Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2007, 11:18   #16
BHPian

Well to be honest, it was the MDR V6 only.

Went for it after being recommended those by friends and relatives AND reading all those reviews on the internet (I think I posted a few earlier).
The Clincher was the reviews on Amazon. 99% of the 100+ reviews are 5 star ones.

Anyways. Since they dont ship to India, I will leave it.

What other trusted sites you can recommend. Now considering the Alessandro also. What are the merits/Demerits of an "open type" design?

Thanks.

P.S.>> Reading your post's first line, I'm guessing you have an on hands experience of the V6's. Right?

I'm guessing I need to read more here SONY mdr-7506 VS Alessandro MS-1, which ones better? - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio

Last edited by ScarySkulls : 13th December 2007 at 11:24.
Old 13th December 2007, 11:43   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarySkulls View Post
What are the merits/Demerits of an "open type" design?
closed systems reduce background noise and allow you to concentrate on the music. open air systems allow outside noise in but I feel that the later allows for a more realistic presentation of the music becuase when you are listening to music on speakers or even live you have all sorts of outside noise (people talking, an airplane above, etc...) intruding.

closed is essential for studio work though when only the music matters and careful monitoring is nessacary.

my fav phones (K701, 540 Reference , 580 Ovation, DT880) have all been open air type but I do thave a pair of K240 for monitoring.
Old 13th December 2007, 11:47   #18
BHPian

Going by the same logic, people around you will also get disturbed when you turn up the volume on an open air?
E.g. Somebody studying or sleeping near you at night?
Old 14th December 2007, 00:54   #19
Senior - BHPian

I'm bit confused here.Isn't Alessandro MS1 and GRado SR60 are the same headphones?Funnily while searching for Alessandro at Amazon it shows Grado SR60 and SR80.
Another question,between Sennheiser HD555,Grado SR60 and SR80, which one will be better. I'm having a bit of sensitive ear and can't bear bad sound (say too shrill sound) for long time.Need good balance between highs and lows.Otherwise I start to get Headaches.My use will be mostly for watching movies and occasional Music also.Considering the price point of view I'm thinking about Grado SR60.
BTW, OT, I decided upon Etymotic ER6i, mostly will be for portable music device(iPod and stuff). Yeah, I'm on a shopping spree now.
Old 14th December 2007, 15:29   #20
BHPian

Yes they are same only in a way.

Alessandro MS1 = Tweaked Grado SR60

Which is something like Brabus = Tweaked Mercedes or TRD = Tweaked Toyota, Mugen = Tweaked Honda.

I hope I got the message across :-)

And yes, for a sensitive ear who wants mellow highs, MS1 good enough option from what all I have read.
Old 14th December 2007, 17:16   #21
Senior - BHPian

Thanks SS, but problem is that Alessandro will shoot up my budget while Grado SR60 will be within the budget :-(
Old 14th December 2007, 17:27   #22
BHPian

Are you taking Shipping Into account? Alessandro is better for your ears AND the difference in "Shipped" price isnt much, I think.
Old 14th December 2007, 17:39   #23
Senior - BHPian

Nope, I'm getting the items shipped to a friend in US.So shipping cost is not a issue. But the price difference is approx 30$ and I already have overshot my budget for few other things. How is the Sennheiser 555 in comparison?But that also would be slightly out of budget I think.
Old 15th December 2007, 09:34   #24
BHPian

Sorry yaar. No Idea about the Senn.

I'm going to a friend's place today for a back to back audition of Senn HD600, Some AKG and his all time favourite, The MDR V6. Lets see what happens.
Old 15th December 2007, 11:09   #25
Senior - BHPian

Sony's usually are more commercial products. Grado's and Senn's are some of the best cans out there. If buying in US also check out AKG, Beyerdynamic and Skullcandy(I dont know why I love them soooo much. :P)

While buying headphones, it is very necessary to decide what kind of songs will you be listening to more. Read reviews which show the frequency range.

I bought XD200 2 years ago just because they were cheap. I actually returned the more expensive senn's and I am regretting it now. Not that XD200 are bad but Senn's were just so much better.

Last edited by devarshi84 : 15th December 2007 at 11:11.
Old 16th January 2008, 13:33   #26
BHPian

Size?

Hello Guys,

Can someone please comment on the size of these headphones i.e. how much can they be expanded?

Being a Turban wearing Sikh, I would like to know if they can be wore over a Turban comfortably, as I am also looking for headphones in the same budget range.

Just to give an example, I have a pair of Philips' headphones with me (I think the model no. is HP750 or something - the kind of stuff you get at Music World, etc), they are large sized headphones and fit quite comfortably over the turban.

Going by the various reviews, I am quite inclined towards the MS-1s.

Scaryskulls, when you go over to your friend to audition the headphones, can you give the due consideration to their size?

Would appreciate advice from you guys.

Regards,
Jaspreet Singh
Old 16th January 2008, 14:07   #27
Senior - BHPian

Nope the normal headphones would be too small to fit over a turban. I suggest In Ear Monitors in your case. Take a look at Ultimate Ears and Etymotic IEMs.
Old 16th January 2008, 17:16   #28
Senior - BHPian

An update, got Audio Technica ATH-AD 700 open air Headphones.Sounds very good and already fallen in love with them.Sound quality is very good.Can be easily driven from a iPod or a computer as the impedance is only 32 ohm. But not very Bass heavy so I'm not sure how it'll sound for movies.Havenot yet tested it for watching movies.
BTW, they are quite big and should fit anyone's head.

Also got Etymotic ER6i.Very nice IEMs with amazing sound,only issue is to getting used to it.The earphone goes deep inside the ears and all outside noise is canceled.Much much better then the ipod earphones.
Old 16th January 2008, 17:26   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
Also got Etymotic ER6i.Very nice IEMs with amazing sound,only issue is to getting used to it.The earphone goes deep inside the ears and all outside noise is canceled.Much much better then the ipod earphones.
Great choice @Kaushik. I have a pair or Etymotic ER6i that I had purchased in the US. These are lovely sounding canal phones though lacking in bass a bit. Having said that, they produce accurate tight bass unlike other phones that produce boomy bass.
Old 17th January 2008, 01:39   #30
BHPian

For I-pod or small devies or devices which get smaller and smaller that plays music, go in for earphones, less space and easy to carry.

M-audio M-Audio IE10 Reference Earphones from zZounds.com!.. its one of the best among the lot... try browsing through the homepage of M-Audio(im at office so website is blocked),

For Dj's ..
AKG K 181 DJ Headphones .

K 181 DJ
Professional DJ use

The ultimate tool for professional DJs
3D-Axis professional folding mechanism
Bass boost switch
Stereo/mono selector
High sound pressure level
The K 181 DJ have been designed in cooperation with leading international DJs. The result: the ultimate tool for professional DJs – high performance closed-back headphones with the best possible sound, and maximum SPL that should be exceptionally rugged and easy to bend or fold into any listening position, and provide a switchable bass boost.

Their distinguishing features include:

The 3D-Axis professional folding mechanism allows the DJ to change their monitoring position quickly at the club. High quality lightweight construction, extremely rugged. Headphones fold down into an extremely thin package for transportation
Bass boost switch: Appropriate sound for every venue. Switchable bass boost for gigs at large clubs
Plug-in cable: Single cable for ease of handling, with professional mini XLR connector
Stereo/mono selector for optimum single-ear monitoring
High sound pressure level: High SPL capability for any type of event in any environment. Legendary AKG sound quality
Closed-back earphones: Isolating ear cups attenuate ambient noise, keeping even quiet passages clearly audible
Rubberized finish ensures easy and safe handling at the club

i recommend them very highly... the bass is seriously tight. Its costs around 200$ which i know its expensive, but well worth the amount.

Last edited by nosfreak : 17th January 2008 at 01:43.

Most Viewed