Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2008, 00:16   #2341
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Why the filter kit??
Just get the Circular polarizer. The warming filter can be easily done in PS, and the UV filter is pretty useless.
However the CPL is the best filter you can buy.
BTW 40D body now retails for 930$, even I am getting tempted
Sheer ignorance.. Everyone seems to be having/using UV filters. And I know polarizers were considered good from my ad-film days. The drop down menu on the B&H website listed this as an option - Guess I bought it more for the bag than the 'warmer'

What swung my decision to go with B&H was the fact that I was getting a BILL for everything in my firm's name - this would not have been possible if I was buying in grey locally (or would have meant 13% extra as taxes only for a bill). Moreover I found the rates that the local Canon Dealer - Savithri - in Cbe gave the best rates. The cheapest rates were Cochin - 41k - followed by Savithri 42,250/- . The Bangalore rates were not below 44,500 for the 40D body. The lenses also had a difference of at least 2-3K EACH between Bangy and Cbe (on a $400 lens) To add to all this this famous dealer in Bangy wanted 5-7% extra for a credit card transaction!!! - the same thing in Cbe was just an additional 1.75%. Given all this decided to spend that 3.5% as foreign currency transaction fees and pick up the camera and lens from there - the total cost savings was significant.

I intend to pick up the rest of the things locally one at a time - Need to pick the following up immediately - any suggestions folks?.

1. The spare Battery - here would you suggest Canon original - or a compatible third party one?

2. CF card - 4GB x 2 - but which make?

Maybe after a month ...

3. Tripod & Head ... which one??

4. BG E2N Grip

5. Flash (is this really required? Its around 18K!!)
Old 27th May 2008, 00:40   #2342
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Hello SIR!! What have I done wrong here?
No it was me. I beg YOUR forgiveness for that statement. You are one person where the equipment could be a limitation for the rest of us any decent SLR (like the 40D) is more camera than we could handle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb100 View Post
What swung my decision to go with B&H

1. The spare Battery - here would you suggest Canon original - or a compatible third party one?
4. BG E2N Grip
how will you import it into the country?
CF card get Extreme IV 8GB. I got Extreme III 8GB but they did not have Extreme IV when I wanted them.

Get BP511A. Why take chances?

I use a Velbon CX560 and Manfrotto 475. Sometimes I mount a borrowed 70-200/2.8 lens on one tripod and the body with the 17-55 lens on the other tripod. I really need to find a tripod collar for the 17-55 then with the lenses on the tripod I can just unplug the body and click.

For the flash get the 580EX or atleast the 430EX. I have a 420EX that I got in 2001 but the new flashes have E-TTL and faster cycle time.

You also need a case. The Kata H-14 will carry body with BGE2N (loaded with 2 BP511A) attached (after a slight mod), 2 lenses (one attached to body), 1 flash and spare batteries (I carry a filled BG E2 cartridge + 8 extra batteris for the flash and a extra BP511A). The ribbed cover of the case is very good in protecting the camera. If you need more room add the Kata S308 or get the Tamrac Velocity 7 or LowePro Slingshot 200. If you can carry all this stuff (it can get quite heavy) on your waist get the LowePro Off Trail 2. If you want a backpack get the Kata DR465.
Old 27th May 2008, 01:08   #2343
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post

how will you import it into the country?
NO NO - I mean to buy all this locally.

Quote:
CF card get Extreme IV 8GB. I got Extreme III 8GB but they did not have Extreme IV when I wanted them.
I was being advised to get the Extreme III - apparently the camera's buffer is more than enough and the read/write speed of the camera may be a limiting factor - haven't been able to find info on the 40D's capabilities on that front. Apparently the III is much cheaper as well!

Have you found the III's limiting in any way?

My question was more on what brand to buy - apparently all's not quite what it seems on the card front - Apparently the real life performance varies wildly from brand to brand

Quote:
You also need a case. The Kata H-14 will carry body with BGE2N (loaded with 2 BP511A) attached (after a slight mod), 2 lenses (one attached to body), 1 flash and spare batteries (I carry a filled BG E2 cartridge + 8 extra batteris for the flash and a extra BP511A). The ribbed cover of the case is very good in protecting the camera. If you need more room add the Kata S308 or get the Tamrac Velocity 7 or LowePro Slingshot 200. If you can carry all this stuff (it can get quite heavy) on your waist get the LowePro Off Trail 2. If you want a backpack get the Kata DR465.
AIYOO-- AMMMO ... now that means MORE research!
Forgot all about that!!

Tell me Sirs' - Tripod, Grip, Flash... what should my priority be - 1,2,3??
Old 27th May 2008, 09:03   #2344
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Maybe after a month ...

4. BG E2N Grip

1. If you can get sterlingtek, go for it. I use that as my spare battery. Avoid local third party batteries. Sterlingtek is available online
2. Any good 133x or more will do. I use A-data. You can go for Sandisk. Why didn't you order from B&H
3. If you want cheap, get the heaviest Vivitar(1400), or if you want to spend, get manfrotto(100$ approx). Again, you can order this from B&H itself
4. 40D is a big camera, any particular reason why want grip
5. Are you going to do studio or low light outdoor potraits etc., IF yes, go for flash, otherwise no need.
Old 27th May 2008, 10:02   #2345
BHPian

Quote:
UV filter is pretty useless.
I wouldnt risk shooting without a UV filter. Its mainly for protection. Rather than risking damage to the lens, its lighter on the wallet to absorb the damage on the filter
Old 27th May 2008, 10:32   #2346
BHPian

Quote:
Why the filter kit??
Just get the Circular polarizer. The warming filter can be easily done in PS, and the UV filter is pretty useless.
UV filter is not useless. More than the protection from UV, it protects the lens front. It's cheap to replace the UV if it breaks......not so with the lens.

-- Torqy
Old 27th May 2008, 10:53   #2347
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Have you found the III's limiting in any way?
My question was more on what brand to buy

AIYOO-- AMMMO ... now that means MORE research!
Forgot all about that!!
Tell me Sirs' - Tripod, Grip, Flash... what should my priority be - 1,2,3??
Arey you need a bag to carry allt he stuff dont you. I like Kata's ribbed design it has protected my camera from from rather nasty bumps and falls. Think about it. If you travel and are carrying 2 bags and the camera you are bound to bump into stuff.

1. for indoors get the flash. the on camera flash can bounce and direct flash kills the picture. I'd rather have grain and deal with it using noise ninja than on camera flash. Atleast the 430EX.

2. for low light (sunsets) landscapes (outdoors) get the tripod. Make sure it can carry 4kg and expand to atleast your height.

3. The grip is really mose useful when you have heavy lenses (1kg+). and need balance. So save that for last.

Quote:
4. 40D is a big camera, any particular reason why want grip.
for his pnky! no really. :-) I got mine for my pinky too. maybe they should call it a "pinky-thing" instead of a grip. LOL. I believe "pinky thing" sounds so much more fun than "battery grip".

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvish View Post
I wouldnt risk shooting without a UV filter. Its
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
UV filter is not useless. More than the protection from UV, it protects the lens front.
I often carry my lenses with a UV filter installed but for certain shots where I can be certain I wont bump into kids and furniture I remove it. Try this when you are shooting sunsets (on a tripod).
Old 27th May 2008, 10:56   #2348
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. If you can get sterlingtek, go for it. I use that as my spare battery. Avoid local third party batteries. Sterlingtek is available online
Done - will Google it up!

Quote:
2. Any good 133x or more will do. I use A-data. You can go for Sandisk. Why didn't you order from B&H
The cost of memory card is actually cheaper in India. (got a 1.6k quote for a CF extreme III 4GB here)

Quote:
3. If you want cheap, get the heaviest Vivitar(1400), or if you want to spend, get manfrotto(100$ approx). Again, you can order this from B&H itself
B & H is no more an option - My boss is flying back on Friday morning - no way the stuff is going to reach him in time - And a camera+lens is okay - but a tripod etc will eat into his luggage.

Manfrotto prices are scary - over phone the Bangy dealer said it'll cost me from 10K onwards PLUS head extra!Savithri yesterday gave me a quote for the 055 Pro for 9,500/- , and Ballheads 488RCO for 6,600/- and 486RCO for 4,270/-.

WOWWOW!!

I know a tripod needs to handle the weight of the camera and lens, but isn't it sections of Aluminium??.. what makes it so expensive?

Quote:
4. 40D is a big camera, any particular reason why want grip
Three reasons

- I got BIG paws. I held the 30D (which is supposed to be quite similar) and felt the added leverage of a grip can help. (will weigh up nicely against the base of your palm - the fleshy portion below the lil finger - inspires more confidence while handling)

- Definitely helps while using the camera vertically.

- The extended battery backup. (Though carrying an additional battery will give me the same life)

Quote:
5. Are you going to do studio or low light outdoor portraits etc. IF yes, go for flash, otherwise no need.
NO - so guess thats resolved for the moment - (who know maybe I can find myself a bargain somewhere)

Last edited by kb100 : 27th May 2008 at 11:01.
Old 27th May 2008, 10:58   #2349
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvish View Post
I wouldnt risk shooting without a UV filter. Its mainly for protection. Rather than risking damage to the lens, its lighter on the wallet to absorb the damage on the filter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
UV filter is not useless. More than the protection from UV, it protects the lens front. It's cheap to replace the UV if it breaks......not so with the lens.

-- Torqy
I presume you guys mean that the lens is protected while in storage, like an additional lens cap, right?
Well then buy a 100rs cheap kenko filter.
But take it off while shooting.
why would you first buy a L quality lens, and then put an inferior piece of glass in front.
CPL, ND filter etc., I understand, they will impact image quality, but even if you use MC UV filters, you will increase the flare, and you will find many night shots ruined.
I was a UV filter user(Hoya) and found that in night shots the flares often spoilt the shot.
So I stopped using UV filters for all shooting, and stopped using CPL for night shooting.
Unless you are shooting against a rain of pebbels, I can't figure out how UV filter will protect your lens. I am sure lenses don't get damaged when photons hit them

Quote:
The cost of memory card is actually cheaper in India. (got a 1.6k quote for a CF extreme III 4GB here)
Test memory in card. There have been reports of CF card issue with a certain Sandisk model.

Quote:

I know a tripod needs to handle the weight of the camera and lens, but isn't it sections of Aluminium??.. what makes it so expensive?
Well go for the most expensive Vivitar. They come in three ranges(800, 1100, 1400).
I forgot the model number. I use the middle range. Sometimes I feel its a little jittery. But the heaviest one is the best. So unless you need a ball or Pano head, Vivitar will do.
All those many minute long night shots you see from me? They were done using Vivitar.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 27th May 2008 at 11:04.
Old 27th May 2008, 12:03   #2350
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Manfrotto prices are scary - over phone the Bangy dealer said it'll cost me from 10K onwards PLUS head extra!Savithri yesterday gave me a quote for the 055 Pro for 9,500/- , and Ballheads 488RCO for 6,600/- and 486RCO for 4,270/-.

WOWWOW!!
Didn't I tell you dSLRs are a money pit, plus you believe in buying the best all the time. First KB ka DB, and now KB ka DP (Digital Photography).

Quote:
Well go for the most expensive Vivitar. They come in three ranges(800, 1100, 1400).
I have a Manfrotto (190DB + 486RC2) which is very good, yet it couldn't support Rudra's gear and many GV shots were spoilt. I feel 40D needs Manfrotto or above, not Vivitar.
Old 27th May 2008, 12:16   #2351
BHPian

Quote:
In my opinion it is slightly costly. Thats about it. Not very expensive. These gears will pay for them sleves.
Lets say tommorow you will start doing macro, they will help in a long way. I tried to save on ball head. And it immediatly showed up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I feel 40D needs Manfrotto or above, not Vivitar.
+1
Old 27th May 2008, 12:23   #2352
Team-BHP Support

Agree the manfrotto is better, but if funds is an issue, its good to spend around 1200 on the Vivitar and carry on till funds come in.
Old 27th May 2008, 12:47   #2353
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Didn't I tell you dSLRs are a money pit, plus you believe in buying the best all the time. First KB ka DB, and now KB ka DP (Digital Photography).
You did.. You did - and HOW!

Kb ka DP ... lol thats a good one!

You wouldn't believe it but I already have had my first attack of whatever-it-is. I mailed B&H at 4am today wanting to buy the Tammy 17-50 instead of the Sigma 17-70 - but seems they have already shipped it! Anyone interested in a Siggy??

Quote:
I have a Manfrotto (190DB + 486RC2) which is very good, yet it couldn't support Rudra's gear and many GV shots were spoilt. I feel 40D needs Manfrotto or above, not Vivitar.
So one needs to sort by weight carrying ability? Will 4 kgs do? or is that an overkill?

I thought the heavier the load, the wider the legs of the tripod need to be place. But are you saying that they will buckle under an extra kg or two? I am truly clueless so please shed some light on this!
Old 27th May 2008, 13:25   #2354
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Manfrotto prices are scary
Quote:
I presume you guys mean that the lens is protected while in storage, like an additional lens cap, right?

Well go for the most expensive Vivitar..
Quote:
I have a Manfrotto (190DB + 486RC2) which is very good, yet it couldn't support Rudra's gear
Quote:
So one needs to sort by weight carrying ability? Will 4 kgs do?
Velbon is cheaper than the Manfrotto. I use the CX560 and it supports my 40D+batterypack+17-55 fine.

4kgs is an absolute minimum. Dont get a tripod that cant support 4kgs and cant extend till atleast your height.

Samu, you have an enviable tripod, which lens was Rudra-da using that it could not support the weight?
Old 27th May 2008, 14:27   #2355
Senior - BHPian

Congrats KB on your DP.

My camera has been ordered and was picked up from Singapore Duty Free this morning (cheaper by about $400 in Sing!!!). Should arrive in DXB in the first week of June, having travelled via Australia.

Sold my D50, too.

Most Viewed