Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2012, 00:18   #5026
Senior - BHPian

Re: Camera experts - please advise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post

I am looking for a camera with a fixed lens, wide angle of at least 35 mm, preferably 28mm, as defined in the old 35mm film SLR days. With low light capability, so the maximum aperture should be at least 1.8, and 1.4 would be nice.
And as small as possible, so, preferably not a DSLR.

Thanks in advance.
FujiFilm X100 (f2.0)
LX7 (f1.4) if available in India. Or else LX5(f1.8). (24mm equiv onwards)
Olympus XZ1 or XZ2(if available in India)
Olympus E-PL1+17mm Pancake lens(f2.8). (35 mm equiv)
Samsung (Google for it)
Sony Rx100 (Verdict yet to be in)
Finally Sony RX1. (Most expensive of the bunch,Verdict yet to be in).

P.S; I have LX3. And it is f2.0 and is razor sharp. Oly E-PL1+17mm is for colors. Lens is not as sharp as Leica one LX3 comes with.

Last edited by Technocrat : 17th October 2012 at 01:11. Reason: Please quote selectively as long quoted post causes inconvenience to our mobile readers, thanks
Old 17th October 2012, 00:37   #5027
BHPian

Hi all, I am in the market for a point and shoot camera. The one which gives the best shots with least interventions. I am no manual mode expert

Was looking at Sony hx10v but the size is a little bulky. I want something that easily fits into the pocket. How are te reviews on wx150. It has 10x zoom and the CMOS sensor.

I have had a Nikon in the past and hated it. So would want to stick with Sony or canon. Canon I have used in the past, but suffered with poor battery.
Old 17th October 2012, 00:54   #5028
BHPian

Re: The Digital Camera Thread: Questions, discussions, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyp View Post
Hi all, I am in the market for a point and shoot camera. The one which gives the best shots with least interventions. I am no manual mode expert
I would say Canon ELPH 110 HS, one of the best compact, pocket friendly camera around. No manual mode, has some 50+ programmed modes.

Last edited by Technocrat : 17th October 2012 at 01:12. Reason: Please quote selectively as long quoted post causes inconvenience to our mobile readers, thanks
Old 17th October 2012, 07:53   #5029
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
LX7 (f1.4) if available in India. Or else LX5(f1.8). (24mm equiv onwards)

Olympus E-PL1+17mm Pancake lens(f2.8). (35 mm equiv)

P.S; I have LX3. And it is f2.0 and is razor sharp. Oly E-PL1+17mm is for colors. Lens is not as sharp as Leica one LX3 comes with.
The LX5 seems to be the one on the Indian website. But it comes with a Leica 24-90mm zoom, f-stops 2.0 to 3.3. Looks capable, but it doesn't have a sensor as large as the mirrorless cameras.

Given that, will it deliver good blow ups of cropped images? Considering that is is just 10 megapixels? Optics look good, the small concern is the small sensor size.
Old 17th October 2012, 10:49   #5030
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The LX5 seems to be the one on the Indian website. But it comes with a Leica 24-90mm zoom, f-stops 2.0 to 3.3. Looks capable, but it doesn't have a sensor as large as the mirrorless cameras.

Given that, will it deliver good blow ups of cropped images? Considering that is is just 10 megapixels? Optics look good, the small concern is the small sensor size.
If small sensor is a concern and money is not a constrain then the best combo I can put forward is OMD-E5+Panasonic 20mm f1.7.
Ask Hellwarth. He seems to playing around with one now.

I was shocked to find that OMD-E5 is almost same size as E-PL1.

As far as LX3 is concerned well it cannot really match the Mirrorless in High ISO performance. But it does beat the other Point and Shoot to dust.

When light is good, it is as good as any other big shot camera. The sharpness is just too much. You can crop your way to glory.
Old 17th October 2012, 16:16   #5031
BHPian

Quote:

Ability to take a dedicated external flash, for better flash pictures than those with the built in flash.

And as small as possible, so, preferably not a DSLR.

Thanks in advance.
I would suggest that you should check out the compact Olympus or Panasonic micro 4/3 models and combine then with the panasonic 20mm/f1.7 pancake.

You will have a killer combo this way.
Old 17th October 2012, 18:04   #5032
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If small sensor is a concern and money is not a constrain then the best combo I can put forward is OMD-E5+Panasonic 20mm f1.7.
OMD is too rich for my blood!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaudhrysan View Post
I would suggest that you should check out the compact Olympus or Panasonic micro 4/3 models and combine then with the panasonic 20mm/f1.7 pancake.

You will have a killer combo this way.
I am debating between the Oly XZ1, the Fuji X10. But the panasonic 20mm lens suggestion sounds interesting. I also need a moderate GN, but bounce capable flash unit. I am not seeing too many Panasonic flashes available in India. So an Olympus 4/3 body, the panasonic lens - will they be compatible? Which is the cheapest Oly body that will be? And what model Olympus flash, that will also be fully functional with it?

Will this significantly outshine the XZ1 or the X10 - both these seem to have fast lenses that I can leave at the wide angle setting. And both have a hotshoe.

Last edited by Sawyer : 17th October 2012 at 18:06.
Old 17th October 2012, 18:13   #5033
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So an Olympus 4/3 body, the panasonic lens - will they be compatible? Which is the cheapest Oly body that will be? And what model Olympus flash, that will also be fully functional with it?

Will this significantly outshine the XZ1 or the X10 - both these seem to have fast lenses that I can leave at the wide angle setting. And both have a hotshoe.
All Pansonic lenses micro four thirds lens work on Oly bodies. And vice versa.
The good thing about Oly is that the stabilization is built in the body. So any lens you mount it automatically stabilized.

Cheapest and best body will be E-PL1. Currently goes at around 20k.

I am not a flash guy. So no info for you there.

BTW Oly built in flash is tilt-able. So you can bounce the flash off the ceiling.

If you buy X10 then make sure you do not get that initial batch which had white orbs issue.
Old 17th October 2012, 18:44   #5034
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
All Pansonic lenses micro four thirds lens work on Oly bodies. And vice versa.
The good thing about Oly is that the stabilization is built in the body. So any lens you mount it automatically stabilized.

Cheapest and best body will be E-PL1. Currently goes at around 20k.

I am not a flash guy. So no info for you there.

BTW Oly built in flash is tilt-able. So you can bounce the flash off the ceiling.

If you buy X10 then make sure you do not get that initial batch which had white orbs issue.
Understood, thanks. I am narrowing to some Olympus combination. What is the approx price for the panasonic 20mm 1.7?
Old 17th October 2012, 20:20   #5035
Senior - BHPian

If I use the Olympus pancake mZuiko 17mm 2.8 instead of the panasonic 1.7, for the loss of the f-stop, and some rupee savings, will there be any advantage to using a lens from the same maker on the E PL1?
Old 17th October 2012, 21:08   #5036
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Understood, thanks. I am narrowing to some Olympus combination. What is the approx price for the panasonic 20mm 1.7?
Rather expensive. I have not seen any sellers in India yet.

Quote:
If I use the Olympus pancake mZuiko 17mm 2.8 instead of the panasonic 1.7, for the loss of the f-stop, and some rupee savings, will there be any advantage to using a lens from the same maker on the E PL1?
Actually that is a rather big loss of f-stop. Better save some money for 20mm f1.7 panny lens. Its a declared classic in the mirrorless world.

I use the 17mm on Oly E-PL1. For me pocketability was a big issue. This was the best combo I could conjure up with my limited budget.

Its not a stellar performer. But does the job well. And I am not unhappy with it.
E-PL1 focuses rather slow with kit lens in low light. But with 17mm its not a issue anymore. If you plan to stick with kit lens and use it in nights then I will suggest you take later revisions like E-PL2 which has later kit lens.
Old 17th October 2012, 21:12   #5037
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyp View Post

Was looking at Sony hx10v but the size is a little bulky. I want something that easily fits into the pocket. How are te reviews on wx150. It has 10x zoom and the CMOS sensor.

I have had a Nikon in the past and hated it. So would want to stick with Sony or canon. Canon I have used in the past, but suffered with poor battery.
Try Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ20 known as ZS20 in North America, its has a 20X optical zoom (35mm camera equivalent 24-480mm), 24mm Ultra wide angle LEICA lens, Has a GPS Geo tagging capabilites.

IMO this is an excellent compact camera which fits in your pocket , the only weakness is the batteries takes a while to charge.
Old 17th October 2012, 21:15   #5038
Senior - BHPian

@Sawyer, I am using LX5 along with Nissin Di 466 FT external flash and am quite happy with the setup and the results.
Old 18th October 2012, 12:07   #5039
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Actually that is a rather big loss of f-stop. Better save some money for 20mm f1.7 panny lens. Its a declared classic in the mirrorless world.

I use the 17mm on Oly E-PL1. For me pocketability was a big issue. This was the best combo I could conjure up with my limited budget.

Its not a stellar performer. But does the job well. And I am not unhappy with it.
E-PL1 focuses rather slow with kit lens in low light. But with 17mm its not a issue anymore. If you plan to stick with kit lens and use it in nights then I will suggest you take later revisions like E-PL2 which has later kit lens.
I am looking at the EPM1 body, that is also around 20k now. The Oly 17mm is around 18k, I am waiting on the panasonic price and availability.

In the meantime, I am being sorely tempted by the Fuji x100...Classic rangefinder with full size sensor, 35mm f2.0 fixed lens...
Old 18th October 2012, 12:18   #5040
BHPian

New to this forum.

I own a Nikon D90 with 18-55/55-200/50 Nikkors (bought Dec 2010) and 70-300 Tamron. Of the lot, 50mm 1.8 prime is the one that I most enjoy shooting with. Had a gala time shooting the entire NY/Manhattan skyline during one of my trips there earlier this year. 5 shots of 3sec exposures each merged to create that single skyline. Shooting tigers at Tadoba Andhari Tiger Reserve was fun as well.

Have a pretty extensive gear complete with Nikon Speedlight SB600, Manfrotto tripod, wireless shutter release, ND filters, etc.

Pretty much just love to click and experiment

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks