Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2012, 19:39   #4876
BHPian

Re: The Digital Camera Thread: Questions, discussions, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
I had spoken to one camera geek in Pune before buying my Sony and he was hell bent on Fujifilm HS20 EXR. His point was that Fujifilm produces the best quality images at any range and they are cheaper than any other company.

All the best for your purchase! Keep us posted.
But, I've heard that the Fuji has some issues with image processing and sometimes the camera freezes while processing high res images/videos.

Anyways, am veering more towards the Sony or the Nikon P500.

By the way, can you share some super macro images and panorama if you have taken any with this cam. Also, pls let us know whether it has any long exposure night sky/starry sky type options.
Old 4th March 2012, 15:18   #4877

Any compact digitals with flash support available in movie recording mode for indoor videos? The other features required are

* > 10x optical zoom (both in picture as well as video mode)
* > Manual, aperture and shutter priority modes
* 1080i/720p HD video recording
* preferably from Sony, Canon or Nikon

I have gone through their websites and user manuals of several models but couldn't find any mention about availability of flash during video recording mode in any of the cameras.

-TIA
Old 4th March 2012, 23:37   #4878
BHPian

I am looking for a camera with manual controls which will help me to learn photography. The intention is to buy a DSLR at a later stage. Budget is around 10,000.

I am thinking of buying the Canon Powershot SX150 IS. It is available at Vijay Sales for 9,695. Is this a good option?
Old 6th March 2012, 11:25   #4879
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer4x4 View Post
But, I've heard that the Fuji has some issues with image processing and sometimes the camera freezes while processing high res images/videos.

Anyways, am veering more towards the Sony or the Nikon P500.

By the way, can you share some super macro images and panorama if you have taken any with this cam. Also, pls let us know whether it has any long exposure night sky/starry sky type options.
Hey wanderer4x4

Sorry for the late reply. Here is one Panorama, one Macro and one Moon shot at full 30x zoom. Regarding long exposures, I will get back to you soon.

iSweep Panorama mode:

The Digital Camera Thread: Questions, discussions, etc.-dsc00237.jpg

Auto Macro:

The Digital Camera Thread: Questions, discussions, etc.-dsc00891.jpg

Moon:

The Digital Camera Thread: Questions, discussions, etc.-moon1.jpg
Old 6th March 2012, 21:19   #4880
Senior - BHPian

I dropped my Canon IXUS 220 HS by mistake today. There was some dust on the lens and I tried cleaning it with a moist cloth. The camera lens got stuck and the display gives error "Lens Error, Will shut down automatically, Restart camera.". I see that it is a common error for Canon. Is it a major issue? Where can I get it repaired in Bangalore?
Old 7th March 2012, 12:56   #4881
Senior - BHPian

I have the same problem in an older 870IS. Lens refuses to retract. I got it fixed once in the Canon service centre near Hosur/Richmond Road junction (Google for the address). Pain to take it every time this happens. Any quick self-help solution, folks?
nilanjanray is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2012, 13:32   #4882
BHPian

I currently own a basic sony point and shoot camera. I am planning to upgrade to a bridge camera and I have shortlisted a few, 1) Nikon L120, 2) Panasonic fz-35, 3) Fujifilm s-3300.

My basic requirements are picture clarity, specially in low light and should have less blur while zooming. Out of these three I am more confused between the fujifilm n panasonic models as they both have viewfinders and I really like that feature. Experts in photography please help me find the best camera in my price range. My budget is a max of 15k. Also let me know if any other model which comes in my budget it better than these three.

Thanks in advance
Old 9th March 2012, 14:18   #4883
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravi_23 View Post
I currently own a basic sony point and shoot camera. I am planning to upgrade to a bridge camera and I have shortlisted a few, 1) Nikon L120, 2) Panasonic fz-35, 3) Fujifilm s-3300.

Thanks in advance
Why not Sony again? Any particular reason? If Sony, then I would recommend the Sony DSC-HX9V. Extremely compact, 16x optical zoom, mind-blowing video quality, 3D photo and video shooting, etc.

Out of the 3 you've mentioned, the Nikon L120 failed miserably in my test shoot in the showroom. Especially, at the max telephoto, the picture quality was really average.

Fujifilm cameras produce one of the best quality pictures, however there are unique problems. Overheating and firmware issues.

Panasonic FZ35 has a good review and the picture quality seems to be ver good. Only missing thing is FULL HD video, which if you don't need, then its a good buy.

Why not Canon also? Canon cameras produce the best images at full zoom, better than all in competition. The photos have least blur, noise at full telephoto. Try Canon PowerShot SX150-IS. It costs much less than your specified budget too.

All said and done, there is one site which is considered as bible by most amateur, professional, expert photographers called Digital Photography Review. You should find exhaustive reviews of all cameras in the world with sample photos too.

All the best!

EDIT: Honestly, if you say you need a bridge camera, you need to stretch your budget a bit (<=6-7k) to get a real bridge cam. The competition is red hot at that level and Nikon has recently launched a new bridge cam with 42x optical zoom to blast the competition.

Last edited by ajay_satpute : 9th March 2012 at 14:23.
Old 9th March 2012, 20:29   #4884
Senior - BHPian

^ I agree if you are going with Sony, I have Sony DSC-HX9V and its great.

I also recommend that you please take a look at NEX 3. Its simply awesome NEX5 was on my mind but it wasnt available while wife was in US. She picked HX9V and its serving very well. But now that the prices have come down due to NEX 7 coming in. You must give a decent thought to the other two.

Also Canon S95 is a great shooter too. Almost pro-like images in compact form factor.
Old 9th March 2012, 21:45   #4885
BHPian

@ajay and sniper

Thanks for the reply guys, I am looking for a cam which looks like a dslr. My friend has the nikon L120 and it looks awesome But, as said by ajay, I too agree that its picture quality is not upto the mark. Also it doesn't have the viewfinder. Nikon L120 is almost out of my list.

Having a viewfinder is high on my priority list. So, after comparing the specs I am left with panasonic fz-35 and fujifilm s3300. I am more inclined towards the panasonic. I am not looking for a compact camera and optical zoom should be above 20x. Fz-35 has 18x zoom but the other features are impressive. So please let me know if I am missing other cameras from brands like canon, sony with similar specs and looks.

thanks
Old 10th March 2012, 00:19   #4886
BHPian

I am very happy with my fujifilm finepix S2950
Here's a moon shot, used 110x digital zoom without tripod.
however the camera has 18x optical zoom too which makes it unbeatable at this price range.

Resized image
The Digital Camera Thread: Questions, discussions, etc.-moon1.jpg

Attached a full sized as attachment for those who want to dig the EXIF data.

in All its a very good budget camera, and fits my requirements.
Attached Thumbnails
The Digital Camera Thread: Questions, discussions, etc.-dscf1586.jpg  

Old 11th March 2012, 00:34   #4887
Distinguished - BHPian

Looking out for a new camera - point and shoot, but with a good wide lens (better than 24mm if possible). Any tips?
At the moment, our shortlist consists of the Canon SX40.
We need something with a good lens, not as large as a full blown SLR as we already have one (Nikon). I like the screen of the SX40 which can be swiveled around - a very big plus. Also, it would be great if we could fiddle with the shutter speed etc. manually.
Awaiting your responses!

Thanks!

Last edited by lamborghini : 11th March 2012 at 00:37.
Old 11th March 2012, 10:11   #4888
BHPian

Am in search of a compact camera, have used Canon A540 earlier and very much happy with it, except the battery drain/leakage issues. These issues may have cropped up due to my own doing (left the batteries too long in the camera), but no other complaints as such.

I have a DSLR too and don't want to carry another bulkier compact/bridge camera (Ex: Canon SX150). The compact one will be used for general purpose (family, vacations etc.) and I have narrowed down to Canon A1200. I will miss the Av/Tv/M modes in A540, but I could live with the P mode in A1200 when required.

Any reasons why I shouldn't buy a A1200? Any other reco's in the ~5x optical zoom category (prefer AA cells, budget ~10000 but camera will be handled by kids, ~10mp should be fine, most important - can it produce signaficantly better images compared to A1200?).
Old 11th March 2012, 14:10   #4889
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Looking out for a new camera - point and shoot, but with a good wide lens (better than 24mm if possible). Any tips?
At the moment, our shortlist consists of the Canon SX40.
Thanks!
I can't say I have thoroughly researched every camera available, but I can't think of any P&S cameras that have wider than 24mm at the wide angle end. SX40 is a good bet, also look up the Fujifilm HS20 and Nikon P500.
Ricci is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2012, 17:21   #4890
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Besides these points, Sony's USP is the quality of the video. No other camera in this category can match Sony for the video quality and audio quality. Plus you get an option to shoot 3D movies too.
@ajay: Nice pictures posted earlier. Can you post some 3D stuff from your camera? (pictures and videos)
I am really interested in that.
Does anyone else, besides Sony, offer these features at the moment?

Most Viewed