Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2007, 23:04   #1006
BHPian

The Main difference between the D40X and D40 is that the D40X uses the same image processing engine as the D80 and D200. So the the D40X can provide larger image with greater detail. The larger file will allow cropping without much image deterioration as from D40. So its worth the extra buck you pay for D40X.

Gray products are by all means as genuine as the product sold by authorized stores with bill and warranty, there is no need to be worried. Just take care that you buy the stuff from a reliable and well known camera shop in Hyderabad.

More on grey market Grey market - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

cheers
Hellcat
Old 30th September 2007, 00:32   #1007
Team-BHP Support

Avi, whom in Hyderabad are you picking up the Nikon from? Do let me know. By the way, if the shop is a big name in cameras I do not think you should be worried about refurbished pieces being sold as new. Just ensure that it is a sealed box pack.

Also, if the choice is between the Nikon and the Canon I would veer towards the Nikon as the kit lens in Nikon is superior to the Canon one. Even the build quality is somewhat better than the Canon IMHO. However if the guy actually sells Olympus, maybe you should also get a quote for the Evolt E-510 as Samurai suggested. That one is also a worthy camera because of the features packed into it. And for a DSLR its pretty light weight as well.
Old 30th September 2007, 04:33   #1008

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

hi guys,a friend of mine wants to buy a decent digital camera.its going to be her first digital camera so her budget is rs.16000.i presume only entry level cameras would fit into her budget,am i right??which brands and models should i recommend to her?i told her to look at canon.any other brands.she wants the best camera available in 16k,she is pretty tech savvy so the camera not being user friendly doesn't bother her.
Also please mention the model numbers as well.
thanks a lot.
Old 30th September 2007, 12:31   #1009
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellspawn View Post
hi guys,a friend of mine wants to buy a decent digital camera.its going to be her first digital camera so her budget is rs.16000.i presume only entry level cameras would fit into her budget,am i right??which brands and models should i recommend to her?i told her to look at canon.any other brands.she wants the best camera available in 16k,she is pretty tech savvy so the camera not being user friendly doesn't bother her.
Also please mention the model numbers as well.
thanks a lot.
I guess Canon S5IS is the best option in the range. One of the members bought it for 16k grey.
Old 30th September 2007, 12:43   #1010
Senior - BHPian

I recently came across the Fujifilm S8000fd and Olympus SP-550 with 18x zoom and similar specs as Canon S5IS. Any idea how these models stand against the Canon?
Old 30th September 2007, 15:20   #1011
BHPian

Good reviews of Super zoom cameras.

Camera Labs Buyer's Guide: the best super-zoom digital cameras
Old 30th September 2007, 15:34   #1012
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Thanks Samurai, I have decided between Nikon and Canon. Including the models ND40X and Canon 400D. From Grey, i got the price of 26.5K for ND40X and 29K for Canon 400D. What is exactly Grey? Is it just they get it in india without paying taxes? Is the product original in all cases? Hope there is no refurbishing, change of inferior lens etc involved.

If yes, then i can live with the no warranty option and go for it.

Another big problem is we dont have an authorized Nikon service center here in Hyderabad which is kind of making me tilt a bit more towards 400D
go for canon. In india canon support is better. Till Nikon comes in a bigger way , canon is a better bet.
Apart from that if you are really not keen on the Canikon then oly makes good sense, esp for a beginner. Its a good camera, and is much better value for money than the canikon.
I am a canon 350D owner myself. When I bought this, the oly offering was lousy to say the least(E300 or something) for my needs(Low low noise).
With the new sensor, noise is down and you get the bonus of IS.
If you really want canon or nikon, go for a 400D. Actually wait a little more, the prices will drop soon as canon will announce the later version in 1.5 months or so.
Old 30th September 2007, 20:30   #1013
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Thanks Samurai, I have decided between Nikon and Canon. Including the models ND40X and Canon 400D.
Just curious, what is your reason for sticking with Canon or Nikon? If you are an amateur photographer like most of us, I don't see why you want to ignore VFM offerings from Olympus and Pentax. Both these offer way better features than competing products from Canikon. With Olympus E-510 and 2 kit lenses, you are set for 28-300mm EFL for around 28K. If the upcoming pro body from Olympus turns out to be too expensive, I am planning to upgrade to E-510. Even Pentax K10D is top rated. Both E-510 and K10D are miles ahead of 400D or D40x. Therefore, if you don't mind I want to understand the reason.
Old 30th September 2007, 23:57   #1014
BHPian

Your days and weeks of thinking and trying to make up your mind on which camera can be resolved the instant you see each camera in the flesh and hold them for yourself.

Most people will immediately prefer the look and feel of one model much more than the others.

Each camera does have specific advantages and requirements though which certain photographers select one over another.

The bottom line is while each of the cameras have there pros and cons,
you’ll also have to look very closely to spot any difference in quality.

I would suggest that you go ahead and try all of them you have shortlisted and if it has the required features, quality and is within your budget, go for it.

Cheers
Hellcat
Old 1st October 2007, 01:57   #1015

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
I guess Canon S5IS is the best option in the range. One of the members bought it for 16k grey.
not looking at the grey market...she has decided two models from the canon line up as they have a better support in india.she has to finalise between these two:Powershot A560 and Powershot A570IS.which one is better.the former retails for 13800 and the latter costs 15300.
Old 1st October 2007, 02:43   #1016
Team-BHP Support

Samu, two things about Oly,
* How good is the service for this range here? We do get Nikon and Canon service centers in India. Is it as good for Oly?
* I do not know why you say that E-510 is VFM but when I enquired I found that even in the gray market the E-510 is being sold for 38-39k with only the kit lens. This, against the gray market price of around 22-23k for the D40 and 27-27.5k for the D40x is certainly no cheap affair! By the way Canon 350D is available with 2 years Canon India warranty for around Rs. 27,900
Old 1st October 2007, 07:36   #1017
Team-BHP Support

The service center list is given here: http://www.olympus.co.jp/en/support/...utors_list.pdf

Perhaps the 28K is the grey market price, I heard that number on this thread or PAAI.

One switches to dSLR for superior lens quality. If lens quality didn't matter, then you can easily manage with ultra zooom P&S. Olympus Zuiko lenses are really cheap for the quality they have, that's what makes it VFM. These days the body prices have become really cheap, so a typical dSLR user spends 80:20 on body and lens. Therefore, you need to look at what gives you better lenses at cheaper price.
Old 2nd October 2007, 03:30   #1018
Senior - BHPian

any one planning to get a Canon S5 IS here is a very good review with most features explained. Canon Powershot S5 IS Review
Old 2nd October 2007, 16:51   #1019
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Just curious, what is your reason for sticking with Canon or Nikon? If you are an amateur photographer like most of us, I don't see why you want to ignore VFM offerings from Olympus and Pentax. Both these offer way better features than competing products from Canikon. With Olympus E-510 and 2 kit lenses, you are set for 28-300mm EFL for around 28K. If the upcoming pro body from Olympus turns out to be too expensive, I am planning to upgrade to E-510. Even Pentax K10D is top rated. Both E-510 and K10D are miles ahead of 400D or D40x. Therefore, if you don't mind I want to understand the reason.
Samurai, I am an amateur photographer keen on turning to serious amateur. I have load of experience with P&S cameras and have 1 Pentax film camera and 2 Canon P&S Digicams. I settled for Nikon or Canon purely based on the branding ( they are very popular cameras world over, compared to other brands like Oly and Pentax, Fuji etc), this was the simple way of shortlisting the brand. Second step, wanted to venture into a good entry-level DSLR and decided to compare models amongst these two brands and finally honed down to Nikon D40X and Canon 400D

Zappo, I enquired at authorized canon showroom here in Banjara Hills and the best price offered for 400D is 46K with B&W and Canon 350D best price with bill and 2 yrs warranty is 26K. For the price of 400D, there is an offer of one return air ticket, Jacket, Cap, Camera Bag, Kit lens cleaner, etc along with the regular equipment that comes along with it.

And, enquired the Grey prices from Jagdish market in Abids and they are quoting 26.5K for Nikon D40X and 28.5K for Canon 400D. Heard that the folks in JM are not so reliable so i am taking some time to find a reliable shop where i can buy it. I have some friends in the police department using their arm twisting techniques to atleast get a product that is not tampered Planning to buy it in a couple of weeks.
Old 2nd October 2007, 18:14   #1020
Team-BHP Support

Thanks for answering my question. If brand name matters to you, then you can't look beyond Canon & Nikon. Besides, you won't have people questioning your choice. Have fun with your new camera.

Most Viewed