Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2007, 15:07   #721
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvish View Post
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I have been thinking of getting a good gallery. zenfolio is good. But these days, own website with gallery s/w costs almost the same price!! So thats another option that I am exploring.
I did that for 2 years before moving to Smugmug. You are right, it costs same(3-4$/month for cheapo deal, 7$/month for good deal) but the headache is much more. For 40-50$ a year you get headache free deal.
Quote:
I am going to try out the circular polarizer settings this weekend (but no blue sky in Bangalore !!!) So may be some good macro's since I havent really explored the macro abilities of this lens yet.
Polarizer will give your prettier clouds too
Quote:
I stayed away from GIMP because some of the tutorials were really cryptic. But that site GIMPguru.org you mentioned is really good.
Gimp used to be a pain, but latest versions are good enough for most things we photographers do. For more powerful stuff you need CS2 or CS3

Quote:
For primes, I think sigma 30mm f1.4 and pentax 50mm f1.4 were easily available. (sigma is more expensive but images on pbase are really good). Pentax DA* 16-50f2.8 is being launched next month for only $900. So if you have the budget, that is the lens to go (you need K100D super for this one). Pentax is positioning this lens as identical to the L series canon lenses. Whether they will match it in performance is only to be seen !!

I will probably look out for some used limited edition pancake lenses (which is what pentax is famous for) for my next purchase which I dont see coming for quite some time.
Prime for potraints? I suggest stick to 50mm atleast(80mm approx in 1.6x crop)

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post
Tsk, Samurai and Rudraji and other photo experts,

I should have long come to this thread, but i found this only about 3 days back (sad).
LOL I am just a hack, no expert.
Quote:
Without wasting much time, i am here to ask references or links to tutorials where i can learn the basics and finer details of digital photography. I'm not too good with the cam, but i'm learning to take fairly acceptable photos.

I purchased a unique DSLR cam, the 'fixed-lens' Olympus E-20 i believe in Jan 2006 and i've put it to good use for the major part of 2006. It's been with on some long road trips, and takes very impressive snaps for a 5.2megs.

A friend of mine had actually nudged me into buying this and try to learn things before i could get the Evold 500 - which is what i was planning to buy back then. We got the cam with a 256mb card, an olympus tripod and a 1.45x Tele Extension Lens Pro Lens for 25k).

I want to learn and better understand how to control the settings better (exposure, AP, Shutter speed et al) before i venture into buying the Canon 400D.

Please help me with any references that you could cite which i consume for learning. I'm also flexible with joining any weekend classes on the basics on digital photography in Chennai.

I'm just attaching a couple of snaps, just to showcase the cam's capabilities

Photo1

Photo2

(the photo's specs would say that it was snapped on 12/26/06 but i hadn't fixed the date on the cam ever.. er)

I'm hoping you guys could help. I've even pm'd Rudraji on the same.

Thanks and Cheers,
ak.
Google is your friend.
To start you up you can look at my del.icio.us bookmarks related to photography
tsk1979's bookmarks tagged with "photography" on del.icio.us
Old 21st July 2007, 23:31   #722
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I purchased a unique DSLR cam, the 'fixed-lens' Olympus E-20 i believe in Jan 2006 and i've put it to good use for the major part of 2006. It's been with on some long road trips, and takes very impressive snaps for a 5.2megs.
That's a very good camera. Here is a good technical article on it.

wrotniak.net: Olympus Camedia E-10 and E-20 - a Technical Review

Links to learn photography:

Learn how to take photographs - photo.net
Principles of Photography - what you need to know

BTW, I know only two photography experts on TBHP, one is Rudra and the other is S Pathak, the latter is not active these days.
Old 22nd July 2007, 02:01   #723
BHPian

I have been facing a problem recently. I have Sony Cybershot DSC W30. Whenever I take a photograph of people sitting on long table (with capacity of 10-12) in not so properly lit environment (say a restaurant), the person at the last comes darker in the pic.
The flash is not able to reach that far. If I increase the level of flash, the person at the front is too much bright. I am amateur at image editing and use Adobe Premiere Elements 5 for bigger tasks or MS Office Picture Manager for slight editing.

Is there any technique by which I can get whole photograph equally bright, either through camera or through Image editing software.

P.S. - I may not have been able to make things clear. Please ask if something remains unclear.

Thanks.
Old 22nd July 2007, 02:07   #724
Senior - BHPian

Thanks

Thanks for the links tsk and samurai, i knew you'd respond. Yes Samurai, I'd research about the Oly E-20 only after i'd bought it, and was satisfied with the purchase. It really is a good cam.

Samurai, i haven't gone into the depths of trying to understand the technical differences between the new E-410 and E-510, but i'd like to ask you if you are aware.
The E-410 and E-510, if i'm not mistaken, are both 10megpix cameras. Why would Oly launch two 10megpix cameras? Are there some major features that's unique to these 2 cameras?

Also, tsk and samurai, considering all factors and Image Quality, for various purposes (landscape, portrait, wildlife, sports, etc, photography), which do you think would be an ideal choice? The Canon EOS 400D or the Oly E-510. (samurai, the guy from the link you'd shared a couple of pages before swears by the E-510 and with Oly largely. He says its one of the best cams Oly have come up with. Thanks for sharing that review.)

Thanks for the link guys. It has been helpful. If you know more, or get to know more, please do share.

Also, to Rudraji, tsk, samurai and everyone else who knows more than the average joe about photography, why not start a thread to explain the basics or share tips and tutorial notes on the basics and intricacies of photography? Like Sam is progressing with the English language thread (brilliant effort there).

I know it might be a task for someone to do this on a daily basis, but then imagine the number of people that'd benefit by your tips. Everyone can share their knowledge on this art, about cams, lenses and how to get the best shot through the settings one recommends.

I definitely think a thread of this nature will help one and all. The only input is taking some time out to share worthy knowledge.

Thanks.

ak
Old 22nd July 2007, 02:39   #725
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by austere_sly View Post
I have been facing a problem recently. I have Sony Cybershot DSC W30. Whenever I take a photograph of people sitting on long table (with capacity of 10-12) in not so properly lit environment (say a restaurant), the person at the last comes darker in the pic.
The flash is not able to reach that far. If I increase the level of flash, the person at the front is too much bright. I am amateur at image editing and use Adobe Premiere Elements 5 for bigger tasks or MS Office Picture Manager for slight editing.

Is there any technique by which I can get whole photograph equally bright, either through camera or through Image editing software.

P.S. - I may not have been able to make things clear. Please ask if something remains unclear.

Thanks.
Umm you cant do much about it. This is a problem with in built flash on not just P&S cams, but DSLRs also.
For uniform flash, you need to get a external flash, and bounce it off the ceiling or something.
Old 22nd July 2007, 12:48   #726
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Umm you cant do much about it. This is a problem with in built flash on not just P&S cams, but DSLRs also.
For uniform flash, you need to get a external flash, and bounce it off the ceiling or something.
I thought may be something could have been done at least in Image Editing softwares. Is this can't be done even in highly advanced software like CS3 ?
Old 22nd July 2007, 13:05   #727
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks for the links tsk and samurai, i knew you'd respond. Yes Samurai, I'd research about the Oly E-20 only after i'd bought it, and was satisfied with the purchase. It really is a good cam.
I had a fixed lens Olympus film SLR called IS-3, amazing camera, I gave it to brother, it still works great after 14 years.

Quote:
The E-410 and E-510, if i'm not mistaken, are both 10megpix cameras. Why would Oly launch two 10megpix cameras? Are there some major features that's unique to these 2 cameras?
The main difference is IS, rest are not that important. So there is a $150 difference. If you can afford E-510, go for it. BTW, E-410 is much smaller and lighter, some may prefer that over the bigger E-510.

Quote:
which do you think would be an ideal choice? The Canon EOS 400D or the Oly E-510.
It is hard to compare dSLRs from different families. They all have different strengths and the weightage you attach to each strength could be different. I would put E-510 in the same league as Nikon D80 and somewhere between 400D and 30D. E-510 has a working antidust system, excellent body IS and liveview system. Also you can get high grade lenses for cheaper prices. Canon has better ISO and faster AF performance. Nikon has better OVF and TTL metering system. Canon and Nikon have much more wider lens choices although at a high price. So deciding between all these is not so easy, you have to make your choices.

Quote:
Also, to Rudraji, tsk, samurai and everyone else who knows more than the average joe about photography, why not start a thread to explain the basics or share tips and tutorial notes on the basics and intricacies of photography? Like Sam is progressing with the English language thread (brilliant effort there).
Unlike Sam's English thread, there are hundreds of Internet resources that provide the same information you seek. Therefore I feel it will be redundant. Checks the links provided by Tanveer and me (or is it I?).
Old 22nd July 2007, 22:25   #728
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by austere_sly View Post
I thought may be something could have been done at least in Image Editing softwares. Is this can't be done even in highly advanced software like CS3 ?
A software, no matter how advanced will have its limitations.
To get something reasonably good, try to have the flash at its lowest power, and try to get as much exposure from ambient light
For this you will need
1. Slowest shutter speed you can managed handheld without blur
2. Highest ISO without too much grain
3. Widest aperture without getting anybody Out of Focus.

Shoot in RAW, and then you can use a HDR software to get some more details out of shadows.
This is an actual limitation.
Look at this way.
Most serious photographers have Photoshop, so why do they buy those powerful external flashes?
Old 22nd July 2007, 22:44   #729
BHPian

Thanks for the tips tanveer. Hopefully will learn more from you when we meet in next Delhi T-BHP meet.
Old 22nd July 2007, 22:52   #730
BHPian

Nikon Rules

Heres my digital camera, Nikon Coolpix 5900
5.1 MP, 3x Optical Zoom point-n-shoot type
good picture clarity in sunlight
night pics are not so good
got it for 12.5K (without bill) in 2004
the market price at that time was 22K !!

Sample pic shown below(compressed and resized)
This is the sexy Delhi-Noida Expressway, called DND flyway

Am planning to go for a new camera, which is the best camera under 20K? (without bill is okay)
Size is not an issue, not looking for a slim camera.
I guess 5MP is more than enough
Am considering Canon S3 IS as of now.

Last edited by markiv : 22nd July 2007 at 23:04.
Old 26th July 2007, 10:37   #731
Senior - BHPian

Does any one had trouble with CCD of digi cam ?

My 3 years old FinePix FujiFilm S7000 started giving problem with vertical green color type line in every picture I take :( When I checked with authorized service centre its CCD has developed technical snag so nothing much can't be done unless I spend 24,000 rs to repair this. Its was very nice Cam with over lakh photos taken and more than hundreds of party photos in my my circle.

I know I didn't load any good pictures in TBHP because of lack of time but I have photos taken from this CAM all over India really wonderfull photos.

Now I purchased Kodak C763 digi cam is quiet good but no way comparable with Finefix in picture depth. I am happy with C763 since photo craze has come down after visiting hundreds of places and taking lakhs of (more than 50GB photos..) photos.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 26th July 2007, 10:48   #732
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post

My 3 years old FinePix FujiFilm S7000 started giving problem with vertical green color type line in every picture I take :( When I checked with authorized service centre its CCD has developed technical snag so nothing much can't be done unless I spend 24,000 rs to repair this. Its was very nice Cam with over lakh photos taken and more than hundreds of party photos in my my circle.

Regards,

Ravi.
I use a S5000, no probs till now. Bought it when it was launched. NO point spending 24k to repair it I guess as you can get new one's for this price

OT, and a friend of mine ( and a tbhpian) has a H5 for sale. It still has 2 year warranty. If interested pm me.

Last edited by jkdas : 26th July 2007 at 10:49.
Old 26th July 2007, 11:04   #733
Senior - BHPian

Thanks JK for the info, I agree about 24k cost for repair. I gave up reparing it its worth now for my 2.5 yrs daughter to play around anyway she wanted to take lot of photos now she has full freedom to use that faulty cam.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 26th July 2007, 11:44   #734
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post

My 3 years old FinePix FujiFilm S7000 started giving problem with vertical green color type line in every picture I take :( When I checked with authorized service centre its CCD has developed technical snag so nothing much can't be done unless I spend 24,000 rs to repair this. ....

Now I purchased Kodak C763 digi cam is quiet good but no way comparable with Finefix in picture depth. ....

Ravi.
My friend also has similar problems with his 4 year old sony cybershot, not because its 4 year old cam, because recently he tried to take the pictures of sun in the afternoon, screwed up the sensor.

The FinePix S series of cams are very good ones, I too have one such, S5100. (Most of the hyd, tbhpians envy my cam ).

I think you can get the Fuji FinePix S9600 for the price of repairing your cam.
But as have already bought one, and happy with it, you can look for S9600 at a later date when you want an good cam.(read it as the graduating step towards DSLR)

raj.
Old 26th July 2007, 11:58   #735
Senior - BHPian

I just found out that my cam(Fuji FinPix S5100) can take images in RAW format.(damn!, i kick myself for not knowing this for two years). But much to my surprise, it can only take around 30 snaps in my 256MB XD card. :(. That means, each pic would be around 8MB.

Oh! lords of photography!!, please tell me when to use the raw-mode and when it can be avoided.

Most Viewed