Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2007, 12:49   #991
Senior - BHPian

S5 or D40?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
My primary needs are higher optical zoom, higher shutter speed and ISO etc and a manual mode to play around with. Dont suggest high end DSLR's like D40 or EOS series as I dont know how to even handle one. Any specific comments on Sony H7 or H9 or even Kodak?
Hi Ajo,

Do not rule out D40 (or a similar Canon model). Even these cameras have an auto mode (auto focus, auto shutter/aperture values, auto white balance etc.) if you want P&S simplicity. At the same time, you have a lot of manual options once you grow out of the P&S simplicity mode (some of these manual controls are also available in S3/S5 or other similar cameras). But the biggest benefit of going for a DSLR is that you get a bigger and better CCD/CMOS sensor - means a better picture. Generally they are also faster in all aspects compared to a P&S. Also the price difference between a S5 (with warranty) and a D40 (without warranty but with kit lens) is nearly the same. In fact the D40 would be cheaper at 22k compared to 25k of S5.

But P&S cameras are more compact and easy to carry around. And a person with good photographic sense could easily take a better picture with a P&S, than another person with little photographic knowledge armed with a sophiscated DSLR.

What would I buy - a D40 or a D80 (body only)
Disclaimer: I do not own any digital camera. I have used S3/S5 and D40/D80. I own F80 (film camera) along with a couple of Nikor lenses. So I am also planning to switch over to digital - the question is when

Also check out this link - Should you buy a DSLR or a Compact?

-Biju
Old 28th September 2007, 12:56   #992
BHPian

Recently I got one Sony Cybershot DSC - S700 Camera from my Brother in Law.

Can you please update the same with other camera's with same specifications.
Old 28th September 2007, 13:01   #993
BHPian

mail4ajo,

I would suggest you to buy a DSLR too than a P & S/Prosumer. The point is, why invest on a prosumer when you can invest a lil more and get yourself a DSLR. Even I bought a P & S (except for the sensor size,zoom and Av/Tv modes there is not much of a difference between P&S and prosumer) and now I want to switch over to a DSLR, coz of the features it has to offer. So, borrow a friend's P&S for a month, learn about the manual mode and buy a DSLR. Will help you no matter what.
Old 28th September 2007, 14:47   #994
BHPian

Dont rule out Prosumers.

It all depends on the budget. An 18-200mm VR lens with D40 will surely go more than $1000 in US itself. An SLR can bring out better images than a prosumer under normal operations. Having said that, some of the pictures taken on prosumer cameras like Canon S3 the G7 or even the fujifilms can easily beat rookie SLR shots. Having a compact cam has its own advantages. I have moved from Canon S1 to pentax SLR. Image quality is no comparison, but check out the utility value. For around 15K one gets a 12x (as in case of S3 onwards) optical zoom with good video mode in a compact package.
Moreover choosing lenses for a DSLR is a nightmare. There are so many options and the all-in-one zooms are not upto the mark in comparison with shorter zooms and primes available. One or two years with a prosumer and one can find out what they use the most and decide the DSLR combo appropriately

I suggest you look for Canon G9 or S5 and then move to DSLR. If budget is not a concern a Canon 400D with a tamron 18-250mm (dont think Nikon D40(x) autofocus' this lens) shall satisfy your needs completely. Ofcourse pentax and olympus will give you the same with Image stabilization.

Last edited by kvish : 28th September 2007 at 14:49.
Old 28th September 2007, 15:00   #995
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post

My primary needs are higher optical zoom, higher shutter speed and ISO etc and a manual mode to play around with. Dont suggest high end DSLR's like D40 or EOS series as I dont know how to even handle one. Any specific comments on Sony H7 or H9 or even Kodak?
If you are on a budget i suggest you go for H7 or H9 or even the S5 IS..for H9 you get 15x optical zoom,shutter speeds upto 1/4000s and ISO 3200 and 3"inch tiltable screen. If you go for a SLR , for optical zoom you'll need to buy telephoto lenses,which will cost you atleast 18k(grey)
Old 28th September 2007, 17:59   #996
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvish View Post
If budget is not a concern a Canon 400D with a tamron 18-250mm (dont think Nikon D40(x) autofocus' this lens) shall satisfy your needs completely. Ofcourse pentax and olympus will give you the same with Image stabilization.
Why isnt tamron compatible with ND40x? Any specific reason? If not, you always have sigma
Old 28th September 2007, 18:19   #997
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Why isnt tamron compatible with ND40x? Any specific reason? If not, you always have sigma
Both the D40 and D40x depend on what are called CPU lenses. Basically the new age lenses which have the auto focus motor built into the lens itself. The traditional practice is to build the motor into the camera body. Thus the Tamron lens which depends on the motor inside the body to turn it and focus it will not function in the auto mode as the motor is not there in either the D40 or the D40x. You will have to manually focus this lens with these two cams.
Old 28th September 2007, 18:43   #998
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
Both the D40 and D40x depend on what are called CPU lenses. Basically the new age lenses which have the auto focus motor built into the lens itself. The traditional practice is to build the motor into the camera body. Thus the Tamron lens which depends on the motor inside the body to turn it and focus it will not function in the auto mode as the motor is not there in either the D40 or the D40x. You will have to manually focus this lens with these two cams.
Great, then i reckon the choice would be to settle for nikkor lens or sigma whichever that as autofocus with D40x as i have kind of decided to buy this model soon. But, it aint a worry as adding on lens will only come later next year only when i exhaust the use of kit lens first
Old 28th September 2007, 18:49   #999
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavy_foot View Post
Why does not any company make a DSLR which can also take videos? is it due to a technical limitation ?
Hmmm... now that you agree that the P880 is not a DSLR coming to your next question, why do the DSLRs do not provide video photography feature?

Actually, the very simple and foremost reason you will get if you ask any DSLR user worth his salt is that 'Huh?! Video in my DSLR? ' including that reaction... They are mostly serious photographers who take pleasure in composing their photographs and shooting them. They could not care less about such gimmicks (that is what it is to most of them). Whereas the video in P&S is basically that VFM streak we see in everything 'consumer'. Cram in the max possible in the smallest of things. Does not matter how good the quality is or how useful it is (most P&S allow you a few seconds, say 15 or 30 secs, of snippets before they run out of breathe).

However there is also a technical angle to it. If you look at how any SLR camera works and read Samurai's clarification earlier on what makes a cam an SLR, you will realize that an SLR views through its primary lens. That is the viewfinder of the SLR camera shows you exactly what the lens is seeing at that moment. It does so using a mirror which reflects it using a pentaprism/pentamirror at the top to the viewfinder. Now when you actually shoot the pic the mirror goes up and blocks the view of the viewfinder (thats why it goes dark for an instant) and the shutter opens to expose the censor/film (depending on whether it is a DSLR/SLR) to the light at that moment.

Now if you understood that you will realize that video can not be taken as that needs the censor to be continuously exposed to the light as long as you are shooting. It is possible in P&S cams because there the mechanism is different. The sensor is always exposed to the light and it is just powered up or down to expose the censor and take the pic and then again go back to the compose mode.
Old 28th September 2007, 19:03   #1000
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Great, then i reckon the choice would be to settle for nikkor lens or sigma whichever that as autofocus with D40x as i have kind of decided to buy this model soon. But, it aint a worry as adding on lens will only come later next year only when i exhaust the use of kit lens first
Oye Avi... If you ask me I would say 'Do not go for D40x' mate. If you wish to go for D40x I would say you should rather put in another 15k more and buy the D80. D40x at its price is not worth the deal. That 10mp v/s 6mp thing is absolute hogwash.

A much better bet is the D40. Good starter's camera, a decent kit lens, lip-smacking price... you can not ask for more. Its the best startup SLR which can be nicely rolled up with additional Nikkor CPU lenses. Tomorrow if you so wish you can buy the Nikkor 55-200mm VR lens... it does not cost much and along with the kit lens gives you a fundu range as well.
Old 28th September 2007, 20:05   #1001
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you wish to go for D40x I would say you should rather put in another 15k more and buy the D80.
That's true. It is better to buy the D40 or the D80. The D40x is not a VFM proposition. Also I would suggest that you get the 18-70mm (f/3.5-4.5) lens along with the D40 if possible instead of the 18-55mm (f/3.5-5.6) lens. And then buy the 55-200mm/70-300mm VR lens later on. Another good option would be to get the 18-135mm lens as the kit lens, which would give you a better range. See the pictures that Sam has taken during his trip to Europe - all taken on D40. I am not sure what lens he has used. You could check with him.
Old 28th September 2007, 20:15   #1002
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Oye Avi... If you ask me I would say 'Do not go for D40x' mate. If you wish to go for D40x I would say you should rather put in another 15k more and buy the D80. D40x at its price is not worth the deal. That 10mp v/s 6mp thing is absolute hogwash.

A much better bet is the D40. Good starter's camera, a decent kit lens, lip-smacking price... you can not ask for more. Its the best startup SLR which can be nicely rolled up with additional Nikkor CPU lenses. Tomorrow if you so wish you can buy the Nikkor 55-200mm VR lens... it does not cost much and along with the kit lens gives you a fundu range as well.
Well Deb, the difference in price isnt much. D40X for 26K and D40 for about 22K, therefore thought will settle for higher pixel one. Now please dont go about changing my mind and up the price to D80, I will go bankrupt buddy .

Also, since this would be a investment wanted to go for a higher pixel range and 0.5 increment in Fast shooting mode which i know are about the only difference between these two models. Reason for deciding on ND40x and not Canon 400D is i already have a couple of canon powershot P&S and wanted to graduate and heard that nikkor kit lens are better than Canon 400D. Btw, what is the price for Nikkor 55-200mm VR? Any ideas who should i go to if i buy in Hyderabad?
Old 28th September 2007, 20:42   #1003
Senior - BHPian

You can get some idea about prices from http://www.fotocentreindia.com/ or jjmehta .com , India 's Premier Photography Website - Digital Camera , Digital SLR Camera , Video Camera , Apple iPod , mobiblu* Online.

According to Digital Camera Reviews and News: Digital Photography Review: Forums, Glossary, FAQ, the major differences between D40 and D40x are:
  • 10 megapixel sensor
  • Lower base sensitivity (ISO 100 vs ISO 200)
  • Auto ISO option includes ISO 200
  • Faster continuous shooting (3 fps vs. 2.5 fps)*
* Slower with noise reduction enabled
Old 28th September 2007, 20:53   #1004
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Reason for deciding on ND40x and not Canon 400D is i already have a couple of canon powershot P&S and wanted to graduate and heard that nikkor kit lens are better than Canon 400D. Btw, what is the price for Nikkor 55-200mm VR? Any ideas who should i go to if i buy in Hyderabad?
Actually Olympus E-510 comes with much more superior kit lenses than both Canon/Nikon models. You can get it for around 28K I think. Unless you are bent on Canon/Nikon, you can look at E-510 and get IS, Liveview and dust-proof features.
Old 29th September 2007, 16:37   #1005
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Actually Olympus E-510 comes with much more superior kit lenses than both Canon/Nikon models. You can get it for around 28K I think. Unless you are bent on Canon/Nikon, you can look at E-510 and get IS, Liveview and dust-proof features.
Thanks Samurai, I have decided between Nikon and Canon. Including the models ND40X and Canon 400D. From Grey, i got the price of 26.5K for ND40X and 29K for Canon 400D. What is exactly Grey? Is it just they get it in india without paying taxes? Is the product original in all cases? Hope there is no refurbishing, change of inferior lens etc involved.

If yes, then i can live with the no warranty option and go for it.

Another big problem is we dont have an authorized Nikon service center here in Hyderabad which is kind of making me tilt a bit more towards 400D

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks