Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2008, 11:59   #16
BHPian

@gkrishn
The Vaio was a 'VGN-X505'. Made between 2003/2004. I think that was a uber cool laptop.

It was mentioned by Steve Jobs in his keynote speech that the processor was specially made for the MBA.
Old 18th January 2008, 12:07   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
It redefines sleekness to another level ... Only draw back is the absence of a DVD ROM !
Don't you think the price diff between the two models is very steep?
Thats because of the SSD. Amazon is selling another version of the MBA with the 1.8 processor for around 2k.
Old 18th January 2008, 12:09   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
I think it is upgrade time for Rudra Sir and Sam Bhai.

Apple - MacBook Air - Technical Specifications

I think the processor is special bulit for this notebook. And it intel core 2 duo.
Not sure if Rudra Sen would want it considering it doesnt have a dedicated GPU like the MBP, but a very sexy laptop nonetheless. I cant wait till I get to see one in the Apple Stores. This is one laptop I really really want.
Old 18th January 2008, 12:51   #19
BHPian

The Size and looks of that thing are Amazing
But the 13.3-inch screen is too small for me, And it has Just ONE USB-Port, i also don't like the idea of having to carry a external drive along!

BTW: i currently use a 15-inch MacBook Pro
Old 18th January 2008, 14:58   #20
BHPian

Looks cool, but does not seem to have got a very good review due to all the things Apple left out.
read here - MacBook Air: top 10 things wrong with it | APC Magazine

Seems like it does not have an Ethernet port nor a wireless adaptor !!
Old 18th January 2008, 15:20   #21
Senior - BHPian

It has inbuilt wireless but no ethernet port. That writes it off in my books. The only redeeming factor is that it does look sweet. But then so does the Dell XPS M1330 and has gazillions of features to boot at cheaper prices.
Old 20th January 2008, 01:51   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypher View Post
Looks cool, but does not seem to have got a very good review due to all the things Apple left out.
read here - MacBook Air: top 10 things wrong with it | APC Magazine

Seems like it does not have an Ethernet port nor a wireless adaptor !!
These are major drawbacks. As per the apple website, it does not need a DVD / cd player coz you can share another computers drive with this one using wireless.

What if one does not have a desktop / laptop nearby ?

Its sleek, no doubt about it & it comes from apple. Wonder how the sales graph would be

Do i like this notebook ? I like the design however not satisfied with its features.
Old 20th January 2008, 12:11   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

I think we need to understand what various macs are and what their utility is.
Air is not a desktop replacement, not a creative professional tool. Air is fun.

The target audience for something like this will enjoy computing, chatting, webcam and other enjoyable Apple and iLife projects.
What is the value of a wireless router today? Rs. 2000/-

Why would you buy the worlds coolest ultra portable computer and restrict yourself to an ethernet wire?
I would not have used the previous black and white macbooks, nor will I use this one. I will admire it, covet it and possibly even buy it for fun.

But for people like Rudra and I (I am not comparing myself to Rudra and his work, I am merely a shadow) there are machines like the MacBook Pro (replacement of the erstwhile PowerBook, on which I type this answer) and many desktop macs. Not this one.
Old 20th January 2008, 21:01   #24
BANNED

» Why does the MacBook Air make so many so dumb? | The Apple Core | ZDNet.com
Quote:
The MacBook Air is aimed at a narrow upscale segment of the market. These customers care about style and what that style says about them. It’s all a part of their personal brand.

These customers want excellent design and will value the drama created by the MacBook Air. When they open this machine at a meeting, it may say more about them than a $300 haircut, or a bespoke suit.

Will these users worry about connecting FireWire for digital video or external storage? They may worry more that a heavy briefcase filled with a heavy notebook could wrinkle their suit before a meeting. Listen, if one of these persons needs an power outlet because the battery is heading towards critical, someone will find them an outlet. And besides, there’s plenty of juice for notebooks and mimosas in the first class cabin.

What’s great about the MacBook Air is that this machine appears to be a new twist in Apple’s stealth campaign into the enterprise. The MacBook Air is all about switchers.

Who will be customers of this classy machine? Captains of enterprise and commerce. Traditionally, these customers have been Windows users. But now they will buy Apple’s new ultralight and join the ranks of switchers.
Old 20th January 2008, 23:52   #25
Senior - BHPian

I use my MBP for my work which needs me to have the following

- Mail Client
- Browser
- Office software
- pdf viewer
- VPN client
- IM

I like to play with Fusion (although not required for work) and
other virtualization stuff and also have fun with Skype, iMovie HD
and iPhoto etc.

I haven't used the optical drive of my MBP for last few months simply because I'm not interested in burning CD, DVDs etc and I don't need to install software that has exclusively been on DVD.

I would love to buy the new Air for my work and would have if I hadn't bought my new MBP only a few months back.

Basically I can get my work done on any laptop, Windows or Mac. I prefer Mac because of its amazing usability and MacBook Air has all of it and more (with new multi-touch features).

BTW, I have a reasonably good desktop at home for any home video editing and other such works.

I would put it like this. If you would like to have only one system (desktop or laptop) then MacBook-Air can't be it. However if you have a desktop at home and want a laptop for mobility, MacBook Air would be amazing.
Old 25th January 2008, 11:23   #26
BHPian

Macbook Air Ad...

Old 25th January 2008, 16:47   #27
BHPian

Macbook Air

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
I think Steve Jobs is the best thing that happened to computers and consumer electronics.
!!! Dude !! read the book "iCon" first. You will know what kind of a person Steve Jobs is, and what his contribution is towards Apple.
Old 28th January 2008, 15:24   #28
fb1
BHPian

this is how the thin the air is, i am wondering if i should get the air or macbook pro and for all the vista junkies. I started hating windows after vista came out.. rip off apple os and its a resource hog... i still use xp on my comp.. anyways i am thinking of installing windows on my mac along with OSX

Last edited by fb1 : 28th January 2008 at 15:25.
Old 28th January 2008, 17:10   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fb1 View Post
YouTube - The New MacBook Air Envelope Ad
this is how the thin the air is, i am wondering if i should get the air or macbook pro and for all the vista junkies. I started hating windows after vista came out.. rip off apple os and its a resource hog... i still use xp on my comp.. anyways i am thinking of installing windows on my mac along with OSX

If you are buying Mac, buy Fusion as well.
Old 17th March 2009, 17:02   #30
BANNED

MacBook Air's thickness is 0.76 inches.
Dell betters it and makes a notebook of thickness of just 0.65-inches

Dell unveils world's thinnest laptop- Adamo

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks