Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2009, 13:20   #3376
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurudatta Nayak View Post
Hi,

I am planning to buy a Digital cam for normal photography.
I need manual control for adjusting the shutter speed...

I have shortlisted 3 Cameras:
1) Canon Sx10IS
2) Sony H20
3) Panasonic FZ35/38

In USA Prices are as follows
1) Canon Sx10IS --> 369.94 =17,760/-
2) Sony H20 ---> 253.34 = 12,160/-
3) Panasonic FZ35/38--> 399.99 = 19,200/-

Thanks in Advance!
Wait for a few days. once sx20 is available, the prices of sx10 will come down. FZ35 also has to get cheaper. Both are equally competent
Reject H20 right away..does not fall in the league
HX1 sony has good features but sx10 FZ35 will be much better
Old 6th September 2009, 19:00   #3377
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Firstly, thanks a ton to you guys (especially Samurai, TSK & Rudra) for helping this camera-newbie zero in on the Lumix LX3.

Was delivered to my office yesterday from a Panasonic distributor. Price 29,500 + 500 for a 4 GB card (2 GB standard + 4 GB card = 6 GB to shoot cars!). With proper bill and 3 year warranty.

Initial impressions : SOLIDLY built, very high quality of material used and the construction is top class. It's much more compact than I'd thought, good enough to tuck in the pockets of cargo pants. My LX3 is probably the only electronic good I've bought in the last 5 years that is "Made in Japan". Got way more buttons / controls than my humble li'l Sony digicam though. The box came with a ton of wires, cables & straps (two chargers, strap for cover, strap for camera, strap for lens cover etc.). I'm glad I chose this over a DSLR as:

- Compact. Can tuck away in the glovebox or laptop bag.

- I typically shoot 400 - 500 pictures of the car being tested. Point & shoot is my style (not the type to change settings for each pic. No inclination to either).

- Good price.

- Big LCD. Very clear.

- Q-U-I-C-K shooting (again, a newbie to the cam world so my base for comparo is the Sony). I can take 10 shots in a 5 seconds.

- Way better interior / night shots than what I've been used to

- Wide lens (I've been told is the LX3's most endearing quality).

The only thing I didn't like about the LX3 so far is that it doesn't have an automatic lens cover (like my Sony). You have to manually remove the cover.

Questions:

1. Three aspect ratio settings (switch on the lens) = 4:3, 3:2 and 16:9. Which one do I use to shoot cars?

2. On the side of the lens is a switch which allows you to toggle between AF, AF (with a flowery symbol) and MF. Again, which one to shoot cars?

3. A button named "AF / AE lock". Any value to the intended purpose?

4. There's a small circular button titled "focus" on the top (next to click button). What's that for?

5. Doesn't seem to be a way to "force flash use" in full auto mode (Sony has it). Any cause for concern?

Pic taken from my window using the Sony:
The Digital Camera Thread: Questions, discussions, etc.-dsc03626.jpg

Pic taken at the same time using the LX3. Both are "full auto" mode
The Digital Camera Thread: Questions, discussions, etc.-p1000091.jpg

The Digital Camera Thread: Questions, discussions, etc.-dsc03627.jpg

3 year warranty:
The Digital Camera Thread: Questions, discussions, etc.-dsc03628.jpg

The Digital Camera Thread: Questions, discussions, etc.-dsc03629.jpg

The Digital Camera Thread: Questions, discussions, etc.-dsc03636.jpg

The Digital Camera Thread: Questions, discussions, etc.-dsc03637.jpg

Size comparo:
The Digital Camera Thread: Questions, discussions, etc.-dsc03640.jpg

The Digital Camera Thread: Questions, discussions, etc.-dsc03642.jpg

The Digital Camera Thread: Questions, discussions, etc.-dsc03649.jpg

The Digital Camera Thread: Questions, discussions, etc.-dsc03643.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 6th September 2009 at 19:09.
Old 6th September 2009, 19:08   #3378
Senior - BHPian

Congrats GTO. The legendary Marlboro pack had to be there eh ?
Old 6th September 2009, 19:31   #3379
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Was delivered to my office yesterday from a Panasonic distributor
What mods do you have in mind for it?

My suggestions: Get a lens filter - a basic UV Protective filter would do - there's just too much dust flying around. "LX3 + filter" in Google will give you the filter size and also the adapter size, if one is required. Also, fit a protective cover for the LCD to protect it from scratches and stuff (the thin transparent sort that's available for cell phones).

Happy clicking!

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 6th September 2009 at 19:35.
Old 6th September 2009, 19:31   #3380
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Questions:

1. Three aspect ratio settings (switch on the lens) = 4:3, 3:2 and 16:9. Which one do I use to shoot cars?
The camera's native aspect ratio is 4:3. The other aspect ratios crop the sensor's working area to give you the ones shown. IMHO, it is always better to shoot in the camera's native aspect ratio and then crop the image to the most desirable aspect during post-processing.

Quote:
2. On the side of the lens is a switch which allows you to toggle between AF, AF (with a flowery symbol) and MF. Again, which one to shoot cars?
AF = Autofocus
AF with symbol = Autofocus in macro mode. This will let autofocus work on objects that are very close to the camera.
MF = Manual focus. You'll find that there's a focus ring around the camera which you can move to manually focus the lens when the switch is in this mode.

As for which mode to use, use macro when you are shooting something very up close and personal. Like maybe the innards of the headlight assembly. Manual is useful when AF simply refuses to focus on the subject you want.

Quote:
3. A button named "AF / AE lock". Any value to the intended purpose?
This is to lock focus and/or exposure. This way, you can make the camera focus or set exposure to something that it normally wouldn't, press the button, and then recompose the shot. Autofocus and exposure systems have very defined characteristics on what exactly they take account of when reading the scene. For example, they will focus on what is in the center of the shot, but you might want it to focus on something in the background.

Quote:
4. There's a small circular button titled "focus" on the top (next to click button). What's that for?
From a review of the camera,

Quote:
The focus button lets you pick the focus area/move the AF point around when using autofocus… or if you’re in manual focus mode, press the focus button to make the camera autofocus.
Quote:
5. Doesn't seem to be a way to "force flash use" in full auto mode (Sony has it). Any cause for concern?
I've never used this camera, but the flash settings button (right on the D-pad) should reveal several modes of flash use, among which one is "Always on"
Old 6th September 2009, 21:10   #3381
BHPian

Quote:
There should be provision for that in the menu. Also by pressing the flash button on the right side of the menu button. This is from my experience of Lumix LZ8.
Old 6th September 2009, 21:41   #3382
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurudatta Nayak View Post
Hi,

I am planning to buy a Digital cam for normal photography.
I need manual control for adjusting the shutter speed...

I have shortlisted 3 Cameras:
1) Canon Sx10IS
2) Sony H20
3) Panasonic FZ35/38

Kindly guide me which one to buy....also can any one find the Grey market prices for above models in Mumbai/Bangalore/HyD.

In USA Prices are as follows
1) Canon Sx10IS --> 369.94 =17,760/-
2) Sony H20 ---> 253.34 = 12,160/-
3) Panasonic FZ35/38--> 399.99 = 19,200/-

Thanks in Advance!
Is Fz35/38 available. If so they are quite light weight compared to the other cameras. Canon Sx20IS is already out and retails at 430USD i think ( a friend of mine bought one recently). The best bet would be to pick up Canon Sx10IS or Fz28 where you might possibly get gud deals. A friend of mine bought one recently and it has got a lot of features that you will be happy toying around. U cant go wrong with either Canon or Panasonic.

Grey market prices would be roughly around the US Prices.
Old 6th September 2009, 21:56   #3383
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
The camera's native aspect ratio is 4:3.

I've never used this camera, but the flash settings button (right on the D-pad) should reveal several modes of flash use, among which one is "Always on"
if you are very close to the object like say in the driver's seat and want to cover the entire dashboard you can use 16:9.

there will be an option for 'flash fill' use that.
Old 7th September 2009, 11:02   #3384
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountainheader View Post
Congrats GTO. The legendary Marlboro pack had to be there eh ?
Only thing that's always around to get a size comparison .

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
My suggestions: Get a lens filter - a basic UV Protective filter would do - there's just too much dust flying around. "LX3 + filter" in Google will give you the filter size and also the adapter size, if one is required. Also, fit a protective cover for the LCD to protect it from scratches
+1 on the dust. Two days and the lens already needs cleaning. Will call for a filter + LCD protector. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
The camera's native aspect ratio is 4:3. The other aspect ratios crop the sensor's working area to give you the ones shown. IMHO, it is always better to shoot in the camera's native aspect ratio and then crop the image to the most desirable aspect during post-processing.
Thanks for the detailed inputs, ImmortalZ.

Just to confirm : If we crop a 4:3 into a 16:9, there is no loss in quality (vis a vis clicking it in 16:9 mode)?

Quote:
use macro when you are shooting something very up close and personal. Like maybe the innards of the headlight assembly.
Spoken my language. Done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitha View Post
There should be provision for that in the menu. Also by pressing the flash button on the right side of the menu button. This is from my experience of Lumix LZ8.
Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
there will be an option for 'flash fill' use that.
Somehow, when using it last evening, I couldn't force flash in auto mode (possible in other modes though). Will play around some more. Thanks.

One more : Even in auto mode, you can set the exposure (-2 <-> +2). Right now, its on 0. What conditions do I use - / + in?

Last edited by GTO : 7th September 2009 at 11:06.
Old 7th September 2009, 12:10   #3385
Senior - BHPian

Congrats GTO, just like you even I am surprised at the the size of that thing(it looked bigger in pics) & its surely a very compact camera for the features
Old 7th September 2009, 12:35   #3386
BHPian

Sony DSC N2

Model: Sony DSC N2

10.1 Megapixel powerhouse in champagne gold, with a Carl Zeiss Vario Tessar 3x optical zoom lens.Huge 3.0-Inch Clear Photo LCD Plus Touch Screen.

The Digital Camera Thread: Questions, discussions, etc.-dscn2.jpg
Old 7th September 2009, 12:36   #3387
BHPian

Congrats GTO for the new purchace.

Guys need your advice on buyinga new Digi cam.I have shortlisted Nikon P90 or Sony H50.As per the features the Nikon seems to be best.Also let me know if any other model from canon/panasonic model which i can buy max 25,000/- budget.
Old 7th September 2009, 13:26   #3388
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parimal_g View Post
Congrats GTO for the new purchace.

Guys need your advice on buyinga new Digi cam.I have shortlisted Nikon P90 or Sony H50.As per the features the Nikon seems to be best.Also let me know if any other model from canon/panasonic model which i can buy max 25,000/- budget.
Other options worth considering are the Canon SX 10 IS, Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ28 and the Olympus SP-565 UZ. I have the FZ28, and it's a fantastic camera. However, I bought it in the US and it cost me $340 along with a camera bag, 8 GB card and a protective lens filter. If you buy any of these 3 cameras in India, it will cost between 23k - 25k, depending on your bargaining skills. Advantage of buying here is that you get a valid warranty too.

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 7th September 2009 at 13:30. Reason: Added Olympus
Old 7th September 2009, 16:08   #3389
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Just to confirm : If we crop a 4:3 into a 16:9, there is no loss in quality (vis a vis clicking it in 16:9 mode)?
In both cases you are taking the input from the full sensor and discarding some from the top and bottom to make it into a 16:9 image. The advantage of doing it in post-processing is that you can select which are to be included in the crop. A little more flexibility in the hands of the shooter.
Old 7th September 2009, 19:57   #3390
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thanks man. Any comments on my exposure query?

Most Viewed