Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2016, 02:18   #5386
BHPian

Hi All - I am beginning to like photography as a hobby now. Would like to start with point and shoot before venturing to DSLR. Can you please suggest a good point and shoot camera within 12k budget. Want to play around with the camera and understand how it works.
Old 27th September 2016, 08:44   #5387
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Digital Camera Thread: Questions, discussions, etc.

If you eventually plan to move to dSLR, then you need a camera than allows playing with manual controls. Hard to get that under 12K. You could as well start with a entry level dSLR and save some money.
Old 27th September 2016, 11:23   #5388
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
Hi All - I am beginning to like photography as a hobby now. Would like to start with point and shoot before venturing to DSLR. Can you please suggest a good point and shoot camera within 12k budget. Want to play around with the camera and understand how it works.
Before venturing into DSLR territory, try a bridge camera. Make sure it has good zoom, manual controls and view finder.

Rohan
Old 27th September 2016, 11:36   #5389
Team-BHP Support

These days entry level dSLRs no more expensive than bridge cameras.

The P&S camera market is actually dead now. The mobile cameras have completely killed the P&S camera. If you want better pics than mobile camera, next step is mirrorless or dSLR. P&S gives no advantage over mobile cameras.
Old 27th September 2016, 11:41   #5390
BHPian

Thanks Samurai! I will check out entry level DSLRs- Canon EOS1300D and Nikon too.
Old 27th September 2016, 12:12   #5391
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks Samurai! I will check out entry level DSLRs- Canon EOS1300D and Nikon too.
If you dont plan to add too many lenses, you should look at Sony Mirrorless systems. Amazingly compact for travel.
Old 21st December 2016, 23:29   #5392
BHPian

Re: Large Sensor Compact Fixed Lens Camera?

Are there any recent launches from canon in their S series.

I am looking for a compact camera with better sensor(>1/2.3 size sensors).
I know of Sony RX series, but it is mighty expensive.

Are there any new launches in this segment?
Old 22nd December 2016, 02:07   #5393
Senior - BHPian

Re: Large Sensor Compact Fixed Lens Camera?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Are there any recent launches from canon in their S series.

I am looking for a compact camera with better sensor(>1/2.3 size sensors).
I know of Sony RX series, but it is mighty expensive.

Are there any new launches in this segment?
Eight months ago I was looking for a capabale 'do it all' camera that wasn't as bulky as a DSLR and yet had a bigger than point-and-shoot sensor, full manual control option, good zoom, weather proof build, to name a few criteria.

I ended-up buying the G3X because I wanted a big zoom for wildlife shots, but take a look at the entire G series range of cameras from Canon, they are far better than the S series cameras and there's sure to be a model that does what you're looking for. Only down side is they are pricey, but you do get what you pay for, imo.

Last edited by kbk_75 : 22nd December 2016 at 02:09.
Old 22nd December 2016, 10:31   #5394
BANNED

@kbk_75; Remember we have two sets of DSLRs. Using a compact sensor (APS about 14x21 to 16x24mm) and a full 24x36mm sensor. With over 20MP available in the former, there is not that much gain using a full frame. The camera prices can also be put into two groups. Remember with an APS sensor the lenses can also be smaller (and faster and cheaper).
Old 3rd January 2017, 11:10   #5395
BHPian

MiniDV. Remember anyone? I have one from my US trip in 2004 and recorded many childhood memories of my son who is 11 now.
Unfortunately, it stopped working years ago and I have no idea if anyone repairs these things now. Any idea of good miniDV repair shops in Bangalore? Mine is a Sony.
Old 10th February 2017, 12:17   #5396
BHPian

Iam looking at the Canon 70-200 F IS lens. Any thoughts on this?
Old 10th February 2017, 20:25   #5397
BANNED

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
If you eventually plan to move to dSLR, then you need a camera than allows playing with manual controls. Hard to get that under 12K. You could as well start with a entry level dSLR and save some money.
He wants a point and shoot. There are plenty of units around. He can go for a cheap one from a major manufacturer like Nikon, Canon, Olympus, Minolta, or an electronics big boy like Sony or Panasonic. Do not try for a big zoom (5x should do). As for resolution anything above 5k pixels is adequate (remember for an A4 print you need about 3k), so 5k gives you enough headroom for cropping. My first digital camera was a Canon Powershot with 4k pixels.

For holiday photography I find my current camera (again an SLR after almost 20 years with rangefinders) a pain in the backside. I miss the benefit of being always ready with the compact camera. Of course now Mobiles are increasingly taking over this function. Your budget is more than enough. Maybe you take a look at places like JJMehta!
Old 11th February 2017, 02:30   #5398
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmon_bro View Post
F4 or 2.8 or 2.8 v2? Which one are you looking at? Also are you looking to buy used/new or rent?
Old 11th February 2017, 10:24   #5399
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_bhp View Post
F4 or 2.8 or 2.8 v2? Which one are you looking at? Also are you looking to buy used/new or rent?
Saw your other post in the DSLR thread and figured you are asking abt the f4 version. I've owned this lens for some months and liked it for its weight. Its plenty sharp wide open. It was a good option when it came out for those who didn't want to carry the extra weight of the 2.8 version. You will like this lens until you use a 2.8 version . If I have to chose today I'd pick the 70-300 IS L lens. It's optics are equally good if not a little better and has a way better IS system in it. It's a little heavy (by 250gms) but not that noticeable. Give's you 100mm extra and takes less space on the bag and still focuses so close that you can take macro shots handheld. The IS is much quieter on the 70-300 L compared to the 70-200 f4. I buy my lenses used unless the new price is pretty close to the used market. Here in the US the 70-300 L goes for about 800$-850$ and the 70-200 f4 l IS can be bought for 700$. If you want to buy new then look for the Sigma 2.8 version with OS. For the price thats a better lens. My verdict about the 70-200 f4 L IS lens is that if you are absolutely content with the focal length and cant carry weight go for it.
Old 11th February 2017, 10:27   #5400
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmon_bro View Post
I have a Nikon 18-140 IS on my D5500 (compact sensor) camera. Recently when in Bhutan I found this type of range the most popular amongst tourists. I also have a 35mm as my 'small' form factor lens for special use. The 18-140 is a near universal lens.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks