Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2008, 13:26   #1
BHPian

blackberry on iphone

Hi, anybody here using blackberry servieces on iphone, i have to decide between i phone and e 90,
W.Ajay
Old 5th February 2008, 15:13   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Hello Ajay,

You do not need to use blackberry push email on an iPhone.
In New Delhi, using airtel I was able to successfully configure POP3 mail on an iPhone, both send and receive.
Just like BlackBerry, i also configured it to leave a copy of the message on the mail server, so it would still appear in outlook, entourage or whatever mail program you use.
You have to make sure that the EDGE services on your account are active.

This phone belongs to Tausif, the manager for JBL in New Delhi. I believe the 2 of you are friends. Ask him.
Old 5th February 2008, 22:19   #3
BHPian

you can use the push imap application from installer in the iphone to make it work like a blackberry
Old 5th February 2008, 23:30   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
You have to make sure that the EDGE services on your account are active.

This phone belongs to Tausif, the manager for JBL in New Delhi. I believe the 2 of you are friends. Ask him.
I'm using my iPhone to manage my emails the same way that Sam has described & it works like a charm!
Old 6th February 2008, 00:18   #5
Senior - BHPian

as far as I know, mobile operators use different servers for blackbery. which is one reason they are faster than other mail/internet services.

but technically it is possible to configure other phones (like iphone) to access blackbery services provided you pay them blackbery fees.
Old 6th February 2008, 10:14   #6
aZa
Senior - BHPian

While POP3 works, there is a "Mail for exchange" s/w for Nokia that will enable Push mail on all Nokia Symbian devices.
Old 6th February 2008, 15:38   #7
Senior - BHPian

There is no BBConnect for iPhone. e90 comes pre-loaded with BBConnect 4, or one can download.

The nifty thing about the BB service is the alert for new mail that appears on your phone (Push tech), and OTA calender synchronization (meeting requests from others appear on your phone's Scheduler/Calendar automatically). With plain old POP3 one has to periodically check with the server (Pull tech refresh).

Of course, beyond those alerts and synchs, the BB MDS server (if installed in your company) allows you secure access to enterprise applications. If there is no application access required through MDS, other Push or Pull technologies also work just fine for emails - it is your preference for the alerts that should be the deciding factor. If your mail server is MS Exchange (2003 SP2 onwards), MS Direct Push on WM6 mobiles is a good option.
Old 6th February 2008, 15:44   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
With plain old POP3 one has to periodically check with the server (Pull tech refresh).
The iPhone can be configured to automatically check mail every X minutes.
Old 6th February 2008, 16:33   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
as far as I know, mobile operators use different servers for blackbery. which is one reason they are faster than other mail/internet services.

but technically it is possible to configure other phones (like iphone) to access blackbery services provided you pay them blackbery fees.
Blackberry also uses a very high level of encryption, so your packet data (i.e., GPRS/EDGE/3G/HSDPA) usage and download times are reduced drastically.

In order to use Blackberry services you need a blackberry client - I do not believe there is one for the iPhone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
There is no BBConnect for iPhone. e90 comes pre-loaded with BBConnect 4, or one can download.

The nifty thing about the BB service is the alert for new mail that appears on your phone (Push tech), and OTA calender synchronization (meeting requests from others appear on your phone's Scheduler/Calendar automatically). With plain old POP3 one has to periodically check with the server (Pull tech refresh).

Of course, beyond those alerts and synchs, the BB MDS server (if installed in your company) allows you secure access to enterprise applications. If there is no application access required through MDS, other Push or Pull technologies also work just fine for emails - it is your preference for the alerts that should be the deciding factor. If your mail server is MS Exchange (2003 SP2 onwards), MS Direct Push on WM6 mobiles is a good option.
Microsoft Direct Push does much the same as Blackberry does, and is much simpler because it is not service-provider specific. Blackberry services are linked to your Service provider, so you can have BB on Airtel but not on another service provider unless you sign up for BB with them again (and pay the monthly fees - BB is not cheap).

The Microsoft solution however (and the Nokia Intellisync too) is not service-provider specific. This is particularly useful when you're roaming - with BB you pay a separate BB Roaming fee or end up paying for GPRS usage on roaming networks, but with the MS solution you simply put in a local SIM and start using your Pushmail on the same.

Having used Blackberry, Intellisync and MS Direct Push, I'm a big fan of the latter. It is the simplest solution that does not tie you up to a device or service provider.

Getting back to the topic, I guess the only option on the iPhone is a scheduled pull. It doesnt support OTA sync or any other functionality.
Old 6th February 2008, 18:32   #10
BHPian

Thanks all,
am using BB from last one year, only problem am facing is whenever i have to travel outside am paying heavy charges for third party tie ups,
Now my one problem is solved
Now am thinking to buy E90/ iphone and then get subscribed to EDGE
and am sure then i can use the internet on my laptop as well
any suggestions which handset should I go for...
Cheers
W.A
Old 7th February 2008, 12:02   #11
Senior - BHPian

I'd suggest E90, since
* The applications set in Series 90 on Symbian is for serious business users (utilities for reading most document formats, including FAX)
* Has support for BB AND all other pull mechanisms
* Has a decent media player
* Has a decent browser
* Has 3G
* May not have the sex appeal of an iPhone, but does set you apart from the crowd (a la Vertu)
Old 7th February 2008, 12:09   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4_attitude View Post
am using BB from last one year, only problem am facing is whenever i have to travel outside am paying heavy charges for third party tie ups,
Why don't you get the Airtel Unlimited Plan for your BB? That's what I had on mine (I say "had" because I now use a Treo) & I cannot recollect any additional browsing charges ever paid by me irrespective of where I travelled
Old 7th February 2008, 16:56   #13
Senior - BHPian

Just saw this thread. I'd also back using the E90 for 2 reasons:

1) If you need to type anything longer than the typical SMS, I think the iPhone's SIP would be a pain. The E90's internal keyboard on the other hand is a breeze! With my E90, I can type as fast as I do with my desktop keyboard.

) You have five options for email:

a) BlackBerry Connect.

b) Built-in Symbian Client (with phone set to check for email every x minutes).

c) ProfiMail from LonelyCatGames gives you all the benefits of a full email client, and you can download and read HTML email. I think the SW is about $25.

d) Free PUSH email from Cortado. The only issue here s that you'll need Mail for Exchange (can be downloaded onto E90 from Nokia's E90 downloads). But here's the bummer, you'll lose the option of Syncing with PC Suite if you use Mail for Exchange. I'd setup an account with Cortado, but gave up, because I need to able to Sync with my Lappie over PC Suite.

e) Use RoadSync. But again, to use this, your office must be using MS Exchange Server. No use otherwise.

(BTW, all these 5 options are available in any Symbian S60 V3 phone,and not just the E90).
Old 7th February 2008, 16:59   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
J With my E90, I can type as fast as I do with my desktop keyboard.

) You have five options for email:
You forget Nokia Intellisync.
Old 7th February 2008, 17:06   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4_attitude View Post
Thanks all,
Really?? Wow, I had no idea about this, must check my phone bills.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks