Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2017, 13:31   #5431
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Digital Camera Thread: Questions, discussions, etc.

It's probably the churn I'm seeing. They certainly look different.

Maybe I should search the deep recesses of cupboards until I find my old OM2 and buy film again! Hmmm... probably been eaten by ants.

I have almost entirely given up the hifi thing. Partly because my audiogram shows that I almost certainly can't "hear the difference" whether it is there or not. I gave up participation in a one-time favourite forum when it ceased to even allow proper dissent (otherwise known as scorn ) in response to the epic quantities of nonsense. Plenty of churn: plenty of cash spent on pure fantasy!
Old 9th May 2017, 14:57   #5432
Senior - BHPian

I still use my Sonos audio systems extensively after having spent over a decade in audiophilia madness. So home audio remains of great interest, but on new music and not navel gazing. I joined and left one Indian forum on the subject in the same month when I found that everyone there, including the moderators, preferred to stay drunk on the Kool-Aid. Anyone that called out the emperor for not wearing any clothes was not welcome.

There is a lot of similar behaviour in cameras, but at least things like ease of use and ergonomics are justified because one uses a camera actively to take a picture - unlike passive listening to music from audio kit. On the other hand, unlike home audio, equipment capability and feature set is tapped very sparingly by most amateurs to take many many lousy photographs; by people who can now be quite adequately served by smart phone cameras which can now take very good pictures in the right hands. In the wrong hands, it doesn't matter what kind of equipment is in use, so again, a phone serves just as well now.

Last edited by Sawyer : 9th May 2017 at 15:04.
Old 10th May 2017, 01:19   #5433
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
I still use my Sonos audio systems extensively after having spent over a decade in audiophilia madness. So home audio remains of great interest, but on new music and not navel gazing. I joined and left one Indian forum on the subject in the same month when I found that everyone there, including the moderators, preferred to stay drunk on the Kool-Aid. Anyone that called out the emperor for not wearing any clothes was not welcome.
I remember you now!

I don't know if I should have remembered your user name?

Quote:
There is a lot of similar behaviour in cameras, but at least things like ease of use and ergonomics are justified because one uses a camera actively to take a picture - unlike passive listening to music from audio kit. On the other hand, unlike home audio, equipment capability and feature set is tapped very sparingly by most amateurs to take many many lousy photographs; by people who can now be quite adequately served by smart phone cameras which can now take very good pictures in the right hands. In the wrong hands, it doesn't matter what kind of equipment is in use, so again, a phone serves just as well now.
My phone does not serve just as well. My little Lumix TZ-10 is cute, easily chucked in the bag, and quite a lot better than the phone, but even my shaky hands are capable of taking clearer, better photos (or they were once: I hope they still are).

I can really see the advantage of the good old basic photographic parameters being readily available and easily settable. I'm looking at the Sony a6000 as being affordable (whatever better things its newer siblings may offer... for more money) and being a moderately real camera in the digital age. A lens or two, I might come to own, but I am never going to be a DSLRer, partly because the thing would live on the shelf. The Sony a6K range is about the biggest that is likely to be in my bag every day.

I don't expect any camera to turn me into a photographer. My friend took her first published pic on a plastic-box film camera with no settings at all: it is her instincts and art that makes the photographer, not the machine. But I can have some fun and see what I can do.
Old 10th May 2017, 03:58   #5434
Senior - BHPian

Yes, I had the same user name.

Using a camera phone takes a little of getting used to doing so, but they are getting better at the rate of knots all the time now so it also depends on how old yours is. I don't see much point these days in a digital point and shoot that is just a camera unless you can find one that can be used without wading through menus for every parameter change. I remember being shocked while buying my first DSLR in 2012 by the missing aperture and shutter speed dials; it took me some time to get used to the new way of doing things, but I still chose a DSLR that does not need the menu to be invoked for most shooting situations.
Old 10th May 2017, 06:15   #5435
Senior - BHPian

For examples of the best of what a phone cam can do, see:
http://www.ippawards.com/2015-photog...s-of-the-year/
Old 10th May 2017, 16:45   #5436
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, I had the same user name.
Sorry that I forgot!

Quote:
Using a camera phone takes a little of getting used to doing so, but they are getting better at the rate of knots all the time now so it also depends on how old yours is. I don't see much point these days in a digital point and shoot that is just a camera unless you can find one that can be used without wading through menus for every parameter change. I remember being shocked while buying my first DSLR in 2012 by the missing aperture and shutter speed dials; it took me some time to get used to the new way of doing things, but I still chose a DSLR that does not need the menu to be invoked for most shooting situations.
What shocks me more than anything is the sheer number of settings and parameters, and that is even before getting into the manufacturer's idea of trying-to-help "scenes" which I have just-about never used and the auto, clever-auto, brilliant-auto and genius-auto settings, some of which I have.
Quote:
For examples of the best of what a phone cam can do, see:
http://www.ippawards.com/2015-photog...s-of-the-year/
iPhone. I am always amazed at the photographs an iPhone can take. I've got a visitor from abroad whatsapping me her daily takes at the moment. Granted, I have only viewed them on my phone, but the quality is way ahead of anything my X-Play could do.

But, for various reasons (lets total them all up under "personal choice," ) I am not buying Apple, so this route to good-even-brilliant snaps is not available to me.

Sony a6000 kit from JJ Mehta.

Thanks for reminding me of JJmehta. Seems a good idea to support a "real" camera dealer and Amazon gets my money regularly anyway.
Old 10th May 2017, 17:06   #5437
Senior - BHPian

I am pretty sure that any good 2017 model smartphone camera can do everything that the 2015 iPhone can; Apple just markets all its collateral well. I am sure there must be Android camera galleries that are equally good, on the net.
Old 10th May 2017, 17:25   #5438
Distinguished - BHPian

Don't know, Sawyer, and I paid as much as I am prepared to pay for a phone, even if camera is a big part of its use.

Outside of the Apple garden, there were the Nokia Lumia high-ends and [still are] the Sony top models. Even a model or two up in my Moto/Lenovo ranges is said to bring a big improvement. My 4mi took better photos, but was just an inch below the Chennai-flood water level .

Now phones are even getting image stabilisation. Which, by the way, the a6000 body does not have, so those with shaky hands have to buy OSS lenses. Which the kit lenses are.
Old 10th May 2017, 19:53   #5439
Senior - BHPian

The thing is all of us are barely scratching the surface of the capability of the various gadgets we have these days. A colossal waste of global proportions.
Old 23rd May 2017, 21:09   #5440
PPS
Senior - BHPian

I'm travelling to Singapore later this week, was wondering if digital camera's would be cheaper there than compared to here?

I'm looking for a compact point & shoot camera with a decent zoom. I'm out of touch with the latest launches but I've always liked Panasonic Lumix camera's. They are a bit difficult to find at any of the shops like Croma,etc. Had owned 1 Lumix in the past which had very good image quality.
Old 23rd May 2017, 22:41   #5441
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
I'm travelling to Singapore later this week, was wondering if digital camera's would be cheaper there than compared to here?

I'm looking for a compact point & shoot camera with a decent zoom. I'm out of touch with the latest launches but I've always liked Panasonic Lumix camera's. They are a bit difficult to find at any of the shops like Croma,etc. Had owned 1 Lumix in the past which had very good image quality.

More expensive there.Better off buying here.
Old 23rd May 2017, 23:34   #5442
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaeJay View Post
More expensive there.Better off buying here.

Maybe, I dont know at present. A few years ago it was definitely cheaper. Also, you will be absolutely spoiled for choice in Singapore. All the latest and the greatest and then a whole lot more.

If you have a specific make/model in mind I suggest you do a bit of online research to prices and availibity.

I bought my Olympus OMDE5 mk2 and 40-150 pro zoom in singapore about 3 years ago.
Good luck
Jeroen
Old 24th May 2017, 00:33   #5443
Distinguished - BHPian

In deciding whether to buy at home or in Singapore, first think about the warranty.

After that, consider the prices including getting back much of the GST at the airport as you leave.
Old 24th May 2017, 10:07   #5444
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
In deciding whether to buy at home or in Singapore, first think about the warranty.
True, most shops in Singapore do not offer an international warranty. But I decided to just buy mine anyway. My cameras lead a pretty hard life being dragged all over the world. I only once experienced a problem. That was on my original OMD E5. Decided to break down whilst I was in Singapore. It was about three years old. Repairing in Singapore would take some time and would be several hundreds of dollars. So I decided to buy the latest model on the spot.

Some companies appear to be offering something for India, whilst buying in Singapore, see http://www.canon.com.sg/personal/web...anguageCode=EN

If warranty is a big thing for you better check it out. Also try and get a feel about warranty turn around times in India. If it takes two months to get a camera fixed under warranty you have to doubt as to how much use/value it really has.

I don’t worry about it too much.

Happy clicking.

Jeroen
Old 24th May 2017, 11:33   #5445
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Also, you will be absolutely spoiled for choice in Singapore. All the latest and the greatest and then a whole lot more.
Yes, certainly a lot more variety in Singapore. Last i checked here in Croma & some other stores & verifying it online, most of camera's were not the latest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
After that, consider the prices including getting back much of the GST at the airport as you leave.
Any idea if digital camera's will get more expensive here in July once GST kicks in?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks