Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th November 2022, 19:24   #46
BHPian

Re: The computer mouse thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samfromindia View Post
Considering a mouse lasts more than a PC, its a good idea to invest a little more $ on your purchase
In my experience, mice are more like consumable hardware - they never last more than 3-4 years at most irrespective of brand/ model. So I don't think it is prudent to spend too much.

Back in the days when I used to play FPS games with a mouse (you know, firing button), I had to budget one every 2 years on an average. So kept the budget low. These days though, I use controllers so the mouse is not abused.

The longest a mouse lasted was my first one, a Logitech mechanical mouse bought in 2002, for 6 years. Those models just needed a little bit cleaning the contacts after popping out the trackball, then would work as new. They were also more ergonomical. Mine gave up because the wire snapped. They don't make such quality these days.
mayukh42 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2022, 00:16   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post
I need a mouse that lasts long and costs around Rs. 300 to 800.
Based on my personal experience I will say, when I joined my current organization, they gave me this mouse: Logitech M170 which is still working after almost 5 yrs of professional use.

https://www.logitech.com/en-in/produ...10-004655.html

There must be many updated models like M171 or something else. Find a good deal and take your pick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
How come? My last laptop worked fine for 10 years, the current one is around 4 years old. The mice on the other hand conk off much sooner. I have spent a max of $60 on a mouse and that is the one that lasted the least.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayukh42 View Post
In my experience, mice are more like consumable hardware - they never last more than 3-4 years at most irrespective of brand/ model. So I don't think it is prudent to spend too much.
I don't know about you guys, but most of my peripherals are still in usable condition so far, right from ones I used in college from 2004.

Gaming Laptop Setup 2012
The computer mouse thread-img_0683.jpg

Gaming Laptop Setup 2020
The computer mouse thread-img_3382.jpg

Yes you can use a 10yr old laptop, but its like saying I can use my Nokia N70 (which is still in working condition for me) to take calls and send SMS leaving my Galaxy S20+. To put things in perspective, spec difference of my 2009 Laptop vs 2019 are like:

4GB RAM vs 32GB
512 GB HDD VS 1280 GB SSD + 1024GB HDD
512 MB VRAM (Radeon HD 4570) VS 6GB VRAM (GTX 1660TI)

and not to mention the display, processor and quality of life improvements that happened over the years.

Meanwhile if I compare the decade old mice (Naga) vs the new Legion one (which I got for the led and aesthetics) are like:

5600 vs 16000 DPI (Most use 1600-2000 DPI)
Same 1K Hz polling rate

The Lenovo mouse has got adjustable weights, but Naga has the extra buttons which is a god send for MMO. I still have my first gaming mouse, the Logitech MX 518, served me for over 5yrs before developing the lose wire connection issue. That can be easily fixed by opening the mouse and soldering the wires, or getting a cheap donor mouse to take the wire & connector. But I had a surplus of mouse so didn't bother to fix it. Maybe someday I will restore it.

The Xbox 360 wired controller you see above is from 2007 and still working now as a champ. It survived so many abuses over the years. I recently got the Xbox Series X controller for the wireless Bluetooth functionality, however I keep going back to my 15yr old 360 controller as I like its ergonomics more.

Last edited by Samfromindia : 17th November 2022 at 00:18.
Samfromindia is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th November 2022, 15:02   #48
BHPian

Quote:

Yes you can use a 10yr old laptop, but its like saying I can use my Nokia N70

The Xbox 360 wired controller you see above is from 2007 and still working now as a champ. It survived so many abuses over the years
Laptop is a little OT in the discussion of peripherals, but nonetheless, IMO a device can last for years if we use it in the way it was engineered. Mostly the issue is we want to run newer software on older hardware, which puts them in no-man's land. If we run old software in old hardware, they will outlive our expectations.

Peripherals, not so much. They will last depending on usage and luck. But in older times, we used to get much better quality for the price than today.

I concur with that X360 controller. I have exact same model from 2011, and after a thousand drops to the floor, joystick drifts which I opened and fixed, it still works and the feedback especially on racing games still beats anything latest.
mayukh42 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2022, 16:00   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Is there a non RGB, 5 button wired mouse available for work purpose? All the wired 5 button options are gaming mouse with RGB on amazon/flipkart.

Thanks
Old 26th November 2022, 00:04   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Is there a non RGB, 5 button wired mouse available for work purpose? All the wired 5 button options are gaming mouse with RGB on amazon/flipkart.

Thanks
Most gaming mouse can turn off RGB in case you find it distracting, so they will fit your requirement with lights off.

Do you want the wired option to save cost or for performance / no charge hassle ? In wireless these are some great options for work. Some of them can work in wired mode also by attaching a USB C cable

https://www.logitech.com/en-in/produ...10-005992.html

https://www.logitech.com/en-in/produ...10-006561.html
Old 26th November 2022, 10:37   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Most gaming mouse can turn off RGB in case you find it distracting, so they will fit your requirement with lights off.

Do you want the wired option to save cost or for performance / no charge hassle ? In wireless these are some great options for work. Some of them can work in wired mode also by attaching a USB C cable
OK. Good to know I can turn off the RGB lights.

Wired option only from cost POV since this mouse will be shared by one more person and I do not wish to put a lot of money. In case something goes wrong there won't be a blame game on who damaged the mouse and I can discard the mouse and get a new one. I do not wish to spend too much money but still want a 5 button mouse since I use the back and forward buttons a lot. There are no 5 button mouse under 1000 bucks
Old 26th November 2022, 11:14   #52
BHPian

Having been a proponent of Logitech products simply because they have good after sales service i was done with Logitech mice and their double click issues, even in my replaced mice. I switched to Asus Gladius and couldn't be happier. They come with an extra set of optical switches which are easily replaceable.
Old 29th November 2022, 02:11   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Is there a non RGB, 5 button wired mouse available for work purpose?
Quote:
... I do not wish to spend too much money but still want a 5 button mouse since I use the back and forward buttons a lot. There are no 5 button mouse under 1000 bucks
Would this help - Dell MS3220 Wired Laser Mouse?
KryptonMonkey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2022, 09:43   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KryptonMonkey View Post
Thanks. I think this will meet my needs
Old 16th April 2024, 15:05   #55
Team-BHP Support

Was using a Logitech MX MAster 3 sine 2021 when it was launched. This is their flagship mouse. Last week it stopped working and just showed a red light flashing.

However Logitech has no support for their products in India.

Raised a complaint and was told no repair or service of mouse even for the 10K flagship mouse!

If inside warranty they replace with a new one without asking any questions and if out of warranty they don't do anything.

Least expectation if they don't repair would be to allow me to buy a new mx master 3 from them at 50% in exchange of the broken one.

What's the point of having a 10K mouse and throwing it away in 2 years. Will stay away from logitech from now especially the premium stuff. I got a Razer Basilisk now.

The MX MAster 3 is a very good mouse with one flaw, the scroll wheel accumulates dust in a cavity below the wheel and then slowly the scroll gets harder and less free. This caused the scroll to not work and then when I sprayed some IPA cleaner (when off), it never turned back on.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th April 2024, 20:01   #56
BHPian

I am using a logitech G203 Lightsync wired mouse. This is a lightweight RGB enabled gaming mouse, though i use it for every day use. Extremely ergonomic mouse and got a good deal in an Amazon sale at almost 70% off. The clicks, buttons and response time of this mouse are second to none and even with my regular heavy use, this has given no reason to complain. Further, unlike some other gaming mouse, this is very lightweight and small (relatively) in size; which helps.
Old 18th April 2024, 12:47   #57
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Raised a complaint and was told no repair or service of mouse even for the 10K flagship mouse!
Am super pissed off with Logitech too.

I have literally used 15+ high-end mice in my lifetime, and all of them have been Logitech.

ALL of them have also failed in exactly the same way.... the click buttons start to malfunction (either miss clicks, or "drop" the button-press during a drag action, etc).

After spending so much money on a MX Master 2S (in fact, I've bought 2 of them), I was super pissed when a failing button rendered the mouse completely unusable!

Email to Logi support (Aug 2020):
Hello,

I've been a Logitech user for close to 30 years now, and have owned over 40 Logitech products (ranging from the MX900, several MX500, MX 518, Harmony Remotes, Webcams, Wireless Keyboard, Speakers, Sidewinder Joysticks, G27 Racing wheel and more).

When it comes to mice - I've always & only bought Logitech.

I've always bought the high-end Logitech mice, and I'm sorry to say that EVERY SINGLE ONE has stopped working the exact same way, where one of the click buttons starts to malfunction.

Now usually this happens after several years of heavy use, and it's understandable due to the wear and tear.

Exactly 2 years ago I purchased the MX Master 2S -- which is the top of the line bluetooth mouse. (Amazon invoice attached)

A few weeks ago, the thumb button just started to get pressed on it's own. Because of that button being stuck the mouse cursor would stop moving entirely - making the entire mouse unusable.

There's SEVERAL youtube videos and website articles about this problem -- which shows that this is clearly a defect with the manufacturing & quality of the MX Master 2S.

I have in fact bought a SECOND MX Master 2S in February 2020. (Amazon invoice also attached).

I was really looking forward to purchasing a new MX Master 3 soon as well... but am scared of the same issue.

The fact that such an expensive mouse just fails and stops doing its job in less that 2 years of very careful use is a major fault.

I would really like Logitech to take responsibility and have this replaced under goodwill warranty, given my longstanding loyalty as a Logitech customer, and the fact that this is clearly a very common problem (ie. manufacturing defect) with the MX Master 2S.

Look forward to hearing back on how we could resolve this.

Best Regards,
Rehaan.
------

They replied being absolutely unhelpful, and effectively telling me to go suck an egg.

Needless to say, I absolutely DO NOT want to buy another Logitech mouse.

I know Razer might have circumvented this in some of their premium mice by using optical switches(buttons) instead of mechanical ones. That sounds like a MUCH better solution. Amazed that Logitech hasn't done the same.

----------------------------

Since I got zero help from Logitech, I had to take matters into my own hands.

Found several videos online of just loosening up the PCB that holds the thumb switch, and that gives it some room to become un-depressed -- but it still doesn't function perfectly; but at least the mouse starts working/moving again.

Couldn't even find an easy replacement for the button/PCB.

The computer mouse thread-logitech-mx-master-2-thumb-button-pxl_20220520_050608746.mp.jpg

Last edited by Rehaan : 18th April 2024 at 12:55.
Rehaan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th April 2024, 16:13   #58
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post

Since I got zero help from Logitech, I had to take matters into my own hands.

Found several videos online of just loosening up the PCB that holds the thumb switch, and that gives it some room to become un-depressed -- but it still doesn't function perfectly; but at least the mouse starts working/moving again.

Couldn't even find an easy replacement for the button/PCB.

Attachment 2595690
Have been an MX Master 2S user since 2019. Have done these steps twice. Other than this problem, I am really satisfied with the mouse. Ofcourse, such a problem shouldn't exist in the first place.
AYP is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks