Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2012, 16:21   #4921
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Digital Camera Thread: Questions, discussions, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miles_hungry View Post
AFAIK cmos sensors are better than CCD, also fz47 has less zoom. Anyways today evening I placed an order for hx100v at flipkart
Great choice miles_hungry.

I have been using this camera since Feb'12, have clicked around 4.5k snaps till date and it never stops to amuse me. Superb package!

The superior auto mode makes life very easy. But do keep playing around with other modes, A, S, P and M.

I have posted a couple of pics somewhere on this thread. Have a look.
Old 26th June 2012, 19:08   #4922
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBR View Post
Guys,

Any suggestions Waiting for replies from fellow BHpians.
The megapixel count and zoom range of any of these below cameras is more than enough for our indoor/daily usage. Any more functionality is overkill for a budget camera. Latest pricing details can be seen on Nikon/Canon India websites, but actual street price will be little lesser.

For your requirement/usage, get one of these -
Canon powershot A810
Canon powershot A1200

If you want a Nikon get one of these -
Nikon coolpix L23
Nikon coolpix L24

Rock bottom budget -
Canon powershot A800 - This camera is a steal @ ~3500/- but it's discontinued elsewhere in the world. Still sold in India though.

P.S: You can always stretch your budget and go in for a camera with HD video recording etc. etc. But if that feature is not going to be used 90% of the time then there's no point in paying for the features. <My opinion>
Old 27th June 2012, 12:20   #4923
SBR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post

For your requirement/usage, get one of these -
Canon powershot A810
Canon powershot A1200

If you want a Nikon get one of these -
Nikon coolpix L23
Nikon coolpix L24

Rock bottom budget -
Canon powershot A800 - This camera is a steal @ ~3500/- but it's discontinued elsewhere in the world. Still sold in India though.

P.S: You can always stretch your budget and go in for a camera with HD video recording etc. etc. But if that feature is not going to be used 90% of the time then there's no point in paying for the features. <My opinion>
Thanks Mate. My usage will be more for taking pictures and very rarely that I use the video recording feature. My usage is for indoor/daily usage and occasionally on a family holiday. This is helpful.
Old 5th July 2012, 00:02   #4924
BHPian

Hi everyone.

I’m looking out to purchase a new camera. I use a Kodak V803 presently, around 4 years old. Has been serving me well but the performance is deteriorating slowly. And it’s not so good in the dark, though the close up shots are pretty good.

Just a few amateur shots using V803 - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post2415689

I’m interested in photography, a newbie though. I’ve been interested for the past couple of years. So I would like something that would give enough features and quality to experiment to an extent. My budget is around 15k to 20k. I’m looking forward to all your valuable help and advice.
Old 5th July 2012, 17:52   #4925
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakmuzik View Post
Hi everyone.

I’m interested in photography, a newbie though. I’ve been interested for the past couple of years. So I would like something that would give enough features and quality to experiment to an extent. My budget is around 15k to 20k. I’m looking forward to all your valuable help and advice.
One choice, SONY DSC-HX100V(@22,500/-). It fits your budget, almost. Has too many features and settings to play with. I have been using this cam since Feb'12 and have clicked around 4.5k pics already. You can't keep this cam down.

Just to give you an idea, here are some of the photos I have clicked with the HX100V 500px / Ajay Satpute / Photos
Old 5th July 2012, 18:00   #4926
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi everyone.

I’m looking out to purchase a new camera. I use a Kodak V803 presently, around 4 years old. Has been serving me well but the performance is deteriorating slowly. And it’s not so good in the dark, though the close up shots are pretty good.

Just a few amateur shots using V803 - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post2415689

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
One choice, SONY DSC-HX100V(@22,500/-). It fits your budget, almost. Has too many features and settings to play with. I have been using this cam since Feb'12 and have clicked around 4.5k pics already. You can't keep this cam down.

Just to give you an idea, here are some of the photos I have clicked with the HX100V 500px / Ajay Satpute / Photos
HX100V is outdated now,HX200V is around but its overpriced.
a Nikon P510 at approximately 21K in open market beats it hands down.
Old 5th July 2012, 18:06   #4927
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
HX100V is NOT outdated. HX200V was released 2 months back with just 4 new features on top of HX100V. Secondly, I recommended HX100V since it fits his budget.

Nikon P510 costs almost 2k more than HX100V and HX200V costs a whopping 28k INR, hence both are out of his budget.

Besides, Sony beats all rivals in the Digital Compact Camera field. Sony holds 57% market share in India in the Digital Compact Camera segment. Nikon is way better in DSLR, but Sony is the KING in compacts.

Make sure you read the posts carefully before making a comment.

Last edited by ajay_satpute : 5th July 2012 at 18:07.
Old 5th July 2012, 18:10   #4928
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
HX100V is NOT outdated. HX200V was released 2 months back with just 4 new features on top of HX100V. Secondly, I recommended HX100V since it fits his budget.

Nikon P510 costs almost 2k more than HX100V and HX200V costs a whopping 28k INR, hence both are out of his budget.

Besides, Sony beats all rivals in the Digital Compact Camera field. Sony holds 57% market share in India in the Digital Compact Camera segment. Nikon is way better in DSLR, but Sony is the KING in compacts.

I got Nikon P510 for 20.3K with Bill and Warranty last month.
And its not about market share.
I tried a HX100V and a Nikon P500 before taking the plunge
and you may want to check the reviews of both the cams
Old 6th July 2012, 09:44   #4929
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
One choice, SONY DSC-HX100V(@22,500/-)
Quote:
A very good comparison between the super zooms available in the market now - Nikon P510 vs Canon SX40 HS vs Sony HX200V - Comparison Review
Old 6th July 2012, 14:34   #4930
BHPian

Wow, thanks a lot for all your help and replies.
Quote:

Thank you. And your photos are just brilliant!

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
And its not about market share.
I tried a HX100V and a Nikon P500 before taking the plunge
and you may want to check the reviews of both the cams
Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
A very good comparison between the super zooms available in the market now - Nikon P510 vs Canon SX40 HS vs Sony HX200V - Comparison Review
Thanks a ton for all the information and suggestions. After reading your comments and reviews online, I guess all the cameras mentioned are among the best in the segment!!

I checked out the reviews of all the cameras mentioned. HX200v is definitely out of my budget. Canon SX40 HS is said to have the best image quality and the photo results seems to be damn good! It lacks Geo tagging but do not know how important it is. That's the only downside, along with the smaller screen. Nikon P510 has the best in class zoom range but reviews state the SX40 HS has better photo quality than P510 and HX200v and that the Nikon's lens is slow. What say guys? And saw lot of people suggesting the Panasonic FZ150 in this segment too.

Summarising -
Image quality - Canon SX40 HS> Nikon P510> Sony HX100v=200v (Almost the same as Nikon though)

Battery life - Sony HX200v/100v> Canon SX40 HS> Nikon P510(very low)

Zoom - Nikon P510> Canon SX40 HS> Sony HS200v/100v

Its getting so damn confusing!!!!!!!
Old 6th July 2012, 15:19   #4931
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wow, thanks a lot for all your help and replies.

Thank you. And your photos are just brilliant!
Its getting so damn confusing!!!!!!!
Thanks freakmuzik.

Even though the review posted here says Sony is at the bottom position, I dont think so personally and you cannot judge a camera based on just one review. I had checked out Canon before buying Sony and the pic quality, especially the colours were not good at all.

You gotto go to the showrooms and check out the cameras yourself first hand before making a decision. Dont judge any camera by any review. Some say Canon is best, some say Sony is great, etc.

My friend, before buying his cam, had gone to all showrooms with a laptop and a memory card. He used to click various pics with various cameras (macros, long shots, wide angles, 3D photos, etc) and upload those immediately on the laptop and check if they look good. That way he was very convinced and he finally bought the one which he liked the most. Do that if you can.
Old 7th July 2012, 15:19   #4932
BHPian

@freakmusik:

The 3 models that have been considered above are SLR'ish type body and quite large in size, meaning that they will not fit in your typical pocket. Sure, the zoom range is quite astounding, but typically the image quality deteriorates at the longer end. Ask yourself whether you really need that much zoom length?

If you mostly shoot people and sceneries, a 24-120mm zoom range will suffice. In case you need more, a travel zoom of 15x to 20x range. The good part of these cameras is that they are quite compact and most likely to be with you whenever a photo opportunity comes.

I have Nikon DSLRs, but lately I notice that I prefer to carry my Canon G11 more often than not when I travel, because of its convinient size (even though G11 cannot be truly considered as a compact).

If I were you, I would seriously look at the following travel zooms:

Canon SX260 - 20x 25-500mmzoom
Panasonic TZ25 - 16x 24-384mm zoom

Both are highly regarded for image quality in many reviews on the net, are compact enough to slip into your shirt pocket (meaning more likely to be with you all the time), and, in my opinion, will cover more more than 95% of your shooting needs.

If megazoom is your cup of tea, then the Canon SX40 and the Panasonic FZ150 are considered to be top notch as per quite a few reviews.

In any case, do try out the models in person. The ergonomics, size (too big or too small), how comfortable the camera feels in your hand, etc., also play an important part in your decision making process.

@ajay_satpute

Generally, and not just one review, in the P&S camera category, Canons and Panasonics have been cosidered to deliver better Still image quality than the Sony counterparts. However, Sony is supposed to beat all others hollow in the video department.

regards
Old 10th July 2012, 20:24   #4933
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I had checked out Canon before buying Sony and the pic quality, especially the colours were not good at all.
Sony has the best LCD on camera. So the same picture taken on Sony, Canon, Nikon, the picture looks best on Sony.
Quote:
My friend, before buying his cam, had gone to all showrooms with a laptop and a memory card. He used to click various pics with various cameras (macros, long shots, wide angles, 3D photos, etc) and upload those immediately on the laptop and check if they look good.
Checking on a bigger display is a better way. Alternatively, few sites like dpreview post the same scene captured by different cameras, which makes comparison easy.
Old 11th July 2012, 10:59   #4934
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Checking on a bigger display is a better way. Alternatively, few sites like dpreview post the same scene captured by different cameras, which makes comparison easy.
Agreed. www.dpreview.com is one of the best sites related to anything with photography. You can depend on their review almost as blindly as we depend on TBHP Official car reviews.
Old 12th July 2012, 14:54   #4935
Team-BHP Support

Looking to buy a good compact camera and currently eyeing the Canon A4000 IS priced at just over 11K. Which are the other options I should be considering around this 8 - 12K budget?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks