Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2011, 21:45   #4471
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Digital Camera Thread: Questions, discussions, etc.

tOn, yes am not in hurry at the same time want to pic a cam which i will stick on for a while.

with Dslr the cost of lenses am not sure how many lenses i will be able to buy, so with these confusions i better wait

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative View Post
@lohith:
If you are not in a hurry it is always better to wait.

If I have to own one camera it would have to be a DSLR. I am happy with the D90 but do not have the finances to have all the lenses. Therefore the HS10 stays on. However, I have decided to keep all my cameras including my Canon film SLR. One never knows what one would like to try.
Old 8th February 2011, 22:40   #4472
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post

if you are to own just 1 camera what will you prefer?
Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
tOn, yes am not in hurry at the same time want to pic a cam which i will stick on for a while.

This is going to be your only camera (you have none right now) and still you are not in a hurry?

ok, you can argue that it was a hypothetical question.
Old 8th February 2011, 23:08   #4473
Senior - BHPian

@lohith:

Kind of agree with vivek here. If lenses are your concern, then stick to a superzoom. As you have mentioned earlier that you like to be mobile, look at models that you can carry in a bit jacket pocket atleast. If you are travelling around a bit, I envy you as travelling is what gives you a lot of images to capture. Do not worry too much about the camera as there a number of competent cameras in the market and whichever one you choose should keep you happy. Upgrade when and if you feel like.
Old 8th February 2011, 23:18   #4474
BHPian

Great pics.

FZ100 has manual mode, the reason to use this setting is to increase the level of detail of the subject.

I tried the following shot but the picture is not sharp and doesn't have much detail.
The Digital Camera Thread: Questions, discussions, etc.-p1020170_filtered_filtered.jpg

The following pic was taken with FZ100 but has lot of detail.
The Digital Camera Thread: Questions, discussions, etc.-dragonfly.jpg

Quote:
Why do you have to do so much? The FZ100 has a full manual mode correct? You can manually set Aperture and Shutter speed, focus manually and then take the shot. The following shots were taken by me with a FujiFilm HS10 in full manual. Whatever PJBiju and kkr have said is correct. A bit of shuffling around will get you your shot. Nothing beats manual for close up shots. The only downside is that your subject has to be cooperative. With a flower you will not have any problems except the shaking due to breeze.

Dragon Fly by I want my screen name, on Flickr

Flower (Macro) by I want my screen name, on Flickr
Old 9th February 2011, 00:07   #4475
Senior - BHPian

@gopi,

even manual can give you the same amount of detail. I shoot in RAW and then adjust contrast and saturation. The FZ100 is capable of the same if I am not mistaken.

The second picture is awesome. Did you take that?
Old 9th February 2011, 01:28   #4476
Distinguished - BHPian

@ gopinathann , what is the aperture setting in the 2nd pic?
Old 9th February 2011, 09:24   #4477
Senior - BHPian

Vivek & tOn, i do have a camera now(KodalDX6490) presently but it seems to have some issues.'

Issue is these equipments cost peanuts if you want to dispose it in the future so wanted to be sure what i pick... just waiting for the HS20 once i have a look at couple of reviews then am all set
Old 9th February 2011, 17:20   #4478
BHPian

Quote:
@gopi,

even manual can give you the same amount of detail. I shoot in RAW and then adjust contrast and saturation. The FZ100 is capable of the same if I am not mistaken.

The second picture is awesome. Did you take that?
Both pics are from FZ100, but the second pic I took it from dpreview forum. Inspired by the pic I tried the same and ended up in the first pic, which I want to improve on it by changing the setting.
Old 9th February 2011, 18:47   #4479
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopinathann View Post
Both pics are from FZ100, but the second pic I took it from dpreview forum. Inspired by the pic I tried the same and ended up in the first pic, which I want to improve on it by changing the setting.
Trust me, try manual. You can practice focusing on household stuff and then move onto the bugs. With auto settings you are at the mercy of the camera which can get fooled in tricky light settings. tsk1979 was raving about the manual controls on the FZ. You can ask him.
Old 10th February 2011, 20:45   #4480
BHPian

Quote:
Trust me, try manual. You can practice focusing on household stuff and then move onto the bugs. With auto settings you are at the mercy of the camera which can get fooled in tricky light settings. tsk1979 was raving about the manual controls on the FZ. You can ask him.
Got some improvement after using spot focus and some other settings, yet to try manual focus.
The Digital Camera Thread: Questions, discussions, etc.-p1020255_filtered.jpg
Old 10th February 2011, 21:00   #4481
Senior - BHPian

@gopinathann,

You have got the depth of field right. Only, what was your subject? You would see one more disadvantage of trusting the fully auto mode -> the overexposure on the knob. In comparison part of the black surface is well focused and clear. It is a bit difficult at first, but play with the following variables:

1. ISO - keep this as low as possible as the sensor size is small
2. Aperture - keep this as wide as possible if the subject is not well lit
3. Shutter speed

The camera should indicate to you when all three parameters are in harmony. In the HS10 the numbers showed on the EVF go to a shade of green/blue if things are fine else they are red. Focus carefully till you are satisfied. If you have a tripod it is even better.
Old 10th February 2011, 22:13   #4482
Team-BHP Support

For macro its best to use manual focus. The MF assist is brilliant on the FZ
Old 10th February 2011, 22:38   #4483
BHPian

Thanks for you suggestions. I wanted to focus on the knob and I notice that it is overexposed in some area. Next time I will use the Exposure lock and manual focus.

Quote:
@gopinathann,

You have got the depth of field right. Only, what was your subject? You would see one more disadvantage of trusting the fully auto mode -> the overexposure on the knob. In comparison part of the black surface is well focused and clear. It is a bit difficult at first, but play with the following variables:

1. ISO - keep this as low as possible as the sensor size is small
2. Aperture - keep this as wide as possible if the subject is not well lit
3. Shutter speed

The camera should indicate to you when all three parameters are in harmony. In the HS10 the numbers showed on the EVF go to a shade of green/blue if things are fine else they are red. Focus carefully till you are satisfied. If you have a tripod it is even better.
Old 10th February 2011, 22:40   #4484
Senior - BHPian

EOS600D and EOS1100D

Well, I just read on dpreview, that Canon has announced EOS600D and EOS1100D. Preview links are Canon EOS 600D Hands-on Preview: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review and Canon EOS 1100D Quick Preview Preview: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review.

Any idea when they will be available in India? Would it be better to get one of these abroad itself?
Old 12th February 2011, 01:19   #4485
BHPian

A well known camera dealer in Hyderabad, Chimalgi, tells me that it will take a month for the 600d and 1100d to hit the Indian market. If buying abroad you might want to consider buying the India/International warrenty, additionally.

Most Viewed