Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2008, 19:56   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
@This particular amp states 175W/ch @6ohm, 1 channel driven at typical FTC specs (1kHz, <1% distortion). However if you see the results you posted, the clipping power is 144W @8ohm and just 80W @8ohm when all channels are driven.

When an amp states a certain power and the measured results are something way off, its ridiculous. As you see from the tests, if a pair of channels are driven, the clipping power would be roughly around 120W and hence the usable power won't be more than 80W. So effectively a 175W claimed power by the maker is only 80W in real world.
You got your numbers mixed up here. The test bench report says " STEREO PERFORMANCE, DIGITAL INPUT

Reference level is �20 dBFS; all level trims at zero. Volume setting for reference level was 78.
Output at clipping (1 kHz, 8/4 ohms, both channels driven): 124/175 W (20.9/22.4 dBW) "

175 W is at 6 ohms and 124 W is at 8 ohms., at typical FTC specs , with a THD of 0.02%.

This is what Onkyo claims in theri website "105 W + 105 W (8 ohms, 1 kHz, 0.7%,
2 channels driven, FTC) Onkyo TX-SR605 - 7.1-Channel Home Theater Receiver | Model Information | Onkyo USA Home Theater Products

So what this onkyo actually delivers in the test bench is much MORE than what is claimed in the specifications , similar to your Mccormack , if I may say so. I am yet to come across one single specifications of Onkyo , with 10% THD .

Onkyos amplifiers are certainly not cheaply built or specced. They compare favourably with products , priced many times more.
Old 16th January 2008, 20:20   #47
Senior - BHPian

Man this is what I call making a moutain out of a mole-hill. This thread has so totally gone OT.
Old 16th January 2008, 21:00   #48
BHPian

Tower Speakers for Onkyo receiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
No you are not. But in Hyper-Vtec's case I have assumed that he already has an existing set of 5.1 channel speakers that came with the receiver. And as he has mentioned he is not happy with the way they sound on stereo mode.
Well this may be a dumb suggestion .. but anyways here it goes
before you jump to changing your speakers, did you ensure the settings on your Amp are correctly set ?
Tone button > set the Bass and Treble appropriately depending on your preference. Default setting is Zero, and Stereo sounds crap with the default setting. But you will not notice this when watching movies.

Ensure under the Hardware config you have set the right speaker size, and impedance, same with speaker sound level, and distance. cheers:
Old 16th January 2008, 21:12   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by w 12 View Post
You got your numbers mixed up here. The test bench report says " STEREO PERFORMANCE, DIGITAL INPUT

Reference level is �20 dBFS; all level trims at zero. Volume setting for reference level was 78.
Output at clipping (1 kHz, 8/4 ohms, both channels driven): 124/175 W (20.9/22.4 dBW) "

175 W is at 6 ohms and 124 W is at 8 ohms., at typical FTC specs , with a THD of 0.02%.

This is what Onkyo claims in theri website "105 W + 105 W (8 ohms, 1 kHz, 0.7%,
2 channels driven, FTC) Onkyo TX-SR605 - 7.1-Channel Home Theater Receiver | Model Information | Onkyo USA Home Theater Products

So what this onkyo actually delivers in the test bench is much MORE than what is claimed in the specifications , similar to your Mccormack , if I may say so. I am yet to come across one single specifications of Onkyo , with 10% THD .

Onkyos amplifiers are certainly not cheaply built or specced. They compare favourably with products , priced many times more.
Apologies for not checking that page. I based my comments on this page

A/V Recivers : TX-SR605 | ONKYO Asia and Oceania Website

175 W/Ch Continuous 6 ohms, 1 kHz, 1 Channel Driven, JEITA
Frequency Response: 5 Hz–100 kHz (+1 dB, -3 dB)
WHD: 435 x 174 x 377 mm
Weight: 11.5 kg

This particular amp seems to be rated conservatively. However I can't say the same about every other onkyo amp, especially the el cheapo ones.
Old 17th January 2008, 11:41   #50
BHPian

I would definitely check all the settings first and give my existing 5.1 a try again. The problem is, thess things are so confusing and with IT industry office timings, things get worse...
Old 17th January 2008, 12:18   #51
Senior - BHPian

I think ROC had a bad experience with onkyo. Maybe you can tell you about it.
Old 17th January 2008, 12:31   #52
Senior - BHPian

Yes I did. Had a friend who had an onkyo TX SR601 with semi decent KEF Eggs speakers. The speakers are not great but not ridiculously bad either (~90k for a 5.1 set). I was surprised by the lack of bass slam, dynamics and body in the audio - sounded really really thin.

He finally ended up replacing the receiver with a Marantz SR5600 which costed much less than the original onkyo. The difference in the sound was stupendous. The difference in audio quality was so much, it wasn't even funny.
Old 17th January 2008, 17:14   #53
Senior - BHPian

Discussion going off-topic, I guess

Guys, I think we are way off-topic. It would be better to focus on suggesting a good pair of tower loudspeakers for hyper-VTEC to buy rather than trying to parade our individual knowledge/expertise on which receiver/amplifier is better. He already has the receiver, and he needs info about the loudspeakers .
Old 14th March 2008, 14:12   #54
BHPian

Actually I was thinking if Navin or Sam or any one can help on DIY on Floor standing.In India speakers are very highly priced.Almost 3 times then US.But DIY for FSS will be a herculian task

or if you have option bring it from US.

Regarding suggesting a speaker what I would say is trust your ears.Coz when you go for tower standing all are good for some reasons.The Floor standing should deliver all freq (most of the) ,so take some CD which you listen frequently(A solo and music of your taste(I prefer soft rock)) and listen that in spekers you want to buy and watch for extra sounds they are producing.Itz all your taste.So question will be similar to "Is BMW or Merc the best !

Last edited by manziee_crusier : 14th March 2008 at 14:17.
Old 14th March 2008, 14:29   #55
BHPian

Also for the amp power confudion I have a good link

The Truth About Power Ratings - Articles - Education - Polk Audio
Old 14th March 2008, 14:48   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper-VTEC View Post
I would definitely check all the settings first and give my existing 5.1 a try again. The problem is, thess things are so confusing and with IT industry office timings, things get worse...
Hey hyper,

I would always suggest to go for a 2 channel stereo setup for audio, than a 5.1 home theater. If you have the budget, go for it. Check sites like hifidemoroom : Discover Quality. As fellow members suggested do audition Polk, Klipsch, Monitor, Warfedale etc and decide. It's better to take your favorite CD with you when you go for audition.
Old 9th May 2008, 12:36   #57
Senior - BHPian

hyper-vtec,

1) If your Onkyo receiver comes with a Audessy tuning mic, use that to ensure your setup is correct.

2) check the specs on your speakers and make sure that the receiver is setup to match the same.

3) Goto any e-zone or a multi-product store and ask them to play a onkyo 5.1 receiver with similar specs as yours with a Jamo tower speaker setup. You should be able to tell what is the difference.

Take a couple of your favourite CDs along and ask them to play them in the pure direct mode ( switch off all sound processing ), and then with DTS, DolbyDigital etc., modes.

Towers will definitely give you better resolution and sound Quality for music.

buy towers which have a rating of a min 100w. Ensure your amp can switch between 6 and 8 ohms.

In the sub 30k price range for towers my suggestion would be Wharfedale Diamond 9.5, Jamo, KEF IQ5, Acoustic Energy, Sonodyne in no particular order.

With speakers and music, each individual's perception is different, as we have very distinct musical tastes and ear for a kind of music. Some like it bright, some with more bass, some neutral, some want the mids playing louder and so on....

Now a question for the gurus:
A wharfedale 9.5 comes with large say 8 inch woofer, and 8" mid and a 25mm tweeter. Jamo in the same range gives a 6" woofer, 4" mid and a 25mm tweeter.

How does the size of the driver relate to the sound quality of the speaker or output wattage ?
Old 9th May 2008, 14:29   #58
jp1
BHPian

Hyper-vtech
If you are in Bangalore, you may try ProFx showroom at MG road, Barton centre, Ground floor. They deal with Polk Audio and KEF speakers. You can listen to it and decide yourself as they have professional set uop there, but they play on DENON amps

Most Viewed