Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2008, 19:06   #1
BHPian

Wi-max-ing.

After having grown up in a well-connected area in bangalore for around 15 years, I did not realise the surprises I would run into when I moved into a new house on Sarjapur Road. I knew that water was a big issue in this part of the city, but never realised that getting an internet connection could be very tough.

BSNL and Airtel citied some very vague reasons for not serving any new connections. I started using the Airtel MobileOffice while on travel, but I knew that the hardly 2-3kBps link would not keep me happy for long.

One fine day, I picked up a pamplet from an old man standing outside my office. It read out "wired or wireless internet at 256kbps....". I thought it was yet another marketing gimmick, but thought that I can educate the guy that we cannot get anything like 256kbps using normal GSM/CDMA.

Made a phone call and the executive said that they will send over a guy for explaining me. The executive was a 10th std pass fellow and he was only interested in me filling up the form. I almost told him to go away and come back with details of "wireless internet" when my eyes caught the words "wimax" on his application form. I immediately filled the form.

Within 10 days, I now have my Wi-max connection working at home giving me the promised 256kbps. The equipment is very simple. The Wi-max modem stuck at the back of the directional antenna fixed on my balcony and powered over the ethernet.

I now have to figure out how to re-use my ADSL modem with wireless adapter [given by bsnl at my previous home] so that the last few feet in my home also is wireless.

other details :
Product being used : Telsima
Service provider : Tata Indicom / VSNL.

chipset from : Sequans

press release : Sequans - Sequans Powers Telsima's Major Wimax Deployments In India

telsima is backed by vinod dham of new path ventures ! and sequans is back by motorola, alcatel-lucent, etc.

Last edited by Rehaan : 2nd February 2008 at 20:32.
Old 2nd February 2008, 23:13   #2
Senior - BHPian

I've had Tata Indicom 1 mbps unlimited wimax connection for more a few months now. Mine was the 2nd Tata wimax connection in Bangalore.
Old 2nd February 2008, 23:51   #3
Senior - BHPian

Hi guys,

What is the cost involved? 1 mbps sounds too good to be true.
Old 2nd February 2008, 23:55   #4
BHPian

Can you guys PM the phone numbers of the concerned people .. I would like to take a connection if its worth it...
Old 2nd February 2008, 23:57   #5
Senior - BHPian

I am paying 3600 per month plus taxes for 1 mbps. Lucky for me there were no installation charges except for one month advance payment.

Last edited by vikram_d : 2nd February 2008 at 23:59.
Old 3rd February 2008, 01:40   #6
Senior - BHPian

Wow! that was fast Vikram. Thanks.
Old 3rd February 2008, 08:53   #7
BHPian

PrePaid 256kbps 3months --- Rs 3765
PrePaid 256kbps 6months --- Rs 6068
PrePaid 256kbps 12months -- Rs 11461

PrePaid 512kbps 3 months --- Rs 6495
PrePaid 512kbps 6 months --- Rs 11192
PrePiad 512kbps 12 months -- Rs 21169

PostPaid 256kbps --- Rs 1124 p.m. --- min 4 months
PostPaid 512kbps --- Rs 2079 p.m. --- min 4 months
PostPaid 1mbps ---- Rs 4045 p.m. --- min 4 months

There are no extra charges for modem, etc. other than those indicated above. I chose the 256kbps Postpaid plan. I havent really checked the limits of upload and download, but my utorrent is recording atleast 30kbps for download and simultaneous 24kbps for upload.

Tips from "installation people" :
1. Go for PostPaid as you get a static IP address. PrePaid connections are easier to install, but face issues during peak hours in densely deployed areas.
2. Both Tata (aka VSNL) and Reliance are deploying WiMax. VSNL takes longer time to finish installation, but their back-end servers work damn good [as long as they work]. Reliance is very fast at finishing the installation, but their back-end servers are being citied as problems from their customer care.
3. TATA can fix their antenna on your balcony, while Reliance has to fix it on top of your building for better reception quality. [I was able to get -68dBm signals, enough to sustain 64QAM R34 coding]

Btw, both the operators arent yet advertising WiMax so openly.

Gopz, I will PM you the contact nos. soon.
Old 4th February 2008, 03:34   #8
Senior - BHPian

btw, the reason VSNL works superbly (am an satisfied ex-user) is that their network is all outsourced to Cisco. So network performs. god forbid, should you need some repairs (think wire cut) though
Old 4th February 2008, 09:43   #9
Team-BHP Support

Its a bit too expensive. Airtel gives 512kbps unlimited at 1500.
Even thats expensive I think. We should get atleast 1Mbps unlimited for around 1000/month
Old 5th February 2008, 19:38   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Its a bit too expensive. Airtel gives 512kbps unlimited at 1500.
Even thats expensive I think. We should get atleast 1Mbps unlimited for around 1000/month
Waiting eagerly for that day to come. Then 3000 rupees would get us 3mbps unlimited.
Old 5th February 2008, 20:55   #11
BHPian

I was guessing that DSL would be costlier in the USA because of larger distances from the exchange to customer. But if you look at DSL Residential Service—AT&T Yahoo! High Speed Internet i am totally wrong. They are already getting a 3mbps link for < 1000rs.

Coming to configuring my Wimax, I wanted to know if anyone has tried to use wi-fi for the Wimax connection. These are the problems I am thinking that I will face before I attempt :

1. VSNL has given a private static IP address. If I transfer that to my old bsnl dsl-wireless modem(not with the intention of using the dsl, but the router functionality), will I be able to still browse from my laptop with an ip address 192.168.1.2 [allocated from the bsnl dsl-wireless modem with its in-build dhcp server].

2. VSNL requires that I first login to their page, enter my user-name and passwd and only then my internet connection is really done. If I want to use an wifi access point or whatever, will I hit a roadblock because of this requirement ?

any answers would be appreciated.
Old 5th February 2008, 23:07   #12
Senior - BHPian

You can wi-fi enable the connection very easily. I have already done it at home and it's working great.

1. Yes it will work. You should configure the VSNL assigned IP to the WAN port on your router. Then enable DHCP on it and configure your PC to get an IP from the router.
2. Nothing can be done about the login page. I have created a bookmark on all the PC's at home and saved my username & password on them. So even if one PC is logged onto the internet it works on all of them. If nobody is logged on the I login from my laptop and use it. I am trying to look for a work around for it. Also anyways when you open the browser with any default home page the login page automatically comes up if no user is logged in.

Go ahead and wifi enable your house. It will be worth it.

I am now working on enabling media on the wi-fi network. So any movie playing in my home theatre should be viewable on any PC in the house. The same goes for audio also. Building a media server also for this purpose.

Last edited by vikram_d : 5th February 2008 at 23:12.
Old 6th February 2008, 15:03   #13
Senior - BHPian

I am waiting for the day, I can install a WiMAx on my car and get broadband on my carpc
Old 6th February 2008, 16:32   #14
BHPian

It took nearly 50 years after independence to come to a state where we can(?) get a useable telephone connection.
It took just 12 years for the cell phone industry to overtake the number of land-line subscribers.

It took 7-8 years for *standardised* wifi to propage into our homes in a decent way.
It took less than 2 years for *standardised* wi-max to hit our homes.

I am sure the mobile Wimax (802.16e) is not too far away. We just have to see if it survives the competitiveness from HSDPA, EVDO, etc.

And it is good to know that there is lot of contribution from the indian soil in the WiMax spec.
Old 9th June 2008, 10:30   #15
Senior - BHPian

TATA Broadband upgraded by 2Mbps wireline connection into a WiMAX FOC.

The equipment being the same as reported by Kishore.

The response times have decreased and the pages open up real fast now + less clutter on the desk.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks