Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2008, 00:52   #2701
BHPian

I finally bought the Fujifilm Finepix S5800 from ebay on Sunday. The camera was delivered to me yesterday. It's a 8MP compact camera with 10x optical zoom. I think it should do well for a starter like me.
Attached Thumbnails
The Digital Camera Thread: Questions, discussions, etc.-dsc00006.jpg  

The Digital Camera Thread: Questions, discussions, etc.-dsc00005.jpg  

Old 7th August 2008, 19:36   #2702
Team-BHP Support

hey guys. my dad finally picked up the D300 and got a 50mm 1:1.8 D nikkor lens free with it. which is the next lens we should pick up? a lens which will be good for normal shooting.
Old 7th August 2008, 20:47   #2703
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
hey guys. my dad finally picked up the D300 and got a 50mm 1:1.8 D nikkor lens free with it. which is the next lens we should pick up? a lens which will be good for normal shooting.
How much do you want to spend? I presume you want a general purpose zoom? The do-it-all lens from Nikon is the 18-200 DX VR - massive zoom range with vibration reduction. It costs about 32,000 rupees in Singapore or India grey mkt. Its younger brother is the 18-135 DX, which costs about 15,000 rupees, I think. No VR. Even cheaper is the 18-55 DX - about 8,000 to 6,000 depending on whether you get the VR versiion or the one without. This lens can be coupled with the 55-200, which with VR costs about 15,000. I don't know if they still make the non-VR version. If they do it'll be cheaper. There is also the 17-55/2.8 DX, which is pro glass.
Old 7th August 2008, 22:07   #2704
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabret00the View Post
I finally bought the Fujifilm Finepix S5800 from ebay on Sunday. The camera was delivered to me yesterday. It's a 8MP compact camera with 10x optical zoom. I think it should do well for a starter like me.
Its an extremely powerful camera. Do explore all its features. How much did it cost via ebay?
Old 7th August 2008, 22:18   #2705
BHPian

Finally Bought Canon S5IS

Hello Motorheads ,

Today I Finally picked Canon S5IS with Bill and warranty . I was planning to pick it from quite sometime now, I was Interested in S3IS but then it is discontinued so Finally picked S5IS . I think it will keep a novice like me happy for quite sometime .
I Bought it from Das Studio CP. Got a 2 GB Memory Card free and 4 Rechargable Battery along with the Battery charger is given by shopkeeper as freebie.

Thank You all for your valuable advice and suggestions.

Regards
Prashant
Old 7th August 2008, 23:25   #2706
Senior - BHPian

Guys, i am planning to buy a compact camera for my Dad when i travel to USA next week. Any recommendations?

I have set my eyes on Sony Cybershot DSP-W300 13.5 MP camera. Prices are starting at $300. Memory card (Memory stick) and pouch are costing another $40. Any other alternatives at a better price?

Old 10th August 2008, 17:51   #2707
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post
Yes, all made in japan, with bill and international warranty for most of the brand.

In most of the site, price are bit less but they do not give that 10% discount for custom free shops etc.
Ok some correction on my last statement, not all are made in Japan and International warranty in large stores are limited to Olympus and Pentax, where its there on more brands in small shops in Akihabara.

Last two weekends I visited Labi, Bic Camera, Yodabashi and small stores in and around Akihabara. and finally settled for Olympus SP560-UZ. I had option of SP-570UZ but its very heavy and 560 is good enough for me.

Its made in korea and with International warranty.

Bought it from Labi, which has the lowest price and good deals, and you can use the point earned at the same time, not on next purchase(as in other stores).

Cost 31000 Yen and 4600 yen discount(of which I can anything from store) : So effective price

26400 Yen, and at current conversion rate : 10060 Rs., hope its not bad?

I missed this camera when I went to Mount Fuji this saturday. Will use it next weekend for my trip to Osaka.

Last edited by rkbharat : 10th August 2008 at 18:08.
Old 10th August 2008, 18:06   #2708
Senior - BHPian

Some pics of the cam

The Digital Camera Thread: Questions, discussions, etc.-dscn2177.jpg

The Digital Camera Thread: Questions, discussions, etc.-dscn2178.jpg
Old 11th August 2008, 00:42   #2709
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Its an extremely powerful camera. Do explore all its features. How much did it cost via ebay?
Yup I could figure that out by this time...hence I'am currently going through the manual to understand the huge list of features that the camera sports...it cost me Rs.7375 (Offer price: Rs.7000 + Bill & Warranty: Rs.875) at ebay.

@ rkbharat: Amazing buy dude...really awesome camera.

Last edited by sabret00the : 11th August 2008 at 00:45.
Old 11th August 2008, 00:56   #2710
BHPian

I have Nikon D60 with 18-55 VR lens, I want to go for zoom lens for wildlife photography, which one should I go for?and which make? Nikkor itself or should I try Sigma or Tamron?
Old 11th August 2008, 10:23   #2711
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romyeo4u View Post
I have Nikon D60 with 18-55 VR lens, I want to go for zoom lens for wildlife photography, which one should I go for?and which make? Nikkor itself or should I try Sigma or Tamron?
The answer to that depends largely on your budget and what kind of conditions you plan to shoot in. In general wildlife lenses need to be pretty long (400mm or so), have a reasonably fast aperture and fast focus speed. The problem is that most lenses that meet all those criteria would be too expensive. In your case, there is the additional constraint of lenses with an in built motor (AF-S, HSM etc). VR is also a nice-to-have for most tele's.

In general, at the 10k budget range, try the Nikon 55-200 VR or Sigma 70-300 APO (if you can find the HSM version, 11k or so i think). At the 20k price range, try the Nikon 70-300 VR. At under 10k (7 or so) try the Sigma/Tamron 70-300's (HSM/ autofocus motor versions). The introduction of HSM (by Sigma) and autofocus motor (by tamron) in these lenses is a recent phenomenon and might not be easily available yet.

If you are looking to spend well above 20k, there are options from Sigma going up to 400-500mm in the 30-40k bracket. Above that is the Nikon 300 f/4 AF-S at around 48k (add a 1.4 teleconverter and it becomes a 420/5.6)
Old 11th August 2008, 13:26   #2712
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satish_appasani View Post
Guys, i am planning to buy a compact camera for my Dad when i travel to USA next week. Any recommendations?

I have set my eyes on Sony Cybershot DSP-W300 13.5 MP ...
Anything but! Sony compact cameras have the uncanny habit of self-inflicting damage on the lens motor mechanism, the repair of which costs as much as the new camera.

There are plenty of really good compacts from Panasonic, Nikon, Canon, Olympus, ... read up on the discussions on this thread for the model numbers.

Avoid the very high MP cameras, since the price/performance/utility for your Dad will not be good - the optimum is about 6MP.

Do consider usable options, reliability and ease of use, not features that he will have any use for and may be a botheration. For example, a camera that accepts ordinary AA cells will be of far more utility than a camera which needs to be charged to be used. A direct view cable to TV is much more practical fun than a wireless LAN connection.

There will be plenty of options in the $300 price band - check out the deals online on Best Buy and such stores.
Old 11th August 2008, 13:50   #2713
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post
... finally settled for Olympus SP560-UZ ...
... 26400 Yen, and at current conversion rate : 10060 Rs., hope its not bad?
Bad? Super, Rajiv, you have got a great deal on a great camera.

If you are in Osaka next weekend, go to Kyoto, a short train ride away. A whole day is insufficient for Kyoto. Take a day bus trip - starts right in front of the Kyoto station: Golden Pavillion, Kyoto-jo, Daitokuji temple complex and much more - fantastic photo opportunities, read up on the net. I had posted a couple of photos a while back in the non-auto images thread.

Also, Aug 13-17 is the O-bon festival days in the Kansai region: people display their family heirlooms in the living room and anyone can go in to appreciate it (don't forget your appreciative oohs and aahs!). There is also a cart procession in the evening, similar to the temple cart / chariot festivals in India. Central Kyoto virtually becomes a walking zone with thousands of people milling around.

Happy (photo) shooting!
Old 11th August 2008, 21:37   #2714
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashant.dinkar View Post
Hello Motorheads ,

Today I Finally picked Canon S5IS with Bill and warranty . I was planning to pick it from quite sometime now, I was Interested in S3IS but then it is discontinued so Finally picked S5IS . I think it will keep a novice like me happy for quite sometime .
I Bought it from Das Studio CP. Got a 2 GB Memory Card free and 4 Rechargable Battery along with the Battery charger is given by shopkeeper as freebie.

Thank You all for your valuable advice and suggestions.

Regards
Prashant
How much did you get the S5 for.
I picked up the same for 19300 (with bill and 2 years warranty) including a 2 GB card. Dint get the chargeable batteries though. They are available in palika for 600 along with the charger.
Old 12th August 2008, 00:06   #2715
BHPian

Guys i have a problem with my sony cyber shot DSC-T20.i purchased it in chennai grey market.the problem is lens vibration it is a manufacturing defect and sony usa has announced it.but sony india is asking for a bill for repairing it .what to do can some help.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks