Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2011, 23:33   #4666
BHPian

Re: The Digital Camera Thread: Questions, discussions, etc.

I'm lot more confused with the choices available in the 50-80k category especially by canon. Which one to buy - 500, 550, 600, 60, 7? which kit? What is Rebel and Kiss in the US market which are also marked as 550? Can anyone please clarify for me?

Help will be much appreciated in making a decision.
Old 27th June 2011, 15:40   #4667
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonstop-driver View Post
I'm lot more confused with the choices available in the 50-80k category especially by canon. Which one to buy - 500, 550, 600, 60, 7? which kit.
1. what features do you need most?
2. what do you shoot? indoors? video? sports?

As has been said before all 5 cameras listed above can take good images. The 600 and 60 have a tilt and swivel lens and a better suited to video than the other 3 though I have seen very good video shot with the 550 as well.

dpreview has a lot of comparitive information. In the end for most of on fixed budgets the more we spend on the body the less we have for the lenses. Also bodies loos value faster than lenses so it make sense to first choose the lenses you need most then choose a body that suits your budget.
Old 28th June 2011, 21:12   #4668
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
@Akshay,

Fujifilm HS10, Panasonic FZ40 , Canon SX30 IS , Nikon P500 ,are regarded as among the better superzooms , though Nikon's P&S range is not as good relative to Canon/Panasonic. Second rung of superzooms has Fujifilm S4000 and S3300/S2950, Nikon L120 , Canon SX130 IS

If long zoom is not so much of a priority, Canon S90/95 or G11/G12 , Olympus XZ-1 or Panasonic LX5 have larger image sensors for better image quality, at the expect of zoom range.
Thanks for the suggestion Ricci, What do you think about DSC-HX100V? Canon SX30 over shoots my budget. I'm confused between P500 and Sony HX100V
Old 1st July 2011, 05:06   #4669
BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

Excuse me for asking about Simi-SLR, has anyone used "Fujifilm S2950"
i've checked a lot of sample videos and reviews, and feel like ordering right away, but I am sure my Team-bhp members would certainly have some information about it.

Purpose: just casual photography, some videos.
Had budget of 6-7k for point and shoot, but after viewing features of this one, I am trying to stretch the budget and go for it.

ofcourse at 8499 this looks like a steal at letsbuy.
Old 1st July 2011, 11:37   #4670
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Folks am back, i know its been months since i posted in last, it was ...FujiHS20 gave a close fight but the picture quality is something which put me down..

Very good choice. You will not regret the choice. Though given your requirements, you would need to invest in the right lens.
typeOnegative is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2011, 13:16   #4671
BHPian

Couldn't resist and just paid for "Fujifilm FinePix S2950 Digital Camera (limited period offer)" on letsbuy, thanks to TBHP members for rcomlb1 coupon code :-)
Old 1st July 2011, 13:24   #4672
Senior - BHPian

tOn, i must thank you as during my search initially you did give loads of inputs which help me to make my mind, i did get into a slumber in between as too much of thinking might stall one

Also many others who chipped in with thier suggestions all worked in framing this decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative View Post
Very good choice. You will not regret the choice. Though given your requirements, you would need to invest in the right lens.
Old 1st July 2011, 20:36   #4673
BHPian

Hi Guyz

Need suggestions for a P&S digicam. My requirements are very simple/basic

- Should have jerk free HD video recording.
- Small/slim/easy to carry
- Fast/less shutter lag

I have a strict budget of 10k. Any recommendations please?

Thanks
Old 1st July 2011, 22:53   #4674
BHPian

Elito11 check the one I posted above,
there are lot of sample videos and reviews on youtube, and its certainly the best one could get for 8.5k
Old 2nd July 2011, 00:19   #4675
BHPian

Yet another "which-DSLR post"
I've decided to buy DSLR cameras after playing with a few DSLRs, The picture quality of these DSLRs was simply superb.

I have a strict budget of 25k and these are the models which are in my reach.

Canon DSLR EOS 1100D With 18-55mm IS Kit
Nikon DSLR D3000 with 18-55mm IS Kit
Sony DSLR A390L

Cannon DSLR D3100 is great but costs 30k which is beyond my budget, What do you guys suggest.
Old 4th July 2011, 19:16   #4676
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpk View Post
Elito11 check the one I posted above,
there are lot of sample videos and reviews on Youtube, and its certainly the best one could get for 8.5k
Thanks ghpk. However i looking for a slimmer/P&S camera and not a superzoon. I already own Fuji S6000FD. Its good enuff for me, but for my wife/parents i need a pocket/handbag friendly P&S. I find it tough to carry my Fuji around to parties/events without looking like a 'pro' or a 'camera man' which while nothing wrong I am not. I am just a P&S guy.
Old 4th July 2011, 21:55   #4677
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay_b View Post
Yet another "which-DSLR post"
I've decided to buy DSLR cameras after playing with a few DSLRs, The picture quality of these DSLRs was simply superb.

I have a strict budget of 25k and these are the models which are in my reach.

Canon DSLR EOS 1100D With 18-55mm IS Kit
Nikon DSLR D3000 with 18-55mm IS Kit
Sony DSLR A390L

Cannon DSLR D3100 is great but costs 30k which is beyond my budget, What do you guys suggest.
There is no Canon DSLR called the D3100. You must be referring to the Nikon. It is a great camera for starters but I think the D3000 could be a good choice as well. However, since the Canon 1100D is newer and is within budget, go for it.

Sony DSLRs while interesting might let you down in the long run if you are looking for lenses etc.

P.S. There is a separate thread on DSLRs.
Old 5th July 2011, 17:59   #4678
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative View Post
There is no Canon DSLR called the D3100. You must be referring to the Nikon. It is a great camera for starters but I think the D3000 could be a good choice as well. However, since the Canon 1100D is newer and is within budget, go for it.

Sony DSLRs while interesting might let you down in the long run if you are looking for lenses etc.

P.S. There is a separate thread on DSLRs.
Err sorry i was referring to nikon D3100. I compared the D3100 with nikon's 1100D and found the 3100 to be better!
Old 5th July 2011, 18:48   #4679
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay_b View Post
Guys,

Can you suggest me a high end p&s/High zoom camera for my vacation, I have a budget of 25k. I'm not into high end interchangeable lens DLSR cameras.
Hey Akshay! I would suggest you to consider the Fujifilm HS 10 (HS 20 Image quality is slightly inferior to its predecessor) or the Sony HX100V amongst the Point & Shoot Cameras. Both these models are equally competent, with the Fuji priced at around 20K & Sony at 22.5K. The Sony has GPS, Lithium battery, lighter body wheras the Fuji has manual zoom control, focus ring, RAW capability, External flash provision, AA battery & so on. The Fuji supports high speed video recording as well.

Alternately you can try the Olympus PEN EPL1, which with a single lens costs about 23K & 33K with twin lens kit. This model has exceptional picture quality & is at par with DSLRs albeit with drastically simple interface.
vipinjoshi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2011, 19:10   #4680
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonstop-driver View Post
I'm lot more confused with the choices available in the 50-80k category especially by canon. Which one to buy - 500, 550, 600, 60, 7? which kit? What is Rebel and Kiss in the US market which are also marked as 550? Can anyone please clarify for me?

Help will be much appreciated in making a decision.
Hi! As suggested by another BHPian, you need to see you use. In case it is for hobby use, any DSLR body should suffice and i would not suggest going beyond the Canon 550D segmant. I would rather suggest you invest in a good lens than a more expensive body unless even faster FPS & even higher (but hardly used) ISO would be used. The prices in the US and India are hardly different, with there being no warranty on US products in India.

Why don't you consider the Sony A-33/A-55 SLT Cameras. They are light years ahead in terms of performance & features with benefits as follows:
  • Lighter & Stronger Magnesium Alloy body
  • Sensor is the same as the Nikon D7000, as the sensors for Nikon (majority of them) are made by SONY. Google it and you'll find out.
  • Tilt adjustable High resolution LCD
  • Bright & Clear (better than Pentamirror) Hybrid viewfinder
  • Unbelievable 7/10 FPS shoot speed (A-33/A-55)
  • GPS (A-55)
  • Mind boggling Standard ISO 12800 with Multi shot NR going upto 25600!
  • Built in AF motor & Stabilizer, which means no need to waste money on stabilized version of lenses.
  • Built in stereo mic (mono in all other DSLRs)
I would suggest you look at the following options:
  1. Canon 550D with 18-55 IS & Canon 55-250 IS @ Rs.50K
  2. Canon 550D with only Sigma 18-200 OS @ Rs.58K
  3. Canon 550D with only Tamron 18-270 PZD VC @ Rs.85K
  4. Sony A33 with 18-55 & Sigma 70-300 Macro @ Rs.47K (10K extra for A-55)
  5. Sony A33 with Sigma 18-200 @ Rs.55K (10K extra for A-55)
Let me know if you want any further clarifications

Most Viewed