Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2014, 19:49   #166
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)
re: The Headphones Thread

On a recent overseas flight I used the QC 15. There were some people with small squalling kids nearby. I just settled into my seat, plugged in the QC's to the Entertainment system, switched on a movie and boy! What bliss! Complete silence and zero disturbance from annoying co passengers!
One of the nicest things I ever owned.

On the way back, I was sleepy so I just put the QC 15's on, switched them on without plugging into the entertainment and enjoyed the sound of deep silence, all the way home. Went into the land of nod in bare seconds and stayed that way till we landed!

Im sure there must be many brands of headphones which are better, but as of now, to me, these are definitive!
Old 16th January 2015, 23:01   #167
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I bought a Sennheiser Around the Ear Headphone set for Rs 698/- on some promotion on Amazon.in - HD 180. Excellent headphones. Great for music or for telephone conversations.

I ordered a pair of these, as well as a pair of JBL T150 earphones recently. Got the JBL and this was meant for the phone and I am super impressed mainly with the bass. Its like having a Sub on the head.

Coming to the sennheiser, I brought it to use with my synthesiser and I need to carry this on stage frequently. In this process, these headphones get lost, or damaged during transit. Hence I did not want to spend more. I was thinking on the 202 or greater series, but honestly, I dont use these much apart from being on stage, maybe once a week or less than that.

Buying them was a super impulsive decision. Hence now I am wondering if the sound quality isnt bad for the lesser price. I expect a clear sound without any enhanced bass or highs. And are they comfortable for prolonged use? If they arent, I will pass them off as a gift to someone. Since I havent received the S yet, I want some feedback on the product. Pros and cons is highly appreciated. Thanks in advance
Old 20th February 2015, 23:56   #168
BHPian

Sennheiser HD 238 for over 4 years now. They feature an open back, which i prefer over a closed back system. It allows for the sound waves to create a slight feedback enabling a richer sound stage. You can envision the sound distribution from each instrument. If you are a bass lover, these will disappoint you. The sound feedback is rich and slightly warm and tonally balanced. Mind the fact that the open back means sound leakage, so the snorer on the flight next to you can hear you and vice versa. So at best these can be used in a quiet environment. Soft on ear cushioning means that you can listen for hours at an end without any stress whatsoever. In my personal opinion, these cans blow the Bose OE 2 out of the ear! Also a 5 year warranty.
What you'll like-Tonal Clarity even at high playback levels. Sound-Stage reproduction
What you wont-Thin cable, sometimes have to baby it a little (i've steel gripped mine), open back.

On the go-in ear CX 180 nothing-comes close.
Old 22nd February 2015, 02:02   #169
Senior - BHPian

I have been using the Bose QC2 since 2004. The same were replaced with a pair of QC3 under an exchange offer. On my next trip I intend to exchange them yet again going back for the QC2.

The thing is that I prefer the "around the ear" design of the 2s than the "on the ear'" design of the 3.

Whatever the design though, the QC's case never gets taken out of my day bag.
Old 22nd February 2015, 02:46   #170
BHPian

Picked up a new set of cans in Amsterdam, its by a company called Urban Revolt. Closed cans with a detachable cord, great bass and treble. Used to use Alessandro MS1 before this but not any more. Got these new cans for €25.
Old 23rd February 2015, 18:47   #171
BHPian

More than decade ago a salesman at Mustafa, Singapore talked me into buying a Philips "studio reference" headphones. I was surprised how good it sounded, but my cousin visiting me took it away from me asking me to buy another pair for myself. I went back to Mustafa but that model was out of stock and had to settle for something else which I gave away to somebody else in a few days as it did not sound half good as the Philips. Now I own a decade old Philips clarity (Philips SBCHP800) and a new MI Piston. I like the treble of the Philips SBCHP800, but miss the bass. And the MI, is uncomfortable to wear. And the bass varies according to how much u shove it into the canal.

So with the introduction out of the way, can somebody suggest me a decent studio reference headphones? Not very expensive please. Around 3K preferably and max should be 5K if the quality is exceptional. Sound quality and comfort are the asks.

Thanks!
Old 24th February 2015, 18:27   #172
BHPian

I am looking for a new set of headphones for use while running with strong jack else is it possible to repair the jack area?

Somehow all my headsets stop working and have sound coming out of one ear after 6-7 months. This usually happens because of stress put on the headphone jack upon running.
Old 1st March 2015, 09:53   #173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
More than decade ago a salesman at Mustafa, Singapore talked me into buying a Philips "studio reference" headphones. I was surprised how good it sounded, but my cousin visiting me took it away from me asking me to buy another pair for myself. I went back to Mustafa but that model was out of stock and had to settle for something else which I gave away to somebody else in a few days as it did not sound half good as the Philips. Now I own a decade old Philips clarity (Philips SBCHP800) and a new MI Piston. I like the treble of the Philips SBCHP800, but miss the bass. And the MI, is uncomfortable to wear. And the bass varies according to how much u shove it into the canal.

So with the introduction out of the way, can somebody suggest me a decent studio reference headphones? Not very expensive please. Around 3K preferably and max should be 5K if the quality is exceptional. Sound quality and comfort are the asks.

Thanks!
Hi You can try the Audio Technica monitor series of Headphones. My wife gifted me the M20x model 2 weeks back. They sound really good. One thing you will miss is the Bass. But since these are the monitor series, they are supposed to sound the way the song is recorded. Some comments about whether your smart phone is able to provide enough juice to drive it (as the impedence is high). I have tried it with my 5 year old E63 and sounds really good. Listening it through laptop / ipads makes it better. It costs around 3.4 to 3.7 (infibeam with icici coupon code will get it for 3.4 and normally in amazon or flipkart for 3.6 to 3.7k) If you are willing to stretch the budget try to get M30x or if possible M40x.

The main drawback I face is that the cables are not detachable in M20x. And they provide a loooong cable which is difficult to manage.
Also these are not noise cancelling headphones. So you will still hear the flight engine while listening to your music.

But still for 3.5k it is worth.

Barath
Old 3rd March 2015, 17:19   #174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by barathvajan View Post
Hi You can try the Audio Technica monitor series of Headphones. My wife gifted me the M20x model 2 weeks back. They sound really good. One thing you will miss is the Bass. But since these are the monitor series, they are supposed to sound the way the song is recorded. Some comments about whether your smart phone is able to provide enough juice to drive it (as the impedence is high). I have tried it with my 5 year old E63 and sounds really good. Listening it through laptop / ipads makes it better. It costs around 3.4 to 3.7 (infibeam with icici coupon code will get it for 3.4 and normally in amazon or flipkart for 3.6 to 3.7k) If you are willing to stretch the budget try to get M30x or if possible M40x.

The main drawback I face is that the cables are not detachable in M20x. And they provide a loooong cable which is difficult to manage.
Also these are not noise cancelling headphones. So you will still hear the flight engine while listening to your music.

But still for 3.5k it is worth.

Barath
Thanks! So, I would need to find out whether my phone would be able to drive it. My sources would be my Lumia/Oneplus and my Nexus 7.
Old 23rd March 2015, 16:13   #175
Senior - BHPian

I am looking for a fully wireless headset for my TV/gaming console. What options do I have in the low end to mid range price range? Looking for your suggestions.
Old 16th May 2015, 20:11   #176
BHPian

Could anyone please suggest me a good headphones for my iPhone 4S? I would need one with remote control for music and microphone!
Old 16th May 2015, 20:40   #177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by heydj View Post
I am looking for a new set of headphones for use while running with strong jack else is it possible to repair the jack area?

Somehow all my headsets stop working and have sound coming out of one ear after 6-7 months. This usually happens because of stress put on the headphone jack upon running.
If you are losing contact from the jack area it all you have to do is cut the jack end off and solder a new 3 mm. stereo jack to the 3 wires-R,L and Gnd to their respective points on the jack.
But before you do that make sure that the the connect is broken from the jack side because if it is from from the earphone side you need skillfull hands to do the repairs.
Old 25th May 2015, 21:47   #178
Senior - BHPian

after a lot of researching, I finally did fall for the price trap.
I was choosing b/w Sennheiser Momentum and the Bose QC25. purchased a QC25 last week in an impulsive buy. advert in Stockholm airport said Discount on Bose.. walked in, walked out with the Qc25.

Noise cancellation is a boon. never used one before and I can't stay away from it now. True silence when on a flight is all one needs to have a peaceful sleep which I can now have on my frequent air travel.

however, one thought does bother me. the Sound Quality on the Sennheiser was better.
Old 26th May 2015, 03:01   #179
Senior - BHPian

Silence is far more desirable than sound quality. No?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14000rpm View Post
however, one thought does bother me. the Sound Quality on the Sennheiser was better.
Old 26th May 2015, 16:42   #180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14000rpm View Post
after a lot of researching, I finally did fall for the price trap.
I was choosing b/w Sennheiser Momentum and the Bose QC25. purchased a QC25 last week in an impulsive buy. advert in Stockholm airport said Discount on Bose.. walked in, walked out with the Qc25.

Noise cancellation is a boon. never used one before and I can't stay away from it now. True silence when on a flight is all one needs to have a peaceful sleep which I can now have on my frequent air travel.

I own a pair of Bose QCs (the initial generation) I also own full-ear Sennheiser HD518s and I will say this, the Bose is great for noise canceling in planes or for movie/TV watching in a room with an A/C on at full blast but they are not best in terms of sound quality/fidelity for listening to music. I don't use them for music at all.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks