Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2007, 22:01   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Portable Audio Recorder Reqd

Guys,

I am looking for a portable audio recorder, and need suggestions.

Requirements:
* Good clarity of recordings.
* Record atleast 2 hours of conversations. Better if I can do more.
* Corresponding battery life.
* Ease of use.
* Recording format should allow easy conversion to MP3 / WAV.

This can be combined with a thumb drive / flash drive. Requirement is to be able to carry it around, record discussions, and later, archive the same.

No cell phones, please. This device will be in addition to a cell phone. The device needs to be independent of such devices (like phones), so that it's usage is not tied down to a person.
Your inputs, please.

TIA !

Last edited by aah78 : 15th December 2007 at 02:20. Reason: line added on request.
Old 14th December 2007, 22:08   #2
Senior - BHPian

If you are using any smart phone, you can have certain third party software to record voice.
You can also look at Transcend mp3 player, it also has voice recording option, the 2 GB one retails at around 2 to 2.5K
Old 14th December 2007, 22:17   #3
Senior - BHPian

I'd suggest the same as speedmeister.

There are a few good such SW available for Symbian phones, and a LOT of really good SW available for Wi-Mo phones.

My Dad and I use Vito Audionotes (on my E90 and my Dad's E61i) quite heavily. When I used an O2 XDA IIi, I was using Resco Audio Recorder (a really excellent bit of SW, the best of it's kind I've seen).

Vito Audionotes records to MP3 and WAV. Resco records to nearly any format. Both have VAS, that is, the phone will record only when there is some stuff worth recording (sensitivity can be set by you), so there won't be looooong bits of silence to edit out, and the file sizes will be small.

The advantage over old-school handheld (tape) recorders is that you don't need to convert the stuff to MP3. If you record for 1 hour on a tape, you'll need to run the tape for an hour to record to MP3.

You'll also get an excellent and compact digital recorder at any Sony World. I'm not sure, but I think these recorders are priced at 5K for a 256MB recorder. Make sure that the recorder has an interface to copy the files to a PC/Mac. There are models that can do this, and there are models that cannot transfer files to a PC/Mac.

EDIT: YOu can see SOn;y's recorders here: Sony India : Voice Recorder

Last edited by hydrashok : 14th December 2007 at 22:21.
Old 15th December 2007, 08:22   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

speedmiester & hydrashok, thanks for these inputs. Will check out the Transcend & Sony's.

I had missed the point about using the mobile phone, until I read your posts. I have requested the point to be added to my post above, so there is more clarity about what I am looking for. (aah78, thank you).
Old 15th December 2007, 09:06   #5
Senior - BHPian

Condor if you are using iPod then you can get one of these Griffin Technology: iTalk Pro or similar ones
Old 15th December 2007, 10:05   #6
Senior - BHPian

This is what you need - Dictaphones - dedicated conversation recorders. But don't know where you can get one in Blore.

Amazon.co.uk: dictaphones - Electronics & Photo: Electronics & Photo
Old 16th December 2007, 20:37   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Has anyone used a Creative MuVo Micro N200 or similar devices ? Ratings for these are better than those of similar stuff from Transcend.

A very important concern here is quality of recording. Playback on the device itself is not so important, because the recordings listened to on an audio cd / MP3 player later.
Old 2nd January 2008, 05:37   #8
BANNED

Philips GoGear MP3 Player comes with very nice recording capability !
Old 2nd January 2008, 07:38   #9
BHPian

Hey .
Check out this one. You will love for its audio quality, rec capability, and Style
YP-S5QB MP3 Player - MP3 Player SAMSUNG
Old 2nd January 2008, 09:06   #10
BANNED

I was having Sandisk 1 GB MP3 player with FM and voice recorder along with 4 AAA rechargeable battries and charger, 2 weeks back gave it to my younger brother in Pune if you want ill ask him to courier it to you, condition is just like new never used apart from opening the pack and checking the functionality.
Old 2nd January 2008, 09:08   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Has any one used the Sony B100F. Two advantages I find in this are: direct recording to MP3 @ upto 192kbps, and it plugs into the USB port directly.

Thanks for the inputs so far, guys.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks