Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2011, 10:19   #4741
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Digital Camera Thread: Questions, discussions, etc.

Hi guys,

I am Dr.Ashwinkumar from chennai. I am nowhere into photography till now.

I have recently got a basic DSLR Canon EOS 1100D with ( EF-S 18-55 iii) Kit and tripod as a compliment, which is motivating me to study photography more ardently. Is this a good enough camera?

Are there any websites from which i can learn the basics of aperture/ shutter /ISO and things?

The kit comes with 18-55 lens. Are there any other lenses which i need to buy for some good photography as basic investment?

There is a training program given by canon which i have enrolled and looking forward to go. Are these training program any useful?

Please advice
Old 16th September 2011, 10:22   #4742
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeash View Post
The kit comes with 18-55 lens. Are there any other lenses which i need to buy for some good photography as basic investment?

Please advice
Me too relatively newbie, the Kit lens is good enough for beginning, and once you start mastering, you may feel the cons of the lens, and you may need other lenses, like a zoom lens, a macro lens or a wide angle.

So personally, I would suggest you to use the kit lens for few months, at least, till you learn your tool. 18-55 is not at all a bad lens!!

Happy clicking!!
Old 20th September 2011, 22:45   #4743
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
Does anybody here own Sony DSC HX9V or Canon SX230HS ? I am evaluating these two for a travel-zoom camera. Not interested in other bulky models. Both are priced similarly at about 16k on JJM and about $300 in US. Are there any other better online/B&M stores in Bangalore where I can try these out ?

I'm too considering the HX9V. Sony center's have a demo of the model. carry a SD card, test it out and decide. I spent an hour shooting with it in all modes. it's quite nice and the geotagging works perfectly and pinpoints the location on google earth.

Have yet to see where the Canon is available for testing. what is tempting is that these canons can be hacked to throw up DSLR like features and raw shooting. google it.
Old 22nd September 2011, 19:12   #4744
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimist View Post
I'm too considering the HX9V. Sony center's have a demo of the model. carry a SD card, test it out and decide. I spent an hour shooting with it in all modes. it's quite nice and the geotagging works perfectly and pinpoints the location on google earth.

Have yet to see where the Canon is available for testing. what is tempting is that these canons can be hacked to throw up DSLR like features and raw shooting. google it.
Hey Guys! Both the models are exceptionally good ones with almost similar specifications. You wouldn't be wrong in picking up either one of these, though i would suggest to buy it through the legal channel to avail the warranties.

I found these to be the distinguishing features of the Sony:
  • Sony is 15% wider than the Canon (24mm vs 28mm)
  • The Image Stabilizer is exceptional in its functioning (Try zooming fully and then focus on a distant object) and gives unbelievably sharp pictures.
  • Focus speed during stills and videos is much faster than Canon.
  • Background defocus like SLRs is possible, with 3 levels of defocus. The subject is clear and sharp and the background is blurred.
  • 3D photos & Sweep Panorama
  • Twice the screen resolution than Canon (461000 vs 921000 pixels)
  • Better minimum shutter speed (15 vs 30 seconds) though maximum is better in Canon {1/3200 vs 1/1600 seconds}
  • Much faster continuous shoot speed (10 fps vs 3.2 fps)
  • Full HD video at 50 fps vs 24 fps in Canon. This will allow you to record amazing slow motion videos.
  • Battery Capacity 300 shots vs 210 in Canon.
Considering the above differences, it is safe to say that the Sony is a better buy, especially if we consider the huge service network and 1 year extra warranty.
vipinjoshi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th September 2011, 18:07   #4745
Senior - BHPian

Please suggest a good handy cam between 15-20K INR. I am open to any brand (read well known brands like Sony/Panasonic/Samsung/JVC).

My friend is getting it from abroad (he is traveling to Singapore-Malaysia-Thailand). Of the three countries, where would it be better to buy?

If the price difference is very less, I will buy it in Bangalore only.

I will be mainly using it for shooting family get together/ puja at home/trips etc. Basically it should shoot everything and nothing in particular. HD video recording a must.

Last edited by sachinj12 : 30th September 2011 at 18:08.
Old 30th September 2011, 19:43   #4746
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Does anybody here own Sony DSC HX9V or Canon SX230HS ? ........Are there any other better online/B&M stores in Bangalore where I can try these out ?
I wanted a good quality compact as my 'always with me' kind of cam as my DSLR is over 2 kgs with its lenses. Reading reviews, talking to friends and checking images online for an entire 2 months: Sony HX9V was almost shortlisted. Went to Sony center and they offered for 15500 last month whereas even flipkart was selling it for 16600 (even now). Right now with the Diwali fever catching up, we should be able to see very good offers on this. Its a beautiful piece of art. I am waiting as I need to sort out few other things prioritized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimist View Post
I'm too considering the HX9V. Sony center's have a demo of the model.......
This is the best season to expect good bargains and offers !
Old 30th September 2011, 19:51   #4747
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
...: Sony HX9V was almost shortlisted. Went to Sony center and they offered for 15500 last month whereas even flipkart was selling it for 16600 (even now). Right now with the Diwali fever catching up, we should be able to see very good offers on this. Its a beautiful piece of art. I am waiting as I need to sort out few other things prioritized. ..
I ordered HX9V for 14,890 online with an additional 32GB Class 10 SD card for 2.3K
Old 30th September 2011, 20:09   #4748
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I ordered HX9V for 14,890 online with an additional 32GB Class 10 SD card for 2.3K
That is a very good deal . Where did you order online?
Old 30th September 2011, 20:49   #4749
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wow, thats a real deal ! Ebay ? Share some info, probably many could benefit.
Old 30th September 2011, 22:07   #4750

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeash View Post
Hi guys,

I am Dr.Ashwinkumar from chennai. I am nowhere into photography till now.

I have recently got a basic DSLR Canon EOS 1100D with ( EF-S 18-55 iii) Kit and tripod as a compliment, which is motivating me to study photography more ardently. Is this a good enough camera?

Are there any websites from which i can learn the basics of aperture/ shutter /ISO and things?

There is a training program given by canon which i have enrolled and looking forward to go. Are these training program any useful?

Please advice

Sir,
you may look at two other lenses which shall be really useful in the kit

1) Canon 50mm f1.8
-can be used for portraits, street shots, close up shots of flowers etc - -This 50mm lens is all for about 5.5k approx and is known as nifty fifty in the circuit, with clunky plastic body but what it does for the price is remarkable.

2) Canon 55-250mm
- Zoom lens with an outstanding value for money and quality of pictures may seem to beat the price at which you shall buy if off from the market @ 11k approx
- can be used for portraits from a distance & or to click shots of flora/fauna which may warrant you to maintain distance
- commands a lovely smooth bokeh that some of the biggy lenses boast of but at a much affordable price.

Both of these remain highly refommended.

best regards
Old 1st October 2011, 16:13   #4751
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Wow, thats a real deal ! Ebay ? Share some info, probably many could benefit.
I got this price from adexmart.com. Hope they will keep the promise and deliver soon. I will post a review once I get my hand on it. Link below,

http://www.adexmart.com/sony/2614-so...ical-zoom.html
Old 1st October 2011, 19:05   #4752
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post
Please suggest a good handy cam between 15-20K INR. I am open to any brand (read well known brands like Sony/Panasonic/Samsung/JVC).

My friend is getting it from abroad (he is traveling to Singapore-Malaysia-Thailand). Of the three countries, where would it be better to buy?

If the price difference is very less, I will buy it in Bangalore only.

I will be mainly using it for shooting family get together/ puja at home/trips etc. Basically it should shoot everything and nothing in particular. HD video recording a must.
Er.. Guys a little help is very much appreciated. I have to make the payment to my friend in a day or two. help!
Old 1st October 2011, 19:19   #4753
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I got this price from adexmart.com. Hope they will keep the promise and deliver soon. I will post a review once I get my hand on it. Link below,

Sony CyberShot DSC-HX9V 16.2 MP 16x Optical Zoom - adexmart
Thanks, keep us updated. The price is very good compared to others. I wonder how they offer such a good rate. I will keep an eye on this site.
Old 3rd October 2011, 15:51   #4754
Senior - BHPian

I am not much in to photograpy and I have a simple SONY PS camera DSC W80 bought in 2008.

Am looking for an upgrade and not interested in DSLR due to size. Did some online search and found Lumix LX5, heard lot of rave reviews about LX3 in the past. What is the LX5 price in India? is it worth it?
Old 3rd October 2011, 17:26   #4755
Distinguished - BHPian

Iam planning to buy a small/slim point & shoot camera before Diwali (considering) nice offers floating around

My requirements are simple :-

1. Min 5X optical zoom
2. Good Battery Life
3. Best quality pics
4. IS/VR is mandatory

Budget is less than 10K

Anyone knows good model #'s in this price range? I am more keen on a Canon or Panasonic.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks