Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2009, 18:24   #3106
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saleem_k View Post
But when investing nearly Rs.20,000+, would it be safe to trust the products from the grey market? Do they give any receipt or anything like that? Also, if something happens to the cam, I believe it won't be covered under warranty.
FZ-28 is approx 18.5K at T-J center. No company warranty as such but they do give a receipt and a year long service warranty.

I had to make the same choice last year. I figured that any physical damage wouldn't be covered under warranty and tried to find out problems that i probably could encounter with the G9 though secondary research...found no issues with it so decided to go in with the grey market. Assuming, its a good quality product. Also, for the price difference i could have bought 2 cams from the grey market. Hasnt given me any problems until now...and hopefully it wont in the future!

Last edited by gendarmee : 9th January 2009 at 18:28.
Old 9th January 2009, 20:25   #3107
BHPian

Great inputs guys!

deetee - Thanks for your suggestion buddy. Well.... you actually set me thinking about going in for a dSLR. My only concern is that I'm not really aware of dSLR stuff, so I won't really know what the guy at the grey market is selling me. Don't you think so? Just that I don't wanna end up with something that I don't really know how to use and also something which might end up being worthless. That's my only concern.

gendarmee - Thanks for letting me know the price dude. Is TJ center so famous? I read about this shop in some other site's blog too! I too did a lot of secondary research before arriving at Panny FZ28. I think I will check this shop out tomorrow. Can you please tell me where exactly this Haridas market is and any landmark nearby to find this shop. I will go and check there once.

Thanks guys for your valuable inputs. Team BHP rocks! cheers:
Old 9th January 2009, 22:05   #3108
BHPian

Answers to your queries:
Quote:
Is TJ center so famous?
Well, its about trust feeling we get shopping there. There are other shops in the same complex who may sell for a thousand less but one(atleast I) really cant be convinced by the way they try to push things.
Quote:
Can you please tell me where exactly this Haridas market is and any landmark nearby to find this shop.
While going to koti womans collage from abids big bazar , on your right hand side just before Supreme audio there you can see a small 'gully' thronged with tv video game shops and a age old rusting name board on top of the 'gully' proclaiming 'Haridas Market'.

And buddy, if you have taken the pain to understand how an FZ stands against a sx10, you surely can make the best of a entry level dslr.
Believ me, you soon will find the Fz too very limiting once you get hang of things (just a few months). While upgrading from my old digicam i too went through what you are now and fearing dslr is too much for me , i purchased an advanced digicam. Its worthy for its price , but then I soon outgrew its abilities and now regret why I didn't go for it (dslr) directly.
Just think again..just once and take your decision.

Whatever, all the best.
Old 10th January 2009, 13:53   #3109
BHPian

Plz help me in deciding a camera

As the title suggests,I am looking out for a camera with a budget of within 25k which can be extended by 2-3k.
I am not an avid photographer, but interested in learning and exploring newer techs. Hence I am confused between a high end prosumer (canon SX10 IS,Panny FZ28 etc) and an entry level DSLR (canon 1000D,Sony alpha 200 etc).
I have gone through most of the pages in this thread and the one on DSLR,and learnt quite a few things.One thing I want to know the std lense which you get with a DSLR,how good is it for normal photography, and how much does it zoom as in at what distance a subject can be clicked.
Once the DSLR vs prosumer battle is decided I will be confused which company and which model
And once that is decided I will be confused between grey and with bill purchase
So please get me out of this confusion.
PS: I have never used a DSLR,used a canon S3 IS though.Also should I post it in the DSLR thread also??
Old 10th January 2009, 22:35   #3110
BHPian

BIG dilemma!

Hi Guys,

I went to Tokyo Japan Center in Haridas market. The guy didn't have FZ28, but he quoted around 17k for the same. I enquired about 1000D and he said i can get that for 24.5k, with the basic 18-55mm lens kit. I didn't bargain, but I'm not sure how much I can bargain. But now I'm in a dilemma whether to go for FZ28 or 1000D. Hmmmm...... Any inputs, suggestions, recommendations, etc. from anyone?
Old 11th January 2009, 00:04   #3111
BHPian

Decide on what subjects you want to shoot, are you prepared to invest in lenses in the future? Are you going to dedicate a lot of time on improving your images or you want out of the box processed images, I feel Fz28 would be a good choice to start with. If you really into it/exploring functions trying out various values to compose your images then you could invest on an SLR, you could now too, Just depends on what you want.
Old 11th January 2009, 08:35   #3112
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,

I went to Tokyo Japan Center in Haridas market. The guy didn't have FZ28, but he quoted around 17k for the same. I enquired about 1000D and he said i can get that for 24.5k, with the basic 18-55mm lens kit. I didn't bargain, but I'm not sure how much I can bargain. But now I'm in a dilemma whether to go for FZ28 or 1000D. Hmmmm...... Any inputs, suggestions, recommendations, etc. from anyone?
With FZ28, you might need to go for any other accessories. However with 1000D, you may/will go for a few lenses or other accessories to satisfy your expanding needs down the line and as such it will become a sort of obsession/passionate hobby.

The limitations of FZ28 vis-a-vis 1000D--
1.)you can't get a good bokeh(back ground blur) for portraits.
2.)in low light you can't get quality shots above ISO400.
3.)If you want an ultra wide angle capability, getting a converter(if at all) might be more costly affair than getting a wide angle lens for a dslr.
4.) for shooting sports and wildlife , dslrs are more responsive and accurate than highend p&s.

So, if you can convince that you don't need to shoot in low light often,don't bother about bokeh,wide angle shots or good tele shots AND SURE THAT YOU NEED ENORMOUS ZOOM then go for FZ28.
Put it the other way,
If you can take the pain of carrying a dedicated camera bag all the time(with a body+2 lens atleast), don't bother much to change lens carefully,don't mind to invest another 10-25K in future on lenses BUT DESPARATELY SEEK BEST IMAGE QUALITY IN ALL CONDITIONS go for DSLR(1000d at the entry level).

Bottomline is that you will be looking to sell/upgrade your FZ28 within a year or two, where as you will still keep 1000D(or any other slr) but will be spending more time and money on adding lens and other accessories.

So, make a clear differentiation of your requirements in present and future , take a decision and be happy, don't look back, keep clicking.

p.s. I didn't think 1000d is that costly in grey market. Check the US dollar prices on amazon. You should get for approx that amount or lower.
applies for FZ28 too.

BTW, nikon d40 dslr too comes for 19k or lower and is good too. But again it depends on whether you need( not just 'want') high end prosumer or DSLR.

Last edited by deetee : 11th January 2009 at 08:48.
Old 11th January 2009, 09:03   #3113
BHPian

Its stupendous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetee View Post
BTW, nikon d40 dslr too comes for 19k or lower and is good too. But again it depends on whether you need( not just 'want') high end prosumer or DSLR.

The D40 is not just good; its the best value for money camera in the market barring none in any segment..
When buying DSLR's get hold of the oldest surviving model from company websites that you can afford. There is a reason why the D40 is mentioned as current model in the Nikon website. The Nikon engineers could not get a better camera into the market for the price and hence the current model status. i doubt whther they can ever get a beter camera into the market for the price it sells at.
Scour the net for professional photography websites and nearly all of them recommend the Nikon D40 for entry level serious photography.

And please do not go by the max number of pixels but instead go by minimum pixel density.
Pixel Density: when Moore is less: Digital Photography Review

Pixel Density: Camera System: Glossary: Learn: Digital Photography Review

http://www.sphoto.com/techinfo/dslrs...slrsensors.htm

Read up on the last article thoroughly.
Old 13th January 2009, 16:07   #3114
Senior - BHPian

Hi,
My brother is going to US next month and i had asked him to bring a Digicam for me. Can you guys suggest which one will be best to buy. I dont want the big SLR ones. Just the pocket size one. Criteria-
1. - 10 Megapixel atleast
2.- How much should be the optical zoom?
Old 13th January 2009, 20:48   #3115
BHPian

Go for FZ28 Harry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Hi,
My brother is going to US next month and i had asked him to bring a Digicam for me. Can you guys suggest which one will be best to buy. I dont want the big SLR ones. Just the pocket size one. Criteria-
Hi Harry,

I would suggest a Panasonic FZ28 hands down. This is one of the best advanced Prosumer Cameras (non dSLR) right now. Moreover its quite affordable too. May cost you around 15k -16k as per the cost in the US and is absolutely worth the money.

Guys, I thought of taking FZ28 but have decided to go ahead and invest in a dSLR. I'm planning to take Canon 450D after reading the reviews and also after consulting a colleague of mine, Naveen, who is also a member on this forum. Thanks to him, I got to know a new store in Hyd. He is also into photography and owns a Canon 400D and has adviced me to go ahead with a 450D.

I'm not sure whether guys here know this or not but in Hyderabad, there is a store called Pixetra, which currently sells cams of all brands, with receipt and warranty. Though their range is not very huge, I think they have most of the brands and models. You can access their website here pixetra - buy digital cameras, camera accessories, hobby optics and order photo prints online in India (I hope I'm not flouting any rules of the forum. ), which hosts everything from the features, the price, and to what the package contains. I found it very helpful and will be visiting this store soon to get my 450D.
Old 15th January 2009, 09:26   #3116
BHPian

Quote:
I found it very helpful and will be visiting this store soon to get my 450D.
Had visited Pixetra, their prices are competitive but not the best. Service is good but range is limited.
Also visit excite electoronics store in the same floor as pixetra. They have a d40, 450d and 1000d on display , you can play with them there.
Their pricing too is on par.
But beware not to tred into iiird Eye in the same floor just beside Pixetra. They charge too much.
Old 15th January 2009, 13:03   #3117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrage View Post
Decide on what subjects you want to shoot, are you prepared to invest in lenses in the future? Are you going to dedicate a lot of time on improving your images or you want out of the box processed images, I feel Fz28 would be a good choice to start with. If you really into it/exploring functions trying out various values to compose your images then you could invest on an SLR, you could now too, Just depends on what you want.
FOOD FOR THOUGHT !! Couldn't agree any better, coz I have seen people who invest on SLR's and then crib about spending on lenses and have absolutely no clue on what they wanna shoot .
Old 15th January 2009, 19:25   #3118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetee View Post
But beware not to tred into iiird Eye in the same floor just beside Pixetra. They charge too much.
Absolutely agree. I was told the same by my friend. When I checked their prices online... Phew! Just don't know why they are charging so much. Are they giving anything extra or they just don't know how much the competition is charging!
Old 16th January 2009, 00:52   #3119
BHPian

Best of the Super Zoom's, Canon Sx10, Panny Fz28, Sony H50 take top honors,

'Super Zoom' Camera Group Test (Q1 2009) Review: 16. Conclusions and ratings: Digital Photography Review
Old 16th January 2009, 11:16   #3120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Hi,
If budget permits get either a canon G10 (has the best low iso performance even when compared to some DSLRs) or Panasonic LX 3 (has the fastest lens in its category, better high iso performance than most other Point and shoots including any from canon/nikon). Both can even take RAW images.
If you are particularly looking for a good zoom, Canon SX10 IS (20X optical zoom) is a good camera.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks