Team-BHP - The Digital Camera Thread: Questions, discussions, etc.
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Gadgets, Computers & Software (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/)
-   -   The Digital Camera Thread: Questions, discussions, etc. (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/31260-digital-camera-thread-questions-discussions-etc-46.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by whatcanthisbe (Post 489098)
Nikon D80
Digital SLR Camera (10 Megapixel)
with Nikon AF-S 18-135mm DX G ED Lens
Rechargeable Li-ion Battery EN-EL3e
Quick Charger
Audio Video Cable
USB Cable
Strap
Body cap
Eyepiece Cap
Rubber Eyecup
LCD monitor cover
Accessory shoe cover
Picture Project CD-ROM

47000 with B&W what do you guys think ?

How much for a Canon 400D with the same lens?

Quote:

Originally Posted by whatcanthisbe (Post 489098)
Nikon D80
Digital SLR Camera (10 Megapixel)
with Nikon AF-S 18-135mm DX G ED Lens
Rechargeable Li-ion Battery EN-EL3e
Quick Charger
Audio Video Cable
USB Cable
Strap
Body cap
Eyepiece Cap
Rubber Eyecup
LCD monitor cover
Accessory shoe cover
Picture Project CD-ROM

47000 with B&W what do you guys think ?

If Canon 400D costs the same (Kit lens) this deal is great. D80 is an excellent camera, and the 18-135mm lens is much much better than the 18-55 lens.
If you get the Canon 400D < 38K with B&W then it makes sense to go for Canon on a VFM front, otherwise the D80 is better.

Canon EOS 400D
Digital SLR Camera (10.0 Megapixel)
with Canon EF-S 18-55mm Lens

with 1GB CF
plus UV Filter & V Bag
Canon EOS 400D Digital SLR body
Canon EF-S 18 - 55 mm F3.5 - F5.6 lens
Eyecup (attached to camera)
Lithium-Ion battery pack
Battery charger
Neck strap
USB Cable
Video Cable
Manuals and Software

Canon EOS 350D
Digital SLR Camera (8 Megapixel)
with Canon EF-S 18-55mm Lens
1GB CF Card , UV Filter & "V" Bag
Canon EOS 350D Digital SLR body
Canon EF-S 18 - 55 mm F3.5 - F5.6 lens
Eyecup (attached to camera)
Lithium-Ion battery pack
Battery charger
Neck strap
USB Cable
Video Cable
Manuals and Software

At this price, over the 400D I would choose the D80.
But at 32K 350D is a really really amazing deal if you get B&W
In Delhi you get 400D without B&W for around 32K or something

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsk1979 (Post 489364)
But at 32K 350D is a really really amazing deal if you get B&W

at jjmehta 350D is 29900 with 1 gb card B&W( 2 years W from canon)

I have been lookig for a new digicam to replace my aging Canon G2.
My short list:
Panasonic LX2 - 28mm wide but no hot shoe and poor image quality out of the box
Canon G7 / Canon 640 - Both are 35mm and 640 has not hot shoe
Nikon P5000 35mm but really cheap for it's feaure set.
Fuji F31fd compact and really nice photos but 35mm and no hot shoe.
Ricoh GX100

After some deliberation I am leaning towards the GX100 (it has a hot shoe, 24mm wide angle and a neato EVF). But (a) it is not avialble anywhere in India and (b) there some scattered reports of grainy images. Does anyone here have info that is not found on the forums at DPreview or on DCresource?

I think we had decided what you are going to buy!! Whats wrong with Fuji 9100 series etc.,
They have wide angle and hot shoe and more easily and cheaply available than Ricoh!?

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsk1979 (Post 489771)
I think we had decided what you are going to buy!! Whats wrong with Fuji 9100 series etc.,

It is much bigger than the GX100, G7 or P5000 leave alone the F31fd and I dont need 10x zoom on what will essentially be a camera that backs up my SLR on holiday or travels in my laptop bag for work. BTW I even considered the Oly C8080.

Quote:

Originally Posted by navin (Post 490652)
It is much bigger than the GX100, G7 or P5000 leave alone the F31fd and I dont need 10x zoom on what will essentially be a camera that backs up my SLR on holiday or travels in my laptop bag for work. BTW I even considered the Oly C8080.

So you need a small cam with a hotshoe.
This means you will carry an external flash?
If your hotshoe requirement is removed, you have a lot of choice.
As for GX100 IQ information, go to flickr camera finder, and search for all photos clicked by GX100.
I do not think its worth the price. The IQ is nothing to write home about.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsk1979 (Post 491162)
If your hotshoe requirement is removed, you have a lot of choice.

I think it has to do with style of photography. For example, I don't do any flash photography and I don't have an external flash for my dSLR. If the situation demands flash, I switch to auto mode because I don't know how to use flash properly, I get totally spooked even while using built-in flash.

Navin on the other hand probably does lots of flash photography with powerful external flash. Therefore, not having a hotshoe is not an option for him.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsk1979 (Post 491162)

As for GX100 IQ information, go to flickr camera finder, and search for all photos clicked by GX100.
I do not think its worth the price. The IQ is nothing to write home about.

My needs are such.

1. Cam should fit in laptop bag.
2. Cam must be wide angle better or equal to 28mm.

3. Hot Shoe prefered so i can carry it in my Camera bag when on vacation and use as a backup with my flashes. Sometimes I have a 70-300 on the SLR and I need 28 or 35mm in a hurry then the P&S is useful too,

4. Hot Shoe prefered so that on the occasions when I have it in my camera bag I can use bounce. When I am using my SLR I never use a on camera flash unless it is for fill in. I use either ambient light or bounce or both.

CCDs are much less senstive to light and need more light than film. I am not sure about CMOS. Rudra would be expert here as he uses a CMOS chipped cam.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samurai (Post 491173)
I think it has to do with style of photography. For example, I don't do any flash photography and I don't have an external flash for my dSLR.

what about indoors or in low light enviroments. Stepping up the ISO induces grain.

Quote:

Originally Posted by navin (Post 491235)
My needs are such.

1. Cam should fit in laptop bag.
2. Cam must be wide angle better or equal to 28mm.

3. Hot Shoe prefered so i can carry it in my Camera bag when on vacation and use as a backup with my flashes. Sometimes I have a 70-300 on the SLR and I need 28 or 35mm in a hurry then the P&S is useful too,

4. Hot Shoe prefered so that on the occasions when I have it in my camera bag I can use bounce. When I am using my SLR I never use a on camera flash unless it is for fill in. I use either ambient light or bounce or both.

CCDs are much less senstive to light and need more light than film. I am not sure about CMOS. Rudra would be expert here as he uses a CMOS chipped cam.

Ok, about CCD/CMOS, it depends on ISO, not the technology,
If Cam A and Cam B are set to ISO 100, and its actualy ISO 100, not ISO 80 or something(sometimes the setting is not accurate, like in 30D ISO 1600 is ISO2000) and you give same aperture and same exposure time you will get a similarly exposed image.
As for noise, that also depends. On a smaller sensor camera you will have more noise. Camera with APS-C or full frame are much better.
None of the cams like Sony R1/Fuji 9100 etc., will fit in a laptop bag, so you need a compact cam.
The only compact cam which I can think of is Leica Digilux 3, it has a SLR type performance and costs 2000$
Yes 2000$ and it has everything you need and more. But it will cost you double that of a entry level SLR.

Quote:

Originally Posted by navin (Post 491236)
what about indoors or in low light enviroments. Stepping up the ISO induces grain.

Canon DSLRs can go to ISO 1600 without much grain if you do not use long shutter speeds.
But if you are going to use a long shutter speed you will use a tripod and for that ISO100 is best.

I posted a few ISO1600 pics some time back.

Guys,

I have no idea what you guys are talking about!

But have one simple question. Is the kodak Z612 still available? Its 6MP, 12x prosumer camera. Saw Z710 (if i remember), 6MP, 10x zoom at Big bazaar for 15.5k. is it above z612 or under it?

And, which is a good camera under 15k? :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsk1979 (Post 491262)
As for noise, that also depends. On a smaller sensor camera you will have more noise. Camera with APS-C or full frame are much better.

The only compact cam which I can think of is Leica Digilux 3, it has a SLR type performance and costs 2000$

1. noise is dependant on (a) sensor size (b) number of mega pixels on sensor (c) for jpgs the processing algorithim.

2. I did consider the poor cousins of the Leica. I got my hands on a Panasonic LX2 but it's results were not very good. I cant find an L1 or TZ3. I am told that they might be better bets as the images are less processed. Panasonic seems to have taken this in camera processing idea a bit too far and so if and when an L2 is released it might not even be as good as the bulky L1. Time will tell.

3. i am happy with 6-7 Meg pixles on a 1/1.6-1/1.7" sensor. Thing is that most compacts (other than the Fuji F31fd) are trying to stuff 10 megas into this space and hence the grain. I was hoping to use the GX100 in 5Mega mode and hence loose some of that grain.

If the new cam is not a significant step up from the Canon G2 (which i got i 2001) it is a sad commentry on the entire digicam market. The G2 is 5 years old. That qould equal to atleast 5 generations in the digi cam space.