Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2013, 00:55   #5191
BANNED

Re: The Digital Camera Thread: Questions, discussions, etc.

Hi Guys, Please suggest a good point and shoot camera within 5K.
1) I just want to get a feel of photography basics - framing, composition etc etc.
2) Just have it around to shoot anything I find interesting.
3) Image stabilization would be great to have. My 2mp cellphone cam blurs images when I press the button.
Honestly, I don't know which features could prove useful a few months from now, once I get comfortable/learn the techniques to click good pictures.
Thanks!

Last edited by sinhead : 22nd May 2013 at 01:02.
Old 22nd May 2013, 12:15   #5192
Senior - BHPian

I checked the price at few stores and the best offer I got was 34K with some freebies.
This 26K is the Sony India Employee price.
Old 8th June 2013, 16:58   #5193
BHPian

Anybody know if this camera Olympus VG-160 can shoot video while being recharged via USB?

The point is I'm trying to setup a cheap dash camera and my previous attempts with my current Canon were very successful. However, the camera doesn't recharge via USB so I was looking for one that could be left connected to the USB charging port while I drive and it records.

Let me know!

EDIT: May I request suggestions for a camera that DOES allow charging via USB while recording, if the camera I mentioned above cannot? I can purchase a camera from the USA when I friend comes back, so your suggestions don't have to be limited to choice in India. Thanks!

Last edited by hellmet : 8th June 2013 at 17:08.
Old 24th June 2013, 12:13   #5194
BHPian

Planning to buy a compact P&S Digital Camera, just came across this model advertised in yesterday's paper

http://www.canon.co.in/personal/prod...anguageCode=EN

Seems , they are selling it now almost 61% discount. Kindly share your suggestions/feedback about this phone. My budget is around only 6-8K as my kid also may handle these cams.

The deal looks tempting, but unsure about it's worthiness.
Old 30th June 2013, 10:53   #5195
Senior - BHPian

Anybody having knowledge of place for where I can get spare parts for compact digital cameras in Mumbai? I have Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ7 and which got a dent/big scratch on the front lens in center which causes focusing issues and the screen is gone kaput due to the lcd housing's connector cable having broken. So I need to get the first (front) lens and the lcd housing.
Old 6th July 2013, 09:57   #5196
Senior - BHPian

I have an old Nikon 35-105mm manual focus lens, with a pull/push type zoom. It supposedly also has a macro mode, enabled by pressing down a small silver knob on a ringlike thingy right above the aperture ring. Does anyone know how the macro mode is switched on/off on this lens?
Old 21st July 2013, 22:47   #5197
Senior - BHPian

I got the lens repaired for Rs. 300/- so the macro mode is now working. Briefly tested the same on the D40. Am now planning to start using it on a couple of occasions to test the same.

The SB400 flash is extremely powerful, belying its small size head. Too bad it can't swivel. Also it eats up batteries like crazy, so be sure to use only very high powered batteries in it.

With the SB 400 and a couple of manual lenses from my FE I have finally figured out how to set the manual settings on D40. Means I won't have to buy any new lenses yet.
Old 25th July 2013, 08:56   #5198
Senior - BHPian

Brilliant feature on DP Review for assessing camera IQ

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilm-x20/11

Perhaps this has been highlighted here, but I discovered it just yesterday and found it to be immensely valuable.

When you go to the link, click the go to full screen mode link.

Once there, you can see the image quality of the camera under test, compared to three other cameras of your choice by using the drop down menu.

Play around there, and you will see how useful this feature is. You can see 100% crops, at different ISO settings, and choose which part of the main picture is to be cropped, and compare the results side by side with three other cameras of your choosing.

In my case, I am looking at adding the x20 to my bag, and I understood from this review feature that the IQ is very poor compared to my d7000 and X100, once past 800 ISO. On the other hand at 100 ISO, IQ is brilliant, comparable to most DSLRs. I might still go ahead with the x20, since with its equally fast lens at the wide end, and 3 stops stabilisation benefit, I could limit the camera to 400ISO, obtaining the same results that the x100 gives me at 3200 ISO, where I need to shoot at in low light, since there is no stabilisation on the x100. On the other hand, the Sony rx100 might be the better buy. Still undecided on which of the two.

Brilliant feature on the review site, and unique to it, as far as I know.
Old 26th July 2013, 06:42   #5199
Senior - BHPian

After some internal debate, I chose the Sony Rx100 over the Fuji x20. While the x20 is a very nice camera in build, design and sheer feel, and would be a matched companion to my x100, the Sony is more pocketable and practical because of its size and retractable lens cover. But since Sony has just launched a mark 2 version of the rx100, I will wait the time it takes for that to be available here.
Old 26th July 2013, 23:44   #5200
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
After some internal debate, I chose the Sony Rx100 over the Fuji x20. While the x20 is a very nice camera in build, design and sheer feel, and would be a matched companion to my x100, the Sony is more pocketable and practical because of its size and retractable lens cover. But since Sony has just launched a mark 2 version of the rx100, I will wait the time it takes for that to be available here.
I am using a Sony Point and Shoot camera since last many years. Last Diwali bought DSC HX 200V. I did extensive research before buying the Camera and my research helped in good decision. Sony P&S cameras are any day better as compared to Kodak or even Canon and Nikkon. Lately, Sony has improved the after sales service at least in metro cities.
Old 5th August 2013, 14:56   #5201
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
Prognosis looks bad !!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajismine View Post
Prognosis does not look bad to me.
Unfortunately the prognosis was bad. I showed the camera to the Canon Service centre here yesterday and they told that the sensor(??) had gone bust. Repairs would amount to 3.5-4k total, and resale value in this condition would be max 1000/-.

Hence no option, but to pack and keep the camera as is! The shopkeeper himself advised against any repairs, he said, take pictures as long as it works; the day it stops working just throw it away.
Old 7th August 2013, 11:23   #5202
Senior - BHPian

Friends,

I am planning to sell my Sony HX200V, which I bought in Feb 2012. I am selling only because I am upgrading to a DSLR, Nikon D5200. There is absolutely no issue with the Sony camera.

The current price of a brand new HX200V is 24k on the Sony's official website. Camera information: http://www.sony.co.in/product/dsc-hx200v

What is the maximum price I can quote for my camera? The camera is in pristine condition with an 8GB Class-10 SDHC card. I was thinking about around 14-15k INR. Please suggest.

Last edited by ajay_satpute : 7th August 2013 at 11:29.
Old 7th August 2013, 11:44   #5203
Senior - BHPian

@Ajay

To be franky and honest, digital cameras depreciate so fast that @15K there are already better spec'd cameras that people may chose.

If you can get this camera sold for 10K i would be surprised not because of low value but because of value based cameras available at similar price points.
Old 16th August 2013, 16:21   #5204
BHPian

In the market for a compact high zoom camera (compact = pockatable).
I had a Sony Cybershot HX7V (10X opt zoom, 16MP resol, Full HD Rec, GPS, 3D Photos, etc) earlier that was a brilliant P&S camera pocketable camera. It did us a great service over last 2 years. Had wonderful, sharp photos, shot Full HD videos, 3D and Panorama. Unfortunately, we lost it during our recent trip! Now having recovered from the grief, I am looking for a capable replacement.
I am looking at good image quality, increased zoom ~ 20X and pretty much same features and .

Did some quick search and found following cameras suit my requirements
  • Sony Cybershot HX20V
  • Sony Cybershot HX20V
  • Panasonic TZ40 (also called as ZS30 in some countries)
  • Canon A280
  • Nikon S9300/ S9500
My research replied mostly on reviews on dpreview / cameralabs and some such sites. Having used a Cybershot earlier, I am pretty comfortable on HX20V / HX50V. I tried Panasonic ones in the shop earlier and though it is slightly more compact than Sony, I didn't get a good grip (with shiny chrome / metal surfaces all round).

My questions are:
  • Have you used any of the above cameras? If yes, what is your feedback?
  • Should I just close my eyes and get a Sony or switch the brand?
Thanks

Last edited by dmplog : 16th August 2013 at 16:24. Reason: Formatting changes
Old 21st August 2013, 14:53   #5205
BHPian

Hi,

My current camera is a Sony DSC-W220. Initially after purchase, i used the camera but later have not used it for many days. Recently, the pics taken with it look washed out, especially the ones taken indoors. Birthday party pics ruined :(

I am looking for a camera which can capture colors well. Dont need high pixel resolution. Point and shoot with image stabilization preferred. Budget strictly below 10k as i will be purchasing a DSLR soon.

Will also be looking at pre-owned cameras as well as this camera will be used for max 6-8 months.

Please suggest.

TIA.

Most Viewed