Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2007, 15:55   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manziee_crusier View Post
I was in your situvation few years back.If you have any frd in US or ur planning to go to US.Try to get Onkyo.That is best value for money.Buy your speakes separate.I can't recommend speakes with out knowing ur requirments.But you can get descent one's from polkaudio,Wharfdale ,tannoy etc.
If you wanna understand tech:
Pls refer Car Audio Installation and home audio selection guide

Great place to start and work on
Thanks. I agree that Onkyo is really really good! Better than a lot of more expensive stuff. Btw ..how much would a standalone Onkyo audio reciever cost? (i know i need ONLY a CD player..but just for knowing sake) And do they sell the recievers seprately in India...like the CV 515? (Flying Bong..?)

Navin Sir, ROC... any suggestions for a good budget CD player?

Elito

Last edited by Elito11 : 28th November 2007 at 15:58.
Old 28th November 2007, 16:07   #32
BHPian

Onkyo sell some of their good models here in India. check
ONKYO SIGHT & SOUND - INDIA

The highly rated TX-SR605 sells for about 25k here.
Old 28th November 2007, 17:25   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Basically any CD/DVD player has two sections... one is the transport which contains the drive/lens etc and the other section is the one that converts the digital signal into analog so that it can be fed to an amplifier.

The trouble with the cheaper units is that the DAC section is severely compromised. There are tonnes of different DAC chips available right from the el cheapo like the Crystal CS4382 (less than a dollar) to the uber expensive and now phased out Burr Brown PCM1704.

With the DAC, one needs a very good power supply, a high quality clock generator and finally good electronics(read good capacitors) for the output stage alongwith a well designed circuit on a high quality PCB. A standalone DAC if designed without any compromises can cost a bomb. Even the entry level ones would be 300-400$. In my DAC, the toroidal transformer itself weighs more than 3 kilos.

Obviously the DAC sections of a cheapo dvd player have been paid scant attention and are severely compromised upon as they are meant to be connected to consumer speakers and not high quality ones.
Thank you for the brief and simple explaination but is it not better to eliminate the DAC altogether by using digital output like S-PDIF with digital speakers so that the orignal signal remains the way it is throughout.
Old 28th November 2007, 18:18   #34
Senior - BHPian

By doing that all you are doing is moving the digital to analog conversion to the digital speaker which may have an even more compromised DAC than the DAC section of the CD player.

The best solution is to have a high end CD player which does not compromise on either the transport or the digital to analog conversion or have a separate transport and a DAC connected by SPDIF or any such interface.

@Elito11: What is your budget for the budget cd player . By the stereophile definition, a budget component is 1000$ or less.

Last edited by reignofchaos : 28th November 2007 at 18:19.
Old 28th November 2007, 19:10   #35
BHPian

Quote:
@Elito11: What is your budget for the budget cd player . By the stereophile definition, a budget component is 1000$ or less.
ROC ur a bad bad man!

See A5 are expected to cost me 15-16K. So going by that my CD player + wires budget is 10k MAX

Now u may exercise ur demons.......

Elito
Old 28th November 2007, 19:14   #36
BHPian

Quote:
By doing that all you are doing is moving the digital to analog conversion to the digital speaker which may have an even more compromised DAC than the DAC section of the CD player.

The best solution is to have a high end CD player which does not compromise on either the transport or the digital to analog conversion or have a separate transport and a DAC connected by SPDIF or any such interface.

What,can't the digital speakers use the digital signal directly if not why and then what advantage does one gain by using them?
Old 28th November 2007, 19:29   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revvedup View Post
What,can't the digital speakers use the digital signal directly if not why and then what advantage does one gain by using them?
I think you are missing the point that either through Digital speakers or a DAC... the conversion is STILL taking place. There would be no 'directly' here as after all the final product is coming through Analog!
Just my two cents.

Also this may be of help. Digital speakers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Elito

Last edited by Elito11 : 28th November 2007 at 19:30.
Old 28th November 2007, 20:50   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elito11 View Post
ROC ur a bad bad man!

See A5 are expected to cost me 15-16K. So going by that my CD player + wires budget is 10k MAX

Now u may exercise ur demons.......

Elito
i got a cambridge audio 340c for about 13k which is semi decent
Old 28th November 2007, 23:46   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottle View Post
i got a cambridge audio 340c for about 13k which is semi decent
Typically bottle! Going by the reviews its anything but semi-decent!

13K seems a little over budget..where did you get these from? and also what is the rest of your setup!

Thanks

Elito
Old 29th November 2007, 01:10   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Typically bottle! Going by the reviews its anything but semi-decent!

13K seems a little over budget..where did you get these from? and also what is the rest of your setup!

Thanks

Elito
hehehe its really good actually much better than the marantz cd5001 priced at 15k but i find it just very slightly cold/lifeless with my speakers.

i got it from the bangalore CA dealer. (13k hit to my wallet because of bad roc ) . you can check cambridge audio's webbie to find out a dealer near you. the price was same in bangalore and chennai. mrp is 14.5k

am using a pair of monitor audio b1 bookshelves and a marantz pm4001 amp

Last edited by bottle : 29th November 2007 at 01:12.
Old 29th November 2007, 01:14   #41
Senior - BHPian

^^He says its semi decent cos he has an external dac which is way way better... . Its very good for the price you pay. If you want something cheaper, check the sonodyne cd player.
Old 29th November 2007, 01:21   #42
Senior - BHPian

that characteristic is there both with / without the DAC. bit laid back i guess

Last edited by bottle : 29th November 2007 at 01:30.
Old 29th November 2007, 02:02   #43
Senior - BHPian

hi guys,

just wanted some info about recievers/amps.. bascially i want something to which i can connect my dvd player, vcr, worldspace reciver, tv and radio.. ie something to which i can connect all the above and which controls/send the output of the sound to a single set of speakers

Last edited by aadix : 29th November 2007 at 02:03.
Old 29th November 2007, 02:07   #44
Senior - BHPian

Any integrated amp will have multiple inputs and will allow you to do that.
Old 29th November 2007, 02:15   #45
BHPian

Nad?

Quote:
Navin Sir, ROC... any suggestions for a good budget CD player?
Have you considered the NAD CD players? The CD521BEE is available here for ~15k and online for anything like $75-150. It is a great entry level player. I have auditioned it with Marantz PE amp and B&W floor standers and discovered new things in my regular tracks.

Last edited by determinus : 29th November 2007 at 02:18.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks