Old 12th November 2012, 15:58   #121
BHPian

re: The Headphones Thread

http://articles.economictimes.indiat...otball-academy

how much did you pay for them?
Old 19th November 2012, 20:14   #122
BHPian

Wireless headphones to connect to TV

I'm looking at wireless headphones to be used with my TV. I have zeroed in on a couple of models. Which one would you recommend?

Senn RS 110:

http://www.sennheiserindia.com/india...dphones_504775

Costs ~5.5k

AKG K912

http://www.indiajbl.com/MultimediaDesc.aspx?ID=46

Costs ~5k

I couldn't find many reviews on this particular AKG model. BTW anyone shopped on the online JBL store?
Old 25th November 2012, 21:22   #123
BHPian

Re: Wireless headphones to connect to TV

Any thoughts? Or could you just some alternatives?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBlazer View Post
I'm looking at wireless headphones to be used with my TV. I have zeroed in on a couple of models. Which one would you recommend?

Senn RS 110:

http://www.sennheiserindia.com/india...dphones_504775

Costs ~5.5k

AKG K912

http://www.indiajbl.com/MultimediaDesc.aspx?ID=46

Costs ~5k

I couldn't find many reviews on this particular AKG model. BTW anyone shopped on the online JBL store?
Old 25th December 2012, 23:06   #124
Senior - BHPian

Guys, suggest some good headphones for around 2k. Its for general use- watching movies/listening to songs (no particular genre). Lesser the cost, better it is. I wouldnt mind spending another 500-1000 if there is something extraordinary available.
Old 26th December 2012, 10:28   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post
... good headphones for around 2k. ...
Try the Sennheiser HD202. I tried it out at the headphone shop at Mantri Mall yesterday. This is the kiosk along a wall opposite the elevator bank near Lifestyle on UG. Carry your music player - he has an open demo piece which you can audition. Costs 2.4K.
Old 26th December 2012, 11:45   #126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Try the Sennheiser HD202. I tried it out at the headphone shop at Mantri Mall yesterday. This is the kiosk along a wall opposite the elevator bank near Lifestyle on UG. Carry your music player - he has an open demo piece which you can audition. Costs 2.4K.
Hey, thanks for the reply. Will surely check it out. Does this model have noise cancellation? A friend of mine asked me to get the 300 series. But its too expensive. Is it worth spending close to 5k on it?
Old 26th December 2012, 12:23   #127
BHPian

Any Skull candy users out here? Have heard they are real strong match for the Sennheisers if not better, any reviews for the Hesh 2.0?
Old 26th December 2012, 12:30   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post
... Does this model have noise cancellation? ...
No, it doesn't. Since it has over-the-ear muffs, it is not too bad in rejecting external sound (though I felt like yelling at the lady at the Samsung expo in the lobby area, who was screaming at the top of her voice into the mic).

Noise cancelling ones will cost upwards of 6K, and will need batteries. I haven't found any in Bangalore that I can audition. The ones that I remember from US weren't up to the mark in sound quality.

The HD 3xx series and upwards of Sennheiser, surprisingly, were not as good as the 2xx series (202, 219). I had listened to the Sennheiser 4xx and 5xx 6 months back at the Imagine (Apple) shop in UB City when they had it on display. Unfortunately they remodeled the store after that and are yet to bring out the demo pieces. The RS series is not bad, but not as good as the HD ones.
Old 26th December 2012, 22:53   #129
BHPian

I bought the HD202 in early 2009. I am pretty satisfied with them. They have a longish cord which makes it easy to connect to the lcd to sit back and enjoy.
The model now is HD202 II.
Strangely the cost is the same what i paid then, don't know the difference in specs though.
If spending around 5-6k i'll buy the wireless headphones.

Last edited by k2max6 : 26th December 2012 at 22:56.
Old 27th December 2012, 01:45   #130
BHPian

I am using HD408 for almost a year. Picked it up after listening in Apple Showroom. If you are auditioning it, try the virtual Barbershop audio to see how realistic it can get.
Old 27th December 2012, 03:37   #131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrage View Post
Any Skull candy users out here? Have heard they are real strong match for the Sennheisers if not better, any reviews for the Hesh 2.0?
i have heard Hesh 2.0 a couple of times in store. I must have spent 10-15 minutes listening to various songs they had on offer. For the price, i was disappointed on what it has to offer.

First thing is comfort. I found them very uncomfortable. The headband didn't have cushion, so my head starting hurting after 5 mins.

Sound quality was strictly ok but for the price, i won't compromise on it being ok. I have heard better. The bass is strong but a little muddy. The vocals were flat, clarity was good. The mids were lacking a bit and bass seem to over ride it very easily at times so i thought it was recessed.

Isolation was below average. I have heard better. I was in a store where most things had sounds blaring at high output so i think it is perfect ambiance for real life use.

The plastic casing had me worried. Quality was ok but i am not sure how long will it last the abuse it may get during commutes or at home where it is tossed and turned most of the time. But then, it comes with a lifetime warranty (In USA for sure) so it should be an easy replacement.

I do have to say this though. Compared to what they use to make before, Skullcandy has improved a lot in terms of sound quality and hope they make further advances in build quality too.

My suggestion would be, try audio technica m30 or Koss PortaPro or Panasonic's RP-HTX7 or Sennheiser HD419. You can't go wrong with either of above. I have heard first 3 of above and recommend them.

Last edited by chevelle : 27th December 2012 at 03:42.
Old 27th December 2012, 08:52   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
i have heard Hesh 2.0 a couple of times in store. I must have spent 10-15 minutes listening to various songs they had on offer. For the price, i was disappointed on what it has to offer.

First thing is comfort. I found them very uncomfortable. The headband didn't have cushion, so my head starting hurting after 5 mins.

Sound quality was strictly ok but for the price, i won't compromise on it being ok. I have heard better. The bass is strong but a little muddy. The vocals were flat, clarity was good. The mids were lacking a bit and bass seem to over ride it very easily at times so i thought it was recessed.

Isolation was below average. I have heard better. I was in a store where most things had sounds blaring at high output so i think it is perfect ambiance for real life use.

The plastic casing had me worried. Quality was ok but i am not sure how long will it last the abuse it may get during commutes or at home where it is tossed and turned most of the time. But then, it comes with a lifetime warranty (In USA for sure) so it should be an easy replacement.

I do have to say this though. Compared to what they use to make before, Skullcandy has improved a lot in terms of sound quality and hope they make further advances in build quality too.

My suggestion would be, try audio technica m30 or Koss PortaPro or Panasonic's RP-HTX7 or Sennheiser HD419. You can't go wrong with either of above. I have heard first 3 of above and recommend them.
Hi thanks for the very much in-depth review , i got a good deal for this headphone for around 2.8 K in the US, so i booked it (In India & Dubai, it was retailing close to 4 k). Read a few reviews before buying and they said that for the price (US 45$) nothing comes close, this if coupled with a headphone amp they said had really good output but as you said people were not happy about the plastics & isolation. Since its my first headphone purchase & debate among a few friends said that its better than Sennheiser equivalents i went for it. After a few days of listening in I will definetly try out your suggestions as well, this should give a clear idea on where its lacking. Thanks again !

Last edited by redrage : 27th December 2012 at 08:54.
Old 27th December 2012, 15:23   #133
BHPian

Also consider Audio Technica T-500. Should cost < Rs 5K. Excellent reviews.
Panasonic HTX-7 cans are also getting good reviews. MRP 3999, Online deals should be available for around 3K.
Both of the above are over-the-ear, closed cans.
I am also in the market for headphones, have shortlisted ATs, only audition is pending.
Old 27th December 2012, 17:37   #134
M35
BHPian

Guys I am using a green shade Panasonic HTX-7 since last year. Its pretty good and is very simple but a bit overpriced. I baught it for CNY 500 which is appoximately 4500 INR.
It fits comfortably ,is lightweight and creates a tight seal.I am using it with my iPod Classic and iPhone 4S at times. It is a bit on the louder side but the bass is perfect for me which is tight.
Old 27th December 2012, 23:19   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrage View Post
Hi thanks for the very much in-depth review , i got a good deal for this headphone for around 2.8 K in the US, so i booked it (In India & Dubai, it was retailing close to 4 k). Read a few reviews before buying and they said that for the price (US 45$) nothing comes close, this if coupled with a headphone amp they said had really good output but as you said people were not happy about the plastics & isolation. Since its my first headphone purchase & debate among a few friends said that its better than Sennheiser equivalents i went for it. After a few days of listening in I will definetly try out your suggestions as well, this should give a clear idea on where its lacking. Thanks again !
Having heard quite a few good headphones in $25-$75 range, i can easily say that Hesh 2.0 is nothing close to what other reviews say. But then, if you read these reviews on CNET or Amazon, you are bound to get reviews from non-audiophile (most of the time) who have never heard of brands like AT, Shure, Denon. For them, world of headphones start with Skullcandy at lower range and ends with Dr. Dre Beats at upper end. I do agree that they are an improvement from previous Skullcandy headphones as recently their sound design head was replaced but by no means it has better SQ and sound stage than AT M30 or HTX7.

The good thing about headphones is, what i like, you may not like, so it will depend on individual's hearing. I hope you like it and do keep us updated.

Last edited by chevelle : 27th December 2012 at 23:20.

Most Viewed