Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2007, 01:59   #1
BHPian

Help With Speakers & Amplifier/ AV Receiver

I recently bought a Philips DVD player DVP3146x/94 & conected it to my ancient Akai CRT TV.
The player has a right & a left audio output but the TV has only 1 input (but 2 speakers) so 1 jack is hanging loose behind the TV.
Is there any Y-connector available which could be used here & would this result in any improvement in sound?
Since the TV speakers are fairly ordinary, I would like to buy new ones. Due to space constraints, I am only looking at 2.0 (maybe the Audio Engine A2) or 2.1 (maybe the Altec Lansing MX5021).
Can I connect these directly to the DVD player & get decent sound?
Will the sound quality improve if the speakers are connected via a stereo amplifier?
What additional improvement will there be if I use an AV receiver instead of the stereo amplifier?
Finally, are pre-recorded audio DVDs available in India?
Sorry for the barrage of stupid questions & thanks in advance.
Old 21st November 2007, 09:21   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nura View Post
I recently bought a Philips DVD player DVP3146x/94 & conected it to my ancient Akai CRT TV.
The player has a right & a left audio output but the TV has only 1 input (but 2 speakers) so 1 jack is hanging loose behind the TV.
Is there any Y-connector available which could be used here & would this result in any improvement in sound?
Since the TV speakers are fairly ordinary, I would like to buy new ones. Due to space constraints, I am only looking at 2.0 (maybe the Audio Engine A2) or 2.1 (maybe the Altec Lansing MX5021).
Can I connect these directly to the DVD player & get decent sound?
Will the sound quality improve if the speakers are connected via a stereo amplifier?
What additional improvement will there be if I use an AV receiver instead of the stereo amplifier?
Finally, are pre-recorded audio DVDs available in India?
Sorry for the barrage of stupid questions & thanks in advance.
I dont think you can improve the sound on your akai TV whatever you might do to it. A simple solution is what you have in mind, get a 2.1 & the quality of sound improves dramatically.
Yes, they can be connected directly to the DVD player.
Most 2.1 systems are powered, there is no need for an amp.
Connecting a stereo amp or an AV receiver involves matching them with the right speakers too, of course they would sound a lot better than a simple 2.1.
You do not need an AV receiver unless you are thinking of a HT setup.

AFAIK, audio DVDs are not available here in India

Last edited by esteem_lover : 21st November 2007 at 09:22.
Old 21st November 2007, 09:43   #3
Senior - BHPian

What Doc? Hertz ICE but 2.1 IHE?
Just kidding, no offense.
A 2.1 would definitely give you better results than your present setup. But for best results, nothing beats the stereo amp/AVR.
For Altec Lansing, try Knoware near Priya cinema.
I think I saw some audio DVDs at Fancy. Don't know if those were genuine or fakes.
Old 21st November 2007, 11:52   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Hi nura,
For the time being till you buy a good setup: Considering that your TV has a mono input, so go to audio settings in the DVD player and select "Mono" as the audio output. This way, you would get a mixed output on both channels and won't lose any sound.
And in case you are considering getting a stereo amp, do not forget to listen to Norge before taking any decision. They have got very good reviews in AV Max...and are comparable in SQ to foreign brands costing twice as much.
Old 21st November 2007, 12:17   #5
Senior - BHPian

Doc, you are getting into real dangerous financial territory with the huge range of audio options you are considering ! Y-connector to AVR !!

Do you have any budget range in mind?

The cheapest option would be to go for a 2.1 setup. You will get decent sound but it can be bettered a LOT more with a dedicated amp/AVR. I temporarily run my PlayStation2 this way. The audio is connected to the 2.1 and the video jack to the TV. The 2.1 is of a local make and had cost me 1500/- 2 yrs back.

Do you have space to keep the additional stereo amp/AVR? If so, I would recommend going for a HT package. Something like the one @razor bought recently. Onkyo 7.1 for 20K. You can look for a basic 5.1 satellite system. Stash away the rear speakers (even the centre if space is constraint). You may not be using all the speakers but at least end up with a proper receiver and matched speakers - resulting in a lot of flexibility in future.
Old 22nd November 2007, 01:47   #6
BHPian

Thanks Esteem Lover, Shuvd, Anuragn & Shuvc for your suggestions.
I had mentioned the Audio Engine A2 & the Altec Lansing MX5021 speakers. Which other speakers below 10K would you recommend & would these have good quality crossovers? Due to lack of space & reluctance to run wires all over the room, I am compelled to think of 2.0 & 2.1 systems only.
Is it possible to get a decent 2-channel stereo amplifier for 10K? Which models would you recommend? Also, how would such an amplifier be wired to a 2.1 so that the sattelites are driven by the external amplifier & the sub by its inbuilt one? Would appreciate your comments on the Pioneer Elite A-35R amplifier, whose specifications are here Pioneer Electronics - Sound. Vision. Soul
Old 22nd November 2007, 08:49   #7
Senior - BHPian

a stereo amp will have only 2 channels or some amps have 2 sets of 2 channels. i don't think you will get a good result wiring those satellite speakers to this amp. you could invest in a good 2.1 with 30x2 RMS for your budget. something like the JBL Creature if you like the spacey looks

Old 22nd November 2007, 11:21   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
Do you have space to keep the additional stereo amp/AVR? If so, I would recommend going for a HT package. Something like the one @razor bought recently. Onkyo 7.1 for 20K. You can look for a basic 5.1 satellite system. Stash away the rear speakers (even the centre if space is constraint). You may not be using all the speakers but at least end up with a proper receiver and matched speakers - resulting in a lot of flexibility in future.
Actually it's a 6.1 setup. I would tend to agree here with shuvc. Keeping possible future upgrades in mind, would recommend you get a good AV rcvr (5.1/6.1/7.1), and add the speakers gradually.
Old 22nd November 2007, 17:51   #9
BHPian

Quote:
I had mentioned the Audio Engine A2 & the Altec Lansing MX5021 speakers. Which other speakers below 10K would you recommend & would these have good quality crossovers? Due to lack of space & reluctance to run wires all over the room, I am compelled to think of 2.0 & 2.1 systems only.
With the risk of sounding like a broken record, can I suggest SWANS from Hivi? The audiophile M200 monitors costs below $200 and is perfect choice for a 2.0 system.

Quote:
Is it possible to get a decent 2-channel stereo amplifier for 10K? Which models would you recommend? Also, how would such an amplifier be wired to a 2.1 so that the sattelites are driven by the external amplifier & the sub by its inbuilt one?
Pulz had a few home stereo amps at 6-9k range, not sure if they still make them. I have a Torvin 50+50 amp that I bought for 6k in 2000. Even a Yamaha RX-396 is listed at 13k, should be 10k-ish now since the newer model is in the market.

Unless highend, the 2.1 systems may not allow external speaker level input into the satellites. But if you get a 2.1 where satellites are hooked by +/- wires (and not stereo jacks), your stereo amp can drive the satellite speakers directly. For the sub take the fixed line out of the amp (most amps will have a line out for sure). As E_L said, there are some amps with 2 sets of stereo outs, in that case you can buy all passive components. But I would recommend a pair of monitors - compact, no amps, no dangling wires. Qed.
Old 23rd November 2007, 00:57   #10
BHPian

Thanks for all the suggestions. I guess I need to research them a bit & then come back for more advice. Does anyone have an opinion on Sonodyne amplifiers & speakers?
Old 23rd November 2007, 08:30   #11
Senior - BHPian

I don't think they are available anymore, correct me if i am wrong here. When they were available, my limited hearing sense tells me they were pretty good.
Old 23rd November 2007, 08:41   #12
Senior - BHPian

Sonodynes are pretty good. They had a line of active floor standers. Was very impressive. They have both stereo and multi channel amplifiers in their current line up. I liked their speakers too(not the aluminum ones though).
Linky: Home Audio
Old 23rd November 2007, 08:47   #13
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the link shuvd.
Old 23rd November 2007, 11:50   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvd View Post
Sonodynes are pretty good. They had a line of active floor standers. Was very impressive. They have both stereo and multi channel amplifiers in their current line up. I liked their speakers too(not the aluminum ones though).
Linky: Home Audio
However, from what the guy at Japonica (HT shop in Cal) said Sonodynes aren't as good as they once were. But, as always, trust your ears! Take a demo and decide for yourself. They aren't cheap though. And you may find other, better options at that price.
Old 28th November 2007, 22:57   #15
BHPian

Is it possible to get a decent av receiver which has component video outs (hope to upgrade my tv too, later) & 5.1 speakers (including 2 floor-standing ones) in a budget of 30-35K? Would be extremely grateful for brand names & model numbers.
Would all the speakers in the 5.1 be passive?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks