Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2011, 19:26   #4606
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Digital Camera Thread: Questions, discussions, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
P100 & HX1 are they still available in market?
Checked with 'Currys' & 'Jessops' here. Both the models were discontinued.

Any other alternatives in the same price tag?
Old 16th May 2011, 13:06   #4607
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Here are my requirements
Optical Zoom - at least 15x
10+ megapixel (I hope this is sufficient, I'm not a professional photographer)
No 'AA' batteries - (Used Canon PowerShot SX120is for about a week and not satisfied with the battery life. Lasts hardly for 150 snaps)
HD Video - Not mandatory, but preferred
I think the best option for you would be Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ18, meets all your requirements and costs about 250 GBP. Fantastic reviews by owners as well as websites.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ18 review | Expert Reviews
Old 16th May 2011, 14:58   #4608
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
@Hiren

if you don't find the need for long focals and will be happy with wide angle to normal lenses, get a DSLR body with a fast f/2.8 wide-to-normal zoom, like 17-50. For family (kids) and cars (moving cars) , wide aperture is often a necessity.

Be warned though : many SLR uses succumb to lens lust eventually, starting out thinking they won't need/want anything more than the kit lens and another telephoto zoom ! Then the costs pile up.

DSLR buying tips (humour)
The Online Photographer: Letter to George
You should post that in our DSLR thread.
I see many ppl going down that path (in that thread).

Addendum: its not just the lens lust but also the body lust, which I have observed in ppl.
Old 17th May 2011, 21:32   #4609
BHPian

Canon SX30 IS vs Nikon P500

Need some suggestion.

I am contemplating between Canon SX30 and Nikon P500. Basically the super zooms, 30x or more.

I have gone through a couple of review, about both these cameras, but still have not been able to decide; P500 is a tab bit cheaper and gives 36x Zoom, Canon is supposed to focus faster and has crispier images (But from the samples available no the net, I wasnt able to make a difference).

Q: Which is a better Image Stabilization method? Lens shift or Sensor shift?

Q: Does one require a really stable hand to take pics at 30x or more? I mean, is it really bad without a tripod? Will the image stabilization 'type' play a role?

If there are any such super zoom NON-DSLR in other brands, please do share the model number. Would help me get more confused...

Thanks!
Old 17th May 2011, 22:37   #4610
Senior - BHPian

Re: Canon SX30 IS vs Nikon P500

You can also consider Fuji HS10/20, these cameras are pretty capable.

meanwhile what i learn about the superzooms is if incase the zoom motor develops a issue then its almost good as done, that is if it conks after the warranty period.

maybe HS10 should be better in this regards...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinnerr View Post
Need some suggestion.

I am contemplating between Canon SX30 and Nikon P500. Basically the super zooms, 30x or more.

I have gone through a couple of review, about both these cameras, but still have not been able to decide; P500 is a tab bit cheaper and gives 36x Zoom, Canon is supposed to focus faster and has crispier images (But from the samples available no the net, I wasnt able to make a difference).

Q: Does one require a really stable hand to take pics at 30x or more? I mean, is it really bad without a tripod? Will the image stabilization 'type' play a role?

If there are any such super zoom NON-DSLR in other brands, please do share the model number. Would help me get more confused...

Thanks!
Old 18th May 2011, 11:25   #4611
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
maybe HS10 should be better in this regards...
Ok, checked that out online, noticed that it uses AA battries and not the battery pack, that makes it a tad big heavier than the rest.

BTW, I just realized that Nikon P500 does not come with a battery charger, it has a incamera recharger, recharging would be a hassel. Not sure if I can get a separate Nikon charger to recharge it.

Here is dpReview Side-by-Side comparison.
If you guys could take a look at it and suggest, spec wise what would be better, that would help.

Please keep in mind. This camera is not for a guy seriously into photography, he just needs above avg zoom, decent quality pics, image stabilizer should do a good job, better than avg night shots.

RAW images, histograms, hot shoe and other finer things of photography might never be accessed/used. For all I know, the camera might never even see a tripod. (hence worried about the image stabilization technique, which one works best?)

One other site comparing Canon SX30 IS and Nikon P500

Last edited by GTO : 19th May 2011 at 11:15. Reason: Merging as requested
Old 19th May 2011, 16:26   #4612
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Need some suggestion.

Thanks!
Both have their own strong points.
However, if you observe past few years - in Point and Shoot Nikons have not fared well (in terms of image quality) compared to Panasonics and Canons.

From the specs [http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon_Po...s-Nikon-P500]- Nikon seems to be better geared towards video shooting, whereas Canon appears to be geared towards still photos. (when compared to each other)

You may make your choice based on that.

Regarding the tripod for super zooms.
It all depends on the scene lighting. At 30x the focal length (in 35mm equivalent terms) is 30 x 24 = 720 mm

Your shutter speed should be faster (less time) than 1/720 s for non-blurry hand held capture.

There would be very few (brightly lit) scenes which will provide good exposure at 1/500 to 1/1000 shutter speed.

Practically for these small sensor camera - you cannot expect to go above ISO800.
And the lens f stop at maximum zoom is pretty low - usually f/5.6 to f/6.5, which again doesn't help.
Old 19th May 2011, 19:31   #4613
Senior - BHPian

Just so it's clear, no amount of stabilization can reduce shake at 30X. It get really difficult handling the camera at that magnification. Tripods work, but the whole point of point and shot is lost when you have to use a tripod. Frankly speaking, you will rarely use 30X. it's much easier moving closer to the subject. Here are two pictures shot yesterday at my son's school in indoor lighting, one at full wide and other at 30X (monopod held, resized for uploading).

The Digital Camera Thread: Questions, discussions, etc.-dscf0085.jpg
The Digital Camera Thread: Questions, discussions, etc.-dscf0086.jpg

Also, manual zooms such as HS10 means you can not operate it using one hand only.

That being said, I have HS10 and I love it. but I do have pocket cams for casual use.
Old 20th May 2011, 00:39   #4614
BHPian

Quote:

As noted by aplha1, among point & shoot cameras, Canon is generally better than Nikon's Coolpix line. Also look up the Fujifilm HS10 and HS20 , and Panasonic FZ40 ( I may be off, not so up to date with Panasonic's line). Of these, the HS10 or HS20 are what I'd pick. Olympus has the 26x SP800UZ, but the Olympus line doesn't have EVF, only the main LCD.

As for IS, lens stabilization is better but more expensive. Sensor shift also causes faster rise in sensor temperature. Sony A33/A55 have much shorter video shooting time, ~5min-9min with image stabilization on, vs 20min o more with IS off, and Sony uses sensor shift in all their cameras. This is moot, because (AFAIK) all compacts/superzooms use sensor shift type of IS.
Old 20th May 2011, 13:56   #4615
Senior - BHPian

^ not the canon ones!
Even the "el-cheapo" A3100 comes with in-lens IS
Old 20th May 2011, 14:36   #4616
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Guys, I'm flying to Singapore tonight. Would like to know if a good digital camera would be cheaper there. Budget is around 10k to 20k INR. Have shortlisted a couple of Canon camera's - Here's the list along with the prices which i found on the net. Please correct it if its wrong. I have no idea if these are the latest ones or not.
Requirements - Picture quality should be good, good zoom 10x optical atleast.
SX100 = 14k
A720 = 12k
S31 = 14.8k
A640/630 = 17k
Powershot A720 IS = 12.5k

I already have a bulky camera so i want something which is compact but it should not be too small !. Should i consider any Sony Cybershot ? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by PPS : 20th May 2011 at 14:38.
Old 20th May 2011, 16:40   #4617
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
Just so it's clear, no amount of stabilization can reduce shake at 30X.

I have HS10 and I love it.
Thanks for the sample and perspective.

What kind of battery do you use for your HS10?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
Also look up the Fujifilm HS10 and HS20 , ...
Now i understand IS better, thanks!

I had more or less ruled out HS series ones, cuz out of the lot they turned out to be the heaviest.

So far, almost every one who has used both Canon and Nikon voted in favor of Canon on 2 points
1. better pictures
2. easier menu navigation

I would be checking both of them out this weekend, hope the stores have an open piece that I can play around with.

Thanks everyone!

Last edited by Spinnerr : 20th May 2011 at 16:41.
Old 20th May 2011, 17:59   #4618
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the sample and perspective.

What kind of battery do you use for your HS10?
I use eneloop NiMH (2400 mAh I think)which easily lasts 400 shots or more with moderate flash use. I keep funky functions off though, no continuous focus etc.
Old 21st May 2011, 20:44   #4619
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

Looking for a digital camera between 200~250 pounds (may extend upto 300 pounds & I stay in Milton Keynes, UK). Presently I have a 2 year 12MP w-series Cyber-shot (should check for the model, poor memory) and looking for a upgrade now.
Camera shortlisted
1) Canon Powershot SX30 (doubtful with my budget)
2) Nikon Coolpix L120
3) Nikon Coolpix P500 (again the question of budget)
4) Nikon Coolpix P100
5) Sony HX1

P100 & HX1 are they still available in market?
Update:
Got Nikon P500 today
Prepared my mind to buy P100 and entered the store, fortunately or unfortunately P100 was out of stock.

Tried some FujiFilm & Olympus, not so impressive. Canon are out of my budget. So, shifted my target towards P500 a bit more than my budget.
Mind said 'why don't you wait for another 2 days and get P100 or try another store a few miles away?' but heart said 'You are not spending for camera every day, why don't you spend more and buy a better one (since P100 is discontinued)' finally the heart won.

Camera + 8gb Sandisk mem card + Carry case costed something around 400 pounds after 8 pound discount for buying all these 3 stuffs together.
Attached Thumbnails
The Digital Camera Thread: Questions, discussions, etc.-21052011026.jpg  

Old 23rd May 2011, 19:43   #4620
BHPian

It seems all major players have launched 35x zoom cameras, which is a good news for hobbyist like me.

The only function that i feel they need to add now is GPS geotagging.

Most Viewed