Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2013, 15:57   #5236
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mirrorless or EVIL Cameras

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindSpeeDs View Post
If you can have someone get it from the US, the canon s110 at $219 and the Olympus EPL-3 at $250 are the best options in that price range. Between these two I would go for the oly. Both are one generation older and hence a drastic price drop. Absolute VFM!

BTW, EPL3 is a micro four thirds.
Are rates cheaper there compared to India? It might be possible for me to do that. Can get it from there.
Old 23rd December 2013, 17:03   #5237
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Are rates cheaper there compared to India? It might be possible for me to do that. Can get it from there.
yes. Canon s110 is about 29k and oly about 25k with kit lens. G15 should be around 350 I suppose.
Old 23rd December 2013, 18:48   #5238
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Posting the query here since couldn't locate a more appropriate thread. My current camera at home is quite outdated now and is probably inferior to the phone cameras we have these days. Have been wanting to upgrade it to a much better and latest generation model. Saw that flipkart is offering some discounts on cameras. What all should I look for while buying one?

My usage is pretty basic and need a handy device. Budget is this side of 20k. Do not need a SLR or anything that big. Would love if it comes with decent video recording facility too. What can I get in my budget? Also the budget is flexible incase there is a much better option available for little more money.
Canons are way overpriced in India

If you are considering Canon S100/110 etc then I would recommend Nikon P330.
Almost the same features, about 10K cheaper.

If you are considering Canon G15, then I would recommend Nikon P7700.
Better features and still about 5-10K cheaper.
Old 23rd December 2013, 19:38   #5239
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Canons are way overpriced in India

If you are considering Canon G15, then I would recommend Nikon P7700.
Better features and still about 5-10K cheaper.
Its funny, I just checked Flipkart and G15 is actually cheaper by 3k!! And it is the better camera as well - f1.8-2.8 lens compared to f2-4 lens of P7700!
Old 24th December 2013, 10:53   #5240
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Its funny, I just checked Flipkart and G15 is actually cheaper by 3k!! And it is the better camera as well - f1.8-2.8 lens compared to f2-4 lens of P7700!*
Looks to be some mistake on flipkart!
Canon G15 for 20K is a steal ... The usual price hover >30K.
That's why I said Canons are overpriced, when same spec ones from Nikon are cheaper.

*What canon gains in lens stops - it loses on the lens zoom (Of course both are in the near vicinity of each other in both aspects). Other features wise Nikon is actually much better (especially with respect to the no of dials - and thus independent direct controls it offers and the free moving backscreen)

Last edited by alpha1 : 24th December 2013 at 10:56.
Old 24th December 2013, 17:22   #5241
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Its funny, I just checked Flipkart and G15 is actually cheaper by 3k!! And it is the better camera as well - f1.8-2.8 lens compared to f2-4 lens of P7700!
So which is a better buy amongst the Canon G15 and the Panasonic Lumix FZ200? I believe the Panasonic model is costlier by almost 10k. But if that means that I am secured for the next few years to come then I do not mind splurging on that.

The Panasonic is priced at 30k whereas the Canon is priced at 19.9k on Flipkart currently. And most reviews seem to suggest the G15 is better.

Last edited by drmohitg : 24th December 2013 at 17:33.
Old 24th December 2013, 18:10   #5242
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So which is a better buy amongst the Canon G15 and the Panasonic Lumix FZ200? I believe the Panasonic model is costlier by almost 10k. But if that means that I am secured for the next few years to come then I do not mind splurging on that.

The Panasonic is priced at 30k whereas the Canon is priced at 19.9k on Flipkart currently. And most reviews seem to suggest the G15 is better.
Actually it depends on your usage.

G15 advantages are bigger sensor (1/1.7 inch compared to 1/2.3 inch of FZ200) and faster lens at wide end f1.8 compared to f2.8 for FZ200. What it means is better photographs (or more oppotunities for photographs) indoors! So if indoor photography is important than G15 (@20k at Flipkart) is prolly the best you can buy in your budget (assuming you want to go for an advanced P&S only).

FZ200 is on the other hand a serious tool for anyone interested more in travel or wildlife (serious in the sense of P&S context). You get a bright f2.8 even at full 600mm. Thats Really really good - it means you can very likely shoot far objects even handheld (and you can hope to get DSLR like effects also at that kind of focal lengths). Usually with long focal lengths (>300mm) you need a stabilizer (e.g a tripod) or a fast lens that can allow faster shutter (which is what this lens gives). f2.8 lens also means you can use lower ISO which helps with cleaner pictures (useful in low light).

I guess you gotta decide for yourself what is the kind of pictures you'll take more and decide camera based on that. Actually thats why I earlier said the Olympus Stylus 1 is the nice compromise. it has the larger 1/1.7 inch sensor and also 10x zoom with a bright lens.
Old 1st January 2014, 22:31   #5243
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Digital Camera Thread: Questions, discussions, etc.

Which is a good compact camera to take baby pictures? Wife says she doesn't want a DSLR for that. (We already have a DSLR)
Old 1st January 2014, 22:51   #5244
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
Which is a good compact camera to take baby pictures? Wife says she doesn't want a DSLR for that. (We already have a DSLR)
You might want to convince her to use your DSLR with a 50mm F/1.8. Makes for a fast, light setup for babies - in any light.
Old 2nd January 2014, 11:46   #5245
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
DSLR is the best for babyhood pix - ticks all of the below:
The fast switch on to click pix time, The extreme fast focus, better low light abilities (thus more natural pix) and the "bokeh-ability".

Besides, it's not like traveling - where bulky DSLR gear can be a negative point.

I think it's time your wife should learn DSLR and realize that it's not as difficult as it looks (because of size)
why are women so averse to gadgetry?

Last edited by alpha1 : 2nd January 2014 at 11:49.
Old 2nd January 2014, 17:06   #5246
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
You might want to convince her to use your DSLR with a 50mm F/1.8. Makes for a fast, light setup for babies - in any light.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
I think it's time your wife should learn DSLR and realize that it's not as difficult as it looks (because of size)
why are women so averse to gadgetry?
Thanks, I will try to do that. I think the Nikon D5000 which I have is great for baby photography as compared to any other compact camera. But in case she doesn't agree (), what's the best choice amongst compact cameras that I have?
Old 2nd January 2014, 17:16   #5247
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
what's the best choice amongst compact cameras that I have?
You'll have to specify a budget but if something like 20k is within your budget then the Canon G15 (available for 20k @Flipkart) is absolutely the camera you want to have for the kind of photography you are interested in. But remember that the Nikon D5k + 50mm f1.8 is still the best and no compact camera can beat that.

Edit: Oops. Flipkart have revised the price. Maybe they realised their mistake!

Last edited by joslicx : 2nd January 2014 at 17:17.
Old 2nd January 2014, 18:21   #5248
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You'll have to specify a budget but if something like 20k is within your budget then the Canon G15 (available for 20k @Flipkart)

Edit: Oops. Flipkart have revised the price. Maybe they realised their mistake!
Of course it had to be a mistake. Canon's G/S series compacts are WAY overpriced. Nikon's P series is much better value for money.

WAG7 - none of the compacts score really well in taking pix quickly. Really.
By the time you are primed and the lens focus hunting has ended, you may have easily missed the moment.

In my opinion, you should spend the least possible. As joslicx rightly puts it - first fix a budget.

Otherwise, if you want compact form factor but no limits on price - Sony RX100 may be a good buy.
Old 2nd January 2014, 19:41   #5249
Senior - BHPian

I think you could try a small m43 body like a panasonic gf3 or Olympus epm1 or epm2. They are not quite as fast a DSLR but should be better than a p&s in both speed and IQ.
Old 2nd January 2014, 19:47   #5250
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You'll have to specify a budget but if something like 20k is within your budget then the Canon G15 (available for 20k @Flipkart) is absolutely the camera you want to have for the kind of photography you are interested in.
My budget is below 10,000/- inr. I was thinking of the Nikon L25/26/27/28. Somehow Sony,Fuji,Panasonic don't seem to excite me. If there are any good cameras from these companies do let me know

(Great to have = Sony RX100 or the Nikon P series or the Canon G series, but it's way beyond my budget). Actually speaking I already have 2 non-working p&s cameras at home > Nikon Coolpix E2100 (2003 model, 2MP, 3x zoom, with a broken battery compartment door. and a 2008 Canon powershot S5 IS with a shot sensor. )

If I can manage to repair the battery compartment door, that 2MP camera is all I need. It still takes some killer macro & portrait shots.

Last edited by W.A.G.7 : 2nd January 2014 at 19:49.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks