Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2009, 13:47   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dushmish View Post
That was some very valuable advice AK916. If you could please help me understand 50X7, what does it mean? I am told that a magnification more than 10X can not be managed without a tripod. I know nothin about binocs and their optics.
The 50 stands for 50mm, which is the size of the the objective lens. what it means is that the diameter of the lens that is away from your eye is 50 mm. The larger the lens, the more light it gathers. The more light it gathers, it can "see" fainter objects more clearly. However, bigger objective lens also means more expensive and heavy. 7 X is the magnification. The higher the magnification, the more difficult it becomes to hold them steady, thus requiring a tripod.

I think Nikon has one for about 4-5k. Olympus should be cheaper than Nikons, generally speaking. Buy from a reputed dealer, even if you end up paying 10-15% more.

Let me know if there are any other questions. I will be glad to help with whatever little I know.
Old 24th February 2009, 13:53   #32
Senior - BHPian

Pixetra is a very good place to buy Celestron Telescopes.I think they are located in Cunningham road in bangalore.
I purchased a 4" refractive Celestron few moths back from Pixetra in Hyderabad and am enjoying it.
Old 24th February 2009, 14:22   #33
Team-BHP Support

Using my very basic Olympus snapped this pic. Look for the sun in the centre of the picture. That is Golconda Fort.

Telescopes & Binoculars anyone?-clear.jpg

Golconda fort but using my 45 X 7 Russian binoculars bought by my dad in Dubai.
Telescopes & Binoculars anyone?-mag.jpg

The pics were taken at different times of the day and w/o the use of any tripod.
Old 24th February 2009, 14:46   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak916 View Post
I think a binoculars will serve both of you well. With the range that you are talking about, you should be able to get a good pair of binoculars. Observing through a telescope is a little difficult at first and it doesnt make sense until you know the sky a little. A pair binoculars gives you a wide field of view, making spotting things in the sky easier than looking through a telescope. A good book, like "turn left at orion" is definitely recommended. You can later "upgrade" to a scope after you are fairly familiar with the sky.

Most people who jumped in and bought a telescope were permanently turned off from the hobby, either because they were disappointed that they dint see "hubble" quality images. Or because they invested a lot of money buying the largest aperture (6" reflectors and above) they could afford and dint have the patience to lug the 30 odd kilos around everynight to view the sky.

With binocs, you can see craters on the moon, and lots and lots of stars that arent visible with the naked eye. I think a 50x7 or higher magnification will be ideal for both your needs.

Visit your local planetarium for more information on developing sky-watching as a hobby.

Thats what I found out! Images are not like hubble . Stupid me.
Binocs are good if you can get them onto the tripod.
Old 24th February 2009, 17:24   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Using my very basic Olympus snapped this pic. Look for the sun in the centre of the picture. That is Golconda Fort.

Attachment 104461

Attachment 104462

The pics were taken at different times of the day and w/o the use of any tripod.
Thanks for the pictures. It gives a great idea of what binoculars are capable of doing!
Old 24th February 2009, 18:08   #36
Team-BHP Support

To give a better idea this is zoomed in using the 3X zoom in my camera.

Telescopes & Binoculars anyone?-one.jpg
Old 10th March 2009, 14:03   #37
BHPian

buying a binocular

Hi all,
I want to buy a binocular under 5k. I need some hints on which make and models. I want to use it for some time before buying a telescope and will be using it while trekking. Suggestions about shops in Bangalore will be very helpful.
I have seen a Celestron up close 10x50 for 2600Rs in Pixetra, can i buy that? it was a sealed pack - i could not check it.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by mohang_j : 10th March 2009 at 14:05.
Old 10th March 2009, 14:14   #38
Team-BHP Support

binoculars | miscellaneous | electronics

The Olympus look nice.
Old 10th March 2009, 14:33   #39
BHPian

Hi people! Bought myself a pair of binocs from Olympus 10X50 over the weekend. It is very good for a novice like me. A little heavy though at close to 800 gms. Paid Rs 3000 for it. Bought from Tejraj in Mumbai. Got the reco on this thread itself. The Nikon one was very expensive. He quoted Rs 8000 for it. Was telling me that the optics are far supirior.

Have got a tripod adpaptor for it. How do I use my digicam to click pics through the binocs?
Old 10th March 2009, 14:44   #40
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dushmish View Post
Have got a tripod adpaptor for it. How do I use my digicam to click pics through the binocs?

This is how I do it.
Focussed the binoculars for my vision.
Camera lens stuck into the binoculars eye piece.
Verify image in the camera screen.
Click.

No tripod.
Rock Steady Hands though.
Old 10th March 2009, 20:05   #41
Senior - BHPian

Can you post some pics that you have taken by this method? And since you don't use a tripod, must've some real rock steady hand...

One hand holding the binocs and the other holding the camera and sticking it to the binocs' eyepiece....

Quote:
This is how I do it.
Focussed the binoculars for my vision.
Camera lens stuck into the binoculars eye piece.
Verify image in the camera screen.
Click.
Old 10th March 2009, 20:59   #42
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Can you post some pics that you have taken by this method? And since you don't use a tripod, must've some real rock steady hand...

One hand holding the binocs and the other holding the camera and sticking it to the binocs' eyepiece....

Already uploaded in this thread.

maybe I am in the wrong industry.

Quote:

Attachment 104461

Attachment 104462

Last edited by bblost : 10th March 2009 at 21:12.
Old 11th March 2009, 11:01   #43
Team-BHP Support

Rock steady

Telescopes & Binoculars anyone?-p1010176.jpg
Telescopes & Binoculars anyone?-p1010175.jpg
Telescopes & Binoculars anyone?-p1010177.jpg

Pictures of the Charminar and Mecca Masjid taken today morning using the method already described.

My Camera is Olympus D-580.
Its a 4MP camera with 3X optical zoom.

The images were taken in the max setting, then using irfanview I reduced the size to 640*480 and did a auto colour enhance.

Comments people, looks like I have a new hobby now.

If I lived near a beach in Europe, I might have a new website idea.

Last edited by bblost : 11th March 2009 at 11:07.
Old 29th October 2009, 17:59   #44
BHPian

Guys, Why is no one talking about building a telescope?? affordable and practical....
Old 3rd November 2009, 21:47   #45

Taking pictures through binoculars is ok for fun but not for any serious pictures. Making a telescope? If you are thinking of making one with an ordinary lens, you will be unpleasantly surprised with the quality and "speed"!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks