Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 10th November 2010, 14:29   #4261
Distinguished - BHPian

Hello people!!
Posting this on behalf of a friend,

He recently got a Cyber-Shot and has been facing a weird problem. The cam takes pictures all fine. Thing is whenever he tries to 'view' the pictures, it shows a blurry image for a second and then the perfectly clear image. Happens when the cam is connected to a tv as well.

My initial hunch: Problem with the memory card, he is using a class 2 4gb card, I have asked him to use a class4 card and see if there is any improvement.

Going in the right direction or any other solutions/thoughts?

Please advice.
Old 10th November 2010, 15:05   #4262
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
Any idea how much these camera's cost?
will be getting it from US from my bro... costs 400$ there. On new egg there is a scheme too, u get a carry bag and two 8 gb memory cards, unable to determine what class they are though.
Old 11th November 2010, 00:25   #4263
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Hello people!!
Posting this on behalf of a friend,

Thing is whenever he tries to 'view' the pictures, it shows a blurry image for a second and then the perfectly clear image.
Its normal. Large images take some some time to load. It could have been solved by adding RAM if it were a PC, but then, here, I guess you will have to live with it. However, I believe, there will not be any problem while viewing smaller images, say VGA resolution.
Old 11th November 2010, 06:03   #4264
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I for one would buy the panasonic due to two big reasons
1. RAW mode
2. Full manual control for video recording (you can set aperture, shutter speed, ISO etc.,)

Also, you can read this piece, excellent article
A Superzoom Shootout
Though I take reviews with a pinch of salt, I fully agree with what tsk is saying. If you are using the camera as a step up to a DSLR, then what tsk has pointed out makes a lot of sense.

The one big plus of the Canon is its 35x zoom. To be honest, I have not laid my hands on it and tried it out, but overall have seen results from Panasonics and these are pretty good.
Old 11th November 2010, 20:04   #4265
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative View Post
The one big plus of the Canon is its 35x zoom.
I see that 35x is cool to have, but I am not able to get decent shots hand held. I feel a tripod is essential above 25x.

Any idea how to reduce the file size of HD videos without significantly reducing the quality? A 3 min HD video on the SX30 is about 450MB.

I am getting a 8GB card tomorrow for shooting RC action in Pattaya.
Old 11th November 2010, 20:22   #4266
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, today I got myself a Nikon P100. Cost me 18,300. I'm a novice in photography, gotta learn much.
Old 11th November 2010, 20:55   #4267
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
I see that 35x is cool to have, but I am not able to get decent shots hand held. I feel a tripod is essential above 25x. ...
I am getting a 8GB card tomorrow for shooting RC action in Pattaya.
Absolutely correct on the requirement for a tripod. Though you can get some good shots at high ISO and a steady hand. I have managed some decent snaps at 25-26x (I think ), though it would be more of luck than anything else.

In any case, there are other issues like aberrations that come with the large zoom cameras - my HS10 suffers from this. But theoretically, assuming you have a tripod, there is nothing like good reach. Beats carrying extra weight around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Guys, today I got myself a Nikon P100. Cost me 18,300. I'm a novice in photography, gotta learn much.
Decent choice. All the best in the learning process.
Old 11th November 2010, 21:15   #4268
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In any case, there are other issues like aberrations that come with the large zoom cameras - my HS10 suffers from this.
are you using raw? I have noticed that the JPEG processor corrects distortion to a large extent.
Old 11th November 2010, 21:35   #4269
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
are you using raw? I have noticed that the JPEG processor corrects distortion to a large extent.

Yup. Using RAW. Will try the same shots in JPEG and see. Can the distortion be corrected in Photoshop / GIMP?
Old 11th November 2010, 21:53   #4270
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yup. Using RAW. Will try the same shots in JPEG and see. Can the distortion be corrected in Photoshop / GIMP?
never tried, I stick to JPEG nowadays. Here is a GIF I made long back of he same shot, from raw and JPEG.

The Digital Camera Thread: Questions, discussions, etc.-ff5dac7c14fa4930b29c3d0637666d23.gif
Old 12th November 2010, 10:17   #4271
Senior - BHPian

@vivek. Interesting. Did you increase the saturation? If so, and if not, what did you use to convert the conversion?
Old 12th November 2010, 11:05   #4272
Senior - BHPian

no, the JPEG engine applied WB i guess. I just exported the image out of RAW using Fuji's own S/W and noticed the correction, so decided to stitch them as GIF for illustration.

this was when I got the cam earlier this year and I was experimenting, can't even locate the original files now
Old 12th November 2010, 15:25   #4273
BHPian

Quote:
@vivek. Interesting. Did you increase the saturation? If so, and if not, what did you use to convert the conversion?
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
no, the JPEG engine applied WB i guess. I just exported the image out of RAW using Fuji's own S/W and noticed the correction, so decided to stitch them as GIF for illustration.

this was when I got the cam earlier this year and I was experimenting, can't even locate the original files now
Guys, How do you find the high ISO handling of the HS10 ?

I shot the below at ISO 800 and as you can see, the quality is terrible.

Any pointers
Attached Thumbnails
The Digital Camera Thread: Questions, discussions, etc.-pulsar_oil.jpg  

Old 12th November 2010, 16:02   #4274
BHPian

Carry case (rather pouch) for Pana FZ-35 & similar sized high zooms

Hey Guys, I was on look out for a decent snug-fit carry case for my Pana-FZ35 fro quite some time, the one which came with the camera was quite bulky.

Noticed this model from case logic yesterday at GK Vale Bangalore:

Case Logic TBC-304:

Case Logic Compact Camcorder / High Zoom Camera Case > Camcorder Cases > Case Logic

Although they advertise this case for Camcorder, but it is very much suitable for high zooms like Panasonic FZ-35. The ones advertised for high zooms are quite bulky again. There is enough space in TBC-304 for the data cable, the camera and a spare battery & memory cards. The battery charger though will need to be carried separately. Also no belt loop present but can be stitched easily.

Just attach a wrist loop (I prefer it that way) to the camera instead of the shoulder belt and the end result is a very compact carry pack for a high zoom, which can be easily carried along even on the belt. very convenient indeed. MRP-Rs.695, got it for 600 after some decent haggling.
Old 12th November 2010, 19:30   #4275
Senior - BHPian

@para,

I generally do not shoot at ISO settings more than 400. Most of my shots are at 100 ISO - which means my output is severely limited. In any case, give me some time and I will experiment. In the meantime, could you give out some more information - aperture, shutter speed, ambient conditions and whether you used flash or no.

A generic comment on the HS10 would be that any attempted pixel peeping will leave you disappointed because of the very aggressive noise reduction that it uses. This means that if you have cropped the image at 100%, it is going to look bad. Will get back on this one.

Most Viewed