Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2008, 15:55   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anuragn View Post
So I guess the amp or something else has gone bad. Would have to find out now. So now the problem is a bad amplifier board.
This might have caused the power transformer to failure. I would suggest to get the amplifier checked from any reliable source.
Old 7th February 2008, 23:32   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for all the advice.
The transformer is a sealed unit, so it has to be broken for rewinding.
I was also of the opinion that SMPS output would contain lots of audible noise, hence this query before trying out. But otherwise, inputing DC voltage where AC is required means a voltage drop of appx 1.4 V (i.e 2 diodes in series in a bridge rectifier). And the rectifier can be easily bypassed if DC power source is reqd to be used.
Now that getting a new transformer seems to be the best solution (I do not somehow feel comfortable getting an original one rewound....it would still not be same as new),
can somebody tell where can I get a good torroidal tansformer in Mumbai (apart from Lamington road), and how much would it cost compared to a conventional one?
ah, you do know your circuits

Well , dont bother with a toroidal transformer. even though they are better , they're also worth a lot more , and among the reasons that they're favoured is that they contain the EM fields from the transformer, and so lesser interference / hum, as well as their smaller size, which matters when the circuitry/transformer is in the same enclosure. since your transformer will be far away from your amp/ rest of the stuff, its not an issue
Old 18th July 2008, 12:28   #18
BHPian

I posted this question in the lighting thread but haven't got any answers.

Since this thread is talking about the power source / 12V / etc. hence posting here.

It is possible to use computer accented lighting tubes in a car? The tubes I'm talking about are Cold Cathode Tubes with 12V inverters with a molex connector which allows to be connected from the computer power. My question is, if I remove the molex connector and just use the 2 wires to power the tube from the car battery, will it work and more importanly, is this OK?
Old 18th July 2008, 17:55   #19
Senior - BHPian

You have to see if the inverters work off the 5V or 12V lines of the SMPS. If the inverter molex connects to the yellow wires in the SMPS, they are 12V and you can use them in your car. I would suggest running them in a separate circuit with relays because CCFL inverters cause high frequency noise that you really don't want to be leaking into your ICE.

Also, be aware that computer CCFL tubes have little to no environmental protection - if you use them in your car underbody, they won't last long.
Old 18th July 2008, 19:32   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
You have to see if the inverters work off the 5V or 12V lines of the SMPS.
How do I do that?

This is what comes with the Cathode tubes
Using PC SMPS Unit As a Power Source for Creative Speakers-dualinverterfull.jpg

This 12V kit comes with a different type or neon light, if the above one works, this should too and I want to get the other stuff that comes with it.
Using PC SMPS Unit As a Power Source for Creative Speakers-f12cm.jpg
Quote:
If the inverter molex connects to the yellow wires in the SMPS, they are 12V and you can use them in your car. I would suggest running them in a separate circuit with relays because CCFL inverters cause high frequency noise that you really don't want to be leaking into your ICE.
See the image attached, it clearly says its a 12V DC inverter, will it work? I can't open my CPU case and check all this at the moment

Quote:
Also, be aware that computer CCFL tubes have little to no environmental protection - if you use them in your car underbody, they won't last long.
Nope, not to be used for underbody but interior or ICE.

I've attached a picture and exact description of what I want to use, will this help to determine if it can work in an automobile!

Using PC SMPS Unit As a Power Source for Creative Speakers-12v-cathode.jpg
Old 19th July 2008, 16:45   #21
Senior - BHPian

I hate to repeat myself, but as you can see it connects using the yellow wires and therefore is 12V. It is also stated so in the description.

It should work in your car.
Old 20th July 2008, 01:22   #22
BHPian

It Works!

@ImmortalZ - Dude I hooked it up and it works perfectly well!
Old 8th December 2008, 17:32   #23
BHPian

Reviving this old thread.
Yesterday, I got a SMPS on loan from a computer shop and tried to power my Creative speaker set using the 12V supply.
And it worked perfectly! No hum, no distortion. And why should'nt it? After all, the preamp on board the motherboard also derives it's power from the SMPS and sounds clean.
So am now buying a preused SMPS which I'll get for 150-200 bucks. Won't risk tapping DC supply from the SMPS inside the cabinet, because if something goes wrong in the speaker set, it might even blow up the MB or CPU.
Old 8th December 2008, 19:12   #24
Senior - BHPian

I wonder in that case why the 12 DC adapter didn't work earlier. I still say that a linear PSU is the right thing to do, while this is more of a jugaad. nothing wrong with it though, if you are fine with the SQ.
Old 8th December 2008, 21:28   #25
Senior - BHPian

i dunno why you people are doing such jugad.
open the old adaptor. buy a 12-0volt/1.5 amp transformer for rs. 45 and install.

PS: you must know how to use a solder iron. and know a bit about electronic.
Old 8th December 2008, 21:47   #26
Senior - BHPian

SirAlec, creative speakers have their adapters as a sealed unit ( the plastic seems to have been moulded around the transformer) so replacing it is almost impossible . still a replacement adapter would still have worked fine
Old 8th December 2008, 22:13   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
SirAlec, creative speakers have their adapters as a sealed unit ( the plastic seems to have been moulded around the transformer) so replacing it is almost impossible . still a replacement adapter would still have worked fine
No its not, though there are no screws in most. There is a techinic to open it.

To open up such transformer. Wrap it in a towel type of cloth/hanky, and on a wooden plank or anvil beat the hammer gently on the seam of joints. Until it plonks open.
To pack it up, use a packing tape (brown one) or use Fevicol 203 after putting a transformer.

PS: You really should know how to use your tools.

ALso: any imported Adaptor gives you one more chance to be used again.

If you peel gently the AC winding side. you will find a thermal fuse wrapped somewhere. Short the fuse and you can use that transformer again. Will post the images when i am bit free.
Old 9th December 2008, 10:30   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
i dunno why you people are doing such jugad.
open the old adaptor. buy a 12-0volt/1.5 amp transformer for rs. 45 and install.

PS: you must know how to use a solder iron. and know a bit about electronic.
Dear SirAlec,
There's always a pleasure in jugad which only DIYers can understand.
Otherwise, I am hardly saving a few hundred bucks here.
I had already opened the adapter long back, using the same technique as advised by you. The winding's got burnt.
And I was till now using a 12V/ 2amp eliminator, but it does not provide sufficient power, had to keep subwoofer volume to almost zero.
The original adapter is rated 12V/ 2.9Amp, and the nearest match I found in the market was a 12V/5A one, which costs 400-500 bucks.
Old 9th December 2008, 18:09   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dear SirAlec,
There's always a pleasure in jugad which only DIYers can understand.
Otherwise, I am hardly saving a few hundred bucks here.
I had already opened the adapter long back, using the same technique as advised by you. The winding's got burnt.
And I was till now using a 12V/ 2amp eliminator, but it does not provide sufficient power, had to keep subwoofer volume to almost zero.
The original adapter is rated 12V/ 2.9Amp, and the nearest match I found in the market was a 12V/5A one, which costs 400-500 bucks.
Ofcourse yaar!! DIY is the way to go.

Most Viewed