Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2008, 17:25   #2236
Senior - BHPian

^^A new one is just under 30k. However I'd not buy that lens for the lack of IS.
Old 14th May 2008, 17:31   #2237
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaibir View Post
I'm looking for a compact point and shoot for general family use. Already have a DSLR system for the more demanding stuff. This camera would be more of a general carry around camera for my wife which I would be using on rare occassions. I'm familiar with the general limitations of a p&s sensor so not looking for anything extrordinary. Would prefer to limit the outlay to under 10k. I need suggestions on which ones to look at. I've filled out the requirements template from one of the earlier posts below.

Budget
* What budget have you allocated for buying this camera? Please be as specific as possible.
Up to 10k
Size
* What size camera are you looking for? Or does size not matter at all to you?
Something small, easy to carry in a ladies' handbag

Features
How many megapixels will suffice for you?
Anything over 6 should be ok

* What optical zoom will you need? (None, Standard = 3x-4x, Ultrazoom = 10x-12x)
Standard should be fine. Have a DSLR system for the heavy stuff

* How important is “image quality” to you? (Rate using a scale of 1-10)
Do you care for manual controls?
Need some manual controls for when I use it. Most of the time it would be on auto though

General Usage
* What will you generally use the camera for?
Social occassions, light duty stuff
* Will you be making big prints of your photos or not?
No but regular prints-yes!
Will you be shooting a lot of indoor photos or low light photos?
yes but will be using the flash for this
Will you be shooting sports and/or action photos?
Rarely
Miscellaneous
Would prefer CF cards but not a major constraints
Are there particular models you already have in mind?
No. My better half has used Nikon and Olympus. I've used Canon. Neither of us is stuck on any of these brands.

(If applicable) Do you need any of the following special features? (Wide Angle, Image Stabilization, Weatherproof, Hotshoe, Rotating LCD)
Wide angle would be useful. Image stabilization and flip LCD are nice to haves which I wont miss too much if they arent there.

Suggestions and tips would be much appreciated.

Doesn't the Canon PowerShot A720 IS fit nicely within your requirements?
Old 14th May 2008, 17:41   #2238
BHPian

I agree ROC, but the problem with any other Canon 70-200 is $$$$. Yep the count of it goes beyond 1000$ with F4 being at 1050$ being the cheapest. If buying in India, add 35% tax + transportation by B&H. That is why being a beginner with SLRs, I am looking to start with F4 non-IS and later upgrade to 2.8 IS whenever possible.

BTW, I am looking to use this lens on my tours and not for any sports photography as of now.
(Planning on a Leh one soon).
Old 14th May 2008, 19:33   #2239
BHPian

@TSK, Is F31 FD available in the market or In India?Ready to pay what ever price it commands!
Eagerly awaiting for your reply.
Old 14th May 2008, 20:29   #2240
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by given2fly View Post
I agree ROC, but the problem with any other Canon 70-200 is $$$$. Yep the count of it goes beyond 1000$ with F4 being at 1050$ being the cheapest. If buying in India, add 35% tax + transportation by B&H. That is why being a beginner with SLRs, I am looking to start with F4 non-IS and later upgrade to 2.8 IS whenever possible.

BTW, I am looking to use this lens on my tours and not for any sports photography as of now.

This is the one in jjmehta.. right??

I would still stretch for the IS - esp since I am a beginner.
Old 14th May 2008, 22:01   #2241
Team-BHP Support

Gill sahib, Rajinder will be the best person to answer that. Nowadays I am more aware as per DSLRs etc.,
F31fd should be easily available.
Check with Fuji Local office.
Or you can order from B&H with 60$ shipping charge.
Now sure about customs though. Some people have gotten themselves 200$ stuff shipped from abroad without any duty
Old 14th May 2008, 23:16   #2242
BHPian

@Tsk,
Will inquire about F31fd from the Fuji India office.Had a word with Rajinder he says it's not available in the market.Let's see.

@other forum members,
Can u plz provide the contact no. of good reatilers in cities like mumbai,bangalore,chennai,calcutta,or... from where one ask or inquire about the product availability.It would be really helpfull.

Thanks alot.
Have a good Night.
Old 14th May 2008, 23:36   #2243
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by given2fly View Post

You can buy the 70-200 f/L IS in grey for around 46k or so. Nothing typically goes wrong with the lens so its okay to buy it in grey. Worst case you can pay and get it repaired at a canon service center if something goes wrong (highly unlikely).

If you *must* have a low priced telephoto, I suggest the EF-S 55-250 IS or the EF 70-300 IS in case you need to use it on a full frame body. Trust me... you'll get a lot more keepers. A good option is to buy the cheap 55-250 which has very nice IQ for the price and then save up and get the 70-200 f/2.8 IS once you have enough money and get rid of the 55-250.

The latter is exactly what I'm doing.

Last edited by reignofchaos : 14th May 2008 at 23:37.
Old 15th May 2008, 00:29   #2244
BHPian

55-250

i have been using 55-250 since 2 months and recently i went to ipl match in mohali it gave my good results in that light. it clarity is much better than the kit lens 18-55. and i dont think u will be replacing it if u want to take pictures during ur travel because it is light . the f2.8 is a heavy lens and costly .
Old 15th May 2008, 09:47   #2245
Senior - BHPian

Ok guys Iv managed to convince my friend not to take the D-Slr plunge. This is his first ever camera too so it was a no brainer.

For about $500 the only thing that came to mind was the S5 IS and also a New Olympus I read about(i think 570uz or something) as Im not very up to date.

What about the nikons?

Its a lot of travel photography I would think, sunsets, nature, flowers, social gatherings etc.

Anything with 18-20x optical zoom is what he is looking for.
Old 15th May 2008, 09:52   #2246
BHPian

The One-Dollar Image Stabilizer for Any Camera.

The One-Dollar Image Stabilizer for Any Camera - Switched
Old 15th May 2008, 12:08   #2247
BHPian

I was looking at the Bangy Photography Club's post. But just found the one you mentioned in JJMehta and they are close.

I will also go for IS but they are out of range $wise. I have seen what my "kit" lens offers and therefore I am resisting running after such a lens (no offense intended to anyone). Also this is not going to be a weather-proof lens and I am going to use my lens in some extreme condition this monsoon. So L-Series weather-proof casing is the way for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb100 View Post
This is the one in jjmehta.. right??

I would still stretch for the IS - esp since I am a beginner.
I am not looking for low priced Tele-Photo lenses and no money for a full frame either :(. Just saw the prices on JJMehta. F 2.8 is 78500/- & they are grey prices. JJMehta will seldom sell you something with B&W unless you insist. Still they will try to push the grey stuff a little more. At least that is what I saw whenever I was there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
You can buy the 70-200 f/L IS in grey for around 46k or so. Nothing typically goes wrong with the lens so its okay to buy it in grey. Worst case you can pay and get it repaired at a canon service center if something goes wrong (highly unlikely).

If you *must* have a low priced telephoto, I suggest the EF-S 55-250 IS or the EF 70-300 IS in case you need to use it on a full frame body. Trust me... you'll get a lot more keepers. A good option is to buy the cheap 55-250 which has very nice IQ for the price and then save up and get the 70-200 f/2.8 IS once you have enough money and get rid of the 55-250.

The latter is exactly what I'm doing.
I am sure you got good results. It's not the lens but the eyes behind it who make a picture look sweet. But my needs are a little different & I too have 18-55 kit lens and not a fan of it at all. 2.8 is heavy but I am going for F-4 right now which is considerably lighter than F-2.8. Anyway, you can't look at the weight of a lens if you want mind-blowing pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rupinder View Post
i have been using 55-250 since 2 months and recently i went to ipl match in mohali it gave my good results in that light. it clarity is much better than the kit lens 18-55. and i dont think u will be replacing it if u want to take pictures during ur travel because it is light . the f2.8 is a heavy lens and costly .
Old 15th May 2008, 12:12   #2248
BHPian

One more query. My Panasonic GS-35 handi's LCD display is not working and a couple of repair guys said that the wiring or the display case something has gone kaput. Cost of replacement is 1600. Panny official service center quoted it at 1600/- + 700/- service charges which i think is on a little higher side.

Is it the problem or something else can be done about it. Anywhere else, where I could get it done for lesser?
Old 15th May 2008, 13:40   #2249
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0uljah View Post
Ok guys Iv managed to convince my friend not to take the D-Slr plunge. This is his first ever camera too so it was a no brainer.

For about $500 the only thing that came to mind was the S5 IS and also a New Olympus I read about(i think 570uz or something) as Im not very up to date.

What about the nikons?

Its a lot of travel photography I would think, sunsets, nature, flowers, social gatherings etc.

Anything with 18-20x optical zoom is what he is looking for.
Those 20x or 200x or whatever are compromised designs. As the range goes up, the lens quality goes down. If he's willing to spend 500 or so, I'd suggest he get a DSLR. There's no real need to get a P&S and then move up. If he must have a point and shoot in that price range, I suggest the Powershot G9 or Lumix FZ50.
Old 15th May 2008, 13:56   #2250
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvish View Post
Like @condor suggested, you cannot go wrong with S3 or S5. There is one relatively unkown camera called sx100 IS from canon. Exactly similar to S5 but without hot shoe and some low end video recording (in comparison). If video is not a priority this can be added to the short list.
If size is a priority, I am not sure if these would appeal though.
i bought SX100IS from US and got it for Rs 9500. i am happy with the photo quality, zoom and most importantly the Image Stabilization. the only thing i miss is the lack of optical view finder. using the camera away from the face increases the shake (though IS does help here)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks