Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2008, 21:00   #31
Senior - BHPian

I am also inclining to get R S 1500 without additional battery . Have a 22" Lcd with CPU tower running at 2.00 ghz (speed stepping enabled) + 2 hdds .

I am expecting 2 + hrs backup , inputs need on this .

Thanks
Old 10th July 2008, 21:37   #32
BHPian

It has to be an APC. Although its pricey, they offer a very good after sales support. These guys dont repair the unit if it doesnt work, they just replace the entire thing. Very good VFM.

One of my old APC's for my computer caught fire and they replaced it within 2 working days, even though it was out of warranty.
Old 11th July 2008, 20:25   #33
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiftron View Post
It has to be an APC. Although its pricey, they offer a very good after sales support. These guys dont repair the unit if it doesnt work, they just replace the entire thing. Very good VFM.

One of my old APC's for my computer caught fire and they replaced it within 2 working days, even though it was out of warranty.
I have 4 APCs and have always felt that they were good but I also had one which caught fire.Luckily I smelt the smoke outside the door - otherwise my office might have just burned down.

Hearing another episode like this is scary.

Quote:
I am using Sukam Inverter/UPS 1400 VA with two battreis. It gives me 6-8 hrs back up (Maybe more not tried)

You can go for a smaller one which is 800va with a single battery will give you 4-5 hrs back up if single PC is used. will cost you 5+7k approx
I have two Sukam 1.7 KV UPSs for my OTs and they are fantastic with maintenance free batteries. Backs up all my electronics in my OT [for very short times though - just till the genset kicks in]

So I have had a good experience with Sukam as well as APC [although like I said hearing another episode of a fire is scary].
Old 15th July 2008, 05:59   #34
BHPian

It might just be the batteries as i used to keep it on every second of the day. With the kind of power fluctuation that we have, i wont be surprised with more of such incidents. But again, good that you noticed it soon.
Old 17th July 2008, 15:04   #35
BHPian

My vote goes to APC. Haven't experience a Sukam. But after reading the reviews here, looks like a good alternative for APC.
Old 18th July 2008, 17:05   #36
BHPian

Some more confusion for my invertor search

1.APC /SuKum
2.Sine Wave must?
3.Tube Battery ?
Old 18th July 2008, 17:56   #37
Senior - BHPian

Install Sine Wave inverter

I feel that APC is cheater and much pricey compare to other good quality inverter/UPS. They sell Square Wave Inverter for price which no body can beleive.

I am using SuKam UPS/inverter for last 2 years. It is giving me fantastic service. I am using it in Bangalore as well as in my hometown.

My Setup is

1. Sukam 800 VA Pure SINE WAVE inverter cum UPS (Sukam has both the mode)
2. 180 Ah Amco battery (normal battery)

However you can go for tubular type of battery with increased life of battery. Always go for some good brand battery. There are so many local brands available.

This setup is ideal for 4 fans, 4 tubelights, 1 TV.

What APC sell is complete square wave or modified sine wave inverters and their battery capacity is much less (100 Ah or 12 Ah) as per requirements. Square wave inverter is never good for your fan, TV, music system etc.

If you are planning to run some sophisticated gadgets then just install Pure Sine Wave inverter. Do not ever go for Square Wave Inverter. You can go for Modified Sine Wave but sine wave would be ideal.

<For more information just google about inverter.>
Old 24th July 2008, 21:58   #38
Senior - BHPian

APC 's BI1000 is pure sine wave 1000va inverter . Cost about ~8k for inverter only .

BI1000va +2 batteries of 80 AH each will cost 27 K . These batteries will be in series to give 24 volts 80 AH total .

Is this set up worth for branded model or Su kam 1.4 KVA with 2 batteries cost 24 k or something .

All confused which one to buy .

My major concern is to keep it in side the home , due to lead acid maintenance , gases ,fumes ..?

Last edited by black12rr : 24th July 2008 at 22:02.
Old 25th July 2008, 11:50   #39
Senior - BHPian

I heard Sukam Sealed Maintenance Free Batteries are good and do not release toxic gases, however they have low life of 2-3 years only. Which can mean significant cost towards batteries.

I am considering buying Exide UPS EL+ tubular batteries and keeping them outside the house. Inverter will be inside the house to protect from environment, with minimum distance possible between the batteries and the inverter.
Old 25th July 2008, 13:41   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

One hour "Power Holiday" every day here now.

My RS1500 with additional battery pack is seeing me through it nicely.
Old 25th July 2008, 15:00   #41
BHPian

apc is nice-really a trusted brand now.go for that only.
Old 25th July 2008, 21:20   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST7677 View Post
I heard Sukam Sealed Maintenance Free Batteries are good and do not release toxic gases, however they have low life of 2-3 years only. Which can mean significant cost towards batteries.

I am considering buying Exide UPS EL+ tubular batteries and keeping them outside the house. Inverter will be inside the house to protect from environment, with minimum distance possible between the batteries and the inverter.
The distance b/e inverter and batteries should be max 1.5 meters after that you get voltage drop of .5 volts every meter . This is what the guy who deals with battery told me . This increased my confusion .
Old 27th July 2008, 01:08   #43
Senior - BHPian

yes that may be correct. Because the voltage is very low so current will be very high. Which means high resistance of wire, hence voltage drop.

I would maintain the distance within 1.5 m.
Old 16th April 2009, 15:55   #44
Senior - BHPian

Can somebody suggest a good 'Online UPS' brand.

Preferably on the cheaper side and around 500 va. Please provide some user experience, price and feedback.

My current model APC ES500 va is very unsatisfactory and does not retain my modem connection after switchover probably because it takes a longer time and is 'line interactive'. Anyhow I am completely fed up of it and have decided to shift to 'Online UPS' for stability.

Which brands in Online UPS's should I look out for
Old 17th April 2009, 02:10   #45
Senior - BHPian

^^^Dude, you just got fed up of the best UPS available in the Indian market. After using some other brands, APC is like the best thing that happened to me... lol!

But yes, even my BSNL Huawei modem reboots if power fails. And it reboots not just with the APC but even with the other brands.

Whatever you buy, please stay miles away from Powercom / DCM Powercom). In short, it was one of the worst products I'v had in my life.

As for online UPSs, they dont come "on the cheaper side". Thats why most are line interactive. And if some local brand offers you something relatively cheap, please be very, very suspicious. Even brands like iBall, etc are of very poor quality.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks