Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2008, 12:19   #2611
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrage View Post
My Colleague Bought a Nikon P80 (grey) for 15,600 RS at R.K ! Brilliant VFM I must say!!! Excluding Card & Case of course!
I dont know what it retails here (with bill), but it is under $300 in the US.

For a moment thought it is the D80 that he / she got for that much
Old 9th July 2008, 13:05   #2612
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
I dont know what it retails here (with bill), but it is under $300 in the US.

For a moment thought it is the D80 that he / she got for that much
300$ that is real surprising as i compared the rates with Nikon India & JJ Mehta (Nikon Digital/SLR Camera Price - jjmehta.com)

The Price from Nikon India was INR 21995 or such and JJ also similar.
D 80 Grey has come to almost 30k now. But In BPC a guy was selling his year old D70s for 19 (body only)
Old 9th July 2008, 18:18   #2613
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrage View Post
The Price from Nikon India was INR 21995
That's what I thought - and we cant be sure what we are paying that premium for! My Digi's will never be bought here!!
Old 9th July 2008, 19:30   #2614
Senior - BHPian

Panasonic DMC FZ 18 vs Sony H50 vs Olympus SP 570 vs FujiFilm S8100Fd

Greetings to all.

I have to choose between the below listed ultrazoom cameras.
Please help me decide one.

Panasonic DMC FZ 18 (18x opt zoom)
Sony H50 (15x opt zoom)
Olympus SP 570 (20x opt zoom)
FujiFilm S8100Fd (18x opt zoom)

I searched on all websites regarding this cameras and all are really good in almost all aspect.

My requirements are as follows

- Great image quality
- Fast Response (Shutter Times)
- Good indoor and outdoor photos
- Maximum extended zoom without distorting.
- A bit easier too use though this is not major criteria.
- Doesn't disappoint me during occasions.

If you have any other ultrazoom camera in mind please feel free to include in this shootout.
The prices of above are within budget. So help me decide.
Old 10th July 2008, 22:11   #2615
BHPian

@chevelle

You can add Nikon P80 to the list.

I think Lumix FZ18 has the best image quality and Olympus SP570uz has the best features.
Old 10th July 2008, 22:45   #2616
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopz View Post
I think Lumix FZ18 has the best image quality and Olympus SP570uz has the best features.
You can't make such assumptions, see what dpreview has to say about FZ18.

Quote:
  • Images lack biting crispness, some loss of fine detail to noise reduction even at ISO 100
  • Default noise reduction too high at all ISO settings (use low NR setting or raw)
  • Occasional odd artefacts at lower ISO settings (some moiré related, some just plain old NR)
  • Soft, over-sharpened JPEGs don't work well with very fine detail (though they produce perfectly acceptable prints)
  • Anything over ISO 400 of very limited use due to noise and blurred detail
  • Occasional highlight clipping and fringing in JPEGs
  • Some corner-softness
Old 11th July 2008, 07:11   #2617
Senior - BHPian

I had thought about p80, but its performance is too slow to be able to capture those magical spontaneous moments so i left it out. and in shootout versus fujifilm s8100fd it looses out quite substantially

I have been going through various websites and forums regarding each camera but everything i decide on one, i get some disadvantage about it that is not suitable to me. That is why i got even more confused.

I was atleast able to bring down to three choices - olympus 570 (great features, good quality images, 20x opt zoom, above average response), sony h50(great quality images, high iso capability, 15x only, fast response), fujifilm s8100fd (good manual control, control over shutter speed, 18x, good quality images, good battery life).

canon s5 has only 12x zoom, so less interested and its on slow side. and i am not too sure about buying a panasonic fz18 as a digital camera as i don't know much about their history in digital camera.
Old 11th July 2008, 07:52   #2618
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
You can't make such assumptions, see what dpreview has to say about FZ18.
Its not an assumption Samurai...just like you read a review, I too read a review and Lumiz FZ18 has been consistently topping the charts...Best ultra zoom of 2007:

Best Cameras of 2007 - Digital Cameras - Cameras - Technology Reviews - washingtonpost.com

Last edited by gopz : 11th July 2008 at 08:00.
Old 11th July 2008, 08:05   #2619
Senior - BHPian

Besides the fact that the Panny is a superzoom, the s5 might be the winner out of those two.
Old 11th July 2008, 08:28   #2620
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramki067 View Post
Guys i've ordered the below package. I don't know the SD card or the charger brand its a whole package. I still haven't got it but ordered and will get delivered next week to my friend in US i shall get once he comes back this month end!

Amazon.com: Canon PowerShot A580 8MP Digital Camera + 2GB Accessory Kit: Electronics

Please provide your opinions about this whole package.

Thanks,
RAmki.
Guys, can you please provide your opinions on this . Thanks.
Old 11th July 2008, 08:35   #2621
Senior - BHPian

hey gopz, that of 2007, right now in mid of 2008, more ultrazoom cameras have been added, like olympus sp 570 with 20x, fujifillm s8100fd with IS, so the competition have heated up and what might be true for 2007, may not hold true for 2008. It not like panasonic is not a good camera, its a worthy camera for its price and features but others are still not far behind.

But guys, i still haven't got ur opinions on which one should suit my needs best. Please let me know about it.

Thanks
Old 11th July 2008, 08:48   #2622
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopz View Post
Its not an assumption Samurai...just like you read a review,
But there is a difference, I was referring to dpreview's review.

Anyway, sorry about that. I reacted looking at your best image comments since it is impossible to tag that term to any ultra-zoom or ultra-compact. I myself got a Lumix FX-35 last week, but I knew the image quality was so-so even before I bought it. It comes with the territory for UZoom and UCompact cameras.

It is better to rely on reviews from independent camera reviewing sites like dpreview, camera labs, imaging-resource, etc. Other sources (magazines and newspaper sites) usually are not that accurate.
Old 11th July 2008, 11:36   #2623
Senior - BHPian

You will find that all of these review sites have their share of lovers and haters. I would say read up ALL the independent reviews that you can, and also read up the various user opinions. Net Result = You would have now confused yourself even further! At which time you will say "to hell with it" and buy what you always wanted to buy in the first place, or pick up what you feel the 'majority' has done, or drop the idea all together
Old 11th July 2008, 12:08   #2624
BHPian

Bought a new camera ....

I rediscovered my old hobby of photography with some gusto late last year. I quickly plumbed the limitations of my D40 and was scouting around for an upgrade in a few short months (looking through posts on this thread from April might throw up some details). After pondering over options from Canon and Olympus, I decided to stick to Nikon. Unfortunately, Nikon's low-mid lineup consisted of the D80 with upgrades rumoured to be imminent. I decided to bide my time and make do with a used D70 - something that allowed me use a wider lens set than the D40 would

Time passed and I was happy with my decision whilst eagerly awaiting the D90. My lens collection grew and I began to get in touch with my old skills and also begin to understand the new digital only tweaks. June arrives and I get an unexpected financial windfall. Like most such gains, I decide to spend this one too. However, the D90 hasnt arrived and my lens needs are limited.

There is a ray of hope however with an imminent announcement from Nikon. The announcement comes in the form of a D700, but still no D90. I realise that even if it is announced in a couple of months, availability on the D90 would remain limited for some time, . So I look to the more expensive line - the D200 and the D300. The choice is to spend the entire budget on the camera or get a slightly cheaper camera with a UWA lens (something still missing in my bag).

After a few nights thinking things over, I am as confused as ever. So finally I take the money in cash and go to my favourite camera store with a view to deciding there. I spend half an hour playing with each the D200 while the shopkeeper arranges for a D300 for me. I'm pretty convinced that the D200 is the camera for me and that I should spend the extra money on the lens. Then the D300 comes. One look through the viewfinder and I'm hooked as I get reminded of the bright viewfinders of my old film cameras. The WA gets forgotten for the moment, as does the D200 as I spend my entire budget for the D300 (with an extra battery). I'm reasonably sure I'm going to miss the UWA, but that can be remedied at a later date.

p.s. lets see how long this one lasts before I start hankering for a full frame .....
Old 11th July 2008, 12:39   #2625
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations Jaibir!! Thats an awesome weapon you have there!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks