Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2007, 00:31   #1216
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Kumar, is it possible to share some of those shots?
Tell me about it doc. I still love to use my film camera body!
This is an area of debate. Sharpness is the question here. For ultimate sharpness one should employ a good tripod anyway. And a tripod mounted (Canon) lens won’t work in IS mode. Lens here detects it’s stability and IS mode goes off.
I would like to go with you here. Variable aperture is always an issue with speed. Especially shooting with flash. Only point here to consider is weight and cost. But..
..It helps if it’s heavy. Heavy lens gives much better stability when shooting hand held. My zoom lens and camera body weighs more than 2kilos. And I can shoot 1/8th sec comfortably as hand held.

Navin, you should go for EF70-200mm f/4L IS USM. Weight is only 760g.
Rudra,

Just noticed this post and as Kumar has not posted any samples with IS, I could point you to an old post of mine when I got my first IS lens. Let me go thru my archives and I'm sure I can find some real life 1/3 shots.

bangalorephotographyclub.com :: View topic - IS is FABULOUS

This is not to say that IS is an answer to a tripod but is extremely useful when tripod is not allowed/unavailable.

Here are two with IS where tripods were not allowed [not even monopods]One at 1/8 and one at 1/13.

Old 21st October 2007, 23:28   #1217
BHPian

Hey guys, I am looking forward to getting myself a new digicam, I am still a n00b in this field. So, I wanna buy a decent bridge camera and learn few tricks of the trade. Also, am not currently in a position to splash out on a dSLR and all the lenses you may have to invest in along with it.

Essentially, I want a cam that has good manual controls that provides me lots of flexibilities and the lot. Secondly, I will be getting a dSLR in 2 years time, so I need a camera in the meanwhile as a learning tool. I've been through a lot of reviews, variuos other forums.. but havent been able to make up my mind. And about where I would be buying from, Mr.Jayesh.. have heard a lot about him from variuos forums, also I see that few people here also recommend the same place.

The models am looking at are s3 IS, s5 IS, fz8, fz50. Also, I dont mind getting something like Fuji s5700(lacks IS), for a simple reason that it costs 10k. I want a cam that isnt very heavy on the pocket as the one I buy now will be (for all practical purpose) redundant in 2 years time when I invest on a dSLR.. So what do you guys suggest? in short, I want to get the best VFM ultra zoom camera... also can some1 tell me how much would each of these models cost if I bought it from Mr.jayesh or national market?
Old 22nd October 2007, 09:56   #1218
BHPian

Since you are on a budget, the best option in my opinion is the Canon S3 IS, among other models you have listed the S3-IS is very good VFM camera. It sells for about 13K in grey market.

Hellcat.
Old 22nd October 2007, 10:42   #1219
Senior - BHPian

hellcat, you seemto have a ready reckoner for prices, do you know the S5IS prices too ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellcat View Post
Since you are on a budget, the best option in my opinion is the Canon S3 IS, among other models you have listed the S3-IS is very good VFM camera. It sells for about 13K in grey market.

Hellcat.
Old 22nd October 2007, 10:53   #1220
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellcat View Post

Hellcat.

I am not exactly on a budget, its just that I felt I shouldnt be spending lots on an ultra zoom now as I'll surely be upgrading in a few years time, I'm some how leaning towards the s5 IS since yesterday night, any chances I could get one for around 16k in the grey market? another 2k for memory+batteries and stuff and am good to go
Old 22nd October 2007, 12:20   #1221
BHPian

You should get the S5 IS for that price from Jayesh (Photo Circle).

Hellcat.
Old 22nd October 2007, 15:23   #1222
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakvrao View Post
Here are two with IS where tripods were not allowed [not even monopods]One at 1/8 and one at 1/13.
Yes 1/13@200mm with IS seems possible. I have taken few hits at that speed. Was not able to take a single shot below 1/10. But to be consistent at these speeds, needs practice.
Old 22nd October 2007, 16:42   #1223
BHPian

Came across this funny Nikon D3 announcement.

masterchong.com*-*Nikon D3 Announced...

-- Torqy
Old 22nd October 2007, 19:55   #1224
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakvrao View Post
Rudra,

Just noticed this post and as Kumar has not posted any samples with IS, I could point you to an old post of mine when I got my first IS lens. Let me go thru my archives and I'm sure I can find some real life 1/3 shots.

bangalorephotographyclub.com :: View topic - IS is FABULOUS

This is not to say that IS is an answer to a tripod but is extremely useful when tripod is not allowed/unavailable.

where is the location.Is it Borra caves?
Old 23rd October 2007, 00:41   #1225
Team-BHP Support

Guys,

Went to a few shops in trivandrum to check out the S3IS and the S5IS. Seems S3IS has been pulled off gently in favour of S5IS.

When i asked for S3IS, both shops said its now S5IS. Also checked out the H7, however its too 'toy-like' for the price. So, S5IS it is! (but they are asking 24.5k here)

Coming to bangalore this weekend to get the cam. Was suggested National Market/ Photo circle (jayesh) few days back in this thread. Which among them is better? (GOOD Quality +good price)
Old 23rd October 2007, 12:56   #1226
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Coming to bangalore this weekend to get the cam. Was suggested National Market/ Photo circle (jayesh) few days back in this thread. Which among them is better? (GOOD Quality +good price)
I seriously suggest you to check the EOS 350D on the new offer. Booked mine directly from Canon for 28K. EMI option is also available. I went behind these zoom cams for ages and after proper gyan from gurus dived for the DSLR. EOS 350D is the most basic DSLR currently available from Canon.
Old 23rd October 2007, 13:54   #1227

Try to find authorized canon dealer form canon india site in your area.....also ask for free charger & pouch.....total price will definitely be less than MRP......
Old 23rd October 2007, 20:43   #1228
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
EOS 350D is the most basic DSLR currently available from Canon.
Never seen the EOS 350D, but i have tried a few shots with the 400D. I really wish i could get my hands on a DSLR.

28k goes way way over my budget. Thats the main problem. Even S5IS at canon India price is over my budget. Thats why considering it grey. (Read here that quality wont be bad)

Am still in college and parents are still wondering why i am asking for something more than the 6 MP kodak cams that come at 7k.
Old 23rd October 2007, 20:57   #1229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Am still in college and parents are still wondering why i am asking for something more than the 6 MP kodak cams that come at 7k.
If you are OK with 6 megapixels... cam for cam S3 IS is better choice than S5 IS and very cheap too.
6 megapixels are more than enough.
Old 23rd October 2007, 21:03   #1230
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
If you are OK with 6 megapixels... cam for cam S3 IS is better choice than S5 IS and very cheap too.
6 megapixels are more than enough.
Even the reviews echo that. However, is it taken off the market (Officially)?

Most Viewed