edited by navin : 17th August 2010 at 12:09.
Old 17th August 2010, 12:29   #4061
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
I know the landmark by what it is called. The Singapore Zoo is the Singapore Zoo. I dont need GPS to tell me that.

I assume the "kunzum pass" will be marked too. Or is that the "kunzum pass" wil be called something else or is not marked correctly? I am still confused.
I just used that as an example. <ets say you are driving from village A to village B which are 60kms apart. In between there a 3 mountain passes.
As you drive, you keep clicking pics.
With GPS tagging a year later I will know which pic was taken where. As for kunzum pass, there is a signboard, but what about pics 100 meters before the signboard, and 100 meters after the signboard.
A zoo, a theater etc., is very different. I never geotag such pics. for example if on my trip I visit a zoo, only 1 pic taken outside the zoo with have geotag. Once I am out of my vehicle, and moving around inside the zoo, there will be no geotags.
However, even there if I have a pocket gps, I can take pics of the animals, and later, each pic will show the approximate location of each animal enclosure!
Moreover, this information is hidden in the EXIF. User is not shown that information unless the user actually goes through the IPTC or EXIF completely
Quote:
I respect TSK (he knows that) hence I wonder what does he know that I dont. I hate to use technolgoy just for the sake of it (also becuase I not very good with technology - atleast not as good as the youngsters here). It has to solve a real world problem otherwise it just slows me down.
No slowing down here. All I need to do is run the program, and it does the photo tagging. Very little effort on my part

Quote:
Ok 3 questions.

a. how does your camera know and where does you camera log in this information? The information is appended to the EXIF information?
b. When I upload pics from my camera I get a serial number not a name. How do I get it to say "Singapore Zoo 17/8/10 12:10:07" instead of "DSC-0001".
c. why would a user want to go to Google Maps? If I label a pic as "Chushul and Rezang-la War memorials" I assume the user would takt that as face value na?
[/quote]
Your answers
a. Camera only knows what time and date the picture is taken. So before taking pics, I align my camera clock to exactly 5.5 ahead of GMT as shown by my GPS clock.
b. I also get just a number. You have to look at the EXIF information to see the date and time of picture taken. EXIF is embedded inside the JPEG(or RAW). Most software programs like photoshop/Gimp/Canon DPP show complete EXIF. Many other free software programs also show complete EXIF
c. Yes, I can label that. but what if while driving from Chushul to Rezangla, I climb a narrow uphill unmarked road, and click a pic of an intersting plain.
If a user wants to know the exact location where I clicked that pic from, the GPS information embedded inside the EXIF will tell the user that.

Again, to explain what exactly is Geotagging.
There are two devices.
1. the Camera - Whenever the camera clicks the pic, it embeds the date and time taken. For example, lets say I took a pic on 2009-09-01T03:35:55Z This means 1 September 2009 03:35:55 UTC which is 9:05:55am India Time
2. The GPS - It keeps dumping "Latitude/Longitude/Altitude" with time stamp in a file. Here is a snippet
Quote:
<trkpt lat="32.779725000" lon="78.974696700">
<ele>4293.351840</ele>
<time>2009-09-01T03:35:46Z</time>
</trkpt>
<trkpt lat="32.779610000" lon="78.974735000">
<ele>4292.041200</ele>
<time>2009-09-01T03:35:51Z</time>
</trkpt>
<trkpt lat="32.779481700" lon="78.974776700">
<ele>4291.035360</ele>
<time>2009-09-01T03:35:55Z</time>
</trkpt>
<trkpt lat="32.779295000" lon="78.974845000">
<ele>4289.633280</ele>
<time>2009-09-01T03:35:57Z</time>
</trkpt>
Now the software program will load this file, and look at my picture. it will see the time. Then it will search for the trkpt which is the nearest in time to the picture taken time. That is the GPS location where picture was taken.
At my end, all extra I have to do is
1. Download all pictures to my PC - This we all do
2. Download GPX track from my GPS on my PC
3. run GPICSYNC giving it path to pictures folder, and the GPX file
All pictures are embedded with the GPS information, whenever the nearest trackpoint is within 300 seconds of picture taken.
The 300 sec thingy can be tuned in software. If you want more accuracy, then you can use 50 seconds.
Old 17th August 2010, 13:58   #4062
BHPian

I have decided to buy the FZ35 and have been to most of the Panasonic brand shops in Pune; however none of them have this camera and they keep saying it will come in a week. Its been almost 4 weeks and no sign of the FZ35.

The bigger shops like Croma, Vijay sales etc do not have the FZ35; they have almost everything else.

Anyone in Pune who knows some good & reliable shops to buy the Panny FZ35?

I am not keen to buy it on the net; somehow find it risky for products like a camera.

Last edited by ptushar : 17th August 2010 at 13:59. Reason: typo
Old 17th August 2010, 15:02   #4063
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
for example if on my trip I visit a zoo, only 1 pic taken outside the zoo with have geotag. Once I am out of my vehicle, and moving around inside the zoo, there will be no geotags.

Moreover, this information is hidden in the EXIF. User is not shown that information unless the user actually goes through the IPTC or EXIF completely

No slowing down here. All I need to do is run the program, and it does the photo tagging. Very little effort on my part

Your answers
a. Camera only knows what time and date the picture is taken.
b. EXIF is embedded inside the JPEG(or RAW). Most software programs like photoshop/Gimp/Canon DPP show complete EXIF.
c. Yes, I can label that. but what if while driving from Chushul to Rezangla, I climb a narrow uphill unmarked road, and click a pic of an intersting plain.
If a user wants to know the exact location where I clicked that pic from, the GPS information embedded inside the EXIF will tell the user that.

Again, to explain what exactly is Geotagging.
There are two devices.
1. the Camera - Whenever the camera clicks the pic, it embeds the date and time taken. For example, lets say I took a pic on 2009-09-01T03:35:55Z This means 1 September 2009 03:35:55 UTC which is 9:05:55am India Time
2. The GPS - It keeps dumping "Latitude/Longitude/Altitude" with time stamp in a file. Here is a snippet

Now the software program will load this file, and look at my picture. it will see the time. Then it will search for the trkpt which is the nearest in time to the picture taken time. That is the GPS location where picture was taken.
At my end, all extra I have to do is
1. Download all pictures to my PC - This we all do
2. Download GPX track from my GPS on my PC
3. run GPICSYNC giving it path to pictures folder, and the GPX file
All pictures are embedded with the GPS information, whenever the nearest trackpoint is within 300 seconds of picture taken.
The 300 sec thingy can be tuned in software. If you want more accuracy, then you can use 50 seconds.
Now I get it yuo use a PC. I use a PS3!

I was wondering how the GPS information got into the EXIF data.

When we travel I just stick the memory card into the PS3 and view the images. Then I dump the images onto a hard drive (run back up so that the pics are backed up to an external drive) and close the topic. The camera software stores the pics in folders marked by date. I just put these folders into folders created by me.

Can I get the PC to append the GPS data to the EXIF information and then hopefully get the PS3 to read the data - that would be cool.
Old 17th August 2010, 17:51   #4064
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptushar View Post
I have decided to buy the FZ35 and have been to most of the Panasonic brand shops in Pune; however none of them have this camera and they keep saying it will come in a week. Its been almost 4 weeks and no sign of the FZ35.

The bigger shops like Croma, Vijay sales etc do not have the FZ35; they have almost everything else.

I am not keen to buy it on the net; somehow find it risky for products like a camera.
V K Sales opposite Vijay talkies has FZ 35 in stock. I guess they quoted around 26K.
Old 17th August 2010, 19:16   #4065
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptushar View Post

Why dont you drive down to mumbai aver the weekend and pick it up from Fort area. when I bought mine a month ago there was no shortage of them.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks