Team-BHP - Which UPS to buy ?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Gadgets, Computers & Software (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/)
-   -   Which UPS to buy ? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/35953-ups-buy-11.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by VindyWheels (Post 2697056)
Hi,

Can anyone suggest a solution for 5-10 mins backup for internet wi-fi modem? The apartment has gen backup but by the time gen turns on the internet modem goes off and takestime to function again.

Thanks

VW

Some cheap UPS like Intex/Luminous should do for this. I had a similar requirement and i bought a Intex UPS for 1000bucks from Nehru Place.

Quote:

Originally Posted by .anshuman (Post 2697076)
Some cheap UPS like Intex/Luminous should do for this. I had a similar requirement and i bought a Intex UPS for 1000bucks from Nehru Place.

Unfortunately, the so-much-talked-about APC UPS I have- always misses to deliver power (to the modem) for fraction of a second, leading to disconnection in internet connection.

In fact, very dissatisfied with this so-called UPS-es! :Frustrati

^^^Which modem do you have? When I was using a Huawei modem, I had the same experience. However, after that I'v used UTStar, Terracom and one more brand which I cannot recall. No issues with them at all. They have never disconnected even once. All this on the same APC UPS.

I'm very happy with my APC UPS (4-5 years old). They are possibly the best options.

Quote:

Originally Posted by VindyWheels (Post 2697056)
Can anyone suggest a solution for 5-10 mins backup for internet wi-fi modem? The apartment has gen backup but by the time gen turns on the internet modem goes off and takestime to function again.

Similar requirement as above: I need power for a couple of mins before the generator comes alive. However, in addition to the modem+router, I want to keep a couple of more things powered as well:
- Tatasky PVR (22W standby, 36W active)
- Cordless phone base station (maybe < 20W)
- A NAS drive very soon (should be < 20W)

From the specs, it appears that the cheapest APC should be good enough for >10mins backup. (link: http://www.apc.com/products/resource...otal_watts=200)

Any negative user feedback about APC or this model?

Cheers,
Su-47

^^ Going with my bad experiences with APC(a PC UPS and a home UPS) i would prefer any Desi UPS like Luminous for such use.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Su-47 (Post 2770889)
APC Back-UPS 600, 230V without auto shutdown software, India)

Any negative user feedback about APC or this model?

Cheers,
Su-47

Well, not with this model, but my APC Back-500 (or something like that) cannot even pull the Airtel Modem, a router and a Pana cordless! There is always a power drop leading to internet disconnection... and re-connection again. :Frustrati

Not satisfied at all!!

Well, before you blame your APC UPS, just check if you have the same issue with a UPS of some other brand.

APC is good for power requirements of 3KVA and above. For lower requirements, brands like Luminous, Microtek, Intex and Beetel serve the purpose better.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raccoon
Well, before you blame your APC UPS, just check if you have the same issue with a UPS of some other brand.

Good proposition, but how do I test it without actually buying the other one?

Recently, after a 4 hrs out-of-home duty, came back to see that this ***#* UPS, who was connected to only the Pana cordless is with red LED and throwing a continuous beep! Thr light and beep continued well past I disconnected it from the power supply, with the ON/OFF switch having no effect. Later I googled and found out this symptom means, it (or the battery?) went kaput due to overload. Hah!! Overload due to a cordless!

All I have realised that it does not make any sense in buying even the world's best in India, where Customer Service is dream come true.
My love with APC (i have another sibling though) would come to a halt.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Concorde (Post 2771224)
For lower requirements, brands like Luminous, Microtek, Intex and Beetel serve the purpose better.

Quote:

Originally Posted by animdas (Post 2771124)
Well, not with this model, but my APC Back-500 (or something like that) cannot even pull the Airtel Modem,....

Quote:

Originally Posted by .anshuman (Post 2770971)
^^ Going with my bad experiences with APC(a PC UPS and a home UPS) i would prefer any Desi UPS like Luminous for such use.

To make sure that I get this right: Are Indian manufacturers better than APC? Or, are they a better value proposition?

If they are better, any recommendations on which one in particular is recommended especially in terms of after sales service?

Another thing, since this UPS would be visible, aesthetics can't be completely ignored.

Cheers,
Su-47

Quote:

Originally Posted by animdas (Post 2771248)
Good proposition, but how do I test it without actually buying the other one?

Recently, after a 4 hrs out-of-home duty, came back to see that this ***#* UPS, who was connected to only the Pana cordless is with red LED and throwing a continuous beep! Thr light and beep continued well past I disconnected it from the power supply, with the ON/OFF switch having no effect. Later I googled and found out this symptom means, it (or the battery?) went kaput due to overload. Hah!! Overload due to a cordless!

All I have realised that it does not make any sense in buying even the world's best in India, where Customer Service is dream come true.
My love with APC (i have another sibling though) would come to a halt.

Sorry to hear that. It seems your battery might be faulty. Why don't you check it or get it checked? Haven't you called APC service? They are supposed to be quite good. No personaln experience with their service though, as I'v never needed it. Touch wood.

Personally, after my experience with smaller names like DCM Powercom, iBall, etc., I'd not want to touch anything except APC. A friend who is an elect. engg. and who also runs a shop for repairing elect. stuff also told me APC has the best power filtering he has seen in the Indian market.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Su-47 (Post 2771466)
To make sure that I get this right: Are Indian manufacturers better than APC? Or, are they a better value proposition?

If they are better, any recommendations on which one in particular is recommended especially in terms of after sales service?

Another thing, since this UPS would be visible, aesthetics can't be completely ignored.

Cheers,
Su-47

They are better value. Not because they are inferior products but just because APC has better service and brand image. Go for APC only if they can offer an extended warranty or AMC which will have you covered. I have heard too many complaints about APC for this power output range. You could also consider Emerson. Follow the link -https://www.emersonnetworkpower.co.in/channels/Common.aspx?id=M5A1r1u+D/U= Do find how the service for a particular brand in your area is before making a decision.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raccoon (Post 2772387)
Sorry to hear that. It seems your battery might be faulty. Why don't you check it or get it checked? Haven't you called APC service? They are supposed to be quite good. No personaln experience with their service though, as I'v never needed it. Touch wood.

Once you are out of warranty and if anything happens- you are in trouble. I'll leave the contact-ability for time being.

Last time, when I replaced battery, they said it has to be a local battery- and APC cannot guarantee that stuff- only the local supplier/service provider will provide it!

I had no choice then- but now I have!

^^^Didn't quite understand that - "they said it has to be a local battery?" You mean APC service said they will install a local battery??

Anyway, why bother with them about the battery? Take your old battery and buy good new one like say Base Terminal from a local shop. When the batt that came with my APC UPS kicked the bucket, I just put in the battery of my awful Powercom UPS and plonked it in the APC. It worked for over a year despite being quite old and was lying probably in discharged state for ages. Now its on the verge of giving up, so I'll need a new one soon.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raccoon (Post 2774627)
^^^Didn't quite understand that - "they said it has to be a local battery?" You mean APC service said they will install a local battery??

Yes, they had said the last time.

Quote:

Anyway, why bother with them about the battery? Take your old battery and buy good new one like say Base Terminal from a local shop. When the batt that came with my APC UPS kicked the bucket, I just put in the battery of my awful Powercom UPS and plonked it in the APC. It worked for over a year despite being quite old and was lying probably in discharged state for ages. Now its on the verge of giving up, so I'll need a new one soon.
I am not that confident in this DIY stuff. Moreover, I do not know whether it is the battery which has conked off- this time!
Still thinking whether to call APC or invest in something else!