Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2008, 17:35   #1

Dual Boot Vista/XP/Linux, Step-by-Step with Screenshots!

cheers: Dual Boot Vista/XP/Linux, Step-by-Step with Screenshots!

Old 18th January 2008, 02:26   #2
Senior - BHPian

nice one bro , thanks
Old 18th January 2008, 06:31   #3
Senior - BHPian

Would come in very useful when i need that , thanks.
Old 18th January 2008, 07:36   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by invisiblebond View Post
cheers: Dual Boot Vista/XP/Linux, Step-by-Step with Screenshots!
My brother had a Vista box. But he wanted XP, along with linux. So last week I installed XP & openSuSe 10.3 on Vista. With grub boot loader, it works like charm.
Old 18th January 2008, 14:51   #5
BHPian

If you have enough RAM, you could try virtualization instead. You can use Linux from within windows or vice versa.

Gone are the days when virtualization software costed a bomb. Now its free - try the opensource software "virtualBox". Its very easy to setup.
Old 18th January 2008, 16:38   #6
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the tutorial.

Vista sucks i dont know why people use it unless they have drivers issues. My laptop doesn't not have perfect sound drivers for XP so i have to stick to vista and its the worst windows ever!

Ubuntu is way better than vista.
Old 18th January 2008, 16:46   #7
BANNED

Some tips on dual booting

1. Install Linux last. Windows does not have (deliberately?) the capability to recognise another OS on the computer; so will wipe off Linux or any other OS on the hard disk. You can install other OSes apart from WIndows and Linux - in which case WIndows comes first, and linux is still last.

2. Use GRUB as your boot loader.

3. In case windows plays tricks with other OSes installed and makes the system unbootable into the other OSes, catch hold of the boot /install CD of linux and use the "rescue mode" from Linux to create / write the boot loader into the MBR. Rescue mode from WIndows will wipe out GRUB or any other boot loader installed by Linux. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO REINSTALL LINUX once there is a proper install on the hard disk.

4. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO REINSTALL LINUX once there is a proper install on the hard disk. (repeating will not harm you).

5. write down your partition scheme like this:-
- Hard diak - whether it is primary or secondary or master or slave
- Total size of the hard disk and size of each partition. Note which partition is primary and which is secondary.
The above info will prove when you have to rescue the boot loader.

If you do not understand any of the above terms, please use Google to search for their meaning BEFORE embarking on dual booting.

You can have multiple versions of Linux installed; each version can share the swap space; but suing the same swap space for WIndows and Linux is difficult (but not impossible).
Old 13th February 2008, 20:04   #8
Senior - BHPian

Just talked to HP customer care in US and they gave me some steps to make my sound drivers work on XP. Now i don't want to delete vista and install XP and later on find out that driver still don't work.

So wanted to try out virtualization. Any tips and pointers how to proceed i have VISTA installed currently. Need to install XP.
Old 13th February 2008, 21:32   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
Just talked to HP customer care in US.
off topic, i thought all of HP customer care works from india. they start with an american accent though. but after sensing a desi, come back to our natural accents.

i am going to receive my tablet in a few days, and will probably need some reconfiguration. does anybody know if any linux version supports tablet functions (I think the only extra feature is an active touch screen).
Old 14th February 2008, 14:47   #10
BHPian

Nice tutorial man. Just when I am thinking of installing Vista Home Premium on my XP desktop. Thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks