Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2012, 09:44   #4891
BHPian

Re: The Digital Camera Thread: Questions, discussions, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skumare View Post
Am in search of a compact camera, have used Canon A540 earlier and very much happy with it, except the battery drain/leakage issues. These issues may have cropped up due to my own doing (left the batteries too long in the camera), but no other complaints as such.

I have a DSLR too and don't want to carry another bulkier compact/bridge camera (Ex: Canon SX150). The compact one will be used for general purpose (family, vacations etc.) and I have narrowed down to Canon A1200. I will miss the Av/Tv/M modes in A540, but I could live with the P mode in A1200 when required.

Any reasons why I shouldn't buy a A1200? Any other reco's in the ~5x optical zoom category (prefer AA cells, budget ~10000 but camera will be handled by kids, ~10mp should be fine, most important - can it produce signaficantly better images compared to A1200?).
I would suggest if you can consider the Sony WX series.
I ordered panasonic DMC TZ18 from ebay after reading reviews on dpreview last year.
I took some pictures in normal home day light conditions and pictures were really dark.
I got disappointed and called up ebay seller to replace this camera with sony TX10. luckily he agreed. I am extremely happy with the picture quality and performance of Sony.

after this i really stopped experimenting with other brands and also got 2 Sony HX10V for my brother and sister. they are also extremely happy with the picture quality.

I also got sony CX160 HD camcorder after this and totally satisfied.
Old 14th March 2012, 11:57   #4892
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky View Post
I would suggest if you can consider the Sony WX series...... I am extremely happy with the picture quality and performance of Sony TX10....
Will definitely look at Sony WX series, meanwhile I am considering Pana Lumix DMC-FH5 also, any thoughts for/against will be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 14th March 2012, 12:05   #4893
BHPian

Quote:
Will definitely look at Sony WX series, meanwhile I am considering Pana Lumix DMC-FH5 also, any thoughts for/against will be appreciated. Thanks.
There is nothing against pana lumix series. it depends on usage actually. it's only drawback according to me is indoor pics quality in the absence of sufficient lighting.
With my last experience i again researched that why i went wrong with pana camera selection and i found out that these cameras are top notch for outdoor shootings with excellent zoom and sharp details when you have fantastic lighting.
but for our normal use, we use camera heavily for indoor shooting where you don't have sufficient lighting.
Old 14th March 2012, 12:31   #4894
BHPian

Quote:
Am in search of a compact camera, have used Canon A540 earlier and very much happy with it, except the battery drain/leakage issues. These issues may have cropped up due to my own doing (left the batteries too long in the camera), but no other complaints as such.

I have a DSLR too and don't want to carry another bulkier compact/bridge camera (Ex: Canon SX150). The compact one will be used for general purpose (family, vacations etc.) and I have narrowed down to Canon A1200. I will miss the Av/Tv/M modes in A540, but I could live with the P mode in A1200 when required.

Any reasons why I shouldn't buy a A1200? Any other reco's in the ~5x optical zoom category (prefer AA cells, budget ~10000 but camera will be handled by kids, ~10mp should be fine, most important - can it produce signaficantly better images compared to A1200?).

Do check Nikon L120 14MP + 3.0" LCD + 21x Optical Zoom. Cost is around 13K
Old 14th March 2012, 13:19   #4895
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Hey wanderer4x4

Sorry for the late reply. Here is one Panorama, one Macro and one Moon shot at full 30x zoom. Regarding long exposures, I will get back to you soon.

iSweep Panorama mode:
Name:  untitled11.bmp
Views: 803
Size:  746.5 KB
Hi Ajay, Thanks for the great images.
I think this image has made my decision. True to what Sony has claimed, it seems that their iSweep Panorama really works unlike many competitors in terms of capturing moving objects in the panorama frame. In your image, we can see people moving and yet they have been captured very well and not as ghost images. It speaks lots about the capabilities of the camera. Uh, only wish it could shoot RAW, then it'd be as close to a DSLR as one could be probably. Though, I don't really care about RAW at this moment as am still a novice.

Now, the only thing holding me back is the news of the Nikon P500 upgrade launch.
Old 24th March 2012, 17:47   #4896
Senior - BHPian

I used Sony DSC715 a long lens digital SLR of 2001 or 2002. It is out of repairable condition.Now a days using only the iphone 4s as my camera.Some times I am not satisfied with the out put.Any suggestion on DSLR camera with in 25K Budget. I checked in Singapore and Hong kong but seems Indian prices are cheaper.Please comment and suggest.
Old 24th March 2012, 18:29   #4897
BHPian

25K is a bit less to get a good DSLR, but you can get a Canon EOS1000D or Nikon D3000 ; Sony doesn't make DSLRs anymore, but look out for unsold stocks of A230s and A290s. If your earlier camera was also A-mount, you can save on lenses.

Stretch to around 30k and you can get the Nikon D3100 or Canon EOS 1100D, both are a fair bit better than the above predecessors they replace.
Old 1st April 2012, 12:17   #4898
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
I dropped my Canon IXUS 220 HS by mistake today. There was some dust on the lens and I tried cleaning it with a moist cloth. The camera lens got stuck and the display gives error "Lens Error, Will shut down automatically, Restart camera.". I see that it is a common error for Canon. Is it a major issue? Where can I get it repaired in Bangalore?
I gave the camera to Canon service centre in Brigade Towers, Bangalore. The lens was replaced under warranty. I am very happy with the service, though I am not happy with the product quality. My Olympus digital camera did not give any problem in the last 9 years.
Old 1st April 2012, 13:38   #4899
BHPian

I'm planning to buy a DSLR later but for the time being am looking to buy a compact camera with good zoom and I came across Canon PowerShot SX150 IS which has a 12 X zoom and more importantly the price is below my budget of Rs 10,000. Any opinions on the camera? Is it worth buying? Are there any other alternatives in Rs 10000 budget? Please advice
Old 9th April 2012, 11:27   #4900
BHPian

Guys, I am planning to get myself a new camera. My current cam is a very basic cam kodak m893IS. What I am looking for in the new camera is a combination of clarity and high zoom. Budget is around 25k and can stretch to about 35k but do not intend to. So, the cameras that I have shortlisted are sony HX100V, nikon p510 and panasonic fz 150. Fujifilm hx20exr is not in the list as I have seen reviews mentioning that it has freezing problems.

Now my dilemma is, everywhere in the reviews, the critics mention that clarity of say hx100v, p510 is not as good as the dslrs. What I want to know is that how much is the difference in clarity between the above mentioned cameras and a dslr say canon 550d. I can stretch my budget and get a canon 550d but will not get the desired high zoom, as I wont have money to spend on a high zoom lens.

Following are my queries, replies to each indivisual query will be highy appreciated

1) On a scale of 10, if we rate the clarity of canon 550d as 10. Then how much can we rate the clarity of hx100v and p510.

2) How much zoom does the basic lens have that comes with canon 550d. (EF S18-55 IS II) Lens

3) Canon 1100d is around 9k cheaper than the 550d, how much is the difference of clarity in them?
Old 9th April 2012, 11:57   #4901
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by miles_hungry
What I am looking for in the new camera is a combination of clarity and high zoom. Budget is around 25k and can stretch to about 35k but do not intend to. So, the cameras that I have shortlisted are sony HX100V, nikon p510 and panasonic fz 150.
I recommend NEX C5 if you are up to it, it sorts you out for a good time to come. It has great reviews. Interchangeable lens will keep you happy, can upgrade to mega zoom once moolah is in. Try that, I am sure you will love it. Prices within your budget.
Old 9th April 2012, 11:57   #4902
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by miles_hungry View Post
What I am looking for in the new camera is a combination of clarity and high zoom. Budget is around 25k and can stretch to about 35k but do not intend to.

Following are my queries, replies to each indivisual query will be highy appreciated

1) On a scale of 10, if we rate the clarity of canon 550d as 10. Then how much can we rate the clarity of hx100v and p510.

2) How much zoom does the basic lens have that comes with canon 550d. (EF S18-55 IS II) Lens

3) Canon 1100d is around 9k cheaper than the 550d, how much is the difference of clarity in them?
1. Clarity in DSLR is more a function of the lens you mount on the camera body rather than the sensor itself. High quality lenses are very expensive.

2. The zoom of kit lens will not match the zoom offered by the superzoom bridge cameras. Google for the numbers.

3. Read point 1.

I will suggest you stick to a Superzoom camera. DSLR body+Zoom lens will not be within 35k.
Old 10th April 2012, 11:17   #4903
BHPian

Thanks for the replies, sniper and download2alive. I have decided to go in for a high zoom bridge cam. Yesterday checked out the p500 and hx100v, found both of them to be impressive. Sony seemed better in all the aspects but the only edge that p500 has is the wide angle lens. Since I couldn't check it outside the showroom for difference, p500 n hx100v users please comment on the amount of advantage that the 22.5mm lens of p500 will have over the 27mm lens of sony, also p500 supports HS video recording which I guess the hx100v doesn't have. Btw sony has a better image stabilizer, better battert back up n more manual control.

Help me choose between these two.
Old 10th April 2012, 12:44   #4904
Senior - BHPian

Anything less that 24mm is in the region of wide angle. Good for the landscape. But in group shots there might be a little bit of stretching of faces of people at the corners. Atleast I faced that in LX3. Can be corrected easily by taking a little zoom.

Lens of Sony appears to be brighter starting at 2.8 compared to Nikon 3.5, which is good thing.

Not sure if any of these cameras are giving option of having the RAW images. If you want to get into Post processing later on that might be a factor to take into account.

Also good that Sony finally climbed down its ladder of smugness and is supporting SD/SDHC/SDXC cards.

Lot of flash modes are supported in Sony while I did not find that in Nikon website.

Histograms in Sony. Big plus. Not able to find for Nikon. Better check.

Do check if they have Autofocus lamp. Or do they focus in night by flashing the flash.

If I were you I would go for Sony.

By the way both these cameras are having MOS sensor. I prefer a CCD for higher light sensitivity and less noise. Any particular reason you dropped FZ47 from your list? It has CCD sensor and the biggest trump card up its sleeve is the Leica branded lens it has. Though sadly in FZ47 they dropped RAW. It was there till FZ40.

Last edited by download2live : 10th April 2012 at 13:01.
Old 10th April 2012, 19:05   #4905
BHPian

AFAIK cmos sensors are better than CCD, also fz47 has less zoom. Anyways today evening I placed an order for hx100v at flipkart

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks