Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2009, 21:16   #3466
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anainar View Post
So the light gets routed to the viewfinder through the prism and the sensor does not even come into play.
Thats where secondary sensor comes into play. Main sensor is not used at all in live preview.
Old 4th October 2009, 22:41   #3467
BHPian

Quote:
I think you are going tangentially here.
If you put two and two together, it isn't. Things are slowly falling into place. All these discussion have been very informative and helpful.
Old 7th October 2009, 10:04   #3468
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone any experience of the Canon d10? I am looking to it for its ruggedness and water/sand/shock resistance while taking decent pictures. The Olympus mju tough 8000 is another alternative. Has anyone here used any of these two?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gendarmee View Post
Just about when the newer version of the LX3 is at the horizon!
Any update on this? - this is another purchase I am mulling over, and I haven't come across any newer version. Nice DSLR that panasonic have announced though, the GF1, but that one looks to be expensive.
How would the LX3 stack up against the Canon G11?

Last edited by bblost : 7th October 2009 at 12:19. Reason: please avoid back2back posting, use edit instead
Old 7th October 2009, 23:54   #3469
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Any update on this? - this is another purchase I am mulling over, and I haven't come across any newer version.
They'd said that they wouldn't be launching a successor for it until atleast January 2010. That probably meant they'd be launching it after that. But then, there was a HUGE lag between LX2 and LX3.

Quote:
How would the LX3 stack up against the Canon G11?
Don't know. No reviews yet. But cant be very positive about G11, though it has a new sensor. I have a G9, there is color noise even at ISO80 in good light, turns bad in low light (attaching a pic, P mode ISO80). A friend using a G10 reported the same thing. So effectively, using cropped pics needs PPing. The preview pics for both cams on DPreview look good, but the detailed review does mention that for both, a complete review of G11 would be useful. You'd probably be better off with the Panny.
Attached Thumbnails
The Digital Camera Thread: Questions, discussions, etc.-edit.jpg  

Old 8th October 2009, 05:55   #3470
Senior - BHPian

The noise is probably why the G11 makes history as the first model upgrade to drop megapixels, down to 10 from the 14 on the G10. I think the G9 was more pixels than the G11 too, for that matter. The reason for thinking about the Canon is that I feel more confident of service and post purchase accessory availability with Canon India, than I feel with Panasonic India. Is the feeling justified?
I read up a lot more on the Lumix GF1, and that one looks delicious. But I am guessing it will cost around Rs 80k in India, but a drool worthy object for sure, an LX3 that can take DSLR quality pix, with interchangeable lenses.

Last edited by Sawyer : 8th October 2009 at 05:59.
Old 8th October 2009, 06:44   #3471
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

To your query, theoritically as well as practically it is possible for the companies to make a P&S cameras using larger CMOS sensors but the practicality of portability of P&S cameras will be lost.

Nainar
The micro four thirds line up that Olympus and Panasonic are backing seeks to solve just this riddle. DSLR size sensors, interchangeability, and more portability than DSLRs, particularly if one is willing to use a flat fixed focus prime lens when portability ranks above zoom convenience. Both the Olympus and Panasonic introductions of the last two or so months are very innovative. Unfortunately also very expensive, with the Olympus body alone going for close to Rs 42k. I suspect the Panasonic GF 1 body will come in at close to Rs 55k.
Essentially, the cameras do away with the mirror box viewfinder completely and use just the LCD screen to compose the picture. That allows for them to be smaller than DSLRs, but yield DSLR quality pictures. It also allows for them to capture video, currently a challenge to DSLRs.
Old 8th October 2009, 11:13   #3472
BHPian

Quote:
Essentially, the cameras do away with the mirror box viewfinder completely and use just the LCD screen to compose the picture. That allows for them to be smaller than DSLRs, but yield DSLR quality pictures. It also allows for them to capture video, currently a challenge to DSLRs.
That is interesting. But this composition using view finder may work with tripod mounts. Is it possible to compose a shot with a camera/lens weighing 1.5 kg away from the body, looking at the LCD screen? The minimum eye view distance is 30 cm I guess. It will definitely be a challenge.

Nainar
Old 8th October 2009, 11:21   #3473
Senior - BHPian

The weight of the body is 285 grams. Add another 100 grams for the fixed focus or 200 grams for the zoom, that is still less then 500 grams, tops. It should be manageable, none of the reviews make this out to be a big downer. An optional additional electronic viewfinder that sits in the hot shoe socket is available of course, if that is a must have feature.
Old 8th October 2009, 11:27   #3474
BHPian

Quote:
The weight of the body is 285 grams. Add another 100 grams for the fixed focus or 200 grams for the zoom, that is still less then 500 grams, tops. It should be manageable, none of the reviews make this out to be a big downer. An optional additional electronic viewfinder that sits in the hot shoe socket is available of course, if that is a must have feature.
Am getting curious and curious. Will definitely check the products and get more information. If I can get away from lugging those lenses and cameras nothing like that.

Will the zooms/Prime lenses be of L grade quality? To me it sounds too good to be true to have a camera combination weighing 500 gms to have such quality optics.

Nainar
Old 8th October 2009, 11:29   #3475
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That is interesting. But this composition using view finder may work with tripod mounts. Is it possible to compose a shot with a camera/lens weighing 1.5 kg away from the body, looking at the LCD screen? The minimum eye view distance is 30 cm I guess. It will definitely be a challenge.
Nainar
I think the newer micro 4/3 cameras have an optional accessory of an EVF, which obvioulsy no where close to the functionlaity of real VF, will take care of these problems. I am myself looking for a 4/3 to add to my travel kit but currently prices are too high.
Old 8th October 2009, 11:35   #3476
Senior - BHPian

Lumix lenses, and there is even one Leica lens in the round up. I'd say they are good optics!
I am guessing that once Olympus and Panasonic succeed with the format, Canon/Nikon/Sony will get on to the bandwagon, which is when the prices will get reasonable.

Last edited by Sawyer : 8th October 2009 at 11:37.
Old 8th October 2009, 15:00   #3477
BHPian

Guru's i am about to buy Nikon Coolpix S220..

anyone has any exp in this ? If anyone is using this cam please let me know their reviews..

please let me know if there are any better camera than this.. My budget is limited to 8k INR
Old 8th October 2009, 15:19   #3478
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRV2010 View Post
Guru's i am about to buy Nikon Coolpix S220..

anyone has any exp in this ? If anyone is using this cam please let me know their reviews..

please let me know if there are any better camera than this.. My budget is limited to 8k INR

The cheaper coolpix series are pretty slow in comparison to equivalent Canons or panys, especially shutter lag. I owned a L series coolpix and it had horrible shutter lag. Another problem is absolute lack of manual controls for even important fatures like ISO. Check these before you take the plunge.
Old 8th October 2009, 16:11   #3479
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
The cheaper coolpix series are pretty slow in comparison to equivalent Canons or panys, especially shutter lag. I owned a L series coolpix and it had horrible shutter lag. Another problem is absolute lack of manual controls for even important fatures like ISO. Check these before you take the plunge.
Sparkled, thanks for the quick response and also for the warning about shutter lag.
do u recommend any Digi cam in around 8K ?
Old 8th October 2009, 17:26   #3480
Senior - BHPian

At 8K assuming buying from India, Canons are pretty responsive and have adequate manual controls compared to Nikons and others. Get one of the A series which are quite nice at their price point. I would still try out a newer coolpix to see if they still suffer from problems that I mentioned.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks