Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2014, 20:36   #5251
Senior - BHPian

There is no way a L Nikon p&s can keep up with any kind of action. I had one and trust me its pathetic, takes ages the lock on to something and there is horrible shutter lag. Unfortunately there is no free lunch and I doubt any thing in your price range can do what you are expecting it to do.
Old 3rd January 2014, 00:49   #5252
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
My budget is below 10,000/- inr. I was thinking of the Nikon L25/26/27/28. Somehow Sony,Fuji,Panasonic don't seem to excite me. If there are any good cameras from these companies do let me know (Great to have = Sony RX100 or the Nikon P series or the Canon G series, but it's way beyond my budget). Actually speaking I already have 2 non-working p&s cameras at home > Nikon Coolpix E2100 (2003 model, 2MP, 3x zoom, with a broken battery compartment door. and a 2008 Canon powershot S5 IS with a shot sensor. ) If I can manage to repair the battery compartment door, that 2MP camera is all I need. It still takes some killer macro & portrait shots.
I recently bought Canon PowerShot SX170

http://www.canon.co.in/personal/prod...anguageCode=EN

It comes at around 12k, I wanted a pocketable camera with something more than the small point & shoot, and could be handled by age group of 6 to 60, and this I think fit the bill

It has a manual option as well, and I have seen some SLR like quality images coming out of it, though did not have nought time to do a deep review, maybe someone else here who has the experience of it should share his experience
Old 3rd January 2014, 09:44   #5253
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Digital Camera Thread: Questions, discussions, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
My budget is below 10,000/- inr. I was thinking of the Nikon L25/26/27/28. Somehow Sony,Fuji,Panasonic don't seem to excite me. If there are any good cameras from these companies do let me know

(Great to have = Sony RX100 or the Nikon P series or the Canon G series, but it's way beyond my budget). Actually speaking I already have 2 non-working p&s cameras at home > Nikon Coolpix E2100 (2003 model, 2MP, 3x zoom, with a broken battery compartment door. and a 2008 Canon powershot S5 IS with a shot sensor. )

If I can manage to repair the battery compartment door, that 2MP camera is all I need. It still takes some killer macro & portrait shots.
I am sorry but 10k will not fetch you anything for your purpose. You would simply be wasting your money. Its better to buy a 50mm f1.8 prime or a 35mm f1.8 prime for your DSLR for that money (if you do not have these lenses already). That Nikkor 35mm would be so sweet indoors.

If still you want a compact camera you would do well to increase your budget to 20-25k. Then you can have some options with a faster lens around f1.8. You can look at Canon S200 or Olympus XZ-10 etc. Actually for 20k you can also consider the Olympus EPL3. That has super fast auto-focus and should give you the pictures you are looking for!

Last edited by joslicx : 3rd January 2014 at 09:56.
Old 3rd January 2014, 18:04   #5254
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
I am sorry but 10k will not fetch you anything for your purpose. You would simply be wasting your money.
yeah, I know it in my heart! I would be better off putting that money in the Nikon SB400 (optional) & a 35mm/50mm 1.8G lens! Now if only I could convince my wife on this ...
Old 17th February 2014, 12:32   #5255
BHPian

I have a Sony DSC-S700 point and shoot that has developed a problem with auto-focus. I can't hear the lens focusing at all, and all I get are hazy/blurry pictures.

My friend says it could be an issue with the motor. If it's a lubing issue, can I do it myself? I have all the precision screwdrivers and tools with me.

Else, your pointers to a reputed camera repair shop (Hyderabad) would also be much appreciated.
Old 17th February 2014, 12:47   #5256
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post

Else, your pointers to a reputed camera repair shop (Hyderabad) would also be much appreciated.
Try V G Chilmagi @ RP Road . Folks in business from a very long time. They do sales and service too i believe.
Old 17th February 2014, 22:46   #5257
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheonix View Post
Try V G Chilmagi @ RP Road . Folks in business from a very long time. They do sales and service too i believe.
Thanks Pheonix. I called them up and was told they have a branch in Jubilee Hills. Left the camera with them. They have a visiting camera repairman so it'll take a while before it's looked into. Here's hoping it is a minor issue such as lubrication or similar.
Old 22nd February 2014, 20:25   #5258
BHPian

Re: Datestamp of old digital images?

The pictures from my first digital camera 'Minolta DImage' go back more than 10+ years. Now, I need to retrieve the date-stamp information of these old digital images. The 'Date Picture Taken' option does NOT help for these images. Is there any other tool/trick/method i can use to retrieve the date-stamp info?

Old 3rd March 2014, 19:08   #5259
BHPian

Re: Datestamp of old digital images?

VG Chimalgi didn't work out. Firstly, they are very slow and don't update you on the status, and secondly, it seems they'll charge Rs.2400 for AF motor repair. Frankly, that's much to pay for a 6 year old camera.

Any other pointers? How about Koti, do we have a lane for cameras too?
Old 7th March 2014, 08:59   #5260
BHPian

i have a camelion charger with 2200 mah AA batteries , will i be able to use the same charger to charge 2700 Mah AA batteries .
Old 21st March 2014, 18:22   #5261
Senior - BHPian

Based on the discussion in the previous few posts, I have got a Sony W810 camera for my wife on her birthday. It cost me 7000/- INR, with a pouch and a 4GB card as freebies. Overall I am very happy with the camera, takes good photos.

Except the first photo in this post here : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post3391557, rest all are taken with the W810.

Thanks for everyone who helped. Though the existing SLR would have been nicer, I think this one is more handy for day to day photography! Let's see how well it goes with the baby photography part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm_arjuna View Post
i have a camelion charger with 2200 mah AA batteries , will i be able to use the same charger to charge 2700 Mah AA batteries .
I think that should work. Not an issue. Charger should not be an issue.
Old 31st March 2014, 13:29   #5262
Distinguished - BHPian

looking to pick up a point and shoot camera for my parents in the 6-7K range. Will be used for mostly daytime pics during various functions/occasions and some landscape shots. After reading through the last 20 odd pages on this thread, realized that a Panasonic Lumix with Leica will be a real good option. Found This deal on Flipkart and it seems too good to be true. Can anyone provide feedback on this camera?
Old 27th April 2014, 02:40   #5263

Samsung TL205 with double viewfinders, Nikon D70.
Old 5th May 2014, 10:37   #5264
BHPian

Hey All,

Good Morning!
For some time -we were looking at a decent "quick-draw" digital camera focused on video making- mostly for youtube/vlogging.
It has to be a digital camera (and not a camcorder) as - it could be used by us as a travel camera.

Here is summary of what we want the camera to do:

1. Take good 1080 videos (with "decent" sound reproduction).
Need : Flip out screen.
Good to have : External mic jack/slot.

2. Be a good travel camera
Need : Good zoom/clarity/portable solution will be most awesome! (though least likely) / Decent battery life (>250shots or so)
Good to have : Compact (?)

3. Be easy to use (auto modes):
Need : Good auto modes A/S/P modes, with good Manual control feature.

---
Budget: Roughly 23K~25K(max limit)
---
Currently looking at:
Canon SX50:
Superb zoom + good reviews.
50X massive zoom - shoot the moon! (literally people have taken moon shots- check youtube).

Nikon-Coolpix-P520-18-1MP-Digital:
More MPs
Has built in GPS
Slight wider aperture.

---

I do have a D5100 & primarily learning to shoot candids/portraits/low light/street photography (kit lens + 35mm 1.8).
So - I need a good zoom/optical stability to be able to shoot while traveling OR on a short trips OR just on occasions- when I don't really want to carry the SLR gear.

what suddenly as a catalyst is :
We are planning a trip to Ranthambore
And- a zoom lens does not make sense (since I wouldn't use it with my interests of shooting with DSLR).

Help appreciated,

Ace.

Last edited by driverace : 5th May 2014 at 10:39.
Old 13th May 2014, 15:19   #5265
Distinguished - BHPian

Looking for a secondary cam in addition to my DSLR. Will be used mostly for travel pics. Good zoom range + RAW capability is what I need. Panny FZ200 is kinda out of budget, so looking at other alternatives in sub 20k range.

Any reviews of the Canon SX50?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks