Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2017, 21:07   #271
BHPian

Re: The Headphones Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by --gKrish-- View Post
I bought a Behringer HPM1000 last month and is quite happy with it.

Moderate bass, but clear mids and highs. Noise insulation is good considering it is over the ear design. Insulation is good enough to block the noise of low dB like fans, ambient noise indoors etc. for outdoors look for other options. And another big thing that made me opt for this headphone was because of its sturdy build and 3 years warranty. The fit and finish of the newer ones which is available now is a bit less than the earlier ones made in Germany, sound is same though. Fiddling with the EQ can help you get more bass without jarring or loss of highs, it is quite flexible. It also comes with 3.5mm to 3/4" adapter.

Check the Senheisser HD 202 also. Again, not the heavy bass type but comfortable listening without fatigue.

Both are within your budget at around Rs. 1700.

I bought my pair from headphonezone.com , it took some time to arrive (almost a week) but packing was good and they have a wide range of options and a lot of info too.

PS : Keep Sony out of the list. Sony used to be in my good books, but nowadays even genuine ones fail in a short period of usage. Two pairs I bought last year failed in a matter of months without extensive or rough usage.
Thanks for your suggestion. But im looking for earphones and not headphones (On ear).
Old 29th May 2017, 21:52   #272
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokztar View Post
Thanks for your suggestion. But im looking for earphones and not headphones (On ear).
My bad...

I've not used any Earbuds priced above 1k. Never felt comfortable wearing them and have not used any for years now. But happened to listen to a philips bud. Forgot the name but it was more comfy than what I had expected. And sounded better than the ones that used to come with the ipod shuffle. Buds have become alien stuff to me, Im sorry that I cannot suggest any.

Last edited by --gKrish-- : 29th May 2017 at 21:59.
Old 29th May 2017, 23:03   #273
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokztar View Post
You can check out this list from Head-fi for earbuds:

https://www.head-fi.org/f/showcase/c...y/earbuds.290/
Old 30th May 2017, 10:30   #274
BHPian

Thanks guys...Seems with my criteria the only well known options are the Sennheiser MX X70 Series.
Old 26th June 2017, 11:06   #275
Distinguished - BHPian

I wanted to upgrade into the audiophile class after using entry level models like Creative EP630, Senheiser CX 180, SoundMagic E10, AudioTechnica CLR100 etc.

The AudioTechnica was a clear mismatch to my listening preference where it was so good on vocals but fared poor on the bass.

Had shortlisted One More Triple driver & RHA MA 750. Both turns out to be very different from my preference though these are supposedly bassy earphone. I kind of thank me that i didn't purchase it without auditioning. Finally, liked the V Moda Forza Metallo which suited my listening preference (tight bass). Honestly, with my iPod touch, I couldn't find a lot of difference between the Creative 630 / Sennheiser CX 180 / JBL 100 TA that I have used Vs the Forza and it retails @ 12,000/-.

Is it that the iPod touch couldn't bring the best out of the Forza?? Anyone has a recommendation on a product similar on the imaging to the above listed earphones?

PS: I listen to regional songs (melodoius & fast numbers), English hit charts, instrumental etc.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 26th June 2017 at 11:08.
Old 26th June 2017, 11:28   #276
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Is it that the iPod touch couldn't bring the best out of the Forza??
I can't comment on the V Moda you are looking at, however, I've heard a first generation Crossfade and it is outstanding in sound quality and comfort. Yes; it is a on the bass heavy side but tight, well defined bass.

The iPod isn't the greatest for sound quality but I won't call it bad either. I would also not spend too much money on headphones or earphones if the source is going to be an ipod. It does not support any form of high resolution digital audio files and is limited to aac or high high quality mp3. Except for the instrumental genre you mention, I doubt if any of the others even figure when it comes to recording quality. I'd recommend you download a high bit rate audio file from itunes (pay for it) and then do an assessment.

The trouble with digital audio is their source. There are lots of ways you can get digital audio downloaded but we don't know their true source. Were they recorded on a analog medium and then converted to digital? This is not a bad thing but it has to be done right and only a good sound engineer knows how to do this. Was the entire mastering done in the digital domain? We don't know any of this for the free material we download. Even the one's that claim to be flac. You can easily convert a mp3 to a flac but that is pointless.

Do remember that when you say audiophile class, the ipod was never meant to be one. You might want to consider switching over to a Sony or Onkyo player if you want to get anywhere remotely Audiophile.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 26th June 2017 at 11:32.
Old 26th June 2017, 13:48   #277
Senior - BHPian

Got myself One More Piston Fit blue colored earphones. I am a sucker for budget earphones and these will replace my soundmagic E18s which were very nice but fell victim to poor build quality and the right ear piece somehow screwed itself loose and won't fall back in place. Will try to stick it, but that is an errand that I have postponed to a future date.

Meanwhile the Pistons feel a lot airy compared to the E18s that were a lot more muddled and have rolled off highs that makes them easy to listen for longer durations. Hopefully they open up more with further use. Build seems a lot more durable with thicker wires. The earpieces are angled at 45 degrees which helps in quickly finding a comfortable fit. Haven't used the mic yet to comment on voice quality.

Last edited by SPARKled : 26th June 2017 at 14:01.
Old 26th June 2017, 16:25   #278
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post

The iPod isn't the greatest for sound quality but I won't call it bad either. I would also not spend too much money on headphones or earphones if the source is going to be an ipod. It does not support any form of high resolution digital audio files and is limited to aac or high high quality mp3.

The trouble with digital audio is their source.
Do remember that when you say audiophile class, the ipod was never meant to be one. You might want to consider switching over to a Sony or Onkyo player if you want to get anywhere remotely Audiophile.
Humph! Speak for yourself. The mighty iPod supports ALAC Sorry but went through hell few years back converting all FLACs to ALACs just for playback on the iPod classic connected to the car stereo

Since then changed to Android and the ease of direct playback of FLACs. Have the v20 now and it's a beast playing 24bit FLACs. Got the Onkyo remastered collection of Iron Maiden and oh man it's just bliss.

For high-res FLACs, you can check out HDTracks.net.

A phone with a portable amp would be best for audio bliss.
Old 27th June 2017, 06:02   #279
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Humph! Speak for yourself. For high-res FLACs, you can check out HDTracks.net.
I am aware of HD Tracks, Qobuz and a few others. I was trying to educate the FM about high res audio. Clearly, he did not seem to know there is limited scope with an iPod.
Old 27th June 2017, 07:30   #280
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
I am aware of HD Tracks, Qobuz and a few others. I was trying to educate the FM about high res audio. Clearly, he did not seem to know there is limited scope with an iPod.
May not be an audiophile class, but I found a basic Bose sound sport provides a much better listening pleasure as compared to a normal head phone; when paired to a simple 20-25K cell phone.

I use a QC20 along with Moto Z Play for most cases. And am very satisfied with the performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
The mighty iPod supports ALAC. Sorry but went through hell few years back converting all FLACs to ALACs just for playback on the iPod classic connected to the car stereo
For the car its a mix of oversampled MP3 or Apple lossless running on the classic ipod. Work well with Infinity Primus speakers without any amp.

Last edited by ampere : 27th June 2017 at 07:33.
Old 27th June 2017, 21:36   #281
A.R
BHPian

Where do I buy authentic Beats Wireless Studio headphones ear pads? My current set has worn out and need a replacement.
Old 29th June 2017, 19:18   #282
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

....... but if anybody wants a site where everything is wonderful, especially the current flavour of the month: SuperBestAudioFriends.
Thanks for the link, Thad! I joined SBAF!
Finally a place where people call a spade, a spade. Most audiophile forums can be described only with words that would get me banned from here.
Old 7th August 2017, 21:57   #283
BANNED

Hi guys, check out a Video I made about new Sony Headphones I bought.

Old 7th August 2017, 22:21   #284
Senior - BHPian

My 4 to 5 year onld Brainwavz M2 is starting to have cable issues. The audio is not affected, but I am afraid that it will snap any time. I want to replace this with another IEM. Not sure on what to buy. I do not want another M2. Are there any recommendations? Ideal IEM should be a step up from M2. The audiosource is from an audiofly DAC and FLAC files played through foobar OR youtube OR any number of movies played through VLC. Occasionally it will be connected to my android phone, so having a mic is a plus, though not a deal breaker.
Old 7th August 2017, 22:41   #285
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
My 4 to 5 year onld Brainwavz M2 is starting to have cable issues. The audio is not affected, but I am afraid that it will snap any time. I want to replace this with another IEM.....
I myself am not a fan of IEMs but if I were to buy a pair it would probably be a Shure. I've heard good things about them and they are pretty robust. I'd say they would be a nice change from the M2.

Most Viewed