Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2005, 15:33   #1
Senior - BHPian

Canon Power Shot A400 - need help!!!

Yesterday, i loaded the software that came with the Canon Digi Cam, everything worked fine, until i connected the cam using the USB cord provided by the company.

For some reason, Windows XP and the Software failed to recognise the additional hardware (Digi Cam). The software kept saying "camera not found" and WIN Xp said "un-identified USB hardware", does the cam need to have full charge just to be detected? Coz the battery was real low.

Will try with new batteries this evening.

Another wierd thing was that when i checked for drivers, for the Digi Cam, it didn't display any. Can a cam be connected without drivers?

Coz the message said "this device does not require or does not have loaded drivers".

Shan2nu
Old 5th January 2005, 15:46   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Shantanu,

1. Check if the software gives you an option of which port (USB or otherwise) the camera will connect through. Sometimes it may be waiting for the cam on another port.

2. Disable the USB (from my computer), then connect the camera. finally enable the USB again.

GTO
Old 5th January 2005, 15:49   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. Check if the software gives you an option of which port (USB or otherwise) the camera will connect through. Sometimes it may be waiting for the cam on another port.
It has to be the USb coz the company provided cord has a USB socket.

Quote:
2. Disable the USB (from my computer), then connect the camera. finally enable the USB again.
Will try that and see.

Shan2nu
Old 5th January 2005, 15:59   #4
BHPian

Have you rebooted the system after installing the sw??

If yes then try the following...
Uninstall all the software u installed.
Goto this link...A400 driver .
Download the driver. Install it. **Reboot**.Connect the camera.
It should work now.
Old 5th January 2005, 16:07   #5
Senior - BHPian

Will try that, but shouldn't the CD come loaded with these drivers???

Shan2nu
Old 5th January 2005, 16:22   #6
BHPian

its a driver prob fer sure .. happnd to me 2 ... cudnt detect my portable harddisk...theres a option roll bak driver u can install the driver frm a400 if that doesnt work u can roll back.. usually works wen u roll back
Old 5th January 2005, 16:27   #7
Senior - BHPian

One problem which i can see is the version of USB, is ur hardware very old i mean how old is the motherboard ??

The latest is USB 2.0, tho new cameras support older versions of USB but it is quite possible that urs wont be getting detected due to older version.

Last edited by Technocrat : 5th January 2005 at 16:42.
Old 5th January 2005, 16:31   #8
Senior - BHPian

Well, i just browsed the website provided. It's pretty straight to the point and detailed.

Will try what ever they've explianed and 'll let yo'll kow by tonight.

Shan2nu
Old 5th January 2005, 17:03   #9
Senior - BHPian

when i was using my friends sony cybershot there was no need to install any drivers in xp..it reconginesed it a external storage and i cud accesses the memory of the cam easily from the windows explorer.
Old 5th January 2005, 17:05   #10
Senior - BHPian

well for Windows 98 you'd need the CD to install the USB driver, but Windows XP does not need drivers, it automatically detects the camera.
Old 5th January 2005, 17:37   #11
BHPian

Quote:
when i was using my friends sony cybershot there was no need to install any drivers in xp..it reconginesed it a external storage and i cud accesses the memory of the cam easily from the windows explorer.
Quote:
well for Windows 98 you'd need the CD to install the USB driver, but Windows XP does not need drivers, it automatically detects the camera.
The reason could be that these cameras would have been in market even before xp came out. And hence the drivers for the same are included in the OS. but that cant said for a spanky new camera with a new storage device mechanism.
Old 5th January 2005, 17:55   #12
BHPian

shan

You dont require any drivers for connecting the usb canon digi cam. just uninstall the old drivers which you loaded and reboot the comp. plug the cam switched on to the usb using the usb cable. It will say usd device found and installing. it will install and you will find a new removeable drive in the my computer.
Old 5th January 2005, 18:16   #13
Team-BHP Support

tabrez is right, in win xp connect the usb, switch the cam in download mode, thats all. draw back maybe u might loose out on certain editing options that canon software might have.
Old 5th January 2005, 19:29   #14
Senior - BHPian

Arey but the prob is that the comp isn't recognising the device. It's not able to identify it.

Probably the low battery power in the cam caused that to happen.

Shan2nu
Old 5th January 2005, 19:35   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The reason could be that these cameras would have been in market even before xp came out. And hence the drivers for the same are included in the OS. but that cant said for a spanky new camera with a new storage device mechanism.
its not that way, my camera Sony DSC/W1 was launched after XP was created. XP has a standard driver for all cameras. It automatically detects them no matter what model or make. Same goes for USB Flash Cards or USB drives and other USB devices.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks