Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2014, 21:13   #151
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The Headphones Thread

Guys, I am looking for a pair of headphones, less than 2k in budget. Mic is not needed but I need good bass. Good bass in the sense I need those low notes sound clear and crisp, if not a heavy thump. So ideally it should be able to reproduce sounds as low in frequency as possible. It will be used only in the house and for music. Currently I am looking at the Sennheiser HD 202 II. Is there a product with better bass than this one? From the reviews it looks mixed, since people tell it is good, and some tell it has an overall flat response. I am particularly looking for good bass reproduction. If the bass is too annoying it can always be equalised, but if the headphone doesnt have the capablity to perform at LF, then that is annoying Hence please advise if I can move ahead with buying the HD 202 or look elsewhere. The budget is limited since I use these headphones rarely and have a good set of speakers for both Comp and TV. These headphones will be used with my synthesiser or computer. Hence amplification is again not an issue .
Old 6th May 2014, 21:26   #152
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Guys, I am looking for a pair of headphones, less than 2k in budget. Currently I am looking at the Sennheiser HD 202 II.
I ain't a music buff but after reading a lot of reviews, talking with friends who are into audio fields use Sennheiser HD 202 II. I love the headphones for that budget. It is light and doesn't hurt the ears.

Sound quality and clarity is fantastic along with insulation is worthy. I haven't experienced distortion at higher volumes.

I recommend the Sennheiser else there is something from JBL to offer in this budget.

Anurag.
Old 7th May 2014, 16:38   #153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
please advise if I can move ahead with buying the HD 202 or look elsewhere.
If you need Bass, then you'd be disappointed with 202. I think there is a 434 (not sure) in the similar price range which gives a much better thump but it is a on-ear headphone and not over-the-ear like 202 and might not be comfortable for long duration use.
Old 8th June 2014, 15:23   #154
BHPian

Just ordered the PX 100 ii from Flipkart at 4k. Upgrade from my short lived PX 80 which died of a cable trauma. Was looking at 10-15k range but you have to be a true audiophile to distinguish the signatures of high end stuff.

Thus got myself what is known as an entry point to pro audio world

Will post a short review once i burn them in
Old 19th June 2014, 16:05   #155
BHPian

Confused between Sony MX400 and AT SJ33. After going through the reviews I'm leaning towards SJ33 but want to know if its worth the extra ~700 over the MX400
Old 7th July 2014, 12:33   #156
BHPian

Received my Polk Audio UltraFocus 8000 in the post early last week. I never knew Polk made these beauties up-until my local supermarket started offering it in exchange of certain loyalty points that one'd earn for shopping with them. It took me six good months to earn those 70,000 points and tell you what; those were the longest six months of my life. I am many things but patient

So I started unboxing it while my heart was beating crazy with excitement.

The Headphones Thread-img_3815.jpg

Cocooned in faux leather carry case

The Headphones Thread-img_3816.jpg

Ta da – my precious!

The Headphones Thread-img_3817.jpg

It came with:
A shirt clip
2x aeroplane adaptors
an aux adaptor
2x AAA batteries (since its active noise cancelling headphones)
a Nokia adaptor
a Skype adaptor (apparently there’s a hidden mic somewhere on the headphones as well)
a flat type detachable connection cable (hope it’ll prevent coiling damage to the cable)

The Headphones Thread-img_3818.jpg

The Headphones Thread-img_3819.jpg

I put the headphones on just to feel them, they were super light to begin with and the leather padding around the ears is super soft and comfy. Surprisingly, this sturdy looking headphones did not squeeze my ears at all. These headphones block a fair bit of noise naturally since they're on-ear design but once the noise cancellation feature is turned on (that sliding button on the right ear that emits blue light in the first picture); you're just in your own little bubble. I did not connect the audio cable and just turn the headphones ON and a faint “hiss” disconnected me from the real world. From my understanding, the headphones play an opposite frequency to the ambient noise frequency to dampen the noise. This hissing noise is barely audible when you play the music and I couldn’t figure it out until music went all quiet (gap between the songs).
Connected the cable, added the batteries, plugged it to the phone and hit that triangle button on my iphone's screen – received an eargasm right away! A true aural nirwana it was. Absolutely loved the music through these headphones. Every single instrument in the songs I played was clearly making its presence felt and the music I had been listening to for donkey's years felt different and super-charged. I played hip-hop, Bollywood, trance, lounge and it played all of these genres gracefully. I cranked the volume up and kept going higher til it reached the full whack and at no point it showed any signs of losing its breath. The music just got loud and louder but this baby kept singing sweet, absolutely no distortion but pure bliss.

These headphones allow you to control volume without reaching out to your phone through the left and right control buttons on the right ear. You can play/pause music the same way using the top button. If someone wants to talk to you, you don’t have to take the headphones off. Press the bottom button and it mutes the music for you and amplifies the surrounding voice/noises. Would be helpful in a situation where you’re the subject of a conversation and people around you think you can’t listen to them with them headphones on

The things I didn’t like about these headphones is its dependency on the battery power. It can’t play music without active noise cancelling feature turned ON which relies on battery power. So, if you’re out of battery, you’re out of music. Other than this, the control buttons on the right ear feels like controls on a dessi (cheap indigenous design) device. On a device that carries a value of around $400 (Australian), one would expect top notch quality all around not just the music.

PS: Sorry for the long post, I think I just got carried away haha
Old 7th July 2014, 13:33   #157
gemi_kk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punzabi View Post
I put the headphones on just to feel them, they were super light to begin with and the leather padding around the ears is super soft and comfy.
Would you please update us on which super market offered these headphones for exchange with Loyalty Points

Old 7th July 2014, 14:29   #158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemi_kk View Post
Would you please update us on which super market offered these headphones for exchange with Loyalty Points
Its Coles mate and its Australian
Old 17th July 2014, 03:16   #159
Senior - BHPian

Guys which headphone is available to connect to a cisco phone type jack for voice calls and also for listening to music via bluetooth .Budget is max 2.5K

Thanks
Old 4th September 2014, 15:47   #160
BHPian

Quote:
Just bought myself a Sennheiser HD 202 II from Snapdeal.com for 1920/-
Hello Anurag.

I am planning to buy a headphone under Rs 2000. After reading various reviews in the internet, I plan to finalize Sennheiser HD 202 II. Seeing that you have brought the same some time ago, could you please clear some doubts I have.
  • Some of the reviews in Flipkart and Amazon have mentioned that this headphone is of Supra-Aural (on the ear) rather than Circum-Aural (Over the ear). Which is true?
  • Does is have a mic for internet calls ?
  • How is it holding up after all these time ?

Thanks
Old 8th September 2014, 17:12   #161
Senior - BHPian

I think the HD series is entirely circum-aural and the HD 220 pic definitely looks like one. I use the 280. Excellent quality product. Sennheiser wouldn't put its name on anything that's shoddy quality. Buy it with your eyes closed.
Old 17th October 2014, 10:51   #162
BHPian

For audiophiles ONLY: The world's most expensive pair of headphones

Introducing the Abyss AB-1266, the world's most expensive pair of headphones at $5,500.

http://www.abyss-headphones.com/abyss_ab_1266.html

The story of its development is quite interesting, especially considering the fact that this is the company's FIRST headphone product. You can find a detailed review here.

Any BHPian own a pair?
Old 18th October 2014, 06:30   #163
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

I bought a Sennheiser Around the Ear Headphone set for Rs 698/- on some promotion on Amazon.in - HD 180. Excellent headphones. Great for music or for telephone conversations.

But the best that I have seen so far and owned, are the Acoustic Active Noise Cancellation ones from BOSE - QC15 (Limited Edition Porsche Design the man said, at the BOSE Store in the US).

And the ones my wife has, the BOSE QC 3- on ear Acoustic Active Noise Cancellation ones.

The sheer quality of these headphones makes me feel pleased.

The Sennheiser is used mostly in office for telephone calls and the BOSE are used for all other activities including flying long distance etc...
Old 20th November 2014, 14:58   #164
BHPian

In case people are looking for noise-cancelling headphones, I tried out one from Bose and it is the best I've ever had. This is the new QC-25 model just released earlier this year.

I've written a review at the link below in case someone here is seriously checking it out, since there few of them online at the moment: http://dilinanand.com/2014/11/bose-q...se-cancelling/

I bought mine from the Bose store at Forum Mall Koramangala.

Last edited by di1in : 20th November 2014 at 15:02.
Old 20th November 2014, 16:30   #165
Senior - BHPian

Bose QC-15 is very good in terms of Noise cancelling. But its sound quality isn't the best. The comfort is also very good and one can wear it for a very long period time without feeling its force on the ears.

I own a Klipsch Reference one. It is far better than Bose. It is a normal headphone without any Noise Cancellation.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks