Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2008, 14:31   #2056
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Amitoj,

You can try this for starters. It is just a two day course. I believe he is a Team-BHPian, but not a regular.

The Jungle Look/info/resources/photography-workshop
This is exactly what i was looking for!!
Thanks Samurai
Old 25th April 2008, 14:31   #2057
Team-BHP Support

[quote=whatcanthisbe;808653]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
How is the "peace of mind" factor when you buy grey?
[\QUOTE]

Even when you buy a lens with B&W from canon india the lens carries NO WARRANTY
AFAIK, the lens is not covered in 2 Year warranty, but all Canon lenses purchased from anywhere in the world from an Authorized retailer carry 1 year international warranty.
Old 25th April 2008, 14:56   #2058
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Amitoj,

You can try this for starters. It is just a two day course. I believe he is a Team-BHPian, but not a regular.

Sudhir is a very renowned bird photographer and I'm sure you can learn a lot from him. Also become a member of the photography forums as they normally contain huge information(just like our Team-bhp). and there are quite a few indian forums too such as Shutterfreeze,jjmehta and our bangalore based bangalore photography club.I've regularly been checking these forums and they've helped me a lot.The net is a awesome treasure of photography learning.And along with it ofcourse it helps to learn from an experienced photographer.

Quote:
36.5% duty?

How is the "peace of mind" factor when you buy grey?
I'm a bit worried about warranty matters?
Normally even renowned shops will also sell you equipments at grey market rates. I've been buying my equipments from RK photoguide or Photocircle here in bangalore and never had any issue with the quality.I would say i trust RK more and the price will be lil' bit higher then other grey market prices(say 1 to 1.5k more for a 50k lens).But it worth the premium paid for the peace of mind.They even take back the equipment in exchange of another one if you are not happy with it.As ROC said that you can test your equipment here whereas for online shopping there is no way to test it beforehand.
Regards,
Kaushik

Last edited by kaushik_s : 25th April 2008 at 15:04. Reason: adding more information
Old 25th April 2008, 15:07   #2059
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks. I'll try RK instead.
Naresh at RK knows TBHP so maybe you might get a small discount or atlest better than usual service. I use Naresh too.
Old 25th April 2008, 15:25   #2060
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Naresh at RK knows TBHP so maybe you might get a small discount or atlest better than usual service. I use Naresh too.
Good only for Canon/Nikon I feel. I called him many times for Olympus E3, he never called back with the price as promised, even once.
Old 25th April 2008, 17:28   #2061
BHPian

Quote:
Amitoj,

@samurai: Thanks for that link.

I have a list of things to do / learn before i hit 40...which is nearing soon. This is just one of them.

-- Torqy
Old 25th April 2008, 20:07   #2062
BHPian

deal posted

Hi All,
I saw a deal posted on amazon for Nikon D40 6.1MP Digital SLR Camera + 18-55mm lens + 55-200mm lens for $585 + free shipping (i 'm guessing for US locations).
I have read a couple of posts where people have talked about different deals in this price range.
FYI I am a newbie(in the camera and tbhp sense) and I'm looking to start learning more about art and science of photography. Currently own a point and shoot canon SD700.

NoMind
Old 25th April 2008, 23:35   #2063
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Good only for Canon/Nikon I feel..
Agreed. but more than 75% of DSLRs sold are Can-Nik.
Old 25th April 2008, 23:42   #2064
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMind View Post
Hi All,
I saw a deal posted on amazon for Nikon D40 6.1MP Digital SLR Camera + 18-55mm lens + 55-200mm lens for $585 + free shipping (i 'm guessing for US locations).
I have read a couple of posts where people have talked about different deals in this price range.
FYI I am a newbie(in the camera and tbhp sense) and I'm looking to start learning more about art and science of photography. Currently own a point and shoot canon SD700.

NoMind
Hi
It looks like a good deal. You can also try out the Canon 350D or the Pentax K100D for similar price ranges.
Old 26th April 2008, 00:03   #2065
BHPian

Hello friends,

Its almost 3 weeks since i bought my 40D and i have taken quite a few pictures, for some reason the pictures appear to be very dull and i find my self auto correcting most of the pictures in Picture Manager.I use the standard mode most of the times. I managed to compare it with my friends D40 Nikon and he clicks in the vivid picture mode.The pictures from my 40D appear to be dull & faded. I would like to mention i tried the other picture modes as well and found not that much of difference, this was mainly while shooting in Forest locations, where the scenary came without highlighting any colours. Kindly advice on what the problem might be or what is the settings i need to use.

Location of shooting: Open lands, landscapes & mainly in forests.
Settings: Tv, Shutter priority mode Shutter speed between 50 - 1000 used.
ISO - 200 to 800
Aperture:- 3.5 - 5.6
Lens used : - 18-55 IS

Here are some of the pics,

Old 26th April 2008, 00:04   #2066
BHPian

I agree that a lot of photos need PP and its very important to learn RAW conversion. Why i compared was i took the pictures in JPEG format and the straight out of box Jpeg's both camera gave, i felt very bad comparing the pictures. I have posted the image from both cameras taken at the same place during our safari, and i dont know what setting went wrong but the images out of 40D lacked any colour, Was there something wrong with exposure? Aperture? DoF? I like to mention that these are out of the camera pictures without any PP. Same 18-55 lenses.

D40

40D

Old 26th April 2008, 00:32   #2067
Team-BHP Support

That's very odd, show it to some experienced Canon dSLR users, hard to solve it over the net.
Old 26th April 2008, 10:28   #2068
Senior - BHPian

Is something similar available in Delhi/NCR?

Quote:
Amitoj,

Old 26th April 2008, 15:06   #2069
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrage View Post
I agree that a lot of photos need PP and its very important to learn RAW conversion. Why i compared was i took the pictures in JPEG format and the straight out of box Jpeg's both camera gave, i felt very bad comparing the pictures. I have posted the image from both cameras taken at the same place during our safari, and i dont know what setting went wrong but the images out of 40D lacked any colour, Was there something wrong with exposure? Aperture? DoF? I like to mention that these are out of the camera pictures without any PP. Same 18-55 lenses.
Redrage, the two pictures you shot don't look right. The vivid mode of a D40 can't introduce new colors - in this case the oranges and reds. It can make existing colors more vibrant. So the greens of the trees will pop out more.
I think what happened here was that your friend with D40 caught some good light - because there is sun and shadows in the picture absent from yours. You may have taken the picture when a cloud came before the sun. It's the only explanation I can think of for the dramatic difference in the pictures.
The 40D is a very capable camera. I recently shot some pictures with my D70s and compared them with pictures taken from a 40D the same day. The pictures from the latter had significantly more pop and detail. But then I wasn't shooting at the highest quality settings or paying much attention to what I was shooting (it was a work trip) while the other guy was a pro who shoots for a living.

Last edited by StarScream : 26th April 2008 at 15:10.
Old 26th April 2008, 15:21   #2070
Senior - BHPian

Also put a UV filter in front if your lens, if you don't already have one - it is sorely needed in the bright conditions we have in India. The last thing you can try is use another Canon lens and check the results. Perhaps there is something wrong with your lens.
Other Canon users can probably help you with camera settings. Im not familiar with those being a Nikon user.
Although I still feel that all these tweaks can't explain the difference in the pictures. The pic from the D40 is shot in different light.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks