Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2010, 13:56   #31
Senior - BHPian

Norge?
Decent and price competitive.

Norge Audio
Tech2.com India > Norge Reference 2000 Stereo Amplifier > Reviews > HiFi & TV > Home
Old 11th March 2010, 14:07   #32
Senior - BHPian

You are right, those speakers are really good. Tower speakers, right ? I think Yamaha/Pioneer amps are available in Croma/e-zone shops. Make sure you get an amp well within the speakers' rating.
Old 11th March 2010, 14:15   #33
BHPian

I would recommend either a Denon or HarmanKardon. Bangalore should be a good place. You can check with Pro FX on MG Road, they stock Denons and FX audio for HK amps.
Old 11th March 2010, 14:16   #34
Senior - BHPian

alpha thanks for the inputs, any idea on costing and have you used it?

esteem, its the shorter once. yea at the time of buying i was too keen on those speakers but they were expensive no that these came cheap but those went off my budget.

murali any idea on the range?

Last edited by lohithrao : 11th March 2010 at 14:21.
Old 11th March 2010, 14:23   #35
Senior - BHPian

Sonodyne amplifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
...we had pick "BPL" music system which looked something similar to "Philips Power house".

This came with "Hallmark speakers( i guess), the music system was worth every penny and today though the system is showing her age but the Speakers are still rocking!...
Can u please post some pics of the system/speakers ? I remember the print ads for those music systems, and I liked the speaker design.

Sonodyne is my personal preference among Indian brands

Home Audio > Sonus Series

In the electronics market here in Chennai, we get good used imported amplifiers at decent prices. Technics and Pioneer are good.

Last edited by Blue Thunder : 11th March 2010 at 14:24.
Old 11th March 2010, 14:47   #36
Senior - BHPian

Wow information is pouring in...goood

Blue, if i could find a good used amp even that will work.
Old 11th March 2010, 15:12   #37
Senior - BHPian

You get some excellent deals here in Ritchie Street for used ones like denon, Nakamichi etc
Old 12th March 2010, 18:36   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
alpha thanks for the inputs, any idea on costing and have you used it?

esteem, its the shorter once. yea at the time of buying i was too keen on those speakers but they were expensive no that these came cheap but those went off my budget.

murali any idea on the range?
Yes I use it.
100/125W one. Cost around 10K
60W one costs around 7K.

You can directly contact the proprietor of the firm, via the website.

There is one DNM amp also.
And our venerable Ahuja (Ahuja Sound Solutions)

Indian amps are not fancy looking, and neither have too much of coloration like Denons and Marantz.
They simply get the job done (which is amplification)
Old 13th April 2010, 10:01   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...Blue, if i could find a good used amp even that will work.
I had been there last week...used Marantz/NAD/Yamaha stereo amps for Rs 4,500/- ...aesthetically very good (almost new looking), didnt demo them, though.
Old 19th July 2011, 20:46   #40
Senior - BHPian

Re: Amplifier Query

Need help. I am in the process of buying a new Amp for home. I already have floor standing speakers from Esota (some American brand bought long time back) which can take 200Wtts per channel at 4ohm.
Since i listen to Trance and house music, i need to upgrade my current amp which is again from Esota. One of the amp that i have selected is HK 3390. Does anyone know how this amp is?
I also wanted to know if there is an amp in Marantz portfolio which i can look for. On their website, i found PM5004, however the power output was only 45wtts at 4ohm whereas for HK its 100wtts. Is there any other amp from Marantz which has better wtts per channel than 5004?

I need SQ only but the amp should have the capacity to run smoothly for long hours at high volume without distortions.

Please help.
Old 20th July 2011, 09:52   #41
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
i have selected is HK 3390. i found PM5004, however the power output was only 45wtts at 4ohm whereas for HK its 100wtts. Is there any other amp from Marantz which has better wtts per channel than 5004?
Do consider Onkyo they offer good VFM.

The difference between 45W and 100W is a a triffle over 3db. I have not heard the HK but have heard the 5003 (predecessor of the 5004) and it a good amp.

The other brand that has impressed of late is NAD. NAD started out with a big bang (the venerable 3020) in the mid 70s then lost it's way in the late 90s. Now they are back.

Lastly do consider the max current specs. If these are not available check out how the amplifier perfroms at 8 ohms vs 4ohms vs 2ohms (of at all it is stable).
Old 20th July 2011, 18:36   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Lastly do consider the max current specs. If these are not available check out how the amplifier perfroms at 8 ohms vs 4ohms vs 2ohms (of at all it is stable).
Thanks Navin for your inputs. Could you please elaborate on the line above. I am sorry i didn't get it.
I know Marantz are real good however HK is giving me little more flexibility in terms of adding additional subs, AM/FM, higher watts etc. But but, i don't want to compromise on the sound quality hence little skeptical on HK and more inclined towards Marantz.
Will look out of Onkyo and NAD if i find them here in delhi.
Old 21st July 2011, 12:50   #43
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
Thanks Navin for your inputs. Could you please elaborate on the line above. I am sorry i didn't get it..
V= RI
P=VI

P is power in watts
V is voltage
I is current in amps
R is resistance

It follows that if R is halved and V is constant I should double. Hence P should double too.

V=20V
R=8ohms
then I = 20/8 = 2.5A and P = 20X2.5 = 50W
if R = 4 ohms then I = 5A and P = 100W
obviously this cant go on for ever as the output device will have a limit to the ammount of current it can carry and/or the power supply will have a limit to how much power it can deliver. Then are are other issues like heat. Traditional class AB amps only covert 50% of the energy in electrical power the rest is converted into heat. Class D amps produce siginifacntly less heat and so can be made smaller (useful for car audio especially subwoofers).

Ofcourse all this does NOT tell you how the amplifer will sound. SQ is largely subjective.

If you want to know more...read this review of a highly regarded amplifier designed by Nelson Pass (he called the technology used STASIS).
Threshold SA-1 monoblock power amplifier | Stereophile.com

A good book starter book I can recommend is this one
Audio Engineering Explained: Amazon.co.uk: Douglas Self: Books

once you get past the basics then read this one
Trade-Offs in Analog Circuit Design: The Designer's Companion: Amazon.co.uk: Chris Toumazou, George S. Moschytz, Barrie Gilbert: Books

Lastly if you need to know even more talk to the Gurus like LBM, Gunbir and B&T. I'd include Sam on this list too but his mind has gone engine-vengine on us ever since he got that Landy

Last edited by navin : 21st July 2011 at 12:54.
Old 21st July 2011, 18:09   #44
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Navin. By the way how is Cambridge audio? Today would be going to test few of the amps hence wanted to know about cambridge. Their price range is good and was told that they are VFM.

Last edited by nitinralli : 21st July 2011 at 18:11.
Old 22nd July 2011, 19:45   #45
Senior - BHPian

Ok, yesterday had 2 amps audited. Here's MY observations:

Amp 1: Cambridge Azur 350A. Liked the sound, was little (i mean very little) bright but that's what i liked. It had more of an open sound which i personally like. Specs were decent with 45wtts. And the best part was price.

Amp:2 NAD 326BEE: Now this amp was little powerful than Cambridge 350 at 50 wtts hence sounded better. However it was little less brighter than Camb, and that's the reason i was confused with it. Price was higher than Cambridge though.

Now tomorrow is the "THE" day to buy an amp. Could not audition Yamaha or Onkyo as i was told by the guy of the shop that these amps are no longer in the same league as Cam and NAD. They are more into Barista, cafe coffee day kinda amps (that's exactly what he said).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks