Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2010, 08:40   #4186
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
Hey,
thanks for the response. So how you getting along with the HS10? I am doing just fine. Cant get my hands around a lot of things, mainly because i am still new to the world of Manual Photography. Over all from my usage i have found 2 major negatives of this camera.

1. Battery life: I am not at all happy with the battery life. I keep 3 sets of rechargeable batteries with me at all times during travelling. 1 set of fully charged batteries gives me max 350 images. On the other hand my cousins Canon SX20 (which also runs on 4 AA batteries) gave him over 500 during our last trip.

2. Grainy images : Upon clicking long shot images i see a lot of grains in them.

Any more inputs from you are welcome.

I do not think battery life is a negative in my case; try using Eneloops as Extreme has mentioned earlier. One thing that does affect battery life is the amount of processing that the camera has to do. I get about 300+ pictures myself, but I generally use RAW and a decent amount of flash as well.

The HS10 is a tough camera to learn on. Are you on SRAuto / Auto mode while taking shots? I generally use the Manual mode and try to stick to ISO 100 all the time. Of course, you would then need a long exposure if the light is poor and very steady hands. I have invested in a 1.4 TC lens and now see the need for a stand as well.
Old 23rd October 2010, 10:25   #4187
BHPian

Hey Guys,

I have question thats bothering me and I need your guidance.

On the FZ100, there is an engraving of 52mm. Does this mean any 52mm Lens (like 2x Telephoto or Wide-Angle or Macro) will fit on it directly without any adapters?
Old 23rd October 2010, 10:27   #4188
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenster View Post
Does this mean any 52mm Lens (like 2x Telephoto or Wide-Angle or Macro) will fit on it directly without any adapters?
Yes. If you could post a picture, I could confirm.
Old 23rd October 2010, 11:00   #4189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative View Post
Yes. If you could post a picture, I could confirm.
Thanks for the quick response buddy! here is a picture of the lense, hope this is what you asked for?

The DMW-LT55 shown on the FZ100 website is a lil expensive compared to others (TC-E17ED or Tcon17 etc.) .
Attached Thumbnails
The Digital Camera Thread: Questions, discussions, etc.-23102010564.jpg  

The Digital Camera Thread: Questions, discussions, etc.-23102010563.jpg  

Last edited by Zenster : 23rd October 2010 at 11:06.
Old 23rd October 2010, 11:14   #4190
Senior - BHPian

I will just post up what I have on my HS10. The details near the lens and the size of the filter are posted in attachments. Took the pictures quickly with my Blackberry, but you should be able to see things.
Attached Thumbnails
The Digital Camera Thread: Questions, discussions, etc.-img00063201010231104.jpg  

The Digital Camera Thread: Questions, discussions, etc.-img00065201010231105.jpg  

Old 23rd October 2010, 11:22   #4191
Senior - BHPian

Zenster, just did a bit of research and it seems that the FZ100 will take 55mm teleconverters without any conversion rings. I use a 1.4x Schneider Kreuznach TC which is 55mm and use a 58-55 stepdown for that. Quite bugging.

Why do I say what I say, because of this? Because from this site:

DMC-FZ100 | PRODUCTS | LUMIX | Digital Camera | Panasonic Global

the accessories list shows a DMWLT55 which is a TC lens having diameter 55mm.
Old 23rd October 2010, 11:27   #4192
BHPian

Quote:
Zenster, just did a bit of research and it seems that the FZ100 will take 55mm teleconverters without any conversion rings. I use a 1.4x Schneider Kreuznach TC which is 55mm and use a 58-55 stepdown for that. Quite bugging.

Why do I say what I say, because of this? Because from this site:

DMC-FZ100 | PRODUCTS | LUMIX | Digital Camera | Panasonic Global

the accessories list shows a DMWLT55 which is a TC lens having diameter 55mm.
Thanks again buddy! I checked around and found similar information. Now to hunt for 55mm Filters and lens
Old 23rd October 2010, 11:36   #4193
Senior - BHPian

Hey made a big mistake. The FZ100 uses a 52mm lens.

Forgot to read this: *1 Requires Lens Adaptor (DMW-LA5) for attachment.

This warning does not show up for the 52mm accessories. Hence my guess. In any case get into a camera shop and try things out. A step-up step-down ring should not cost more than 20 Rs.
Old 23rd October 2010, 15:02   #4194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I do not think battery life is a negative in my case; try using Eneloops as Extreme has mentioned earlier. One thing that does affect battery life is the amount of processing that the camera has to do. I get about 300+ pictures myself, but I generally use RAW and a decent amount of flash as well.

I am using SONY rechargeable battries. My older set was giving me about 300 odd shots. 2 weeks ago I purchased a new set and that one gave me close to 450 ish shots. Which i can say i am satisfied now. I was being told for enelope by a lot of people. But you know at times you tend to ignore the good advise and act dumb. That's exactly what i did

The HS10 is a tough camera to learn on. Are you on SRAuto / Auto mode while taking shots? I generally use the Manual mode and try to stick to ISO 100 all the time. Of course, you would then need a long exposure if the light is poor and very steady hands. I have invested in a 1.4 TC lens and now see the need for a stand as well.
I generally use SR auto. What i have started doing lately is, i take one picture on SR auto and then i try taking the same using M and S or what ever modes and than i analyse the difference in amongst them. So that ways it gives me a security of not loosing a good shot and also a trial and error confidence.

Cheers

Last edited by h@r$h@l : 23rd October 2010 at 15:04.
Old 23rd October 2010, 18:08   #4195
Senior - BHPian

So that is the issue. When you use SRAuto, the camera makes aggressive choices in order to ensure more sensitivity which is why it will choose an ISO range between 200 and 800. If there is a lot of ambient light, it will choose ISO 100, but this choice is very rare on SR Auto. Will take a full zoom shot as well and post it later.

BTW, the max exposure time for a Canon SX30IS is 15 seconds. For the HS10 it is 30 seconds.
Old 24th October 2010, 17:54   #4196
BHPian

Guys, I own a Sony DSC H50. The problem with this digicam is it's battery life.
It comes with a NP-BG1 battery which is now discontinued and replaced by NP-FG1.
The battery life of my digicam is very bad. Is there a way around this other than carrying and BUYING extra batteries?
I would be attending a wedding so I want the digicam to last long. What can be done?
Old 24th October 2010, 19:28   #4197
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhipuru16 View Post
Guys, I own a Sony DSC H50. The problem with this digicam is it's battery life.
I would be attending a wedding so I want the digicam to last long. What can be done?
Abhi,

I think that the only thing you could be doing is - buy an extra battery and carry your charger along. :( I am not an expert on the DSC H50, in fact I am not an expert at all. I am paranoid and just carry a lot of batteries. In fact that is exactly why I bought a camera that runs on AA batteries.

BTW, how is the new battery, the NP-FG1 that is? You might want to invest in one or at worst scan shops for an unsold battery of your type.
Old 25th October 2010, 16:43   #4198
Senior - BHPian

Guys, i got my new Panasonic FZ35 Saturday. This thread was really helpful in deciding on that camera. Thanks!

Here's my attempt at taking a moon shot.
25x EZ zoom.
Attached Thumbnails
The Digital Camera Thread: Questions, discussions, etc.-p1000115_crop.jpg  

Old 25th October 2010, 18:36   #4199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentEngine View Post
Guys, i got my new Panasonic FZ35 Saturday. This thread was really helpful in deciding on that camera. Thanks!

Here's my attempt at taking a moon shot.
25x EZ zoom.
Congrats on your purchase! How much did u pay for it and from where did u pick it up?

Nice click, of the moon i mean. Here a pic is took from my FZ100 on the 23rd Oct (Saturday). Used Aperture priority, set it to 5.2, spot metering,spot focus etc. No Tripod used since the moon was overhead and I couldn't get the lil Gorillapod to stand properly with the cam .

I think there is a lil more detail in your FZ35 click, but I was trying to achieve the click from user: LTZ470 from the link below.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pa...-tc-e17ed.html

Can one of the experts please help us understand why his pic sooooo detailed compared to mine with the same camera and similar settings? Is it the teleconverter that is playing a big role here?

The Digital Camera Thread: Questions, discussions, etc.-p1010119.jpg

Last edited by Zenster : 25th October 2010 at 18:39.
Old 25th October 2010, 19:06   #4200
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Zenster
I got it from Foto Circle, same store that you referred, for 22.5K

My shot was using F4.4, ISO 80, Exposure 1/200, 25x EZ. With the default 18x zoom, i wasn't able to capture much detail. Also i think my photo is a bit grainy as well.

Most Viewed